Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

SGI (Am I a Buddhist?)

CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us!United States Veteran

This is not to put down SGI. I chant with them; and, some members are my friends.

When you become an SGI member, you dont take the vows of the three jews. I assume only Nichiren Shu does this. As a result, when someone ask my religion (though I practice paganism) I am hesitant to tell them I am a Buddhist because I practice and hold a lot of Theraada and Mahayana Buddhist morals and some practices. Yet, SGI doesnt have any of this.

Would it be appropriate to say "I am a Buddhist?" I dont like lying to people and saying I am a pagan (which I assocate with practice not defined by beliefs) or would I say "I practice Buddhist morals" or maybe I'm a Boddhisattva?

I talk with a lot of religious people who are very some see a lot of stereotypes in ther religions: all Buddhists are Asian. All Catolics are white and hispanic. All baptist are african american. All UU are white.

Seriously. This is true.

I just want to know if its appropriate given that is the only Buddhist Sangha that I can practice and cmmune with our a more frequent basis because of distance.

Thanks.

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2016

Whatever label you want to use...use it.

Who's gonna check you? The Dharma police?

I always liked what H.H.T.D.L says: "Kindness is my religion"

DaozenStingRayBreathingSince72
  • Kale4DayzKale4Dayz California Explorer

One of my friends likes to tell people that she's simply "a student of Buddhism." It takes the pressure off of her and what her practice is "supposed to be."

VastmindsilverStingRayBreathingSince72
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran
    edited February 2016

If I lived alone, @Vastmind I wouldnt care. Since I dont; I live in a residential community owned by the Catholic Church, it is customary every now and then for someone ask about my religious affliation. It is well know that everyone is christian and if not, some variation thereof. I like "kindness is my religion." I am open about my faith as how I am used to to be open about who you are to others who have genuine inerest in you as a human being. Sometimes I ask about their belief in god since its different per person. Definition of kindness Im sure varies as well.

@Kale4Dayz that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of saying I follow The Buddha'a teachings then that leads to a conversation of what that means. We are supposed to "worship" the Buddha in their eyes. Clarification is always needed.

Younger generation seem to not question it as much.

That and would it be appropriate to say I am a Buddhist given SGI differs grastically in how they view Buddhism compare to all other schools and vehicles.

edited February 2016

So...is this about SGI being/not being 'mainstream'? ... or...

Is it about how you see yourself and how much you want to explain to others?

edited February 2016

@Vastmind said:
    So...is this about SGI being 'legitimate'? ... or...

' I live in a residential community owned by the Catholic Church, it is customary every now and then for someone ask about my religious affliation'

Interesting...I would assume most people there would assume most other people are Catholic or not "other". I would keep it simple and keep it movin'. Most people are a little curious, but if they are really interested in learning about new things, they could read for themselves. Like I said...interesting

They do but they dont see me at church services and I dont talk about god or anything of that nature when they do. They are about 75 and older so its normal. My co-worker cant go a full two sentences without having something to say about god.

The Church usually wants Catholics to be in the services etc they provide but the exclusion of descrimination etc prevent them from saying "only Catholics can live here"' That and the priest that helped with our complex passed away; so, its more protestant (hence more fundamental).

They are genuine questions from nice people. A JW asked me in more detail about my faith and I was surprised. Another two openly talked about it and thie faith with me.

Its just the people I live with. SGI is an organization from Nichiren Shoshu. A lot of the teachings from Shoshu were rejected because of the political confiction between them. I have friends at the organization and chant with them. They dont hold Buddhist concepts (or teachings from the sutras) they touch on outside the Object of worship..

and so forth..

but the initation into the SGI isnt taking the three jewels vows and the precepts. Its about world peace. So, I thought is it appropriate for me to say I am a Buddhist given the extreme differences between SGI and other schools including Shoshu.

edited February 2016

Sorry...I edited after I post....you'll get used to me after awhile....I type..then I read and edit. I type as I think/thoughts come...but after reading I realize I could've kept some of that, hahaha. I also end up editing bec of terrible spelling and vocab...anyway...

So....what do YOU think? .... Is it appropriate to use that label for you? Why or why not?
    Where is the struggle for the label coming from?

BTW....where are my manners? I haven't even spoke first :3 .... Hi...nice to meet. =)

edited February 2016

@Vastmind said:
    Sorry...I edited after I post....you'll get used to me after awhile....I type..then I read and edit. I type as I think/thoughts come...but after reading I realize I could've kept some of that, hahaha. I also end up editing bec of terrible spelling and vocab...anyway...

So....what do YOU think? .... Is it appropriate? Why or why not?

LOL you must be my clone. I do the exact same thing with my posts.

Yes and no.

Yes, depending on how I do so. That and it depends on who.

No. People gossip. It leads to a sour enviornment. Depends on the person who may react in one way or another.

