Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“And my effort is to show that to make man according to an ideal is to make him phony. Man has to grow without any ideal, without any discipline. His only religion should be awareness, and wherever that awareness leads him he should go without fear, whatever the consequences. That's the way I have lived, and I have no regret.”
    — Osho, ‘The Path of the Mystic’

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“U.G. soon was known as a brilliant speaker, and he became a follower of the older Jiddhu Krishnamurti (no relation), who had rejected the spiritual organisation he was chosen to lead, declaring that “truth is a pathless land.” However, U.G. was critical of how J. Krishnamurti said this, yet still presented a path by sitting in a special chair giving long philosophical lectures. After 17 years of following J Krishnamurti, he said he realised that “I was in the state he was talking about,” and walked out of the tent where the teaching was happening, whereup an “explosion” of life took place in his system as he stopped believing himself second to anyone. He later called it his “calamity” because the usual mind, the limiting structure of thought, disintegrated in him. He just walked away from the social dynamic that confined him as a seeker. He literally walked out of the tent.”
    — anonymous (speaking about U.G. Krishnamurti)

“We are not created for any grander purpose than the ants that are there or the flies that are hovering around us or the mosquitoes that are sucking our blood.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti, No Way Out

“Only if you reject all the other paths can you discover your own path.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti, Mind is a Myth

FleaMarketlobster

“I discovered for myself and by myself that there is no self to realize -- that's the realization I am talking about. It comes as a shattering blow. It hits you like a thunderbolt. You have invested everything in one basket, self-realization, and, in the end, suddenly you discover that there is no self to discover, no self to realize -- and you say to yourself "What the hell have I been doing all my life?!" That blasts you.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

FleaMarketlobster

“'Each individual is unique, unparalleled; there is not another one like you in the whole universe. That is your natural state.' But we ignore that fact and try to put everybody in a common mould and create what we call the greatest common factor. Our education, religion and culture are geared towards producing copies of acceptable models, and, in the process, destroying that unique, living quality in a child, in every human being, which is yearning to blossom and express itself. Otherwise, there would be more human flowers. But, given its nature, society cannot be interested in such human flowers. At best, it can put them on a pedestal, domesticate them and make them a part of its structure.”
    — U.G. Krishnamurti

“It is the object that creates the subject and not the subject that creates the object. This is a simple physiological phenomenon which can be tested. For example, if there is no object there, there is no subject here. What creates the subject is the object. There is light. If the light is not there you have no way of looking at anything. The light falls on that object, and the reflection of that light activates the optic nerves, which in turn activate the memory cells. When the memory cells are activated, all the knowledge you have about that object comes into operation. It is that process which is happening there that has created the subject. And the subject is the knowledge you have about it. The word "microphone" is the eye. There is nothing there other than the word microphone. When you reduce it to that you feel the absurdity of talking about the self -- the lower self, the higher self and self knowing, self-knowledge, knowing from moment to moment is absolute rubbish, balderdash!”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

“The natural needs of a human being are basic: food, clothing and shelter. You must either work for them or be given them by somebody. If these are your only needs, they are not very difficult to fulfill. To deny yourself the basic needs is not a sign of spirituality; but to require more than food, clothing and shelter is a neurotic state of mind.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

“Is not sex a basic human requirement? Sex is dependent upon thought; the body itself has no sex. Only the genitals and perhaps the hormone balances differ between male and female. It is thought that says "I am a man, and that is a woman, an attractive woman." It is thought that translates sex feelings in the body and says "These are sexual feelings."”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

“It is thought that provides the build-up without which no sex is possible: "It would be more pleasurable to hold that woman's hand than just to look at her. It would be more pleasurable to kiss her than just to embrace her," and so on. In the natural state there is no build-up of thought. Without that build-up, sex is impossible. And sex is tremendously violent to the body. The body normally is a very peaceful organism, and then you subject it to this tremendous tension and release, which feels pleasurable to you. Actually it is painful to the body.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2023

@Jeroen said:
    “Only if you reject all the other paths can you discover your own path.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti, Mind is a Myth

Tee Hee! HA! or her (if you prefer).

