Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What you would do if you become a Buddha?

rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
edited January 2016 in Buddhism Today

Would you continue your work/career or start preaching to help others?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

Hopefully, be no more limited to only three options, than I am now.

rohitlobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I don't do "Buddha." I'm counting on you. :)

Nirvanarohityagrlobster
  • hmmm

lobsterrohit
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran
    edited January 2016

@rohit said:

Well. I consider myself a Bodhisattva. A nonenlightened person who postpone her enlightenment in order to help others through different means towards theirs. Im a teacher by profession and I like to help people in general. I try to be a good listener and found many trust me in telling me what they personally go through beyond the "my co worker was nasty to me" talk. I would like to practice more meditation by right speech (etc). Im more free spirited and try to be holistic. If I live this way in full, thats really all I want with others things like continuing education, travelong the world, etc Keeping my mind flexible and hand surprises heathily. Thats what I would do as a Buddha.

rohit
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited January 2016

Well, I asked this question because I was always in hurry to be eligible to escape the rebirth. When I decided to walk on eightfold path since childhood many people told that I behave too mature to my age. But it does not mean i am serious looking. I laugh usually and enjoys humour in all.
    But struggle to live as a normal person makes me think that I would get trapped in worldy matters one day that I might loss my control to be right to able to liberate finally.

Anyhow right efforts tells us to do work based on right principles. May be it's our training to mold our mind when we are living with eightfold path life long so we will finally get liberation naturally.

• Well, assuming many of us are in some form of helping profession, we'd continue that, of course. Helping reduce suffering for sentient beings. Even if you have more of a generic job, you can find ways to make it meaningful, find ways to use it to help people, or at least, brighten someone's day. If not, you can do that in your off hours.

I would NOT proselytize. People don't always appreciate preachers. Unless you meant, OP, becoming a teacher in a sangha. But in order to do that, you'd have to have a lot of textual study behind you. It's possible to reach Buddhahood without that, I think. So you wouldn't necessarily be qualified to be a preacher, if you see what I mean.

rohitlobster
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I would give away ice-cream.

You and your ice cream, man.

• Look at the bottom of your screen page. We are on Vanilla forums.

Here to help. o:)

yagr
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"What you would do if you become a Buddha?"

Nothing :)

@Shoshin said:

What about right livelihood?

• @rohit said:

@Shoshin said:

What about right livelihood?

Maybe she meant she'd do nothing differently than she's doing now. Because she's already practicing right livelihood, perhaps.

Shoshinrohit
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

^^^^ ...No doubt there would be a improvement of this nothing differently but other wise nothing differently as @Dakini has mentioned :)

rohit
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'd try to perform miracles, like producing fire and water simultaneously or flying, flying is cool.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@rohit said:

is there a difference?

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

@person said: I'd try to perform miracles, like producing fire and water simultaneously or flying, flying is cool.

Yeah, I just want the superpowers. ;)

...to do nice Miss World type things, of course, not Doctor Evil type stuff.

• Today on National Public Radio news, I heard about a woman who was making a 6-figure salary doing something unspecified in CA, living the CA lifestyle. She suddenly heard a voice that told her to invest in hotels to help the homeless and the poor. So she left her job, moved to Arizona, and bought an old, ruined hotel. She found a handyman/plumber/electrician who needed housing, so she lets him stay there free, while he gradually fixes up one room after the other. She put together a program whereby the homeless can live there for 2 years while they get their lives together. They can take classes, or do whatever they need to do. She teaches them budgeting skills. I have no idea how she funds this.

That is a bodhisattva. That's a very good example of what someone might do upon becoming a Buddha.

CarlitarohitJeffreyWalker
  • @rohit said:

Buddhahood first iz Master Plan. ;)
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/7415/can-laypeople-become-enlightened

rohit
  • What would you do in a lucid dream?

rohit

@Jeffrey said:
    What would you do in a lucid dream?

Oh! First I tried to counter attack the statement. But I finally realised the meaning of this statement. The way we forget and forgive in dreams everything and move forward . This is how we need to live life.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2016

@Jeffrey said:
    What would you do in a lucid dream?

I was going to say the same thing, lol.

And also to almost mimic @person, I would probably instinctively try to fly because when I realize I'm dreaming the first thing I do is fly for a bit.

If I don't fly and I really am completely as awake as a buddha then I would probably know what to do.

Maybe visit some rich lady and tell her to buy a hotel.

Further speculation could possibly hinder the most probable outcome so maybe I'll leave it at that.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said: What would you do in a lucid dream?

Fly to Tescos and buy ice-cream!

rohit
  • @SpinyNorman said:

@Jeffrey said: What would you do in a lucid dream?

Fly to Tescos and buy ice-cream!

Hey, Spiney, there's a restaurant in my town that makes their own ice cream, and in winter, they have creamy pomegranate Ice cream! They make it in small batches, so it's fresh every couple of days, while in season. =)

• @SpinyNorman said:
    Yeah, I just want the superpowers. ;)

...to do nice Miss World type things, of course, not Doctor Evil type stuff.

Tee hee.
    'Superpowers', which are incredibly mundane in my experience but still experientally out of the ordinary are a result of 'right concentration'.
    http://buddhist-spirituality.com/suffering-end/the-eightfold-path/right-concentration

• I don't think I would know until I got there.

rohit