Its not illegal. I am open about my beliefs if someone is genuinely interested. I have a lot of friends here but friends wouldnt defriend someone if they dont share the same beliefs especially if its sinful.

So its a yes or not answer.

edited February 2016

@Vastmind

So...is this about SGI being/not being 'mainstream'? ... or...

--

It is appropriate to say what I believe since that would lead to an explanation and whoever it is with or how I present it, that person can be nice or not.

Nothing to do with SGI themselves. Since they dont have initation vows as all Buddhist schools do, it would seem like I am lying to say I am a Buddhist. I dont believe in self-initiation.

edited February 2016

People will always gossip. You have no control over that. If they talked smack about Jesus, they'll talk smack about you, as my Nana used to tell us, hahaha.

Just do your part on limiting any sourness...that's all you can do.
    Labels, especially within Buddhist context/Understanding changes over time. I think you'll figure out what makes you comfortable and how to handle different people.

Nice talking to you...see you around. =)

lobstersilver

Thank you

Vastmind

@Lionduck said:
    I am an SGI member and have no hesitation in saying "I am Buddhist".

Being a Buddhist is, naturally, something of which to be proud of but not arrogant.
    When I came to this site, I knew my practice was/is very different from most of the other folks here. I seek to find, encourage and nurture what is shared, our common belief. We are all approaching Buddhism from different roads; but we are all approaching as Buddhists and as seekers.

As I am a slow typist and the day is progressing, I'll end here.

Peace to all

Thank you! Yeah. I am not too comfortable with some SGI perspectives, but I met good friends here and enjoy chanting and learning about the sutras and gosho. I read on a monastary site (theravada) that once you take the vows and precepts one is "traditionally Buddhist" (As the site says itself). That got me thinking of how SGI plays into this given the Shoshu mix up.

I wouldnt say we are not Buddhist. I believe we are all Boddhsattvas of the Earth. If that was a easy term to explain, Id probably use that than Buddhist.

Maybe personal preference rather than technicality based on school perspectives?

• Could you explain how it is that SGI doesn't have "Buddhist morals" (I assume that means--taking the precepts), and how they don't take the refuge vow? (..."three jews", haha! What a great typo! ) What do they do, then? What part of it is Buddhist? Do they teach the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, compassion, meditation/insight, and non-attachment?

edited February 2016

@Dakini said:
    Could you explain how it is that SGI doesn't have "Buddhist morals" (I assume that means--taking the precepts), and how they don't take the refuge vow? (..."three jews", haha! What a great typo! ) What do they do, then? What part of it is Buddhist? Do they teach the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, compassion, meditation/insight, and non-attachment?

This is personal experience.

In Theravada (Nichiren is Mahayana) traditions, they take up the the three Jewels (not jews, lol, sorry) literally. The monostary I will be going to in the spring takes them up every new moon. Its a ceremony and I assume there are cultural things that one does in the Sangha that I dont see in some Mahayana traditions.

The precepts are not "taken" in SGI Buddhism. Some of them are practiced (like non killing) others are strictly seen for monastics. As one SGI said "those are provisionary teachings." Nichiren Shonin says the precepts are Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. There is a letter in the Gosho that explains how the precepts are taken within Daimoku.

SGI doesnt take the physical precepts. They dont practice the monastic ones. Other ones are just common sense like no killing and no intoxicants. Instead, I just paid for my Gohonzon (which no other school I know says you have to pay for an object of devotion; one monk practicually laughed-theravada). We have a very short sermon. Its not like Shoshu where there is are full vows. I guess its assumed in SGI that the vows are there when they tell us to chant.

Nichiren Shonin told his followers not to follow monastic ruless associated with provisional teaching. This includes the Self and non-self teaching. The four noble truth. The eight fold paths and so forth. When I read the Gosho, Nichiren is pretty much took all the monastic teachings The Buddha said and put it all in the Lotus Sutra.

SGI doesnt study the gosho directly. They study it through Ikeda's writings. So, study of the gosho is probably do individually. I have a feeling that the Lotus Sutra isnt studied at all. Remember, SGI came from Nichiren Shoshu. Shoshu believed that Nichiren was an reincarnation of The Buddha. Nichiren never taught that. That aside, though, Im not saying SGI doesnt show compassion, etc. They dont have formal ceremonies and practices (other than chanting Daimoku and Gongyo and meetings) that reflect provisional teachings Nichiren Shonin himself disgarded.

--

In my opinion, I dont believe in self-initiated Buddhist. While I call myself a Bodhisattva of the Earth (as Nichiren Shonin says) I try not to say I am a Buddhist; because I did not formally take those vows. I feel like Im lying. Instead I try to live and study the Lotus Sutra, Pali, and Gosho as much as I can. I chant with my friends. Im just uncomfortable with some teachings in most schools SGI lacks. It doesnt mean they are wrong; and, it just means I am uncomfortable with it.

