Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mother's Day

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Happy Mother's Day to all who may be celebrating it today.

An idle thought that passed through this dad's mind this morning: Men are capable of mouth, but it is women who've got the grit.

True or not, it just wandered through my mind. :)

JasonpaulysoVastmindKundo

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2018

I have an excellent relationship with my mother, who is a small, feisty but loving lady with long and very curly grey-blonde hair who enjoys nothing better than being visited by family with kids. I’m very grateful that she is still around and in good health (well, barring a few minor ailments). Unfortunately we live in separate countries, so the best I can do for Mother’s Day is a digital card and a video call.

But here’s to all the mothers in the world :)

Bunkspaulyso
  • TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

I share all your sentiments. Happy Mother's Day all you Mom's out there.

Bunkspaulyso
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2018

Not every country celebrates Mother's day today. Here's a run-down of the different dates around the world.
    The UK celebrates Mother's day on the 4th Sunday in Lent, and in fact, originally had nothing to do with Mothers at all. Which is why it's actually officially called Mothering Sunday.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

One of the unique aspects of Tibetan culture is that for hundreds of years, thousands of people have been meditating on the thought “every single being has been my mother.” This means that through countless lives, you have been every possible animal and being, and every single being alive today has been your mother countless times. Even the worst killers shared their body and milk and took care of you. Professor Thurman explains how this thought helps you feel your own infinity as a being, and also creates an altruistic society.

https://bobthurman.com/all-beings-are-my-mother-ep-28/

BunksJason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2018

It's also a practice familiar in Theravada, stemming from the Mata Sutta:

At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find... A being who has not been your father... your brother... your sister... your son... your daughter at one time in the past is not easy to find.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."

The thought of every being at one time being your mother and vice versa is a powerful way of developing loving-kindness for all living beings, no matter how flawed.

BunksKundoShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Mummy! <3