Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@コチシカ said:
    I've torn my meniscus....woo!

While slow jogging? It sounds painful. All the best.

• @Bunks , the doc will give me physiotherapy (conservative treatment). It is a minor injury, not so torn.

@Kerome , actually.... and Mr @how probably remembers. I tried a stupid position while meditating (stupid because the cushion and my body was not adecuate for it) and I injured them. This was back in October. After an extremely busy month (exams) I decided to get an magnetic resonance...and bam...

My reflection is - you wanted to look cool while meditating unaware and not hearing your body, You are a fool indeed, you will have to pay! Yawr!

:)

Not painful, but annoying (strange burning feeling )

Bunks
  • Son got Covid - claims over it.
    Wife had first shot
    Mine comes Feb 4
    Wheelchair Van (Wheely) back from auto hospital - good as new.
    Finally remembered what that wet stuff was that was falling from the sky.
    Still looking for lost mind after, after, aft...

Shoshin1BunksJeroenlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Lionduck - stay safe <3

lobsterLionduck
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2021

I had 4 cubic yards of soil dropped off to fill some new planters I made but it mysteriously feels twice as heavy to shovel it all now it as it did 10 years ago. I guess if we live long enough even stirring a cup of tea might one day be a challenge.

BunksShoshin1Lionduck

@how said:
    I had 4 cubic yards of soil dropped off to fill some new planters I made but it mysteriously feels twice as heavy to shovel it all now it as it did 10 years ago. I guess if we live long enough even stirring a cup of tea might one day be a challenge.

I'm finding as I get older that getting up off the ground or a chair is becoming more challenging! And I don't sit down so much anymore as collapse haha =)

And I'm only 49...

Shoshin1Lionduck
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    And I'm only 49...

To be honest I’m amazed at the shape my dad is in at age 72. He walks a lot, bicycles, sits on his rowing machine, does active meditations which involve running on the spot, Wim Hof method breathing, all kinds of things, and it shows... he is surprisingly fit for an older guy.

lobsterBunks
  • I called into a friend's place on my way home from work, there was a couple there giving my friend a quote on some work she needs doing, anyhow this cute little fellow was sitting on the woman's shoulder, at first I didn't think it was real, then it slowly moved...she asked if I would like to hold it...
    So enter the dragon,

Such a beautiful creature..
    It's an Australian bearded dragon/lizard, the story goes they were smuggled into Aotearoa back in the 1960s ...

BunkslobsterFosdickLionduck
  • My granddaughter owns two Beardies - Sunny and Dash. =)=)<3

Shoshin1
  • My friend bought me an early birthday present ...
    It's a masochist's mat & pillow AKA acupressure mat & pillow...

It's like lying on a bed of nails....

No pain...no gain

Bunkslobster

There’s a solid 10 cm of snow outside and we are heading for daytime temperatures of -4. Bit of a cold snap and some winds howling in from Siberia.

@Kerome said:
    There’s a solid 10 cm of snow outside and we are heading for daytime temperatures of -4. Bit of a cold snap and some winds howling in from Siberia.

Wow! Take it easy. We are having a very wet and mild summer here. Only a handful of days over 30C.

@Bunks said:
    Wow! Take it easy. We are having a very wet and mild summer here. Only a handful of days over 30C.

They call this weather pattern ‘the beast from the east’ over here, it’s when the weather systems line up just right to take cold air from north of Moscow in a single long flow across Poland and northern Germany into the Netherlands and the North Sea, producing a week or more of sustained cold temperatures and snow from wet air from above the sea mixing with cold air from Russia.

• The average temp on the island so far has been in the mid twenties, we've had a few higher temps, 28-30 but mostly mid twenties and dry, no decent rainfall in over 20 days...

Bunks
    edited February 2021

@Shoshin1 said:
    The average temp on the island so far has been in the mid twenties, we've had a few higher temps, 28-30 but mostly mid twenties and dry, no decent rainfall in over 20 days...

Are you on rain water @Shoshin1?

I recall my ex uncle in law was so summer was always a challenge with running out of water on the island.

The outside toilet saying was "if it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down" :p

Shoshin1

@Kerome said:

@Bunks said:

They call this weather pattern ‘the beast from the east’ over here, it’s when the weather systems line up just right to take cold air from north of Moscow in a single long flow across Poland and northern Germany into the Netherlands and the North Sea, producing a week or more of sustained cold temperatures and snow from wet air from above the sea mixing with cold air from Russia.

Interesting.....in summer we normally get hot blasts from the north west coming straight off the scorching desert in central Australia.

It's like living in a fan forced oven which, as you can imagine, is not very pleasant.

This is the reason we have such horrific bush fires most years.

But we've had some reprieve this year.

• @Bunks said:

Are you on rain water @Shoshin1?

Fortunately it's bore water on the property

I recall my ex uncle in law was so summer was always a challenge with running out of water on the island.

Yes, it's a problem for many locals on tank water... A member from the local board rang my office the other day to see if we have had any clients who needed help with water ...around this time of year we start seeing people, (especially families who are renting) who are on a tight budget and have run out of water...
    The landlord is only responsible to make sure there's enough water in the tank when the tenant moves in, after which it becomes the tenant's responsibility....

The outside toilet saying was "if it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down" :p

Yes it still applies...

Bunks

We have no fires, we have plenty of rain and lots of lush vegetation, but the temperatures rarely go above 30C here, maybe a few days a year.

