Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi Ryan,

Also welcome. Your story about your experience at AT&T made me think of another book you might be interested in reading, The Diamond Cutter: The Buddha on Managing Your Business and Your Life, by Geshe Michael Roach. Geshe Roach applies the lessons of the Diamond Cutter Sutra to the business world and is a great read. Just thought you might be interested, or anyone else out there trying to balance their Buddhist practice with the business world.
    0385497911.01._PIsitb-st-arrow,TopLeft,-1,-14_SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg
    The Diamond Cutter : The Buddha on Managing Your Business and Your Life by Geshe Michael Roach

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Ryan, welcome, very nice to meet you. I've read your posts, and it's great to have your input. Thank you.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited April 2006
    (I'm not sure how phonetic Japanese will look here, but here goes...)

Ohaiu kasawe maas, Ryan-san, and welcome to our online sangha!

(I once worked for four years at a Japanese bank, so I picked up a few of the more common phrases...)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Padawan wrote:

Ohaiu kasawe maas, Ryan-san, and welcome to our online sangha!

(I once worked for four years at a Japanese bank, so I picked up a few of the more common phrases...)

TRANSLATION:

"You are currently very overdrawn. please address this matter at your earliest convenience". :grin: :type:
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited April 2006
    federica wrote:
    TRANSLATION:

"You are currently very overdrawn. please address this matter at your earliest convenience". :grin: :type:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Welcome Ryan.

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    @Brigid:

I'm afraid I don't remember Kylie. It was great how many people came from Cornwall to help the Regina center open and get off the ground - one of them was my training class instructor and was a really great guy. I had some very good memories of the people who worked there.

@Palzang:
    Thank you very much for bringing that book to my attention! When I re-enter the work force I will absolutely have to give that a read.

@federica:
    Thank you kindly.

@Padawan:
    Domo arigato gozaimasu! (Thank you very much!) :D

@buddhafoot:
    Thank you! :D
    edited April 2006

@Padawan:
    Domo arigato gozaimasu! (Thank you very much!) :D

Now you see...? We could had real fun with that one!

Konichiwa! Daijobu Desu Ka?
  • edited April 2006
    federica wrote:
    Now you see...? We could had real fun with that one!

Konichiwa! Daijobu Desu Ka?
    Fun? Alrighty, if you insist! :lol:

はい、大丈夫です。フェデリカさんは?
    edited April 2006
    That's a "knock knock" joke...Right?

Ok... I'll play....

"Who's there.....?" :crazy: :D
  • edited April 2006
    *laughs*

You have seen through my strange, otherworldly language! I am slain! Nuuuu! Whee.gif
    edited April 2006
    Oh dear, oh dear oh dear.....:hrm: :poke: :bigclap:

I think we're going to get along jus' fine - !! :lol: :thumbsup:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Ton de monai! (Japanese for "oy vay!")

Ryan,

I like the name you chose, Jizo Bosatsu. When I was in Japan in the Air Force way back when, almost every temple you went to had dozens of little Jizos, usually in the courtyard outside the temple. Jizo is considered to be the guardian of children, so Japanese women would donate a little Jizo statue whenever they had an abortion, which is a very common practice there, unfortunately. It always brought tears to my eyes whenever I saw them.

It's also interesting because there is some speculation that the name Jizo Bosatsu is derived from Jesus by way of Portugese traders who came to Japan.

Palzang

• edited April 2006
    Tondemonai! I have commited that to memory. Come this Fall, I'm going to drive my Japanese instructors crazy (again) - last year it was by my abuse of the sentence-ender dattebayo. XD

Before coming to Buddhism, I was a self-described "pagan" who had an affinity for Anubis. Many people know him as a god who protects the dead, but he also protects orphens and the lost. I've read that Jizo Bosatsu also fills similar rolls in addition to being a protector of women and children. I tend to think of Jizo not as a protector of women and children for the sake of protecting women and children, but I see him more as a protector of those who need protecting. Historically (and in some places, currently) women and children are not treated very well. So Jizo as a protector of the mistreated and the lost is something that really speaks to me. Of course I may be stretching it there with that personal interpretation, so please take what I have to say with a grain (or bag) of salt.

May I ask how long you were in Japan? I know that there are several Air Force bases near Okinawa, did you ever get a chance to see the sights around there?

That is also very interesting speculation about Jizo and Jesus! :D
    Palzang wrote:
    Ton de monai! (Japanese for "oy vay!")

Ryan,

I like the name you chose, Jizo Bosatsu. When I was in Japan in the Air Force way back when, almost every temple you went to had dozens of little Jizos, usually in the courtyard outside the temple. Jizo is considered to be the guardian of children, so Japanese women would donate a little Jizo statue whenever they had an abortion, which is a very common practice there, unfortunately. It always brought tears to my eyes whenever I saw them.

It's also interesting because there is some speculation that the name Jizo Bosatsu is derived from Jesus by way of Portugese traders who came to Japan.

Palzang

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Ryan,

Don't get me started on Egyptian mythology! I'll be at it for days. I really think I was an Egyptian priest or something in a former life because I love Egyptian mythology, always have. My friends all thought I was nuts because I got extremely upset when I went to see the movie The Mummy because they named the mummy, who was a bad guy, Imhotep. Imhotep was like a god to the ancient Egyptians, the founder of medicine, the builder of the first pyramids, master designer, and to give his name to this bozo was just too much! So best not to go there or we'll be starting a new board!

Anyway, I was in Japan from 1970-72 with the USAF, where I served as an airborne Russian linguist. I was originally stationed at Yokota AB outside of Tokyo. Then in late 1971 our unit moved to Kadena AB, Okinawa, so I've been both places. Loved Tokyo, hated Okinawa (too many people and tons of crazy Marines running around). Actually it was in Japan where I first got really interested in Buddhism.

