Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Here where the water is bloody freezing I can't go past a beach without seeing folks goin in up to their necks from one to 30 minutes. It used to only ever happen during winter on new years day but now it's seems to have become an every day routine.

• What's the water temperature like during the summer @how ?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Sea temps in Victoria BC are 46F in winter and in summer its 53F.

• Sounds nice and refreshing...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    Mother Nature's master architects at work...

Awesome! You can just imagine that hanging in a tree...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:

@Shoshin1 said:
    Mother Nature's master architects at work...

Awesome! You can just imagine that hanging in a tree...

The incredible thing is, this is a feat of highly skilled and masterful engineering. They haven't just created a quasi-perfect symmetrical pattern for the artistry of it. THis is an extremely effective way of maintaining airflow and suitable temperature...Who dafuq taught them this?! Who took the 4-year university course in Architectural Engineering and Technical Design and got a first-class degree with honours? Which bee has letters after her name?!

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Did you know that Rudolf Steiner, the educator and instigator of the anthroposophical movement, said that next to humans bees were the most intelligent species on the planet? That’s why many anthroposophical institutions have connections with bee keepers and bee products.

BunksShoshin1
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Did you know that Rudolf Steiner, the educator and instigator of the anthroposophical movement, said that next to humans bees were the most intelligent species on the planet? That’s why many anthroposophical institutions have connections with bee keepers and bee products.

My kids attend a Steiner school.

It has its fair share of crack pots (aka anti vaxxers!) but all in all a nice community.

Shoshin1
  • @Bunks said:

It has its fair share of crack pots (aka anti vaxxers!) but all in all a nice community.

True @Bunks ,, no doubt some of the parents of the children which attend the Steiner school on the property where I live fit that description, however one good thing is a least half a dozen of the parents drive hybrid cars and many of the parents cycle with their children to school...So along with some whack jobs, there are quite a few dedicated environmentalists amongst them.

Bunks
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited April 2021

We have but a moment
    Between the intake of a breath
    And the exhale
    We have but a moment
    To laugh
    To cry
    To dance
    To play
    To touch a heart
    We have but a moment
    We
    Have
    But
    A
    Moment

Peace to all

how

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

True @Bunks ,, no doubt some of the parents of the children which attend the Steiner school on the property where I live fit that description, however one good thing is a least half a dozen of the parents drive hybrid cars and many of the parents cycle with their children to school...So along with some whack jobs, there are quite a few dedicated environmentalists amongst them.

Yes! Same as here @Shoshin1

I had a couple at my place for lunch yesterday for my little fella's birthday party. They gave me some good tips on how to improve my (fairly lax!) recycling habits.

Shoshin1
  • Once upon a time the land of Kat, housed the fourth largest lake on the world, the Aral.
    Now just a film and party set ...

What planet? What story?

Right here!

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited April 2021

Moved to Covid Cabin....

edited April 2021

It's an interesting question.....should a gambling establishment pay back money lost there that was proven to be stolen?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-07/vicki-stole-millions-and-put-it-in-st-marys-leagues-club-pokies/100042284

• That's a tricky one to solve @Bunks considering that over the years some of the money has been given to charities, whom for the most part would have put it to good use helping those let fortunate in the community...

In a way Vicki was like a crooked Robina Hood, stealing from her employer then giving to other crooks ie, the one arm bandits. where a percentage of the ill gotten gain trickled down to the charities who help their local communities...

Bunks
    edited April 2021

I decided to bake an apple pie today. First attempt with this oven, so I’m not quite sure how it will turn out but it sure smells nice. I didn’t have quite enough butter so didn’t end up with enough dough to do a latticework on top, so it’s just open.

BunksShoshin1lobster

@Kerome said:

I decided to bake an apple pie today. First attempt with this oven, so I’m not quite sure how it will turn out but it sure smells nice. I didn’t have quite enough butter so didn’t end up with enough dough to do a latticework on top, so it’s just open.

Nice, did it turn out ok?

edited April 2021

I cooked it according to the recipe (my grandmothers), so I was a bit surprised that when I cut it a large amount of liquid came out... I think the oven wasn’t hot enough, and although the apples had cooked the juice had pooled in the pie instead of evaporating. Other than causing a momentary panic and a sticky kitchen counter it wasn’t a huge problem, it still tastes pretty good.

BunksShoshin1
  • @Shoshin1 ,

I once saw a hammerhead shark (I think) while swimming in the open ocean (Canary Islands). It was terrifying because it was huge and moved quite fast. Sharky...

Shoshin1

@Kerome said:
    I cooked it according to the recipe (my grandmothers), so I was a bit surprised that when I cut it a large amount of liquid came out... I think the oven wasn’t hot enough, and although the apples had cooked the juice had pooled in the pie instead of evaporating. Other than causing a momentary panic and a sticky kitchen counter it wasn’t a huge problem, it still tastes pretty good.

The other possibility — suggested by my aunt — is that I may have used the wrong kind of apples. It appears that some varieties are rather more juicy than others.

• @コチシカ said:
    @Shoshin1 ,

I once saw a hammerhead shark (I think) while swimming in the open ocean (Canary Islands). It was terrifying because it was huge and moved quite fast. Sharky...

Yes it can be quite scary...them in their natural environment, gracefully moving through the water and us intruding upon their territory...

