Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Yes, Fede. That's a really good idea.

Wickwoman, maybe we DO know each other. I've never been in an Ivory commercial but I could be in one of the new Dove commercials with my Buddha belly! LOL!

:lol:
  • edited January 2006
    Maybe Wickwoman and Brigid met in a former life??
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Maybe Wickwoman and Brigid met in a former life??

I have a "fey" friend who maintains that we only ever meet people we have met before. She believes that there is a limited 'cast' and that we swap roles from life to life. Pity to poor director, I say!
  • edited January 2006
    Ha ha. I think that sometimes. Sometimes I think my dog was my son in some other life and that my neice must have been my mother. It feels like same story, different day. Then sometimes I think my life is like Groundhog day. (Did you see that movie?) I just keep doing the same thing over and over again. :wtf:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Fede,
    Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Or have you cleaned up all of your own karma?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Clean up my own karma? I have a Mrs. Duster to do that!!
    And I have eight separate butlers for the eightfold path, and five little children who volunteer to abide by the first five precepts for me...
    Doesn't everyone...!?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Boy, you're going to be in samsara a loooooooooooooooong time.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    No, I have someone to do that for me too....!!

Oh boy... wouldn't that just be dreadful....?

Actually, I shouldn't say it, but the samsara I'm experiencing at present, is very nice, because the company is great....!! ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    AWWW. You talking about Nick?
    edited January 2006
    Yes... But I'm talking about everybody here too.... ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    AWWWWWWWWWWWW! Shucks.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    You know Fede, you are really good at the delusion thing. Are you seeing a psychiatrist for this?
    edited January 2006
    Fifteen have turned me down, another six have resigned and four are now in therapy....
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Any good therapist or psychiatrist is in therapy. I know I've put a few in. Every therapist I have ever had has threatened to throw me out. LOL!
  • TribesmanTribesman Explorer
    edited January 2006
    Hello all,
    I just I'd introduce myself. I've only dicovered this site today and already been made feel welcome. I'm not actually buddhist but I'm probably not far off. At the moment I'm researching different beliefs but buddhism does seem to click with me like no other. I'll just keep reading and thinking and see where I end up. Hopefully I'll get to know you better soon through various threads. Talk to ye soon.
  • edited January 2006
    Welcome Tribsman! There are more than a few of us riding in the same boat as you!
    As for my experience here on the site, it's been a 'god-send'...no PUN intended!!
    But I always find answers/thoughts/questions that I am seeking!

Get ready for a few good and hearty laughs as well!!!

Sharpie
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Hey, Tribesman!

Welcome, Irishman in England to funny farm on net! Glad to see you.
    Hope you have a great time here. Feel free to roam around and join
    in whenever you like. You've come across a great community and we're
    happy to have you here.

Failte!

Brigid
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    You're more than welcome to be here, Tribesman. Ask any questions you like, and we might just give you an answer. You're first teaching is this. What is the sound of one hand clapping? I don't know either, just seeing if you could give me the answer.
  • edited January 2006
    Hi Tribesman - welcome. You aren't alone. I'm a wobbling on the edge, dipping my toe in the pool candidate too! Looks nice in there though, dunnit?
  • edited February 2006
    I used to live in Northern California. The Pacific Northwest is so beautiful. I know this might sound silly, but it is so GREEN! I just love it. Life is abounding every where. It could make me a tree hugging hippie any day. I wouldn't mind moving back there one day just to hike and be part of the beauty again.

Speaking of hippie. I used to hang around Hilt California with the Lamas, and before that I had a commune in Takilma Oregon.

Jesus, I will never forget the time this bus broke down in Takilma. It was from a private school. It was all girls! After a few days we were all naked having a blast in my creek!

I had the Mayflower on my place, too, the one Dylan sang about. I had a hand written poem by Ginsberg in my three-holer! Hey, those were the days. Laying back, looking at the bare breasted women, hoping to score some acid for that night.