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/dzogchen-the-non-conceptual-path-to-liberation/

As we know Sam Sarah, Nibanna and Beginning 'Mind the step' are all as empty and full as Ever …

This is why transformation can occur and stabilise, before or after …

“Why does the feeling of emptiness occupy so much space?”
    ~ James de la Vega

“The natural state is not a 'thoughtless state' -- that is one of the greatest hoaxes perpetrated for thousands of years on poor, helpless Hindus. You will never be without thought until the body is a corpse, a very dead corpse. Being able to think is necessary to survive. But in this state thought stops choking you; it falls into its natural rhythm. There is no longer a 'you' who reads the thoughts and thinks that they are 'his'.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

lobster

“Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorising fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities — the political, the religious, the educational authorities — who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing — forming in our minds — their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.”
    — Timothy Leary

“Everything born out of thinking is extremely dangerous.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

edited May 2023

“You see, the animal becomes a flower. That seems to be the purpose -- if at all there is any purpose in Nature, I don't know. You see, there are so many flowers there -- look at them! Each flower is unique in its own way. Nature's purpose seems to be (I cannot make any definitive statement) to create flowers like that, human flowers like that.

We have only a handful of flowers, which you can count on your fingers: Ramana Maharshi in recent times, Sri Ramakrishna, some other people. Not the claimants we have in our midst today, not the gurus -- I am not talking about them. It is amazing -- that man who sat there at Tiruvannamalai -- his impact on the West is much more than all these gurus put together -- very strange, you understand? He has had a tremendous impact on the totality of human consciousness -- that man living in one corner, you understand?

I visited an industrialist in Paris. He is not at all interested in religious matters, much less in India; he is anti-Indian. (Laughs) So, I saw his photo there -- "Why do you have this photo?" He said "I like the face. I don't know anything about him. I'm not even interested in reading his books. I like the photo, so it's there. I'm not interested in anything about him."

Maybe such an individual can (I can't say 'can') help himself and help the world. Maybe.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

FleaMarket

“Seriousness is a disease of the mind. When the mind is no longer there, seriousness has no ground to stand upon.”
    — Osho

“You say you love your wife. You depend on her; she has given you her body, her emotions, her encouragement, a certain feeling of security and well-being. Then she turns away from you; she gets bored or goes off with someone else, and your whole emotional balance is destroyed, and this disturbance, which you don’t like, is called jealousy. There is pain in it, anxiety, hate and violence. So what you are really saying is, ‘As long as you belong to me I love you but the moment you don’t I begin to hate you.”
    ― Jiddu Krishnamurti, Freedom from the Known

“Courage is to brush aside everything that man has experienced and felt before you. You are the only one, greater than all those things. Everything is finished, the whole tradition is finished, however sacred and holy it may be -- then only can you be yourself -- that is individuality. For the first time you become an individual. As long as you depend upon somebody, some authority, you are not an individual.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

“Man is always seeking something -- money, power, sex, love, mystical experience, truth, enlightenment -- and it is this seeking which keeps him out of his natural state.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

“If you are a soldier and if you have a heart, you cannot kill the enemy, because the moment you take up your gun to kill someone, your heart will say, "Just as you have a wife waiting for you -- your children, your old mother and father -- this poor man's wife must be waiting also. His children, his old mother and father, are waiting for him to return home. He has not done anything to you, and you are going to kill him. For what? -- to get an award from the military academy? To get a promotion?"
    The heart will be a disturbance. It is better to make soldiers forget their hearts so they can simply go on killing like robots, without any feelings.”