Every time we enter the ocean, we are entering unknown territory...Swimmer beware...

edited April 2021

It was wet and very windy on this morning's jolk, it's been like it all day...

Stormy Autumn weather....

...Temperature's dropped so I'm wearing uug boots indoors..

JeroenBunks

@Shoshin1 said:
    Yes it can be quite scary...them in their natural environment, gracefully moving through the water and us intruding upon their territory...

Hmm yeah...

Shoshin1
    edited April 2021

The Steiner school is holding their annual Harvest Fayre

Our local story teller telling a story about Death being caught in a walnut shell...

It don't look too busy in the video, but earlier on hundreds of people were there and the road was bumper to bumper with parked cars...

The weather first thing this morning was cool and overcast and looked like more rain, but mid morning the sun came out, clear blue skies and it started to warm up, temperature in the mid twenties....

Bunks

I remember Steiner school fayres, I used to attend a Steiner school and we had all kinds of festivals and things.

BunksShoshin1
    edited April 2021

I had a work meeting in the village at lunch time and for a while it looked like a big storm was brewing,

....so far just scattered showers...

Well I'm home and dry and the storm as hit...

WalkerBunkslobster
  • It's what's known as the tax perks of the church.... AKA pennies from heaven

Bunks
  • Beautiful double rainbow this morning on my jolk..

WalkerFosdickBunkslobster
  • Well I've had busy day today...

Was up at 4.30am to see my eldest boy who lives in London, getting married, watched it on the link he and his 'now' wife provided...Nice to see them finally tie the knot...

Decided not to go back to bed instead I had an earlier than usual morning meditation, after which had breakfast then morning jolk...

Then around 10.30 am I picked up a young Cambodian woman and her daughter and in their car and took them over to Auckland on the car ferry...She can't drive and her husband was driving the truck over...

I only met them recently when the wife came to my place of work wanting help with a letter she received from MIQ (Managed Isolation & Quarantine) her English was okay but she was having difficulty understanding some of the contents of the letter ...She doesn't really know many people on the island, apart from her husband's cousin who lives here...and not being able to speak English properly, it can be difficult making friends....

Her and her husband had decided to move off the island, and needed someone to drive their car over and bring the truck they borrowed back to the island...So I was a truckie for the afternoon, I had never driven a truck before, so that was a new experience....

The car ferry was full going over and coming back...

Well it's just gone 4.30pm and tiredness is creeping in...So cushion time...after which, eat dinner and relax...it will be an early night tonight...

FosdicklobsterBunksWalker

Did you know that the lobster is worshipped as a god in some parts of Greece?

Bunks
  • So it should be @Kerome

... and no, I did not know.

Worshipful Lobster o:)

JeroenBunksKotishka
  • @Kerome said:
    Did you know that the lobster is worshipped as a god in some parts of Greece?

No, what's really happening is the Greeks are just saying grace before they eat the @lobster ;);)

BunkslobsterJeroen

Now now, are we making fun of others’ religion? :)

• Trying to figure out the name of the "good monk" briefly interviewed by the end of the video. Had roasted potatoes with spicy sauce for dinner and I can't sleep.

Bunks
    edited April 2021

It would seem it's a case of rouge rogue monks with lack of insight into the precepts causing the problem ...
    Hmm I wonder..... "What would Buddha do?"

• It's bucketing down here at the moment, the rain and wind started mid afternoon...Showers and possible thunder storms for tomorrow...

Bunks

@Shoshin1 said:
    rouge monks

Hehe... monks wearing make-up... methinks you mean rogue monks, lol 😂

Shoshin1

@Kerome said:

@Shoshin1 said:
    rouge monks

In fairness their robes are quite red...

howShoshin1
  • Oops pardon my French ;)

• @Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

@Shoshin1 said:
    rouge monks

In fairness their robes are quite red...

Plus some it would seem are seeing red....:)

Bunks
  • ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran

I am getting my hair cut tomorrow. And my eyebrows trimmed.
    That’s all. Carry on.🙂

Bunks

And there is an Apple Event tonight for those interested in tech.

• @Kerome said:

Talking of the zen red thread ...
    https://zenawakened.com/on-red-thread-zen/

Shoshin1

@Kerome said:
    And there is an Apple Event tonight for those interested in tech.

New iMacs with M1, ooh shiny...

howShoshin1
    edited April 2021

Well on my jolk this morning, I made a loo stop half way,(not number two) anyhow as I went to flush the loo, I happened to look inside and spotted a longhorn beetle trying to climb out...

(just incase you're wondering, the photo is not of the longhorn beetle I fished out the loo, 😱 I got it off the internet)
    I managed to fished it out using toilet paper, put it on the ground and flushed the loo and when I went to find it, to rinse it off with clear water, it had disappeared...The morning dew was quite heavy, hopefully it wandered out over the wet greens...So my first good deed of the day 😇...When I got home I made myself a vitamin drink, only to knock the glass over spilling it on the carpet... s#it happens 💩

Kotishka
  • ...and my new set of wheels for the island...

...well it was parked on the road outside the property I live on...People tend to hire them for weddings...

BunksKotishka

I’ve been practicing this for years! I’m glad the science community is finally catching up

Shoshin1Kotishka