Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• Agree with @federica‌, the moon is amazing. Yesterday was a blood moon. Thought it was the sun at first. Been watching the moon all evening. 3D Sky on TV, hundreds of channels and watching the clouds and moon is far more fun . . .

Here is a pic at 30x with my camera this evening, you should be able to see far more . . . Good luck with spotting aliens. Lobster says hi if engaged in 3rd kind encounter . . .

JeffreyBuddhadragonBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, d'you know what? I'm in the same country as you @lobster - and I ain't seen nuffink, an' I bin wotchin' da moon all evenin'!!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

Yes, the moon is fascinating, but it's a full moon at the moment and too bright for a telescope without some filtering. And it's very difficult to see anything else in that area of the sky because of the moonlight.
    I think I was looking at Vega tonight, but my knowledge of the constellations is still extremely basic, well non-existent really! :o .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Try cleaning the lens.... sometimes, that amazing blur right between Andromeda and Orion is a dead greenfly.

True dat.

:lol: .

HamsakaBuddhadragon

Tonight I will be mainly looking for planets, like Saturn's ring and Uranus. :p .

rohit

There's no answer to that.

Well.........

There is.....

Butt.......

edited October 2014

Still no planets but saw some lovely craters on the moon. Tried to find a galaxy but no luck, either too much light pollution where I live and/or my scope isn't big enough - size does matter! :D .

Yes, light pollution is a huge problem... there are some areas of the UK which have been designated as locations of astronomical importance - that is, for star-gazing, they're ideal, and apparently protected from development for that reason?

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Still no planets but saw some lovely craters on the moon. Tried to find a galaxy but no luck, either too much light pollution where I live and/or my scope isn't big enough - size does matter! :D .

Have you used Google Sky (or whatever it's called) on your cell phone to get an idea of where to look for what? I've always wanted a telescope. Microscopes are fun too, I had a couple of those as a kid, and looked at things under it that shamed and frightened my mother.

lobster
  • @Rowan1980‌ Sorry I meant to click on the pawsome button . . . :buck: .

BuddhadragonRowan1980

@Hamsaka said:
    Have you used Google Sky (or whatever it's called) on your cell phone to get an idea of where to look for what? I've always wanted a telescope. Microscopes are fun too, I had a couple of those as a kid, and looked at things under it that shamed and frightened my mother.

I haven't got a mobile to load stuff onto, but I have got Stellarium on my lap-top, which is similar. I think it's going to take me a while to work out where stuff is in the night sky and to understand what exactly I'm looking at! There's another astronomy club stargazing session coming up soon, so hopefully I'll learn a bit more then.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

The Orionid meteor shower is coming up, and this is an excellent year for this meteor shower,as there will be only a slim crescent moon in the sky during the shower’s peak hours. These meteors stem from the most famous of all comets, Comet Halley. They’ll become visible in their greatest numbers on the night of October 20-21, and especially in the dark hours before dawn on October 21. At the peak, from a dark site, you might expect to see about 25 meteors per hour.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide

I stayed out all night watching the perseids and draconid showers with my eldest son, and this year all being warm and clear enough will be having a sleep out with both my boys!

Rowan1980JeffreyHamsaka

I've made a note!

lobster

@SpinyNorman said:
    I've made a note!

>

D'oh!

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Well, I had cravings for 3-4 months, then they tapered off.

Jeffrey

Please forgive the question: it's not intended to be accusatory, but..... How do people even start to smoke - ?!

When I was much younger, my elder brother urged me to try a cigarette.... The attempt nearly choked me; I could not stop coughing, spluttering and feeling utterly sick for a good hour, and my eyes watered, my nose burned and my throat was severely sore for the remainder of the day. I have to say it was probably one of the nastiest experiences of my life!
    Incidentally, he is now a non-smoker.... !

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited October 2014

Peer pressure. You'll "push through" to be cool or fit in. Glad I never did. Fit in. Or smoke. Neither appealed to me. :D  

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Please forgive the question: it's not intended to be accusatory, but..... How do people even start to smoke - ?!

When I was much younger, my elder brother urged me to try a cigarette.... The attempt nearly choked me; I could not stop coughing, spluttering and feeling utterly sick for a good hour, and my eyes watered, my nose burned and my throat was severely sore for the remainder of the day. I have to say it was probably one of the nastiest experiences of my life!

The same way I started to drink alcohol. It was unpleasant at first but later enjoyable. I persisted to be one of the crowd (baaaaaaaa......)

DairyLamalobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@federica said:

For me it was just like the others said. It was the cool thing to do at the time. Or it seemed so to a 14 year old rocker.

It doesn't help that smoke billows are psychedelic, lol.

Bunks
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    29 days non-smoking. Still having super cravings. A tall glass of water tastes soo good though!

As someone who had tried to quit a few times over the years, then managed to fully give it the boot a few years ago, congrats! (Oddly enough, taking up knitting and crochet kept my hands busy enough this time around. I think that's what helped.)