“Man is angry about many things. In life, he is in a struggle. He does not always succeed, everybody cannot succeed -- he is angry. He comes and throws his anger over his wife, his children, and these are the people he believes he loves.
    Even religious leaders don't want your heart to open to reality, because it will bring a great transformation in your actions, in your thoughts, and they don't want that. They want you to be bound to the tradition, to the old. Whether it is right or wrong does not matter; it has respectability because it is ancient.
    The heart knows nothing of the past, nothing of the future; it knows only of the present. The heart has no time concept. It sees things clearly, and love is its natural quality -- no training is needed. And this love has no hate as a counterpart.”

• "Years ago, anthropologist Margaret Mead was asked by a student what she considered to be the first sign of civilization in a culture. The student expected Mead to talk about fishhooks or clay pots or grinding stones.
    But no. Mead said that the first sign of civilization in an ancient culture was a femur (thighbone) that had been broken and then healed. Mead explained that in the animal kingdom, if you break your leg, you die. You cannot run from danger, get to the river for a drink or hunt for food. You are meat for prowling beasts. No animal survives a broken leg long enough for the bone to heal.
    A broken femur that has healed is evidence that someone has taken time to stay with the one who fell, has bound up the wound, has carried the person to safety and has tended the person through recovery. Helping someone else through difficulty is where civilization starts, Mead said."
    We are at our best when we serve others. Be civilized.

lobsterBunks
    edited June 2023

“Truth is greater than all the parts joined together. It is not just the sum of the parts, it is greater than the parts. A melody is not just the sum of all the notes, of all the sounds. … I am speaking to you: you can dissect my words, they will all be found in a dictionary, but you won’t find me in a dictionary.”
    —Osho, ‘The Mustard Seed’

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

/ Thomas Merton /

"People may spend their whole lives climbing the ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall."

lobsterBunks

“Live the moment, forget the future and money loses all its glamour.”
    — Osho

“How can you love anybody else if you can’t love yourself?”
    — Osho

“Let go your attachment to the unreal and the real will swiftly and smoothly step into its own. Stop imagining yourself being or doing this or that and the realization that you are the source and heart of all will dawn upon you. With this will come great love which is not choice or predilection, nor attachment, but a power which makes all things love-worthy and lovable.”
    — Nisargadatta Maharaj

“When you trust, your unconscious starts revealing many things to you. It reveals itself only to the trusting mind, only to the trusting being, only to the trusting consciousness. Religion is the fragrance of this trust, impeccable, absolute. Atheism is an act of weakness, of impotency. It is decadent. A society becomes atheist only when it is dying, when it has lost vigor and youth. When a society is young, alive, vigorous, it hankers for the unknown, it longs for the danger. It tries to live dangerously because that is the only way to live.”
    — Osho

“If you can find a man who can explain his life end to end, logically, you can be certain that he may be a computer, a machine, but he is not alive. Only dead things can be explained end to end. Life IS a mystery, so whenever one is alive one is mysterious.”
    — Osho

Bunks

Q: So all my questions, my search and study are of no use?
    M: These are but the stirrings of a man who is tired of sleeping. They are not the causes of awakening, but its early signs. But, you must not ask idle questions, to which you already know the answers.
    Q: How am I to get a true answer?
    M: By asking a true question — non-verbally, but by daring to live according to your lights. A man willing to die for truth will get it.

Q: Will not right conduct be enough to secure salvation?
    A: Salvation for whom? Who wants salvation? And what is right conduct? What is conduct? And what is right? Who is to judge what is right and what is wrong? According to previous samskaras, each one regards something or other as right. Only when the reality is known can the truth about right and wrong be known. The best course is to find out who wants this salvation. Tracing this `who' or ego to its original source is the right conduct for everyone.

