Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's hard to believe/understand in Reincarnation and Karma when?!?!

Comments

• I concur with @TheEccentric. Bad Karma alone can't do anything, it needs a favorable environment to flourish. What we need to do is not to create an opportunity for our bad karma to realize.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    federica said:

No rule says you have to understand it.
    All you need to understand is the connection with the Noble Truth of Suffering.

Then it all falls into place.

No rule, but words of Buddha?
    Cinorjer said:

Movies like this are why I never can watch horror movies or even those shows on television that recreate this sort of thing. I can't even stand to watch "Criminal Mind" on television because it recreates the horror psychopaths inflict on others. It's just too painful for me to subject myself to.

Quite honestly, there are many Buddhists who really do believe the victims in horrible cases like this are being punished for something terrible they did in a previous life. I think for me it was summed up years ago when reading an article about the Thailand sex trade and a teenage girl sold by her parents into prostitution was interviewed. The girl said, "I must have done something awful in a previous life." Because of what she was taught about karma, she believed this was her fault and not the fault of men being slave to their desires using her.

This infection in Buddhism of the belief that karma is fate that eventually evens the scales and past life karma being responsible for bad things in this life is a huge problem that gets in the way of the message of liberation. It is also why repressive governments have no problem with Buddhism. It has a handy excuse for allowing all sorts of behavior.

That was really good! Thank you!
    cvalue said:

I concur with @TheEccentric. Bad Karma alone can't do anything, it needs a favorable environment to flourish. What we need to do is not to create an opportunity for our bad karma to realize.

Great point!!
    cvalue
  • federica said:

:bowdown:

That was really good! Thank you!

My own 'prescription' is to NEVER tell others they created their situation via karma. Yet whenever I have a suffering mind I see it as an opportunity to undergo mind training despite having bad karma. My mental illness might even BE bad karma. It is said that mental disorders come from doing drugs in a past life. I used to binge drink, regularly smoke marijuana, and binge use of marijuana. I also had 4 concussions where I had blurry vision and two where I had to get a CAT scan.

The nice thing about it being my karma is that I have control over my intentions. So by practicing I can make good karma. For example I can donate money or time to help people volunteering or making a donation. That will result in good karma for me. I think without karma the dharma is more nihilistic.

Thank you! That was really helpful!!
    Sabre
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    federica said:

Or falls apart.
    vinlynSabre
  • I am not in the mood to watch or read about 'bad stuff happening', have the News for that.

NT1 is a fact.
    I say it again, a fact.
    A FACT. Get over it.

I feel better now.

OK Karma . . .
    Here we are for whatever reason. Now what? Dwell? Wallow? Practice compassion?
    Whatever your circumstantial, familial, situational, pissed or past life karmaflage you have hope. You have dharma - just your karma I guess.

If you are reading this I will be doing powerful puja for you in a moment, whether you like it or not. Try and like it . . . is your karma . . . you lucky people . . .

:clap:
    DaltheJigsawKundoEvenThird
    lobster said:

I am not in the mood to watch or read about 'bad stuff happening', have the News for that.

NT1 is a fact.
    I say it again, a fact.
    A FACT. Get over it.

I feel better now.

OK Karma . . .
    Here we are for whatever reason. Now what? Dwell? Wallow? Practice compassion?
    Whatever your circumstantial, familial, situational, pissed or past life karmaflage you have hope. You have dharma - just your karma I guess.

If you are reading this I will be doing powerful puja for you in a moment, whether you like it or not. Try and like it . . . is your karma . . . you lucky people . . .

:clap:

Thanks friend!!
    EvenThird
  • LeonBasin said:

lobster said:

Thanks friend!!

:wave:

You are welcome. Even though I have the spiritual power of a tin of sardines, it's the thought that counts and the mountains that move the faithful . . .
    lobster said:

LeonBasin said:

lobster said:

Thanks friend!!

:wave:

You are welcome. Even though I have the spiritual power of a tin of sardines, it's the thought that counts and the mountains that move the faithful . . .
    LOL!!!
  • I didn't used to believe in reincarnation or karma and I used to consider myself atheist. Then I discovered Buddhism and became more open minded, it is unprovable either way so why would I consider it to not be true? Then I read The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying and now I believe in the truth of reincarnation and karma.
    cvalueEvenThird
  • I believe it teaches me that I cannot 'get away' with any bad behaviour. And for the positive it means that even if I am just dripping TINY drops of kindness and mindfulness and wisdom those drops will eventually add up to filling the bucket. Each meditation is like that pouring drops into the bucket.
    EvenThird
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nevermind said:

federica said:

Or falls apart.
    If it falls apart, then you have not understood.

Lee82 said:

I didn't used to believe in reincarnation or karma and I used to consider myself atheist. Then I discovered Buddhism and became more open minded, it is unprovable either way so why would I consider it to not be true? Then I read The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying and now I believe in the truth of reincarnation and karma.

So that was enough "proof?"
    Jeffrey said:

I believe it teaches me that I cannot 'get away' with any bad behaviour. And for the positive it means that even if I am just dripping TINY drops of kindness and mindfulness and wisdom those drops will eventually add up to filling the bucket. Each meditation is like that pouring drops into the bucket.

Very true!! I might add that Yoga might be like that for some people. For me at least it is.
  • federica said:

Maybe more correct to say nobody ever said you need to belief in it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2013
    LeonBasin said:

There are many more stories like it, but seriously, when reality hits you in the face, it's hard to understand humanity and to interpret what is going on in this world or outside of it.

Sabre said:

Maybe more correct to say nobody ever said you need to belief (Sic) in it.

In answering the OP's point, your response wouldn't make sense.
    I was replying directly to HIS comment......
  • LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

I didn't used to believe in reincarnation or karma and I used to consider myself atheist. Then I discovered Buddhism and became more open minded, it is unprovable either way so why would I consider it to not be true? Then I read The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying and now I believe in the truth of reincarnation and karma.

What proof do you seek? Because you are not likely to find it.
    Lee82 said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

Why do you say that?? Proof can be my own experiences, my own experiments and my own observations.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

Why do you say that?? Proof can be my own experiences, my own experiments and my own observations.
    Yes, that's proof for you, but not proof for the masses who may have a very different standard.

vinlyn said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

Yes, that's proof for you, but not proof for the masses who may have a very different standard.

That's not enough for me though. Am I missing something?
  • LeonBasin said:

vinlyn said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

Yes. Proof.
    lobster
    betaboy said:

LeonBasin said:

vinlyn said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

LeonBasin said:

Lee82 said:

Yes. Proof.
    LOL!:) Thank you kind human being!:)