Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abortion and Euthynasia- Reality Check

AngusAngus Vietnam Explorer

In this day and age when millions of people are murdered legally every day, isnt it about time that so called Buddhists stood up to be counted? I mean rather than supporting these killings because it is convenient to us should we not oppose them ? I have even heard
so called Buddhists saying that there are is absolute moralty in Buddhism, thereby opening the door to all kind of abuse. The Buddha said No Killing, it is the 1st precept and isnt it about time that western woke buddhists took notice rather than just trying to twist everything to make their lives easier.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Reality cheque in the post.
    Maybe not all Buddhists add up to your reality? Buddhas say all sorts of things...

howSteve_BDavid
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

On euthanasia, death is inevitable. If a person is suffering needlessly and will die anyway, why not send them to their rest in peace and comfort? My stepfather suffered from an obstructed bowel and would have died within two or three weeks in terrible pain without any treatment, instead he received morphine and died in a week. Seems compassion to me.

howlobsterDagobahZenDavid
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    On euthanasia, death is inevitable. If a person is suffering needlessly and will die anyway, why not send them to their rest in peace and comfort? My stepfather suffered from an obstructed bowel and would have died within two or three weeks in terrible pain without any treatment, instead he received morphine and died in a week. Seems compassion to me.

Where would you draw the line? I remember in the last thread @Angus posted on this I came across an article about the Netherlands allowing assisted suicide for a 29 year old suffering from persistent and severe mental illness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-45117163

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person said:
    Where would you draw the line? I remember in the last thread @Angus posted on this I came across an article about the Netherlands allowing assisted suicide for a 29 year old suffering from persistent and severe mental illness.

Those are pretty exceptional cases though. There is a long series of interviews you have to go through to be allowed euthanasia in the Netherlands if you’re relatively healthy, it takes years. Basically you have to convince people that your suffering is “unbearable” and that there are no prospects for its relief.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Jeroen said:

@person said:

Those are pretty exceptional cases though. There is a long series of interviews you have to go through to be allowed euthanasia in the Netherlands if you’re relatively healthy, it takes years. Basically you have to convince people that your suffering is “unbearable” and that there are no prospects for its relief.

I think there is a good case to be made for the individual in the article, there's also a good case against it, I'm just saying I think it a valid case to be made. Why I ask where you draw the line is as something like her case becomes accepted and normalized, less clear cases will start coming up and new norms may be developed to the point that we could end up in a place that might shock people's sensibilities today. That's a bit of a slippery slope worry. But having some sort of clear idea of where a line may exist helps us avoid said slope.

David

I remember hearing once the view that whatever happens to a person must be part of his karma, so if that includes a horribly painful death then it must be some karma ripening. By that leaf why would you do anything at all?

The Bodhisattva ideal is to save everyone, not to let them all suffer until their karma extinguishes itself.

David
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

My karma has improved no end, since I abandoned all Mahayana and third wheel turning Vajrayana precepts. As for Hinayana (Theravadin), I look forward to meeting them. Nowhere.

Saving all blades of grass according to some Mayan suitors... er Mahayana suttas is too wild for me...

I'll be in the beginners corner if anyone needs me :3

JeroenDagobahZen
  • @Angus said:
    In this day and age when millions of people are murdered legally every day, isnt it about time that so called Buddhists stood up to be counted? I mean rather than supporting these killings because it is convenient to us should we not oppose them ? I have even heard
    so called Buddhists saying that there are is absolute moralty in Buddhism, thereby opening the door to all kind of abuse. The Buddha said No Killing, it is the 1st precept and isnt it about time that western woke buddhists took notice rather than just trying to twist everything to make their lives easier.

The "pro-lifers" kill people for their "cause". Imagine that.