(Question asked to Ramana Maharshi)

Bunks
  • "No one and no thing can free you but your own understanding'
    ~Ajahn Chan~

Bunkslobster

“I am speaking for many people of many types.
    You have to find out what is right for you. If you start doing everything that I am saying, you will get in a mess.
    You simply do that which your heart supports.
    And the heart is never wrong, remember. The mind can be right, can be wrong. The heart is always right, there is no question of its being wrong.
    If you are feeling silence, peace, a beautiful energy through spontaneity, through relaxation, through let-go, then that is your way.”
    — Osho

“Nature is busy creating absolutely unique individuals, whereas culture has invented a single mold to which all must conform. It is grotesque. ”
    ― U. G. Krishnamurti

“I am not out to liberate anybody. You have to liberate yourself, and you are unable to do that. What I have to say will not do it. I am only interested in describing this state, in clearing away the occultation and mystification in which those people in the 'holy business' have shrouded the whole thing. Maybe I can convince you not to waste a lot of time and energy, looking for a state which does not exist except in your imagination.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

“What you know can never be the beyond. Whatever you experience is not the beyond. If there is any beyond, this movement of 'you' is absent. The absence of this movement probably is the beyond, but the beyond can never be experienced by you; it is when the 'you' is not there. Why are you trying to experience a thing that cannot be experienced?”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

“As long as you are not at peace with yourself, it is not possible for you to be at peace with others.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

Bunks

“Nature is interested in only two things—to survive and to reproduce one like itself. Anything you superimpose on that, all the cultural input, is responsible for the boredom of man. So we have varieties of religious experience. You are not satisfied with your own religious teachings or games; so you bring in others from India, Asia or China. They become interesting because they are something new. You pick up a new language and try to speak it and use it to feel more important. But basically, it is the same thing.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

“Nature’s laws know no reward, only punishment. The reward is only that you are in harmony with nature.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

“God or Enlightenment is the ultimate pleasure, uninterrupted happiness. No such thing exists. Your wanting something that does not exist is the root of your problem. Transformation, moksha, and all that stuff are just variations of the same theme: permanent happiness. The body can't take uninterrupted pleasure for long; it would be destroyed. Wanting a fictitious permanent state of happiness is actually a serious neurological problem.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

“All your actions, whether thinking of God or beating a child, spring from the same source—thinking. The thoughts themselves cannot do any harm. It is when you attempt to use, censor, and control those thoughts to get something that your problems begin. You have no recourse but to use thought to get what you want in this world. But when you seek to get what does not exist—God, bliss, love, etc.—through thought, you only succeed in pitting one thought against another, creating misery for yourself and the world.”
    ― U.G. Krishnamurti

Bunks

“What I am trying to put across is that there is no such thing as God. It is the mind that has created God out of fear. Fear is passed on from generation to generation. What is there is fear, not God. If you are lucky enough to be free from fear, then there is no God. There is no ultimate reality, no God -- nothing. Fear itself is the problem, not "God". Wanting to be free from fear is itself fear. You see, you love fear. The ending of fear is death, and you don't want THAT to happen.”
    — U.G. Krishnamurti

“You are blind. You see nothing. When you actually do see and perceive for the first time that there is no self to realize, no psyche to purify, no soul to liberate, it will come as a tremendous shock to that instrument. You have invested everything in that--the soul, mind, psyche, whatever you wish to call it--and suddenly it is exploded as a myth. It is difficult for you to look at reality, at your actual situation. One look does the trick; you are finished.”
    — U.G. Krishnamurti

lobster

“Every seven years there comes a change. Just as fourteen is the time when you become ripe for sexual experience, able to produce children, at the age of forty-two you start a new phase of your life. At fourteen you were entering into the world of living. At forty-two you are entering into the world of death. Just as at fourteen life needed reproduction, at forty-two life needs not sexuality but meditation.
    And if you have lived your sex, you have had enough time to see that it is a child’s game. There is no question of repressing it, it simply drops of its own accord, the way it came on its own accord. You did not produce it; it was not your creation at the age of fourteen. In the same way as the breeze came at the age of fourteen, the breeze passes you by at the age of forty-two. That is the time when something more significant, something more valuable, has to be experienced. You have loved, you have seen the reality of the world, experienced all kinds of relationships – now is the time to know yourself, to be yourself, because death will be coming soon. Before death you have to be ready to meet it.”
    — Osho, ‘The Sword and the Lotus’

