Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hi Adam!
    Bye Adam!
    See you at Christmas!!

Vastmindadamcrossley
  • That's a good stoned!

howShoshin1Bunks
  • The clouds sky dancing in formation to the sound of the wind...

FosdickBunks
  • Election day tomorrow.... over 1.7000.000 Kiwis have already voted...

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    Election day tomorrow.... over 1.7000.000 Kiwis have already voted...

You don’t have to be a citizen to vote in New Zealand. I was told I had to live there for 12 months before I could vote but I contacted the relevant government department prior to my 12 months and they happily signed me up.
    Such an easy going country.
    I heard stories of Australians on holidays there signing up for KiwiSaver (their retirement scheme) and receiving the $1k kick start in to their account. They can claim this money upon retirement plus interest.
    Such an easy going country.

Shoshin1
  • I was told I had to live there for 12 months before I could vote but I contacted the relevant government department prior to my 12 months and they happily signed me up.

Are you thinking of becoming an honorary Kiwi citizen @Bunks ? ;)

One moment....I'll just stamp your passport...

Yes Aotearoa (NZ) does have a few positive things on offer ...However the grass often seems greener on the other side ...

lobster

@Shoshin1 said:

I was told I had to live there for 12 months before I could vote but I contacted the relevant government department prior to my 12 months and they happily signed me up.

Are you thinking of becoming an honorary Kiwi citizen @Bunks ? ;)

One moment....I'll just stamp your passport...

Yes Aotearoa (NZ) does have a few positive things on offer ...However the grass often seems greener on the other side ...

Haha - thanks @Shoshin1 - I love NZ and would certainly consider moving back their one day.

I only need 8 more years residency and I can receive the pension :)

Shoshin1
  • Well the voting booths are just closing, so the count is on....

• Well it looks like Labour ( who got my party vote) will win possibly by a landslide so will be able to govern alone, and the Greens ( who got my electoral vote for Auckland central ) are also polling strong in their party vote so will still win seats in Parliament and work with Labour.... B)

• it's Fall. Temps only in the 90's... =)B)

Shoshin1
  • The Dalai Lama congratulated Jacinda Ardern on her landslide victory ...

I congratulate Jacinda Ardern on her party's resounding victory in the New Zealand general election. I admire the courage, wisdom and leadership, as well as the calm, compassion and respect for others, she has shown in these challenging times.

howlobster

@Shoshin1 said:
    Well it looks like Labour ( who got my party vote) will win possibly by a landslide so will be able to govern alone, and the Greens ( who got my electoral vote for Auckland central ) are also polling strong in their party vote so will still win seats in Parliament and work with Labour.... B)

Looks like Winston Peters is on his way out yeah?

• Yes Winny's missed out...mind you over the years ( 42 years) he's been a very colourful lively MP whose colours are now fading....

When I first arrived in Aotearoa (mid eighties), I found him to be a very charismatic politician, I even thought about voting for him, however the honeymoon was cut short when he started his anti migrant rants...

One thing he will be remembered for is introducing the Super Gold card ...

Bunks
  • It's interesting ...during the last leader's debate the leaders were asked about their religious belief...no doubt because of this photo in one of the newspapers...
    The National (conservative) party leader Judith Collins kneeling hands together "posing" in prayer ....all by herself...she was either after the religious right vote (it being so close to election day) or praying out of desperation for a miracle...

Either way her prayers weren't answered....

Judith said

she was a "liberal Anglican", and always had been

...Whereas Jacinda reiterated her agnosticism

she was agnostic, but was raised in a religious household.
    "That has shaped the way I treat people of faith - I respect that."

BunksWalkerJeroen
  • Circus Time
    If it weren't so serious, it would be hilarious. The political shenanigans that is.
    2021, hurry! :p
    Everyone, stay safe.

lobsterShoshin1Vastmind
  • May wholesome collective karma ripen for America come November....

Stay safe all vulnerable Americans <3

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@shoshin

I think New Zealand’s government is quite sensible, Jacinda seems to be a good leader and the systems don’t seem to be corrupt. That is already a big step forward compared to some countries.

Shoshin1
  • Yes according to Transparency International Aotearoa (NZ) is seen as one of the least corrupt countries/political systems...

@Shoshin1 said:
    Yes according to Transparency International Aotearoa (NZ) is seen as one of the least corrupt countries/political systems...

Possibly goes to show the benefit of a one tier government and one only one house of parliament.

Less monkeys at the wheel......

lobster
  • Yes it would seem that all the countries in the top ten (well apart from Germany) have small population and are for the most part wealthy...

The other possibility is that we are more skilled at covering it up... ;);)

BunksWalker
  • Got my bike. A hot powerful fast mover...no, a black 2014 Rebel 250. Won't set any speed records, but it is fun to ride. B)
    Stay safe in the human jungle.

Peace to all

VastmindlobsterBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

From Daring Fireball (a blog of Apple afficionados):

‘BIDEN WILL MAKE AMERICA LEAD AGAIN’ ★
    William McRaven, in an op-ed for that left-wing rag The Wall Street Journal:

“This week I went to the polls in Texas. Truth be told, I am a pro-life, pro-Second Amendment, small-government, strong-defense and a national-anthem-standing conservative. But, I also believe that black lives matter, that the Dreamers deserve a path to citizenship, that diversity and inclusion are essential to our national success, that education is the great equalizer, that climate change is real and that the First Amendment is the cornerstone of our democracy. Most important, I believe that America must lead in the world with courage, conviction and a sense of honor and humility.

