Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you develop detachment?

Detachment seems very important in Buddhism. But how do you develop it? There are so many beautiful, alluring things in this world - it is so easy to get attached to them. In this context, how exactly is detachment possible?

I know the inevitable answer is, it is the middle way, the way of moderation. Not detachment. Fine. Again, the same question. How is that possible when it is easy to get attached to beautiful things? Whether it is detachment or middle way or whatever else you call it, it is all about being free from attachment, isn't it?

So the question remains (even if one tries to evade it by quoting the middle way mantra). How is this freedom to come about when, as if by our very nature, we seem to be attached to a lot of things?

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Realizing impermanence.
    bookwormJeffreyseeker242Dandelion
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

Detachment seems very important in Buddhism.

No, I don't think that's true. I think it's a mistake to think the opposite of attachment is detachment; this must be a wrong view.

Nothing I've learnt about Buddhism has taught me to detach from anything; in fact practicing compassion means I get stuck in and involved; though admittedly I try to do what I consider the 'right thing' and remain detached from the outcome.

And when the Buddha became Enlightened, he didn't go and live out the rest of his days in a forest (even though I think he was tempted); he created a sangha and taught. That's not detachment.

Hopefully someone wiser will come along and help us out with a better answer than mine.

David
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Just start paying attention to things and they will walk away all by themselves.
    Chazanataman
  • Reflect on the drawbacks of the state of attachment.
  • You've got it backwards. Attachment is the root of suffering.

On the other hand, my handbag has a detachable strap. That's very handy.
    Maureen9
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @betaboy, where do you get these ideas? i only ask, because whatever book you're reading and using as a possible source of reliable information - it isn't.
    I'd stop and find a better book, myself....
  • federica said:

@betaboy, where do you get these ideas? i only ask, because whatever book you're reading and using as a possible source of reliable information - it isn't.
    I'd stop and find a better book, myself....

Not from any book. I meditate on dhammapada ... and get these thoughts.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Glad you can share them, and we can put you right, then.... :rolleyes:
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I like how @Tosh put it - put your heart into it but remain detached from the outcome.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    poptart said:

You've got it backwards. Attachment is the root of suffering.

On the other hand, my handbag has a detachable strap. That's very handy.

I thought greed, hatred and delusion were the roots of attachment (with a bit of pride and jealousy thrown in)? I just can't make sense of all these instructions to detach them, they're just a confusing mess of thoughts, there's no strap and nothing that looks like a an easy release clip...?

Mettha
    Bunkswangchuey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I agree with @Tosh, too. You work towards things, and work on things, but you let go of expecting a certain outcome to happen. I also agree that just because Buddhism says attachment is no good, doesn't mean that the goal is detachment. It means letting go of control.

Kids are a great example. It's pretty hard to not be attached to your kids. But you have to let go of control and fear. We worry about them as adults because we know a different world than them, and as a result we project our fears onto them and try to direct them into a different decision because of *our* experience even though they come from a different set of causes and conditions. So while I love my children and I try to do my best to help them learn skills and resources I have to let go of controlling their outcome. I can't force them to care about their grades so I have to let go of that. Natural consequences tend to be much better than any lecture from me. So I'm not really detached from them, I just try hard to not attach my fears and expectations and to not exert control over them because of those things.

With material items, I find that practicing waiting 48 hours before I decide to get something helps me let go. Last night I was perusing web pages and was highly in desire of a particular puzzle and a new mala. I even made an argument that it was better to spend money on those items than, say candy or a movie. But because of my rule to wait, I didn't buy them and today I have let go of that desire. Most things like that go away, as someone said, impermanence. No matter how much you want something, that desire will go away. Practice, IMO, makes it easier to do that.
    anatamanBunks
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Short answer: You try samsara out for a while.

Long answer: Traditionally dispassion arises strictly from insight into the three marks: impermanence, non-self and suffering. Really you know you have the insight if there is dispassion that naturally arises, which leads then to the cessation of that specific clinging. And the freedom from that is peace and freedom.

So in a very practical sense you retrain your mind and body to tune into how suffering arises and how you can alleviate it. Sometimes we are dispassionate without insight and that can help, but it doesn't necessary link the insight with the action of dispassion leading to cessation.

bookwormlobsterwangchuey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2014
    There are a number of terms from Pali and Sanskrit best left untranslated.
    This because there is no clear equivalent in modern language and/or because they refer to phenomena that are not part of daily experience..
    One such is the word upeksha ( Sanskrit ) or upekkha ( Pali ). If we dig down into the meaning they do not translate as detachment. The nearest translation is 'equanimity '.
    It is a mindset that sees all phenomena that arise with neither overwhelming attraction nor aversion. This is not detachment, it is a positive mindset which rests in bare attention and awareness. It actually aids decision making and engagement with the world.
    personlobsterJeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

Detachment seems very important in Buddhism. But how do you develop it? There are so many beautiful, alluring things in this world - it is so easy to get attached to them. In this context, how exactly is detachment possible?

I know the inevitable answer is, it is the middle way, the way of moderation. Not detachment. Fine. Again, the same question. How is that possible when it is easy to get attached to beautiful things? Whether it is detachment or middle way or whatever else you call it, it is all about being free from attachment, isn't it?

So the question remains (even if one tries to evade it by quoting the middle way mantra). How is this freedom to come about when, as if by our very nature, we seem to be attached to a lot of things?

I have to agree with @Federica and @how here. You already know the answer but you don't want to hear it.