That is why I dont feel comfortable saying I am a Buddhist even though I practice with SGI. But wouldnt it be appropriate that I say I am even though Theravada schools say otherwise? Plus, Mahayana has a different spin on Buddhist teachings. Everyone is a Buddha (has a true nature) we just have to discover it.

Its not belittlign SGI. Its asking is it appropriate to call mself Buddhist given how I see SGI compared to other schools I know of and the Pali I study from as well.

• Used to have a few SGI friends I met on Buddhist boards and we corresponded regularly. We did lose track of each other over the years, but that happens. They were great people, compassionate and dedicated to their practice, even if they were capable of wandering off into left field once in a while. Pretty much defines all of us, doesn't it?

Of course you're Buddhist. There are a thousand and one gates to the Dharma.

Carlita
  • Options!

You say "I am a Buddhist" and believe it
    You say "I am a Buddhist" and don't believe it
    You say "I am not a Buddhist" and believe it
    You say "I am not a Buddhist" and don't believe it

You say nothing, believe nothing, see everything

Namaste

Cinorjersilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

It seems you don't know if you are pagan, SGI, Boddhisatvian etc. That seems a good answer - 'I don't know'. <3

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

If you are to tell someone "I am a Buddhist" are they really going to go into the details of Mahayana or SGI or whatever? Most people don't even know all that stuff exists. The very basics and foundation of Buddhism (which flows through all of it, whether it is specifically touched on or not) is enough to digest for a lifetime. For the sake of honesty and openness and religious discussion, that should be enough. I don't think with most people, especially those of other faiths, you should have to get into such specifics. I don't even go into them with my family. I am a Buddhist because I believe in what Buddha taught. End of story. It doesn't matter which flavor it is to anyone except for me.

DocMarx
    edited February 2016

@lobster said:
    It seems you don't know if you are pagan, SGI, Boddhisatvian etc. That seems a good answer - 'I don't know'. <3

Woah.

I practice paganism for 34 years of my life. Its part of my family.

I am a Buddha. I have a true nature. This is a fact regardless of what I believe

Boddhisattva of the Earth are people who practice love and compassion and help others before they help themselves. Everyone who acts in this way are Bodhisattvas.

People love labels. They want you to fit in one box. Life does not woek that way. Unless they know me personally, all they (ans people online) can do is assume.

I hate assumptions.

With that said, I do know. What I dont know is how to say it in one lump some in a christian community, christian environment, in a christian area. They become confused.

@Kartari

True. I live in a christian community (apartment residential community) so a lot of us know each other well. I also work where I live. So, its customary to talk a out religion in one way or another. People are over 65 or so over so there is a lot of people dealing with depression so they dont mind talking to me about what they passionate about and learning about me as well.

@Cinorjer said:
    Used to have a few SGI friends I met on Buddhist boards and we corresponded regularly. We did lose track of each other over the years, but that happens. They were great people, compassionate and dedicated to their practice, even if they were capable of wandering off into left field once in a while. Pretty much defines all of us, doesn't it?

Of course you're Buddhist. There are a thousand and one gates to the Dharma.

Thank you.

• @Carlita said:
    I am a Buddha.

Gosh!
    There is always one. B)

Well that seems how can I put this kindly, as meaningless an answer as any other. As your labels are personally relevant, you could call yourself Catholic to match your tastes.

As a Buddha (que?), you might be capable of working out a skilfull reply ... o:)

Personally I feel, 'I don't know' seems very appropriate ... good luck, I really don't know what you should say. Nothing might not be an option. <3

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

You may say that you are born in the family having the faith which you know. And nowadays you are becoming interested in Buddhism.

edited February 2016

@lobster said:

@Carlita said:
    I am a Buddha.

Gosh!
    There is always one. B)

Well that seems how can I put this kindly, as meaningless an answer as any other. As your labels are personally relevant, you could call yourself Catholic to match your tastes.

As a Buddha (que?), you might be capable of working out a skilfull reply ... o:)

Personally I feel, 'I don't know' seems very appropriate ... good luck, I really don't know what you should say. Nothing might not be an option. <3

Mahayana Buddhist say we are Buddhas but we do not know it without all the crud on us. We dont indentify as if we "are" suffering but that we suffer. Its not saying one is enlightened. Its saying one has a true nature that can be enlightened.

Not all schools believe this or say it this way, but most (edit: Dont) belittle my views and ways I express it.

edited February 2016

@rohit said:
    You may say that you are born in the family having the faith which you know. And nowadays you are becoming interested in Buddhism.

No. The culture part is what Im learning more of more recently. Im not young anymore. I have no time to explore new things just mature in things I already know is fact and making it my life. Buddhism is just a name. Nothing more.

edited February 2016

@federica said:
    I just tell people I'm Buddhist. If they want to draw their own conclusions, come to their own assumptions, or ask their own questions, that's up to them. I know what I mean. That's what matters.
    I can't be there to nursemaid everyone's thought processes or understanding of me. Until they clarify where their curiosity lies, I cannot assume they know any more about me from that statement than they did before.
    If they have a mindset and particular view of me, that's up to them to clarify. Not me.
    I can't un-muddy their picture if I don't know what their picture looks like to begin with.