BunksShoshin1

It’s still snowing here... I saw that the government declared a ‘code red’ situation, which they usually only do with big storms. It probably means that the road salting trucks are having trouble keeping the roads clear.

But I’m tucked away in a comfy house with plenty of food, watching summaries of the super bowl.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Well this morning it is overcast and a bit windy, we are possibly in for some rain...however it was perfect weather for jolking.....

Bunks
  • Me, the Buddhas and future Daffs haz snow

BunksShoshin1
  • The tall brown building in the background is the hotel where my youngest son is staying for the next 10 days...in managed isolation...He arrived from Berlin last Friday..He is here for around three months on a working holiday, that is, he will still be working remotely for the company he works for back in Berlin...

I have to go over to Auckland again on Thursday after work to pick up my sandals that needed mending, the shoe repairer's shop is opposite the hotel... He said he will look out for me and wave from his hotel room window =)

Bunkslobster

This little guy (or gal) has been sitting beside me at my home work station for about 4 days now. Hasn't moved a muscle. Talk about patience.

Shoshin1
  • After work I had to travel over to Auckland CBD to pick up my sandals...
    Had a wave and a quick chat with my youngest son from his hotel room window this afternoon..

Third row in from the left, third window up ...So close yet so far...

Bunks

Yes! I see him @Shoshin1 - I am sure you are looking forward to seeing him in the flesh

Shoshin1

It is frustrating not to be able to hug loved ones even when you do see them in the flesh. Elbow bumps are fun but they are not really a substitute for a real hug.

BunksShoshin1

A nighttime low of -13 degrees today, it rarely gets this cold here.

@Kerome said:

Wow! That’s cold. Stay warm @Kerome

• Well first day of level three lockdown, the temperature's dropped and it's raining (first decent rain in months)....

Last Friday the 12th of Feb was the Lunar New Year... I am belated noticing this year.

https://buddhaweekly.com/preparing-for-losar-lunar-new-year-2021-year-of-the-golden-ox-may-all-beings-be-happy/

Bunks

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

Wow! That’s cold. Stay warm @Kerome

Its now a few degrees above zero again, the thaw has set in.

I saw on the weather report that they are expecting temperatures of 18 degrees in London and Paris this week. The weather is going crazy, I tell you.

Bunks
    edited February 2021

Two women I know, good friends of mine who don’t know eachother, both have iPhone 6’s, and they both independently came to me asking for advice about which phone to buy. They both settled on iPhone 11’s. I have an iPhone 7. Is this a sign?

You all know I have a weakness for tech gadgets 😉

Lots of people were skating over the weekend...

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Self isolation upon a stormy ocean...

The weather's hot & humid typical subtropical weather, the rain's refreshing...

Bunks
  • @Kerome said:

Lots of people were skating over the weekend...

The Dutch have produced some world class speed skaters ...

@Shoshin1 said:

>

The Dutch have produced some world class speed skaters ...

So has Australia...

https://www.technogym.com/au/newsroom/steven-bradbury-insane-story-short-track/

• We haz our first daff about to flower after snow ...

BunksShoshin1
  • Hello all and good whateverpartofthedayitis!

I've shared around here before that I am a member of a twelve step program. Typically, as a member of one of the various programs, you join a home group. Today, I've been asked by my home group to be the speaker for tonight and I've agreed. While different regions run their meetings as they see fit, speakers at my home group traditionally talk a little about 'what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now' as it pertains to our addiction, for about twenty minutes - give or take. Anywho, that's what I'll be doing tonight and just thought up, considered, and decided to pass on an invitation to you all. The address is https://zoom.us/j/2497321525, the password is 187, and the time is 7pm Eastern Standard time (3am GMT)

This isn't a request for support - I've done this many times before and am more than comfortable doing so; it's more of an offer if the idea intrigues anyone.

lobsterShoshin1federica
  • You want to see a miracle?

Plant seeds
    yesterday planted calendula
    today marigolds
    tomorrow chillis

They grow. We know how. Still a miracle.

BunksyagrShoshin1

@yagr I would have been pleased to come for a visit, but the time doesn’t work for me, I’ll be asleep then. I hope you have a good time.

yagr
  • A couple of days back I was listening to Sadhguru discussing with an American neuroscientist the concept of time and its relative nature...

Well Sadhguru gave an example of how we experience the length of time differently, he went on to say "How long a minute is, depends on which side of the toilet door you are on..." this comment cracked me up 😁... a been there done that moment...

Anyhow, on my jolk this morning I was at the half way point, where there's a public toilet and water fountain, I normally have a drink before heading back...Well today my bladder was full and ready to burst, so I popped into the public toilets, both cubicles were in use, so I waited patiently, then I heard one of the toilet's being flushed and the basin tap running, I thought any minute now...but it seemed to go on and on and on and my bladder was going crazy....

Standing there with a full bladder ready to burst seemed like the longest two minute on record....🤪😱🤪

BunkslobsterJeroenKotishka
  • my mini daffs (narcissi) are basking in the Spring sunshine 14°C

Bunks

nice to see you @federica

federica

What's with the snow falling when I open the page? It's summer!! :p

lobsterKotishkaShoshin1
  • @Bunks said:
    What's with the snow falling when I open the page? It's summer!! :p

That's dandruff @Bunks ;);)

Bunks
  • A client at work today gave the manager some pink oyster mushrooms for the staff... ...

Also had some a few months back when a friend of the client dropped in a big bag full,,,
    They are yummy...

federicaBunkslobster