Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taking Refuge

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I take it that most members here are familiar with The Three Jewels

What benefits are there in taking them?

On my personal journey I've found...

An awaken mind leads one to deeply explore the true nature of things which helps one to overcome life's trials & tribulations ie, Dukkha and to seek the company of like minded people

What have you found ?

BuddhadragonHozanVastmind

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Peace.

When things are a bit hectic I reflect on the Three Jewels and usually feel an instant calming effect.

BuddhadragonHozanShoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Taking refuge at the beginning of the day, sets the general tone of the day for me, and provides a sort of intention to stick by.
    In moments when I feel prone to react unskilfully, it grounds me back to responding.
    Not much success here lately, but it's a work in progress...

HozanVastmindShoshinKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

The more I take them, the more I realise I'm a pretty crappy Buddhist, if indeed I am one at all.

BuddhadragonShoshinlobsterHozan
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

the benefits?personally,tears.tears of gratitude,tears of joy,tears of compassion.the other benefit,learn and grow into a decent human being.or i try to.a work in progress,echoing the sentiment.

Shoshinlobster
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

what i have discovered?i make mistakes.learn and do better all the while try to take it easy,and sometimes laugh at self.

BuddhadragonHozan
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Taking refuge in the Buddha for me means reaffirming my faith in the fact of the Buddha's enlightenment, and that we can trust in his guidance. Taking refuge in the Dharma means reasserting my belief in the correctness of the path and the lore. Taking refuge in the Sangha means re-establishing my relationship with fellow travellers on the path, so that i can learn from them and they can learn from me.

I found out yesterday that Tibetans often add a fourth line about taking refuge in the teacher, because often the teacher informs your understanding more than any book. But I've never yet formally taken refuge, so it feels kind of private, a personal thing which you make your own.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    The more I take them, the more I realise I'm a pretty crappy Buddhist, if indeed I am one at all.

We have to be a Buddhist to take refuge? Aye caramba! There are indeed many things to take refuge in. The sun, our families, our friends, the efforts and understanding of good willed people in other heresies religions. Science. Cod, god or Thor. Atheism. Diet. Exercise ... more?

I take refuge in my breath
    My parents
    My legs
    My pet dog (not that I have one)

Good Buddhist? Not even close for this crustacean ... :3

Well said @dhammachick

I take refuge in the Bud-Doh!
    I take refuge in the dumber dharma :3
    I take refuge in crappy Buddhists (Sanghri La La land)

... I hope there is hope for fifty shades of Buddhist ... ;)

BuddhadragonHozan
  • I take refuge in all of you for the sake of me as I exist now...

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@dhammachick said:

You make a good point @dhammachick ...we have many years of conditioning to dismantle...

However, persistence pays off ....no matter how little to begin with

BuddhadragonHozan