The only way you can clarify peoples' impressions, is if you know what their impressions first are.

Many people think, for example (the moment you mention 'Buddha') that he's the fat, sitting, laughing guy, which of course couldn't be further from the truth. As the Founder of this forum originally explained to those unaware of the Buddha - "We don't worship the fat guy!"

People misconstrue all kinds of things. But until they clarify - neither can we.

LOLOLOL Thank you.l I needed that.

Seriously, though. I needed that. Im not in a good mood at the moment and cant sleep.

:)

Cinorjerrohit

@Carlita said:

@rohit said:

No. The culture part is what Im learning more of more recently. Im not young anymore. I have no time to explore new things just mature in things I already know is fact and making it my life. Buddhism is just a name. Nothing more.

Buddha never said that he is Buddhist. Same way it's ok to not get destracted to identity. What difference does it make unless you don't want to propagate the religion?

DocMarx

@rohit said:

@Carlita said:

@rohit said:

Buddha never said that he is Buddhist. Same way it's ok to not get destracted to identity. What difference does it make unless you don't want to propagate the religion?

If I lived in a regular apartment complex it wouldnt bother me. I dont. Its a community. People get to know you (and you try not to say much cause it ends up in another persons ears) and you just mix and match with people. Its not like going outside in my regular christian environment and deciding not to say anything; thats no problem. In my immediate living area sometimes my co-workers, neighbors, etc talk about religion. I am very open about how I feel. Im not someone who likes to keep what she believes to herself. If someone says something to me and I want to say "may the spirits bless you" or something of that nature, I shouldnt have to feel closested from showing generosity and empathy for others as they do for me through their belief.

Im just not like that. If I loved books and someone said "you can love books but you dont always have to talk about books and your interest in them" and I thinkm, "why not?" Religion is no different. Its not something I personally feel is special or keep "in the closet"'' Unlike most my neighbors and church who has a lot of ralleys etc puting their values on others, I talk about my in a kind way. I shouldnt have to be closeted by sharing my belief because "buddhists dont call themselves buddhists"' I feel we should be proud (not ego) of who we are in our practice. We should have a sense of belonging that if someone asks or talks about your faith, you can talk about it as if youre talking about books or cars.

It shouldnt be "no religion or politics" allowed. Im grateful to live in a country that doesnt arrest people for differing beliefs. Our politics in the states are more indirect when it comes to descrimiantion. Its something else.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with how I identify as a Buddhist and how I indentify with friends who are SGI. Its just a simple qustion that because I do practice with them and hold Nichiren Buddhist values and have not taken formal vows within the Buddhist tradition (which for me personally, I find value in more than self-initiation), would it be appropriate to call myself a Buddhist when someone asks. That, and how do I talk with someone about religion without finding the need to closet my faith just so they wont get upset and to keep the peace. Even though I can talk about Christianity for hours and they wont see anything wrong with it.

Many of you already answered. It just bothers me.

edited February 2016

@Carlita said:

@rohit said:

@Carlita said:

@rohit said:

If I lived in a regular apartment complex it wouldnt bother me. I dont. Its a community. People get to know you (and you try not to say much cause it ends up in another persons ears) and you just mix and match with people. Its not like going outside in my regular christian environment and deciding not to say anything; thats no problem. In my immediate living area sometimes my co-workers, neighbors, etc talk about religion. I am very open about how I feel. Im not someone who likes to keep what she believes to herself. If someone says something to me and I want to say "may the spirits bless you" or something of that nature, I shouldnt have to feel closested from showing generosity and empathy for others as they do for me through their belief.

Im just not like that. If I loved books and someone said "you can love books but you dont always have to talk about books and your interest in them" and I thinkm, "why not?" Religion is no different. Its not something I personally feel is special or keep "in the closet"'' Unlike most my neighbors and church who has a lot of ralleys etc puting their values on others, I talk about my in a kind way. I shouldnt have to be closeted by sharing my belief because "buddhists dont call themselves buddhists"' I feel we should be proud (not ego) of who we are in our practice. We should have a sense of belonging that if someone asks or talks about your faith, you can talk about it as if youre talking about books or cars.

It shouldnt be "no religion or politics" allowed. Im grateful to live in a country that doesnt arrest people for differing beliefs. Our politics in the states are more indirect when it comes to descrimiantion. Its something else.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with how I identify as a Buddhist and how I indentify with friends who are SGI. Its just a simple qustion that because I do practice with them and hold Nichiren Buddhist values and have not taken formal vows within the Buddhist tradition (which for me personally, I find value in more than self-initiation), would it be appropriate to call myself a Buddhist when someone asks. That, and how do I talk with someone about religion without finding the need to closet my faith just so they wont get upset and to keep the peace. Even though I can talk about Christianity for hours and they wont see anything wrong with it.