It was kind of Zen. You know, no mind; just living for the moment. Everyone partied day and night (I remember the night Gabby took on all these guys--she was amazing).

I had only one guy attack me. He tired to kill me with a machete (Electric Michael--what a nut case). He gave up because I could out run him. Man, the scenery was beautiful. Those are great memories. Drugs, sex, violence...wow.
    edited February 2006
    Tribesman, nice to meet you!

A person from the Emerald Isle whose face is glowing....

is Ireland still safe for holidays, or is there something you're not telling us.....?:wow: :p:lol:

Welcome!
    edited February 2006
    Well I'm not too sure.... I'm from the west coast and there have been rumours of our foreign neighbours 'accidently' dropping glowing barrels offshore. That could explain some of our behaviour :crazy: :bigclap: :crazy: .....and my photo. It sure makes life interesting :cheer:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hi Tribesman...and welcome.

What is the deal about the glowing barrels? Is the US screwing up again?

-bf
    edited February 2006
    No no the US is innocent of this one and probably our other neighbours too. No growth defects here :buck::buck: :buck:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The west coast? Like Connamara? (SP?) Do you have Gaelic?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    hey tribesman.

i distinctly remember seeing a similar photograph taken of the face of Australian troops (read "guinea pigs") in our outback-after the English military detonated many nuclear bombs in the 1950's they were told to stare at the blasts-to "see what would happen"

Most of those men are dead now-prematurely, but shhhh don't tell anyone everythings okay now!-yea right.

welcome.
  • edited February 2006
    Even though I've made a few posts, I haven't actually introduced myself yet.
    I found this site through a friend of mine, KeithG, who recently became Buddhist. The first time I became interested in Buddhism is in 9th grade. My history teacher, one of the cool yet totally insane teachers, was teaching us about different religions, including Buddhism. It sounded interesting to me, so I started meditating ocasionally. Usually just while waiting for the school bus. I stoped after a while, I don't remember why. So anyway, about 4 years later, Keith informs me that he's becoming Buddhist. I was shocked, amazed, and even shocked. He told me about Buddhism, and showed me this forum. Everyone seemed nice here, the total oppisit of every other forum I've stumbled accross. I decided too set up a tent and camp out here for a while. I didn't really want to lable myself as any religion (I know Buddhism isn't really a religion, but you know what I mean) for fear of loosing my identity. Well, since then, I think I've been gradually becomming Buddhist. I'm still not at the point of calling myself Buddhist, but I believe I'm close.
    In case any of you want information to stalk me, or just want to know some stuff about me, here's some random information.
    I'm 18, in college to (hopefully) become a writer for video games, I love video games, I'm also luccky enough to be in love (with a girl, not a game:P), and you can either call me Capt Bob, Capt, or Justin (yeah, my real name isn't Bob. And I'm not a captian). Heck, you can even call me Curley Sue if you want, although I'd find that slightly odd.
    Well, I think I've written enough, if not to much.:p
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Well, bad news, Curly Sue. Buddhism is about losing one's identity!

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Welcome Justin!
  • edited February 2006
    Welcome aboard Skipper, glad to have you in the crew!
  • edited February 2006
    .... .. Hi, nice to have you about...d'not fall in the drink dude!........
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Make the world a better place with BUDDHISM."
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    The west coast? Like Connamara? (SP?) Do you have Gaelic?

I'm from Galway, the gateway to Connemara, and yes I speak Irish. You must have Irish roots yourself?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes, I do. My great great grandfather came from Bawnboy, County Cavan, to Canada in August, 1847. We think he may have come over on a ship called "The Jenny Johnson".

But my immediate family are mostly from Scotland. My parents and oldest sister speak Scottish Gaelic and work to keep the language and culture alive in Canada.

When I was an exchange student in Wales during my third year of university I traveled throughout Ireland and fell in love with the west coast. It was magical to me.

