Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you just accept your current state of mind, or do you try to change it?

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2016

I would love to live in Phuket. It seems like such a nice, laid-back place to reside in... In my mind, I already live there....

(ETA: Yes, I'm aware the 'H' is silent... but as I said, in my mind....it isn't.....)

Kundolobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

These days I put effort into changing it positively.

When I was a teen I had it the other way around. I didn't think I deserved happiness and felt a need to play the role others have come to expect. If I was in a good mood I would often chastise myself for it as I was supposed to be depressed about life.

• @SpinyNorman Indeed!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

The OP in this DhammaWheel thread is relevant and interesting:
    http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26684&sid=ea0d77af3b37ad2c5716f5717e8c705d

• Or just see things through. Neither accepting nor not accepting. Neither wanting change nor wanting it to remain the same. In my eyes it is not acceptance at this point. Do you see?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@namarupa said:> Or just see things through. Neither accepting nor not accepting. Neither wanting change nor wanting it to remain the same. In my eyes it is not acceptance at this point. Do you see?

Not really. What you're describing sounds like acceptance of the present.

• Yes but "seeing" should not always incur acceptance should it?

lobster
  • ECSECS Malaysia Explorer

In my current mind perhaps for human Buddhism is a natural process of realization of own existence .... so is the natural process of realizing we are emotion , we are love/hate/greed/desire etc ....mind is emotion , so we are the mind and Buddhism is simply a natural process realizing we are the mind........so the mind is constantly travelling naturally into nothingness and this natural process in my current mind is Buddhism .........so in my current mind , if one choose to hold the mind or change the mind ... the mind will increase and as the mind increases , one will travel longer journey and suffering is the nature of this path ........

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

I notice @ECS has been excommunicated. Hardly surprising. Completely gone off the deep end. Hopefully he will return when less confused and bedazzled ...

@namarupa said:
    Yes but "seeing" should not always incur acceptance should it?

Exactly so. Temporary insanity, zen sickness, dharma overload, euphoria is one thing [my pre-breakfast ritual incidentally] :3 but settled equanimity has to be worked at and sustained ...

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2016

I think I accept my current state of mind because it is subject to change. I know that something had to cause it even if it's a past state.

I think if we understand our negative mind sets they will change on their own as if the negativity is caused by misunderstanding and/or even shunning the mind set.

Vastmind
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I've noticed some different approaches on this. Some say that one should just recognise and accept whatever states of mind arise, and let them be, a passive approach. Others say that one should then apply Right Effort as appropriate, consciously "replacing" unskillfull states with more skillfull ones.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vayamo/

Note that an initial recognition and acceptance of one's state of mind is common to both approaches. Note also that we are dealing here primarily with practice off the cushion, so let's not get bogged down in another discussion about meditation technique.

I favour the Right Effort approach, particularly when dealing with habitual or persistent states like anxiety. Just accepting a particular state of mind and doing nothing doesn't always work for me.

So what do you think?

-On a good day I'm monitoring my state of mind continuously. If I notice a change, I determine the cause. Oftentimes, the act of doing so is helpful in moderating my mindset...

lobstersilverRuddyDuck9
  • @seeker242 said:
    Both :)

Neither.

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited July 2016

@lobster said:
    I notice @ECS has been excommunicated. Hardly surprising. Completely gone off the deep end. Hopefully he will return when less confused and bedazzled ...

@namarupa said:
    Yes but "seeing" should not always incur acceptance should it?

Exactly so. Temporary insanity, zen sickness, dharma overload, euphoria is one thing [my pre-breakfast ritual incidentally] :3 but settled equanimity has to be worked at and sustained ...

There is no smile to click. Only quote, insightful, awesome, and LOL. So...
    :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

:) there IS a smile to click....