You should not bother much. I can understand your quest because I also face similar issue. First of all I do not fall in inter religious debate and never try to correct people of other faiths. First of all religion is personal issue, need not to discuss with people supposed to firm to other faiths. Only if someone is really in need and asks about real help then you may tell about it. Because we all have grasped Buddhism when we are in greatest need. This is not a bookish way but I have experience of inter religious debate which goes more about who is right than what is right.
    You can just smile little when you will face some difficulty to deal with possible arguments or debate and never try to correct people of other beliefs in discussion. Do you read story about Buddha when a person asked Buddha is there god then he remained silent.
    After many shouting he said yes. And when he agin asked is there god really then he said no.
    More specifically You might say something like this. O yes I do find much similarities in Buddhism and Christianity to the people supposed to debate.
    If you are sure people who is asking you is open minded and sure there would not be arguments then you can openly tell thar you are Buddhist.
    If someone asks me about my faith then I reply that I am Buddhist through practice and never go into debate when they start.
    Rituals does not matters. The good thing is that person has chose religion oneself and trying best to walk the path on it's principles.

@rohit said:

@Carlita said:

@rohit said:

@Carlita said:

@rohit said:

You should not bother much. I can understand your quest because I also face similar issue. First of all I do not fall in inter religious debate and never try to correct people of other faiths. First of all religion is personal issue, need not to discuss with people supposed to firm to other faiths. Only if someone is really in need and asks about real help then you may tell about it. Because we all have grasped Buddhism when we are in greatest need. This is not a bookish way but I have experience of inter religious debate which goes more about who is right than what is right.
    You can just smile little when you will face some difficulty to deal with possible arguments or debate and never try to correct people of other beliefs in discussion. Do you read story about Buddha when a person asked Buddha is there god then he remained silent.
    After many shouting he said yes. And when he agin asked is there god really then he said no.
    More specifically You might say something like this. O yes I do find much similarities in Buddhism and Christianity to the people supposed to debate.
    If you are sure people who is asking you is open minded and sure there would not be arguments then you can openly tell thar you are Buddhist.
    If someone asks me about my faith then I reply that I am Buddhist through practice and never go into debate when they start.
    Rituals does not matters. The good thing is that person has chose religion oneself and trying best to walk the path on it's principles.

Thank you. My co-worker is the only one who really is anzy about it. My neighbors are more nice and inquisitive and have their bias as well. You know how they say dont about religion and politics at work? Well, thats basically her language. I havent heard her say one paragraph without mentioning something intense about god and the bible. She is very nice (thin skin, though). I just try to smile and nod and say "I will tell you up front, we share different opinions" and she says she knows are starts to resepct that more. She has been through a lot so, like me, she doesnt want to isolate her feelings anymore about things she is very pationate about no matter how the other person feels.

Buddhism isnt like that. So, its hard to really talk when I have closeted feelings, trying to live Buddhist values, find ways to express myself, and try not to answer direct questions about my faith even when those questions are guinene just indirectly bias.

On another note, I had brain surgery so my response to stress and interaction is different than some people. It puts a strain on communication and back and forth interaction. So, trying to see the positive is hard. Last comment, though. Its like not wearing my favorite color outfit because I know people will ask questions about it if they do or dont like it. Instead of shying and saying nothing, Im more likely to say why this color is my favorite (if they ask in detail) or just say something that even though it disagrees with their view, I still stand up to my preferences.

Anyway, I read all you said. Just have a lot of stuff on my mind.

Thank you and guys.

The one thing that just came to mind is, perhaps instead of always thinking you need to talk and engage, perhaps it is sometimes best just to practice true compassionate listening. Thich Nhat Hanh has some great exercises for that. We tend to view someone else's talking as an opportunity for us to compare and immediately come back with our views. It's like we are taught that every conversation is an opportunity for debate rather than just listening.

When you said "if I love books and want to always talk about books, why shouldn't I?" my thought was "why would you?" Not everything we think, everything we are passionate about needs to be shared. It certainly shouldn't (IMO) mean that just because we really like something that it's ok to talk about it all the time. I'm not saying never to. Just that this might be a good opportunity to investigate your need to talk and discuss and how you and your housemates might benefit from more listening and less talking.

I quite enjoy the "extra" precepts that discuss right speech and the function of necessary/unnecessary speech. It makes me wonder how quiet the world would be if we only said what truly needs to be said. I think it would be a good thing. Too often we think all the spinning thoughts in our heads deserve a voice. They don't.

Walkerlobster

@karasti said:
    The one thing that just came to mind is, perhaps instead of always thinking you need to talk and engage, perhaps it is sometimes best just to practice true compassionate listening. Thich Nhat Hanh has some great exercises for that. We tend to view someone else's talking as an opportunity for us to compare and immediately come back with our views. It's like we are taught that every conversation is an opportunity for debate rather than just listening.