“In my childhood I had a beautiful river by my village. And my tailor was in great difficulty, because I had to force him to make as many pockets on my dress as possible. He said, ”But you go on telling everyone that I am your tailor, and if they see all these pockets they will think I have gone mad. So if you promise me that you will say that the tailor across the street is your tailor, I am ready. But don’t mention my name to anybody.” He said, ”And for what do you need so many pockets?”
    I said, ”You will not understand. You can ask my father.”
    The need was that around the river there were such beautiful colored stones, so shining in the sun, that I would collect them and fill all my pockets. I would come home, and my mother would be very angry: ”You spoil your dress. You make a mockery of all of us having so many pockets. Nobody has ever heard... your dress is just pockets and pockets. And then you come with all kinds of useless stones. What is the purpose of these stones?”
    I said, ”I have never thought about the purpose – I love them.” And that was enough.
    I love life, but there is no purpose.
    I love people, but there is no purpose.”
    — Osho

Bunks

“The West went to the other extreme - they devoted their whole energy to material advancement, forgetting completely that material advancement in itself is meaningless. It leads you nowhere; it leads you only into deep frustration, finally, into a meaningless life where you can see clearly that you wasted your whole life collecting rubbish, junk. And it does not give you peace, it does not give you silence. It has not been able to make you aware of truth. And now death is approaching and your hands are empty. Your whole life has been just a desert.”
    — Osho

“You know, I've been everywhere in the world, and have found that people are exactly the same. There is no difference at all. Becoming is the most important thing in the world for everybody -- to become something. They all want to become rich, whether materially or spiritually, it is exactly the same. Don't divide it; the so-called spiritual is the materialistic. You may think you are superior because you go to temple and do puja, but the woman there is doing puja in the hope of having a child. She wants something, so she goes to the temple. So do you; it is exactly the same. For sentimental reasons you go, but in time it will become routine and become abhorrent to you.

What I am trying to point out is simply this: your spiritual and religious activities are basically selfish. That is all I am pointing out. You go to the temple for the same reason you go other places -- you want some result. If you don't want anything there is no reason to go to the temple.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

“There are no questions for me, other than the practical questions for everyday functioning in this world. You, however, have many, many questions. These questions all have the same source: your knowledge. It is simply not in the nature of things that you can have a question without knowing the answer already. So meaningful dialogue is simply not possible when you are asking questions to yourself and to me, because you have already made up your mind, you already possess the answers. So communication between us is impossible; what is the point of carrying on any dialogue?

There is the actual need to be free from answers themselves. The search is invalid because it is based upon questions which in turn are based upon false knowledge. Your knowledge has not freed you from your problems. Your dilemma is that you are searching for answers to questions you already know the answer to. This is making you neurotic. If the questions you have were actually solvable, it, the question, would blow itself up. Because all questions are merely variations on the same question, the annihilation of one means the annihilation of all. So freedom exists not in finding answers, but in the dissolution of all questions.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti

Q: Is that so because of the inevitability of violence?

U.G.: Because the inevitability of war is in you. The military wars out there are the extension of what is going on all the time inside you. Why is there a war waging inside you? Because you search for peace. The instrument you are using in your attempt to be at peace with yourself is war.

There is already peace in man. You need not search. The living organism is functioning in an extraordinarily peaceful way. Man's search for truth is born out of this same search for peace. He only ends up disturbing and violating the peace that is already there in the body. So what we are left with is the war within man, and the war without. It's an extension of the same thing.

Our search in this world for peace, being based upon warfare, will lead only to war, towards man's damnation.

“Man's insistence that thought must be continuous denies the nature of thought, which is short-lived. Thought has created for itself a separate destiny. It has been very successful in creating for itself a separate parallel existence. By positing the unknown, the Beyond, the immortal, it has created for itself a way to continue on.”
    — U. G. Krishnamurti