Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

Comments

• @person said:
    "If discomfort and danger be always at hand, why adventure? Something in mankind leads folks to such foolishness, and the rest of us benefit by the riches and knowledge and dreams they bring us. Why else tolerate such dangerous idiots?" ~ Ed Greenwood Spellfire

I'm a fan of the Forgotten Realms setting!

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“When in doubt, double the dose.”
    — Timothy Leary

FleaMarketKotishka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“I had been taking LSD for six months and was all gung-ho. So at this party a friend of mine told me, I have something you might want to try. Great, great, I replied, what is it, what do you do. I was all confident I knew what was going on. Life magazine kept me informed of these things. Well he produced this glass pipe of DMT. I took a huge hit, and it was without doubt the greatest compressed learning experience I ever hope to go through. It lasted all of twenty seconds, and I ceased being a Marxist, ceased being a scientist. I couldn’t believe it, it changed the way I looked at the world.”
    — Terence McKenna

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

We cannot empty the mind by thinking. Only by observation. ~Robert Adams

• "There's two common ways to wake up. One of them is to fail, but an even more dramatic way is to succeed. Because then you realize then you've got what you wanted and it's empty. That it's all been external."
    - Gabor Maté

JeroenShoshin1
    edited November 2022

“One day I discovered that everything in my life — my career, my relationships, my possessions, everything — was the result of my thinking.”
    — Benjamin Zander

“Our real addictions are to status, property, wealth and power over others. If you’ve got those under control then the relationship with opiates becomes a minor matter.”
    — Terence McKenna

“We create huge business empires out of drugs that keep people working and under control, like caffeine, alcohol and sugar, and demonise those drugs that dissolve boundaries and ego structures, like the psychedelics.”
    — Terence McKenna

• "Sink the boat
    It's full of water
    No one left to sink it"
    - Some wet sob

“The real test of having done one’s inner work is to be able to write a novel. To have dissolved one’s inner boundaries, and prove that the human experience is open to you, priest and prostitute, to be able to put yourself in anyone’s shoes.”
    — Terence McKenna

• "As I have no Mind at least both of us are delusions."

Lobster to God.

Shoshin1
  • "That which knows, which is in all beings...'The Knower', is never an object of its own knowledge"

~Shankara~

• If you see the illusion you are enlightened,
    but if you think that you are enlightened
    you are in the illusion!
    ~Papaji

Shoshin1
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

"No matter how aware or enlightened we are, we will never comprehend the struggles and oppression faced by others"

-- Wagma Mayar

lobster

“He who joyfully marches to music rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.”
    ― Albert Einstein

lobster

“Although I am a typical loner in my daily life, my awareness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has prevented me from feelings of isolation.”
    ― Albert Einstein

KotishkaFleaMarketlobster

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Shoshin1

“My pacifism is an instinctive feeling, a feeling that possesses me because the murder of men is disgusting. My attitude is not derived from any intellectual theory but is based on my deepest antipathy to every kind of cruelty and hatred.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Jeffrey
  • "Here sleeps in peace a Hampshire Grenadier,
    Who caught his death by drinking cold small Beer,
    Soldiers be wise from his untimely fall
    And when ye're hot drink Strong or none at all.
    An Honest Soldier never is forgot
    Whether he die by Musket or by Pot."
    - Thetcher's tombstone

“The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them”
    ― Thomas Merton

Littleleaflobster

“Television is a very insidious drug, a drug you can program. In the average American’s evening of tv viewing you find 350 incidences of violence, including dismemberment and decapitation. I mean, in a media-free world if you lived your life hunting down people and chopping their heads off you wouldn’t see that much violence.”
    — Terence McKenna

Littleleaf

“If you can find a master, don’t miss the opportunity — surrender, relax into his being, imbibe his awareness, let his fragrance surround you. And the day is not far away when you will also be awakened, you will also be a buddha. Keep on reminding yourself that unless you are a buddha, your life is a wastage. Only by being a buddha does one’s life have grace, beauty, intelligence, significance, benediction.”
    — Osho

Littleleaf

“What we think about death determines how we live.”
    — Dag Hämmerskjold

Littleleaf
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited December 2022

"Assumption is the mother of all fuc screw ups"

~Eugene Lewis Fordsworthe~

Ain't that the truth...