Glad to have you here.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    I mentioned in another post (somewhere here) that I was introduced to Buddhism in 1976 in Seattle through a therapist from whom I was receiving counselling. I followed his suggestion and read more on Buddhism and it has felt that this is where I belong since then.

I am a native Calgarian and have lived here more than anywhere else. I have lived in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Seattle, Toronto, and Dundas, ON.. I have a brother and sister (and their families) living here. My parents are dead. Looking after my mother for the last six years of her life taught me patience and compassion.

I have known since I was a young boy that I am gay. When I was younger (and it was in the 50s and 60s), it was difficult to feel that there was a place for me. I had been a Christian (a rather conservative branch of the Lutheran church) but as I came to accept who I was, I felt less and less that I could be true to myself in the Christian church.

I was introduced to Buddhism when I was being treated for depression. I was attracted to the sense that I was responsible to others and living a life with compassion was possible and preferable. Until recently, I had read nothing that suggested that gays or lesbians were not welcome within Buddhism. Now I am not sure that Buddhism is much different from other faiths in this regard. I hope it is.

I am married to a great guy (it is legal in Canada for gays or lesbians to be married). We live a rather quiet life in some respects.

:canflag:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I had read nothing that suggested that gays or lesbians were not welcome within Buddhism. Now I am not sure that Buddhism is much different from other faiths in this regard. I hope it is.

Hi, CalgaryGuy.

Just wondering what has changed and what has made you wonder about this? I've never seen or heard anything homophobic in Buddhism. I think I remember you mentioning you'd gone to some temples in Calgary and saw some anti-gay literature. Can you tell us more about it?

At the Shambhala Centre in Ottawa there's a Queer Dharma Group that meets once a month.
    Queer Dharma Group
    Meets Monthly on the Second Thursday, 7h pm

Resident lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transpeople of the Ottawa Shambhala Centre host an evening of Queer Dharma on the second Thursday of each month. The format will be a short meditation, a short reading, and a discussion. The aim is to reflect on how the teachings apply to our lives. This event is open to LGBT people, members and friends of the Shambhala Centre, and also anyone else who is interested in how Buddhist and/or Shambhala path relate to living queer in today's society.

Contact Kate Barry at kbarry@intergate.ca

Here's the link to the website's homepage:

www.shambhalaottawa.ca/

And one to the Queer Dharma Group on the schedule page:

www.shambhalaottawa.ca/schedule.html

There are LOTS of Shambhala Centres around. I'll check Calgary for you and post info in a few minutes.

Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hi, CalgaryGuy!

Here's the link to the Calgary Shambhala Centre:

Calgary Shambhala Centre

Hope this helps.

Brigid
    edited February 2006
    CalgaryGuy wrote:
    Until recently, I had read nothing that suggested that gays or lesbians were not welcome within Buddhism. Now I am not sure that Buddhism is much different from other faiths in this regard. I hope it is.

I am married to a great guy (it is legal in Canada for gays or lesbians to be married). We live a rather quiet life in some respects.

:canflag:

I trust and hope that nobody here has given you any kind of impression that you are not welcome here... and so it should be elsewhere... Intolerance of any kind, of others is a central 'no-no' for any Buddhist tradition, if it adheres to the Buddha's teachings, eighfold Path and precepts. In the highly unlikely event that you would encounter hostility, rejection or resentment here, it would not be allowed to pass unmentioned - either by members, or Moderators.

A legal union is legal in the UK too, now. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I haven't found very much anti-Canadian sentiment on these boards.
  • edited February 2006
    I haven't found very much anti-Canadian sentiment on these boards.

Everyone's a comedian! :)
  • edited February 2006
    Heck no! I was listening to Maple Leaf Rag only this morning!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    LOL!

EVERYONE loves a Canadian! How could you not? Right? ........I said "Right?".
  • edited February 2006
    Been watching Due South on British TV recently - can only say if you are all like that guy - awwwwwww come and live in my house!
  • edited February 2006
    I've been lurking around the board for around a week now so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 37 year old and I live in Birmingham UK with my hubby and 2 little angels:rarr: :rarr: *cough*

I run an online fair trade retail business with mah hubby.

