Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Happy Summer Solstice to my Southern friends

Happy Winter Solstice to my Northern friends

May all beings in all the dharma realms be happy, healthy and free from suffering.

Thank you @bunks... the shortest or longest day has rolled around again, the solar calendar winding its way through time. Good wishes to everyone in the coming cycle.

It occurs to me that it makes more sense to celebrate the new year on the solstice than at another time, because it is the turning of the sun, the start of a new cycle.

BunksShoshin1lobsterhow
  • Well after the Xmas morning powerwalk, I headed to the beach for a dip...

Felt somewhat insecure just sitting on the deserted beach, but loved every moment of it... ;)

Then took a drive to Trig Hill lookout point...It's a windy narrow road...

Managed to hold the phone and video part of the way back down, whilst driving ...don't try this at home children...

lobsterBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Christmas dinner- A avocado salad/a baked nut & lentil loaf smothered over with a thick mushroom gravy/ mashed potatoes/ peas & carrots/cranberry sauce, and followed by a brandy flambéed plum pudding with hard sauce. Tea was a black mix of an Assam & Queen Victoria for Jan, her sister and myself.
    A well fed bubble of 3 we are.
    Blessings all & may this next approaching year be less interesting than the last.

BunksShoshin1lobster
  • Sounds yummy @how...any leftovers ;)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin!
    Hah!
    The most notable leftover was just me trying to remain awake for an evening sitting with an extended belly full of rich food in a warm room.

BunksShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited December 2020

For those who are interested, on Apple’s iTunes movie store there is a sale on of a lot of Disney and Pixar films, so if you want to add them to your digital library now is a good time to do so. Frozen, Frozen 2, Toy Story, The Incredibles 2, Coco, many more, so all kinds of good stuff going for 5.99 each.

And yes we had a meal almost entirely out of leftovers...

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited December 2020

Went for a skinny dip after my walk this morning...the water when I first entered was refreshingly chilling. a real wake up call, then the body adapts ....

My son who lives in Berlin said they had their first snow of the season...

Bunks

• A spicy mock meat (vegetarian lamb kebab) salad for lunch, baby lettuce leaves, spring onion, baby carrot, sugar babe sweet mini tomatoes, red & green capsicum, mushroom...washed down with a cup of blackcurrant, acai, & goji superfruit tea...

lobsterBunksfederica
  • Just spent a wonderful day with my daughter who was up from Wellington, we went on an island road trip ...
    The Esplanade

Trig Hill

The bay at Whakanewha regional park...

We had a beautiful day together...

lobsterBunks
  • Just beeing with a friend...

A bee with its leg sacks full of pollen decided to shelter from the wind, at first I thought it was attracted to my foot as it hovered around it for a while, but it look a liking to my brightly coloured sarong, perhaps attracted to the flower pattern... =)

• Found this tiny fellow on the bathroom sink tap...

...a young praying mantis ....

Fosdicklobster
  • It is an Aotearoa morning ie, long whitish clouds cover the island, a storm is threatening and on my powerwalk as I was approaching what I call seagull rock , I was accosted by some very territorial seagulls, a squadron of them took to the air, circling over my head, some brave ones began to dive bomb me, fortunately none dropped their creamy bombs...

Shit happens..... fortunately not today ;)

edited January 2021

Oops wrong thread....

• LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited January 2021

On Nov 16, a Pick up driver, while using it's cell phone, decided to redecorate my handicap van. no one hospitalized. I get Tender Wheels back, projected , on Jan 8. Having fun on my Mini Me 250 and just turned 73 yesterday. Family Covid free (<3 )
    Remember, you are the light, you are each a most precious jewel.

Peace to all

howlobsterShoshin1Bunks
  • Glad to hear family is OK :)
    Happy Birthday @Lionduck <3

Lionduck
  • Many happy returns @Lionduck <3

Lionduck
  • On my walk this morning (the temperature was already in the mid twenties at 8am) I came across a dead rabbit on the road, (road kill-the third one this week) which I moved to the grass verge, if left on the road it would attract recyclers which could lead to even more deaths or injuries of the beneficial recyclers, eg birds, insects etc....and further along I picked up some broken beer bottle and the carboard box they came in, no doubt some young hoods had thrown the empties out of the car....

It's the council recycling day today and Mother Natures, but I guess Mother Nature's recycling is ongoing .... 24/7/365...Just doing my bit to help Mother Earth...

lobster
  • Been ordering seeds ...

Apparently we have turned from a nation of shopkeepers to a nation of gardeners. Seeds selling like there is no tomorrow ... which is certainly possible ...

I like Thomson and Morgan and easy grow ...
    Ordered two types of chilli and hope to have more luck with nasturtiums ... all eaten by wildlife last year :o
    Growing a stir fry radish 'Bluemoon' B)
    Marigolds for edible flowers ...
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/top-10-easy-to-grow-flowers

Hope to get a damask rose later on in the year

Shoshin1
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@lobster

If your garden space is on the small side, I've had much luck converting large industrial barrels into vertical growing spaces. I got mine for free through the bus terminals where they imported liquid soap in these large barrels to wash their vehicles with but didn't know what to do with the empties. One barrel gives me 36+ vegetables to grow in a space that used to only offer 5. I used a hole saw and a heat gun to make all the holes around the barrel for the plants to grow out of. In the fall/winter and early spring, the center of it can be used as a composter for the upcoming crop. This year I plan to build and put it on a small cement pad that includes an encircling water moat around it's edge to discourage slugs but favor bug eating birds instead.