When you said "if I love books and want to always talk about books, why shouldn't I?" my thought was "why would you?" Not everything we think, everything we are passionate about needs to be shared. It certainly shouldn't (IMO) mean that just because we really like something that it's ok to talk about it all the time. I'm not saying never to. Just that this might be a good opportunity to investigate your need to talk and discuss and how you and your housemates might benefit from more listening and less talking.

I quite enjoy the "extra" precepts that discuss right speech and the function of necessary/unnecessary speech. It makes me wonder how quiet the world would be if we only said what truly needs to be said. I think it would be a good thing. Too often we think all the spinning thoughts in our heads deserve a voice. They don't.

I understand that. In dialogue especially among friends its usually a back and forh conversation. Unlike outside enviornment, communities tend to want to know more about each other and are pretty persistant in keeping up with each other.

The more I listen, the less they talk. While we both listen, no one talks. Its different than talking to a friend about an issue and I "do" listen and less talk. When we both talk about something we are passionate about we tend to swap listening/talking. Hobbies, school, work, sometimez politics works well with this type of dialogue. Because of the age group and different eliefs, it doesnt work well in religion. Since religion is personal, that is how we get to know each other. Its like someone ask me "oh, who are you?" And I just listen. "Who are you?" I finally answer. I am..... "what do you mean?..... " (In Buddhisn there are no labels) I am just me. Who are you? They answer, "I am christian" (not a label. Not a title. But they are saying they have an intimate relationship with christ.) We talk about christianity. Then they ask again, "who are you?

"Umm. Im a Buddhist"

And they feel betrayed. Like they were talking to someone "like them" but now I all of the sudden lied.

I cant change how they feel, of course "and" they are my friends. So, being such, we talk more. If they ask about my faith, I share more. Most are very distant. That is fine.

The closer they get as a friend, the more they seem to judge what I believe. Then I think. Maybe its age. Maybe its senior depression.

But The Buddha didnt go silent when he say people suffer. He adapted his "medicine" to the help people of varying suffering. He listened ans he spoke. However, Im not quite like him. I still have a long way to go to find that balance.

Listening is good. Talking is good. Compassion. The whole nine yards.

Everyones advices are well said. I have to meditate on it more because not everythi g addresses issues as we want it to. Its too deep seeded.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Carlita said:

Everyones advices are well said. I have to 'meditate' on it more because not everythi g addresses issues as we want it to. Its too deep seeded.

The best advice.... your own advice....Meditate on it

rohit

I never suggested that you be silent or just sit and stare when people ask you questions. That's not what I meant.

Anyhow, I don't know how you do it. As an introvert, the 3 (well 4, but the oldest kid is away at school) other people in my family are all I can handle, lol. Like anyone, I am happy to talk about my interests. But my beliefs are pretty personal and I hold them close. My teacher has cautioned us about inappropriately sharing Buddhist teachings with people who may not be ready to hear them. If someone asks, I answer and I'm honest. But I'm also not afraid to tell them "I appreciate you asking, and it's a good question, however I don't feel like I am the right person to explain that." If I can, I will. But sometimes, "I don't know" just is the best answer. Especially with something that has so much depth like religion that requires experiences to go hand-in-hand with logical understanding.

In any case, I think you are completely fine to say "I'm a Buddhist." There's no reason you shouldn't say so (unless you are uncomfortable) and no one is going to ask for proof or anything. For me, with Buddhism or other things, when I have been hesitant to "claim" a label it has mostly been out of insecurity on my part. Like I thought there was a right way to be a Buddhist and I wasn't sure if I got it right and other people might find out it wasn't true. I worried they would ask questions I couldn't answer and then think i was a bad Buddhist. It was all silly on my part.

Carlita
    edited February 2016

@karasti said:
    I never suggested that you be silent or just sit and stare when people ask you questions. That's not what I meant.

Anyhow, I don't know how you do it. As an introvert, the 3 (well 4, but the oldest kid is away at school) other people in my family are all I can handle, lol. Like anyone, I am happy to talk about my interests. But my beliefs are pretty personal and I hold them close. My teacher has cautioned us about inappropriately sharing Buddhist teachings with people who may not be ready to hear them. If someone asks, I answer and I'm honest. But I'm also not afraid to tell them "I appreciate you asking, and it's a good question, however I don't feel like I am the right person to explain that." If I can, I will. But sometimes, "I don't know" just is the best answer. Especially with something that has so much depth like religion that requires experiences to go hand-in-hand with logical understanding.

In any case, I think you are completely fine to say "I'm a Buddhist." There's no reason you shouldn't say so (unless you are uncomfortable) and no one is going to ask for proof or anything. For me, with Buddhism or other things, when I have been hesitant to "claim" a label it has mostly been out of insecurity on my part. Like I thought there was a right way to be a Buddhist and I wasn't sure if I got it right and other people might find out it wasn't true. I worried they would ask questions I couldn't answer and then think i was a bad Buddhist. It was all silly on my part.