Jeffrey

@federica said:

Peer pressure in high school and college for me. I can say that it was kinda sorta peer pressure from my spouse... and cats... and pet rat, that got me to quit. None of them wanted to come near me after I had a cigarette. In retrospect, I can't say I blamed them!
    :D

ZenshinBunks
  • Today the parrot and I have been together for 33 years. He/she was wild caught and untamed. Quite an adventure. Imagine what a raffle ticket purchased at a bird show can result in.

DavidRowan1980lobsterReborn
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Actually coming along well in the novel I'm writing. Found it useful to just start typing and see where it led me, and then go back and better define the protagonist's attributes and conflicting values (always good) and then start over with more showing, less telling. If anyone cares. LOL

Rowan1980BuddhadragonlobsterReborn
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@federica said:

Nicotine makes my head clearer. Honest to gawd. Nicotine is a dopamine instigator, what can I say? I didn't start until I was 27 and it was a joke, but after gagging and coughing and HATING the taste, my brain liked it. I finally quit in 2008, but picked up the e cigarette thing in 2010. By then I'd gotten past the 'habit' part of the addiction, too, so go figure . . . I tried to lose some of the weight I'd gained after quitting, and my best efforts did nothing. So I rationalized ingesting nicotine again, and have been at it ever since. And NO it has not made losing weight any easier :buck: .

DavidVastmindRowan1980

@SpinyNorman‌, I think you got this: great fun!!

My mother in law is the same @federica- but that's how life comes at ya!, and it's often when you need a helping hand too! her god, is her gift, and your life is a gift to her too!

edited October 2014

I think I hit a new level of, well, something by practicing tonglen on my very old, sick pet rat, Neil deRat Tyson. (No, really, that's his name. His late brother was Carl Sagan.) Poor little guy has a wretched upper respiratory infection and mycoplasma flare-up.

HamsakaBuddhadragonlobster

Have him put down very soon - some mycoplasma are quite dangerous and pathogenic to humans, and are resistant to antibiotics!

I'm not joking.

edited October 2014

The type rats typically carry, mycoplasma pulmonis is different from the version contracted by humans, which is mycoplasma pneumoniae http://www.ratfanclub.org/resp.html So, yes, humans can develop it, but not the type that domestic rats carry. Thank God.

has your vet had the mycoplasma strain tested, and is it typical?

Not trying to put you ill at ease - i Just get worried when I hear such things!

Not a stain, but the vet he goes to specialized in small animals, "exotics", etc. The domestic rats tend to carry myco, and it's super common for it to flare up as a secondary infection. His brother was treated for something similar, albeit less intense, when he was alive.

I'm not too worried for myself as I take precautions when handling him. (The rat, not the vet.) They tend to have more flare-ups as they get into Geriatric Rat Stage. I can definitely appreciate your concern, though! :) Myco in humans, that I can see as being pretty nasty!

Hamsaka
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

You brought up the name of one of my idols, @Rowan1980: Carl Sagan.
    I'm sorry about your rat.. :( ..

Rowan1980
  • I am literally laughing out loud as I write.

Bless her, she's actually a lovely person, 'Blunt Northerner' type... But I really could hardly repay her hospitality by stomping on her PoV.... and really, if that's what she wants to see it as...if it makes her comfortable.... then, pfft.... let her..... .

Thanks for posting that @federica‌. This attitude of letting be, even the ignorant, I notice increasingly as a possibility for all but the testerone infused, righteously indignant, unalterably certain etc bless them.

Just been updating my devices to IOS 8.1 . . .
    My geek tendencies do not extend to jailbreaking. Stay safe. Update software to plug security loops.

Latest episode of Simpsons (Halloween Special) said "penis"... what happened? I was shocked, shocked I say! When I want to hear penis I watch Family Guy. :D  

Rowan1980HamsakaRebornSarahT

@Toraldis: Be careful... people might think you're...'sensitive'....! (King of the Hill.)

@Toraldris said:
    Latest episode of Simpsons (Halloween Special) said "penis"... what happened? I was shocked, shocked I say! When I want to hear penis I watch Family Guy. :D  

A "penis" in the mouth of Homer Simpson doesn't seem right. :p .

RebornSarahT

@SpinyNorman said:
    A "penis" in the mouth of Homer Simpson doesn't seem right. :p .

Wrong on many levels, but it was Principal Skinner that said it (so Bart could laugh).

SarahT

@federica said:
    Toraldis: Be careful... people might think you're...'sensitive'....! (King of the Hill.)

I don't get it. KotH was never really my cup of tea, so references go over my head!

Oh, ok. I found it very funny. Some of the one-liners were classic, priceless.... The above was a reference to the son's "attraction" to an older boy in school and a discussion they'd had in the communal 'after a football game' shower....(It was merely Hero Worship, but the Dad [whose quote it is] thought it was "more" than that....)

Yeah I don't know why that show doesn't click for me. I've probably watched a dozen full episodes of it, but I could do without it. It's by the creator of Beavis & Butthead, so I thought I'd enjoy it more... some of my extended family view that as their favorite animated show (mine's probably Family Guy).

edited October 2014

What I remember about KotH is that I love the Dale character, UFO/conspiracy theorist nutjob. :D