I was raised as an ever sceptical methodist but have labelled myself agnostic for as long as I can remember. I've been interested in Buddhism for a while now but really just learning. I'm on my way to a stage where I may call myself a Buddhist but I have a number of issues I'm still working on..... and (after reading some of this board) with you lot as my teachers, who knows where I'm gonna end up!

Nice to meet ya all!:grin:

Sas
    edited February 2006
    Nice to meet you too, Sas.

Welcome aboard!

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Hello Sas, Nice to have you among us! Don't ever discount the importance of waht you too can bring to the table though... you might see us lot as teachers, but your engaging in discussions, and contribution, will be just as valuable!
    Welcome!
    edited February 2006
    If anyone sees me as a teacher, they need to get better glasses.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Hi Sas - nice to meet you.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2006
    CalgaryGuy wrote:
    I was introduced to Buddhism when I was being treated for depression. I was attracted to the sense that I was responsible to others and living a life with compassion was possible and preferable. Until recently, I had read nothing that suggested that gays or lesbians were not welcome within Buddhism. Now I am not sure that Buddhism is much different from other faiths in this regard. I hope it is.

Welcome, CG. Your comment about Buddhism being much like other faiths regarding intolerance towards gays and lesbians does not reflect my experience. Quite the opposite. However, I do think some ethnic Buddhists (i.e. Asian Buddhists who now live in the West) may harbor some anti-gay intolerance. which is more a reflection of the culture they came from than having anything to do with Buddhism. When I was in Mongolia last summer, the people are predominantly Buddhist and are also, if not exactly intolerant, then not accepting of the gay lifestyle. But that's a cultural thing for them. All the Western Buddhist groups I have had any contact with have been completely tolerant of gays. In fact, it's usually not even an issue. In my sangha, for example, my teacher, an American-born female tulku, is extremely tolerant. She even has a gay son. To show how tolerant she is, she set him up with his first gay date just to get him moving! We also have a G/L/B/T Buddhist group called the Variegated Jewels (aka Tara's Faeries). So I hope your experience was an isolated one!

Palzang
  • edited February 2006
    Sign: Aquarius
    Hair: Medium/dark blond
    Eyes: Grey/bluish grey/greenish grey/greyish blue/greyish green/... never completely sure
    Height: 1.65m
    Born: England
    Currently: Sweden
    Favorite color: Blue, though I like most colours
    Favorite music: Instrumental music, vocal music without words
    Favorite food: The potato salad mom makes
    Favorite movie: Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, other Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies; The Shawshank Redemption... and probably a few others that I can't remember right now
    Favorite book: The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver; The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood; A Wrinkle in Time and other Madeleine L'Engle books, A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving, The Alchemist, Paolo Coelho... The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, Thich Nhat Hanh (and other books by same author); The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche; The Raft is not the Shore, Daniel Berrigan & Thich Nhat Hanh; The Seven Storey Mountain, Thomas Merton; Seeds of Destruction, same; Tao Te Ching; A Revelation of Love, Julian of Norwich... (lets just say that I like to read and have many more favourites than these)

I was going to lurk a while, but this seems like a nice place so I may as well introduce myself even if I end up mostly lurking.

(This is my third or fourth attempt at writing an introduction and this time I'm making a point of writing a short intro, I tend to ramble...)

I've been interested in Buddhism for years, reading a lot, thinking a lot about it, but not really applying it to my life. I'm starting to do that now, starting to practice meditation more regularly, trying to remind myself to do one thing at a time, trying to be more aware of my intentions, trying to be more aware of myself and 'right now'... I'm taking it slowly.
  • edited February 2006
    Hi and welcome, nice to have you here. Can really relate to that last paragraph (I've been a bystander for some time) pull up a chair - tea or hot chocolate?