Thank you. My family are extraverts; so, I kinda get that from them. I tried to be an introvert and keep my devotion private and so forth. Im learning more about my true nature that that just isnt me. I usually go outside and do my thing.

I try to keep it short with my co-worker. I sent her a quote on Instragram she introduced me to and a couple of god related videos. Come to figure out she researched the person who I quoted and said he was a spiritualist of some sort; and, I insulted her. The quote just said I rather spend time with god (silent before sermon) before hearing any man preach. She snapped at me.

So, I keep my beliefs to myself. Which is hard because that is who I am... all my beliefs. I cant separate that part of me and keep it to myself like one does with sexual preferences (first example that poped in my mind, lol). But Im sure you kinda understand where I come from.

Anyway. I appreciate your words. Many people are introverted. I thought I was too and I mixed that up with depression. Can you imagine an extraverted person depressed! Border-line bipolar.

lol.

Thanks. :)

• Many MANY decades ago I used to watch a TV show called My Favorite Martian. The gist of it is that a guy harbors a Martian but tells people it's his "Uncle."

Stay with me here, I am going to make an actual point.

I can't remember any of the episodes, it was light hearted sit-com fluff. But one scene has stayed with me. The main character somehow finds himself connected to a lie detector machine, and being asked about his uncle. Of course, he dug himself several comedic holes. Later, he was advised that he should have just told the truth. No one would have believed it, too absurd, but the machine would have indicated no dishonesty. "Always tell the truth,Tim. It's the best little lie."

Tell those intense, inquisitive interlocutors, very sweetly, "I'm a Pagan." Wait for the confused pause, while they're trying to decide if they're shocked or they think you might be kidding, then add "Oh, and a Buddhist!" Then smile and nod.

Cinorjer
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@Carlita said:

This is not to put down SGI. I chant with them; and, some members are my friends.

When you become an SGI member, you dont take the vows of the three jews. I assume only Nichiren Shu does this. As a result, when someone ask my religion (though I practice paganism) I am hesitant to tell them I am a Buddhist because I practice and hold a lot of Theraada and Mahayana Buddhist morals and some practices. Yet, SGI doesnt have any of this.

Would it be appropriate to say "I am a Buddhist?" I dont like lying to people and saying I am a pagan (which I assocate with practice not defined by beliefs) or would I say "I practice Buddhist morals" or maybe I'm a Boddhisattva?

I talk with a lot of religious people who are very some see a lot of stereotypes in ther religions: all Buddhists are Asian. All Catolics are white and hispanic. All baptist are african american. All UU are white.

Seriously. This is true.

I just want to know if its appropriate given that is the only Buddhist Sangha that I can practice and cmmune with our a more frequent basis because of distance.

Thanks.

Do you take refuge in the 3 jewels and recite refuge prayers daily ? if so you qualify as a Buddhist...this is the most basic qualification, if you are lacking this then the organisation you are with could not be described as Buddhist. Refuge is the gateway to all forms of Buddhism.

Carlita
    edited February 2016

@caz said:

@Carlita said:

Seriously. This is true.

Thanks.

Do you take refuge in the 3 jewels and recite refuge prayers daily ? if so you qualify as a Buddhist...this is the most basic qualification, if you are lacking this then the organisation you are with could not be described as Buddhist. Refuge is the gateway to all forms of Buddhism.

I was reading on a Buddhist monastary site which I will visit the monastary in the spring where each full and new moon they take the precepts. In Nichiren Buddhism, the only sect I know does this is Nichiren Shu. SGI, dont mean to insult, would be the farthest from buddbism that Im accustomed to from Western Zen to traditional Theravada. In other words, no Three Jewels.

Instead, wr refer ourselves as Bodhisattvas of the Earth. I try to live that but without the fornal vows, thats like stealing and using something that wasnt properly given to you.

SGI does have partial ceremony that came from Nichiren Sboshu. Shoshu has the priesthood but even they dont take the jewels as I was at the Opening of the Eyes ceremony.

Nichiren himself says that all the Buddha's teachings are summed up in the Sacred Law of Cause and Effect. He tells practitioners not to practice any other form of Buddhism.

I cant say SGI (and myself) are Not Buddhist but according to my experience and what I know, formally they are not.

Im not completely insync with them so the purpose of the question.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Wait a second ? is there any form of refuge prayer you do to the 3 jewels or take any commitments of refuge at all ? if not then I would suggest you swiftly abandon the group you are with now as it would not qualify as a correct path let alone a Buddhist path.

All qualified Buddhism begins with refuge in the 3 jewels, I have no clue about the organisation other than what you tell me by your experience of it.

@caz said:
    Wait a second ? is there any form of refuge prayer you do to the 3 jewels or take any commitments of refuge at all ? if not then I would suggest you swiftly abandon the group you are with now as it would not qualify as a correct path let alone a Buddhist path.