Shoshin1
  • Went for a stroll down to the beach after lunch and came across a group of people who were looking at something in a cage in the water....

On closer inspection there were three little blue penguins ( Korora ) in the cage...Not sure if the people in the water standing by the cage were DOC staff (Dept of Conservation) or local bird rescue, who were releasing them or had just caught them...

Orca snack on them and are often seen around the island in October especially in an area called Enclosure bay, I posted a video of two orcas in the bay swimming past some children a while back...anyhow they pick the little blue penguins off the reef...

Such is life's karmic flow...

• @how

ah ha!

The plastic tub compost garden may be possible. I have an unused plastic bin. I have three active compost bins at the moment. Can certainly prepare.

Last year my biggest problem was lack of containers.

Just managed to get seed balls for my valiant garden birds. Only have one feeder up so far ...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Shoshin1lobster
  • Very inspiring @how <3

I may be able to build a twin tower system this winter to keep the foxes amused ... 🦊

Second bird feeder up. Maybe third tomorrow. Might resurrect my home made bird feeder ...

• Bumble bees working in harmony with the sunflowers in the garden of some friends who live on the property....

lobster
  • There have been a few shark sightings around NZ beaches over the last week or so, sadly a young woman (19 years old) was fatally attacked at Waihi beach ( around 150 kms south of Auckland) the other day, she died from her wounds, loss of blood...

A week or so ago on the island, a large bronze whaler shark followed a swimmer into shallow water at Onetangi beach, (not the beach I skinny dip at) a friend told me it was his mother-in-law who was the swimmer...It's the warm waters that seem to be attracting them...

I often wonder with all the Dharma practice if I would keep my calm demeanor if I came face to face with a predator of the deep...and being an unwelcome guest in their underwater world...

The last shark encounter I had was back in the 70s when in Fiji, the Fijian family who I was staying with in Suva, invited me to their island for the xmas holidays...
    We travelled to the island by a fishing boat, and it took a few hours to get there anyhow it was quite hot so I decided to dangle my feet in the cool water whilst sitting at the back of the boat when a family member point to the fin moving closer to the boat, people would throw their food scraps over the side, this attracted sharks...My feet (bait) shot out of the water quick sharp when I saw the fin....

Bunks
  • Saw my beloved garden foxes yesterday, they may have a den at the bottom of my garden. Kindly fertilising lavender and thyme. Digging out soil snacks. They are good fence climbers and I think they have been taking Noble Silence lessons from my garden Buddhas. Don't hear them much at night.

• It sounds like it was time well spend @how

Wow, I admire your tenacity... most people I know would have spent their way out on an iPhone 12 mini (see here)

Bunks
    edited January 2021

Well it's been almost a year since I visited Auckland, the last time I visited was just before Aotearoa (NZ) went into the first lockdown (The first lockdown was in early March, and I visited Auckland in February)...

All masked up and armed with my covid tracer app... I caught the ferry over then a train out to the suburb of Onehunga

After doing a bit of shopping at the Bin Inn I caught the train back to the CBD and visited
    Tai Ping Chinese supermarket to buy some teas...

Did a bit more shopping in the CBD and then caught the ferry home sweet home...

It was strange to be wearing a mask, I haven't had to wear one for a few months now...Mask wearing is mandatory on all public transport in Auckland....

Trains and boats and planes

• Weird and whacky weather today...hot, humid for most of the country AKA North Island & South Island,(the winds are meant to pick up becoming gale force... so batten down the hatches) then some parts of the South Island big drop in temperature and snow in some parts...winter mid summer....

Bunks

Its strange to see the roads so empty, isn’t it.

edited January 2021

The actual city centre was very busy with traffic as was the motorway viewed from the train, however the Chinese supermarket is just outside the CBD...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Our winter seems to be holidaying elsewhere, leaving us with the type of weather you'd expect in spring or fall. No snow, many flowers blooming and animals starting earlier than normal courtship rituals. Experts are predicting some winter vortex for us from the North and I am sure that eventually they'll be correct but so far so good.

BunksJeroenShoshin1Kotishka

We had a little flurry of snow a few days ago, and a few days of sub-zero temperatures. Most of the time it has been 5-10 degrees C, which is not at all bad.

Shoshin1
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

Mostly just wanna announce my return to this site after a longggg time away from it, especially to older members who may remember me =). I have matured a lot since I was last on this site, more tranquil and less crazy hahhaha. I'm 21 now and am in my final semester of my university degree. Getting properly back into regular study of Dharma and regular meditation etc. has really helped me recently.