Littleleaf

“When we turn off an element of compassion we reduce the immediacy of the present moment.”
    — Ram Dass

“When I thought of that homeless man, I realised that I had never seen him as a person. And when I looked deep inside I saw that the reason I had not was because if I allowed him to be a person, I was afraid he would end up living with me. Because the thing with compassion is, where do you draw the line? When I’m really feeling compassion, my heart says, you want my car, you want money, you want my house, here take them! But my head says, hold on a minute, you have responsibilities, you’ve got to pay your health insurance. That’s why I wasn’t allowing myself to see him as a person.”
    — Ram Dass

“The quieter you become, the more you can hear.”
    — Ram Dass

Kotishka

“All paths lead to unreality. Paths are creations within the scope of knowledge. Therefore, paths and movements cannot transport you into reality, because their function is to enmesh you within knowledge, and reality exists prior to knowledge.”
    — Nisargadatta Maharaj

“I maintain that truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others.”
    — Jiddu Krishnamurti

“Happiness is strange; it comes when you are not seeking it. When you are not making an effort to be happy, then unexpectedly, mysteriously, happiness is there, born of purity, of a loveliness of being.”
    ― Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited January 2023

"Everyday is a gift-but good luck exchanging it if you don't like it".

~Alfred E. Neuman~

There's some logic to his madness...Hmm...or is it some mad ness to his logic ;);)

“Man’s basic state is one of happiness. But the mind gives you what you want, and so if you say ‘I am suffering’, the mind gives that to you.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

Shoshin1

“A mind that is burdened with the past is a sorrowful mind.”
    — J. Krishnamurti

“Whereever there is time, there is mind.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Sometimes I sit and think, sometimes I just sit."

Winnie-the-Pooh.

"Drank ayahuasca once, I thought I understood everything. Ten times and I recognized there are things I don't understand. Hundred times and I realized most things I don't understand. Thousand times and I accepted I don't know anything."
    — A. del Rio

edited February 2023

"I can lose my hands, and still live. I can lose my legs and still live. I can lose my eyes and still live. I can lose my hair, eyebrows, nose, arms, and many other things and still live. But if I lose the air I die. If I lose the sun I die. If I lose the earth I die. If I lose the water I die. If I lose the plants and animals I die. All of these things are more a part of me, more essential to my every breath, than is my so-called body.”
    — Jack D. Forbes

Jeffrey

"The most vital issue of the age is whether the future progress of humanity is to be governed by the modern economic and materialistic mind of the West or by a nobler pragmatism guided, uplifted and enlightened by spiritual culture and knowledge ..."
    — Sri Aurobindo

"I'm going to speak my mind, so this won't take very long.

"Despite what they say graffiti is not the lowest form of art. Although you might have to creep about at night and lie to your mum it's actually one of the most honest art forms available. There is no elitism or hype, it exhibits on the best walls a town has to offer and nobody is put off by the price of admission.

"A wall has always been the best place to publish your work.

"The people who run our cities don't understand graffiti because they think nothing has the right to exist unless it makes a profit, which makes their opinion worthless.

"They say graffiti frightens people and is symbolic of the decline in society, but graffiti is only dangerous in the minds of three types of people: politicians, advertising executives and graffiti writers.

"The people who truly deface our neighbourhoods are the companies that scrawl giant slogans across buildings and buses trying to make us feel inadequate unless we buy their stuff. They expect to be able to shout their message in your face from every allowable surface but you're never allowed to answer back. Well, they started the fight and the wall is the weapon of choice to hit them back.

"Some people become cops because they want to make the world a better place. Some people become vandals because they want to make the world a better looking place."

— Banksy (British graffiti artist)

Shoshin1lobster

In all chaos there is a cosmos;
    In all disorder a secret order.

• Carl Jung
    federicalobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

How very true.

FleaMarketDavid

"There IS no spoon."

edited February 2023

“Abandon all the traditional dharmas, and you will arrive at the true dharma.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja

FleaMarketDavidlobster

“Only clinging creates unfulfilled desires.”
    — H. W. L. Poonja