All qualified Buddhism begins with refuge in the 3 jewels, I have no clue about the organisation other than what you tell me by your experience of it.

The only one I know in the school that takes the Jewels is Shu. I think its the organization. Its tied into a lot of political drama. I dont practice with them as much anymore. Knowing what I do, I wouldnt consider myself a formal Buddhist culturally. I dont know how other SGI members see it from taking the jewels perspective. None of them talk to me about early Buddhism only Ikeda and Nichiren Shonin.

/shrugs/

• @caz said:

SGI is not my particular cup of tea, but nothing they teach goes against the teachings of Buddha. Don't you think judging it to not be a correct path is a little harsh? Especially to advise anyone to abandon the practice?

lobsterCarlita
  • @caz said:

All qualified Buddhism begins with refuge in the 3 jewels ...

Buddha, Dharma and Sangha help us ... Iz I unqualified Buddhist?
    Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

@lobster said:

@caz said:

All qualified Buddhism begins with refuge in the 3 jewels ...

Buddha, Dharma and Sangha help us ... Iz I unqualified Buddhist?
    Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Depends. That phrase means I devote myself to the sacred Dharma of causality. Nichiren Shonin taught all the teachings of The Buddha outside the Lotus Sutra are summarized within the Lotus (Cause ans affect/life and death/etc). So to chant and believe in Daimoku (Nam..) is to practice all The Buddha's Sutras.

The three jewels are there technically; but, they are not taken at all formally in Shoshshu and SGI.

Does taking the Jewels depend on cultural initiation to make one a "real" Buddhist or can one do it without needing to say the words but put it into practice?

Is it based on formality (which SGI doesnt have) or action (which SGI does have)?

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2016

See, here's the question I want to ask when the subject of what is and isn't the correct practice comes up. But I don't want people to think I'm dissing anyone.

In temples today in Myanmar, the 3 Jewels and Tripitaka and refuge are taught. Their lineage and practice go back a thousand years. Yet today they also teach that it's okay to burn down the house of innocent Muslims and destroy their shops and even kill them in the name of Buddha.

SGI for all its strange elevation of the Lotus Sutra to a place of worship while ignoring the traditional forms of practice is dedicated to world peace and tolerance.

Who is teaching the correct Dharma? Which is the true Buddha?

Tara1978person
  • Off course I’m new, I have no experience and I have read so much less than any of you, but I cannot help asking the following:
    -how can any ritual make you (or not) a Buddhist? Surely being a Buddhist depends only on studying Buddha’s teachings and living accordingly?

rohitCinorjerlobsterVastmind

@Cinorjer said:
    See, here's the question I want to ask when the subject of what is and isn't the correct practice comes up. But I don't want people to think I'm dissing anyone.

In temples today in Myanmar, the 3 Jewels and Tripitaka and refuge are taught. Their lineage and practice go back a thousand years. Yet today they also teach that it's okay to burn down the house of innocent Muslims and destroy their shops and even kill them in the name of Buddha.

SGI for all its strange elevation of the Lotus Sutra to a place of worship while ignoring the traditional forms of practice is dedicated to world peace and tolerance.

Who is teaching the correct Dharma? Which is the true Buddha?

To tell you honestly, all other schools who Not only Follow The Buddha by his teaching but his lineage and school lineages too. I am more geared to Mahayana but both vihicles of thought depending on the angle doesnt seem contradictory.

As for SGI, I dont want to belittle but I feel they are holding on to a title Buddhist/Buddhism they dont practice. Nichiren Shu is the only only who I know does. I guess "word peace" could be another way of relieaving suffering but I dont hear it coming from The Buddha's teachings but Ikeda.

I understand and agree the Dharma (all) should be elevated rather than just The Buddha. I dont find a need to dismiss The Buddha as SGI and its members directly tell me they do.

edited February 2016

@littlestudent said:
    Off course I’m new, I have no experience and I have read so much less than any of you, but I cannot help asking the following:
    -how can any ritual make you (or not) a Buddhist? Surely being a Buddhist depends only on studying Buddha’s teachings and living accordingly?

Its a cultural faith as well as following right actions. For example, I wouldnt be considered following thr Buddhist teachings if I felt a person should die order for others to live. Yet, that teaches many people right thought...while The Buddha never taught to take a life willingfully at the expense of millions without actually being their to help rather than spiritualy.

Ritual or taking the vows is a personal event rather than isolated ritual. You telling the Sangha, yourself, and The Buddha This is the Path or Way I want to follow. Basically, you are turning your old morals and following The Buddha's. They help a lot. Each year Buddhist retake their vows.

In other words, I feel ritual is important. Its personal and ties one to lineage. It confirms the Path one will (not just wishes) to follow. I dont see that in SGI but The Buddha didnt say you must follow my culture to be enlightened.

So its a toss up.