Big hugs and metta to you all, especially during this trying time. Hope you are all coping well xx

VastmindBunkslobsterShoshin1
  • I remember you liked chicken :3 chickens as pets 💗
    Welcome back ... 🙏🏽✅🥳

Vastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@TheEccentric said:
    Mostly just wanna announce my return to this site after a longggg time away from it, especially to older members who may remember me =). I have matured a lot since I was last on this site, more tranquil and less crazy hahhaha. I'm 21 now and am in my final semester of my university degree. Getting properly back into regular study of Dharma and regular meditation etc. has really helped me recently.

Big hugs and metta to you all, especially during this trying time. Hope you are all coping well xx

I believe you were practicing with the NKT from memory? Still involved? I haven't hung out with them for quite a few years now.

@Bunks said:

@TheEccentric said:

I believe you were practicing with the NKT from memory? Still involved? I haven't hung out with them for quite a few years now.

That is correct. I still have respect for them and learnt a lot from their general Mahayana teachings and loved their meditation classes, however I personally find Vajrayana difficult to practice so wasn't really the right fit in my case. I went to a Soto-Zen priory later on and felt that their practices/teachings were a lot more accessible to me. I guess I practice East Asian Buddhism primarily now, rather than Tibetan. What was your experience of them?

lobster

@TheEccentric said:

@Bunks said:

@TheEccentric said:

That is correct. I still have respect for them and learnt a lot from their general Mahayana teachings and loved their meditation classes, however I personally find Vajrayana difficult to practice so wasn't really the right fit in my case. I went to a Soto-Zen priory later on and felt that their practices/teachings were a lot more accessible to me. I guess I practice East Asian Buddhism primarily now, rather than Tibetan. What was your experience of them?

I can see the appeal but I too found Vajrayana practice difficult and confusing at times. I struggled to get past the stoush with HHDL too.
    Moved on to Thai Buddhism and now mix that with Pure land (the very definition of the odd couple!) with some interesting results...

TheEccentric

@Bunks said:

@TheEccentric said:

@Bunks said:

@TheEccentric said:

I can see the appeal but I too found Vajrayana practice difficult and confusing at times. I struggled to get past the stoush with HHDL too.
    Moved on to Thai Buddhism and now mix that with Pure land (the very definition of the odd couple!) with some interesting results...

I can see that such a mix could be a good combo. I think mantra-heavy practices mixed with some philosophical study and other types of meditation work really well. A balance of the two perhaps I guess. To some extent, I kind of mix Nichiren with my Zen as I chant 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' on the regular (among an eclectic mix of more general Mahayana mantras) alongside my Zazen practice.

Bunkslobster

I bought myself a Xiaomi Mi Band 5, its a basic fitness tracker which measures steps and heartbeat and a few other things. It’s supposed to give you more insight into your health... will let you know how I get on with it.

• I tend to multitask when doing house work ....

JeroenBunksVastmind

@Kerome said:
    I bought myself a Xiaomi Mi Band 5, its a basic fitness tracker which measures steps and heartbeat and a few other things. It’s supposed to give you more insight into your health... will let you know how I get on with it.

Just to give a little insight into how I chose it — I had a few things I wanted, like activity tracking and heartrate tracking and oxygen saturation, and I found out that it was a lot cheaper to buy two devices. So I got an oxygen saturation fingerclip for 20 euro’s, and a Mi Band 5 for 32,50. The cheapest device which does all in one is a Garmin Vivosmart 4 for 100 euro’s.

So that does mean that my oxygen saturation is not tracked long term in places like the Band’s health app, but honestly it just reads 98-100% most of the time and if it drops below 90% you need to get a COVID test. It doesn’t need tracking over the long term, although VO2max is a nice thing to be able to track.

First few days with the Band... it’s not bad. If you use it like you’re supposed to, you get some insight into your fitness and your calorie expenditure. Which is what I wanted, I plan to use it to lose some kilo’s.

Shoshin1lobster
  • Well it's coming to the end of the summer holidays for many Kiwis, which means the island's popular beaches are almost empty during the weekdays...

The best part of the summer for many locals...we get our island back....

VastmindBunkslobster
  • I've been going for walks everyday for years, however last October I started to powerwalk each morning after meditation, then around the beginning of this month I started to add jolking ( jogging body motion at a walking speed ) to the mix... so I now jolk from home to the beach, powerwalk along Oneroa beach, then jolk up past the lookout to the church then powerwalk back along the beach, jolk up the bush track and down to Owhanake bay and back home...

One day when I was out jolking a guy walking towards me smiled and said are you walking or jogging ? in a friendly joking manner, because I was moving so slow, I told him I was doing both and I call it "jolking" and he laughed...I have had people walking in the same direction overtake me with ease...

Well I just came across a youtube video about slow jogging AKA jolking, which I found quite interesting...

Slow and steady wins the rat race... ;);)

lobsterBunksKotishka
  • It rained today. Then the Sun came out.

Bunks
  • I've torn my meniscus....woo!

Shoshin1JeroenLionduck

@コチシカ said:
    I've torn my meniscus....woo!

Oh no! Take care. Do you need an operation?