If we remain indifferent to our role in the world, if we retreat from our obligation to our citizens and our allies and if we fail to choose the right leader, then we will pay the highest price for our neglect and shortsightedness.

I voted for Joe Biden.”

McRaven was a Navy admiral and commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command from 2011-14. This is a good op-ed to pass to fence-sitting friends and family.

McRaven’s op ed is here.

Lionduck

Some great photography with just iPhones...

http://austinmann.com/trek

lobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2020

Well it's a Summery Spring day as I walk down the track to the beach...People are partying/barbequing on the beach....It's Labour day long weekend...

May be later this week...I'll have a skinny dip...The water looks tempting ....

Bunks

The clocks went back an hour... it will now be dark here at 6 pm. It’s a pretty dark and damp morning.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

To me, the clocks going back, is just another day closer to the shortest day... after that, I can look forward to the Spring.... 🙂🙃🙂

Bunks
  • Well, just had my first skinny dip of the season, the water was welcoming & refreshing...

When I first arrived there were just two other people and when I left there were around a dozen scattered along the beach...

Bunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2020

Two progressive female Prime Minsters in different parts of the world Southern & Northern hemispheres (NZ & Iceland ) whilst being interviewed earthquakes happen... both quakes registering 5.something... The quakes didn't happen on the same day....but still a weird coincidence....

• As dharmaist scientific and insightful logical thinkers @Shoshin1 we can infer that women premiers cause earthquakes when they speak? 🤪

This might be useful information ... ? o:)

@lobster said:
    As dharmaist scientific and insightful logical thinkers @Shoshin1 we can infer that women premiers cause earthquakes when they speak? 🤪

This might be useful information ... ? o:)

Did not the ground shake when the Buddha first turned the wheel of dharma?
    Holy moley....what are you implying @lobster ?

lobsterShoshin1
  • Dear Friends of uddah Buddha,

Oh I needed that <3

Went for an hour walk yesterday. Wore mask until I got to our local greenery. Was still a little early so the mask was more useful on the return ...
    Had to keep to the main paths due to muddy conditions. Mostly maskless runners and cyclists on the paths.

Walking good.

Shoshin1ronflonflon

I’m surprised at the difference with people wearing masks while bicycling, shopping, all kinds of public places. It seems to be the thing people do when their fear of coronavirus reaches a certain pitch. It’s a lot more common now than it was three months ago.

If only Covid had a rash with pustules. This would have been over a lot sooner.

@Kerome said:
    I’m surprised at the difference with people wearing masks while bicycling, shopping, all kinds of public places. It seems to be the thing people do when their fear of coronavirus reaches a certain pitch. It’s a lot more common now than it was three months ago.

The western world is catching up with Asia in the knowledge that wearing a mask helps stop the spread of airborne viruses.

lobsterShoshin1
  • Those who refuse to wear a mask to protect others are wankers..

lobsterVastmindBunks
  • Have found some really stylish masks o:)

Shoshin1BunksVastmindKotishka
    edited November 2020

Just remember @lobster, the people who wear those kinds of masks are generally a bit caught up in the passions, and not in a good way.

BunkslobsterKotishka
  • @lobster, That would be perfect for certain politicians..Opps! They are already...
    Never mind.

Bunkslobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@lobster
    Time to suggest a little known Dharma film showing the likely results of choosing this kind of mask over others. I think it was called.....Pulp Fiction?
    But do let us know how it goes over at your next family meeting, or church social.

Years ago a well known spiritual magazine invited representatives from all the groups that advertised in it, to an annual thank you party. Once when they decided to make it a costume party, I decided to go, but all I could find around my place that was interesting was old biker gear with a lot of studs and spikes. Not quite as hard core as your mask but they both harkened to the same suggestiveness.

So I come up to a door hearing the general burble of a party within and passed through into a collection of the most syrupy love, crystals and light costumes (obviously their role models & hero's) that you could possibly imagine.

Never did I treasure my anonymity so much as when that party slowly froze into momentary silence upon my entrance until as good Canadians we remembered our moto of "death before embarrassment" and the party resumed again into full swing.

The two main memories of that evening that lasted for me was how free I felt in my complete anonymity while a sea of costumed enlightened seemed to part where ever I wandered
    and
    the one time in my life when others, who would never have normally paid me much attention, would smile & sidle close as I passed, while slipping a phone number in my outfit with nary a word.

Not only did I realize that I was really not in Kansas anymore but that Kansas might have always just been a figment of my imagination.

Shoshin1lobsterKotishka
  • Woohoo Aotearoa (NZ) has one of if not the most diverse governments in the world

It's beautiful to see the melting pot mixture of MPs

• To all my American sisters & brothers....Stay safe amidst the chaos of your election day tomorrow, if you have already casted your vote then stay home and stay safe...

Bunks
  • Boogie woogie hedgehog

• The poles have closed. The results are in! No, wait...hmm back to you on that in a couple of days. Or not. That circus never closes.
    If politics were common sense, Trump would never have been on the ballot 2016 or 2020. The race is close, electorally, because of the electoral college and non-stop propaganda keeping the followers, the "True Believers", inside a very strange bubble. I used to wonder why and how until I stumbled upon a station on cable which aimed at "Country Folk". The commercials were political harsh, militant and right wing. There was only one side presented, stridently, over and over every single day.
    "Repeat a lie enough times and it becomes the truth." A misquite of a terrible former Sr official in a terrible former teranical German Regeim.

This too shall pass

Shoshin1VastmindJeroen
  • Sorry, that was TYRANICAL

lobster