The answer is by recognizing the middle way. In this scenario, it isn't really moderation but calm abiding. Not to cling but not to push away. Letting go without throwing.

Mara won't be beaten into submission but he won't go quietly either.
    howanatamanlobsterJeffrey
    Mara is a bloke?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    anataman said:

Mara is a bloke?

Just for conventions sake. If anyone believes it's a bloke then I was speaking literally and if anyone doesn't then I was being metaphorical.
    Tosh
  • betaboy said:

Start with contentment. Be happy with what you have. Beautiful and alluring things are but if they lead us towards suffering, then we can't let that happen. From what I see, meditation practice is useful here. It may be our weakness, but there's no need for us to fall into a trap. We let ourselves fall in.

When you see beauty, see it as just "beauty" or see it as a perception of beauty. Just as when you meditate you think of thoughts as just thoughts and not adding me, my, mine or I to our thoughts.
  • wangchuey said:

Start with contentment. Be happy with what you have.

That's easier said than done though. I think contentment is a 'result' of causes and conditions and not something we can just start with.

I'm lazy, if I could start with contentment, I'd just stay there; all contented like.

howlobster
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Tosh said:

That's easier said than done though. I think contentment is a 'result' of causes and conditions and not something we can just start with.

I'm lazy, if I could start with contentment, I'd just stay there; all contented like.

What I meant by contentment is to see everything that you have now and feel lucky to be where you are. Not really trying to say stay at one point. More so trying to say observe the present moment and appreciate it. Beauty is pretty harmless if we're content, but it could definitely get to us when we're on the move and fueled by our ego.
  • wangchuey said:

Tosh said:

What I meant by contentment is to see everything that you have now and feel lucky to be where you are. Not really trying to say stay at one point. More so trying to say observe the present moment and appreciate it. Beauty is pretty harmless if we're content, but it could definitely get to us when we're on the move and fueled by our ego.
    Ah, yes - I agree - but I think maybe 'gratitude' would be a better word than contentment though.

I'm in A.A. and it teaches that developing a mind of gratitude is really important on the spiritual path (probably because sober alkies are a negative bunch of gimps).
    Bunks
  • Detachment seems very important in Buddhism. But how do you develop it?
    :)
    Why would you? All those wonderful and terrible emotive arisings grabbing your being.
    'Give us this day our daily craving', I believe is part of The Lord's Prayer? Maybe not all so wonderful?

So how do we attend to the arisings without being overwhelmed? Attention, attention, attention? Or perhaps something simpler?
  • Meditate on impermanence for attachment to 'life'.
    Meditate on suffering for attachment to pleasure.
    Meditate on love for attachment to peace

That IS the dharma according to the Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is THE text for the Lam Rim (gradual path) in Kagyu sect of Tibetan Buddhism.
  • He who binds to himself a joy Does the winged life destroy; But he who kisses the joy as it flies Lives in eternity's sun rise.
    William Blake

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williambla150149.html#wDv5TIfxlg8oClrA.99
    lobsteranataman
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I find that one good technique is to imagine that you have already got what you so long for and then look and see that no, that really isn't going to bring any real lasting satisfaction. Because once I get it and enjoy it for a while, the novelty wears off and then you just sit there going "Ok, what do I do now?..." And then that process repeats itself over and over and over with whatever you go attaching to. When you can see that getting what you want is inevitably going to be dissatisfying at the end of the day, so to speak, the attachment to it goes away by itself.
    JeffreyBunks
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ' Letting go without throwing'

Quote of the week.
    wangchuey
    @betaboy:
    (Dis - a Latin prefix meaning “apart,” “asunder,” “away,” “utterly,” or having a privative, negative, or reversing force)

Please define your detachment - is it indifference (aloofness), disinterest, disengagement or disconnection.

Mettha
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Well, there is a saying: "What will be will be."
    And another: "What is, is."

We cannot change reality to suit ourselves, really. You, as you age, will learn to be more enjoying things for what they are and noting that you yourself are dynamic and suit yourself to the situation as best as you can, or you will be unhappy for your lifetime.

Perspective: I am over 60 years old, and more and more I have learned to go with the flow in the sense of accepting to a degree what I cannot change.
    Jeffrey
    Can't argue with that....
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Vastmind said:

' Letting go without throwing'

Quote of the week.

Something I am trying to teach my 14 month old son!
    lobsterVastmind
  • betaboy said:

Don't get attached in the first place?
  • footiam said:

betaboy said:

Don't get attached in the first place?
    Not an option. Most of us are hard wired for attachment with our first gasping breath.
    lobster
  • betaboy said:

Ok I'll give a basic example. Say you and a friend are at a beach and all of a sudden you notice an awe inspiring sunset taking place just before your eyes. You take in the colour, the sound of the ocean, the breeze that runs through your hair and in that moment you are fully there, not attached, not grasping. Your friend comments: "Wow, this looks amazing, it reminds me of that sunset 3 years ago" ... you nod and reflect on that time and in that very moment you aren't enjoying the actual sunset anymore.

You are enjoying your thoughts and beliefs ABOUT sunsets. Then you notice the actual sunset is starting to fade and you feel sad, displeased, grasping start's to take hold and you cling to your concepts and thoughts about how it should be, feel and look, and in that very moment you become attached, struggling to accept the new reality.

The problem isn't beautiful things in life fading away, it's your thoughts and inner experience which can colour your moments in a way that will lead to attachment, IME regular practice of mindfulness really helps in getting unstuck.

Hope this helps :)
    karasti