Palzang
  • edited April 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Ryan,

Don't get me started on Egyptian mythology! I'll be at it for days. I really think I was an Egyptian priest or something in a former life because I love Egyptian mythology, always have. My friends all thought I was nuts because I got extremely upset when I went to see the movie The Mummy because they named the mummy, who was a bad guy, Imhotep. Imhotep was like a god to the ancient Egyptians, the founder of medicine, the builder of the first pyramids, master designer, and to give his name to this bozo was just too much! So best not to go there or we'll be starting a new board!
    One of my good friends is a Kemetic Reconstructionalist, and whenever she finds out something cool and scholarly on old Anpu (INPW, yinepu, et cetera) she sends it my way. I was never really into ancient Egypt, but I connect very well to Anpu himself, and I must admit that it is a guilty pleasure of mine to watch the television series Stargate: SG1. I refrain from speaking of it around my Kemetic friend as its skewed references make her cringe (which is amusing, but she could kick my ass before I knew what was happening).
    Palzang wrote:
    Anyway, I was in Japan from 1970-72 with the USAF, where I served as an airborne Russian linguist. I was originally stationed at Yokota AB outside of Tokyo. Then in late 1971 our unit moved to Kadena AB, Okinawa, so I've been both places. Loved Tokyo, hated Okinawa (too many people and tons of crazy Marines running around). Actually it was in Japan where I first got really interested in Buddhism.

Palzang
    Linguist! Fascination extraordinaire! I adore languages and have been trying to soak up as many as I can handle at once. A good friend of mine had his heart set on learning Russian, but has decided that it would open up more opportunities for employment if he went with Mandarin Chinese (which I'm currently studying).

It's funny that Okinawa would have "too many people;" a bit ironic when compared with Tokyo (perhaps). I'm interested in your story of how you were introduced to Buddhism. Do you have a link to a post or thread where I can read about it?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    True, Okinawa wasn't as densly populated as Tokyo, but there were 700,000 people stuffed on a smallish island along with a bunch of American servicemen, so it always felt overpopulated to me. Of course, there were also virtually unexplored areas of the island with dense jungle vegetation and more than a few habus...

Tell your friend he could make lots of money studying Arabic!

I think I've talked a little about how I got introduced to Buddhism here, but I don't have threads at hand. I'll get back to you on it. Got to go get some things done today...

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    This has been the coolest conversation to read!

You guys rock!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Screen Name: Sine313
    Sex: Male
    Born: Detroit, Michigan
    Hair: Auburn
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 190 lbs.
    Likes: Travel in the 3rd world / developing nations, foreign film, obscure music, photography
    Dislikes: TV
    Religous Identification: Still figuring that part out
    Tradition/School: <shurg>
    Favorite band: Pop Will Eat Itself, Sinn Sisamouth, Pan Ron, various 70s Khmer rock/pop
    Favorite food: Satay, traditional Khmer dishes, Thai red curries

This is going to be long..... sorry.

I'm here largely out of curiousity. Raised Catholic, I haven't identified with any religion or school of thought in a little over 10 years. I work in the automotive industry as a purchasing agent. While I enjoy purchasing, I'd rather do it in any other industry. I'd rather be working in the non-profit sector, where my actions would not lead to people being fired and/or laid off.

In 2003 I felt that my life was very stagnant, working full time, going to school part time, and not really doing anything of significant value. I was presented with the opportunity to backpack through Central America with a complete stranger, and soon found myself on a plane to Belize. The following two weeks were spent backpacking through Belize, Guatemala, and Mexico, where I received the biggest culture shock of my life to that point. I like to think that this experience planted a seed in me, making me curious about how the rest of the world lives.

Last year, while work was particularily stressful, I pulled out my photos of Central America and remembered how much simpler and peaceful their lives seemed in comparison to my own. I felt the need to escape for awhile and bought a plane ticket to Singapore. A few months passed and before I knew it I was on a plane to Singapore with no itinerary, no plans, and only a few guide books on SouthEast Asia. I spent the following three weeks backpacking through Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Thailand, riding on the back of motorcycles, hitchhiking, taking buses, trains, etc, essentially just wandering around Asia by myself. I spent a great deal of time in Hindu and Buddhist temples as I wandered from city to city, and had never felt more at peace than when I was in the Cambodian and Thai Buddhist temples.

I'm now making plans to return to Cambodia at the end of the year, possibly permanently, where I'd like to get into the non-governmental agency / non-profit sector helping to rebuild Cambodia's culture that was lost in the genocides. Alternatively, a Cambodian friend of mine may come to the US to go to school, and if that happens, I'll probably earn my MBA here before we both return to Cambodia.

Being immersed in Eastern culture for three weeks had a profound effect on me. Even in the bustling cities of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Phnom Penh, and Bangkok, there seems to be a certain calm about the people that is lacking among the general population in the US. Cambodia, in particular, had such an effect on me that I've felt homesick ever since returning to the US.

Buddhism is becoming much more than a passing curiousity for me, and I'd like to find a place in Metro-Detroit to attend services, preferably related to Theravada Buddhism, as this is what is practiced in Cambodia.

I'm frequently over worked and over stressed, and need to get some new people in my life. Buddhism seems like a potentially ideal way for me to find some peace in the madness that currently is my life.

So...... hello.

Jeff
    http://www.datavibe.net/~krhn
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Welcome, Jeff,

There are a number of guides to Buddhist centers on the net. Dharmanet (dharmanet.org) has one, as does Buddhanet (buddhanet.net), Quiet Mountain, Snow Lion (snowlionpub.com), Shambhala (shambhala.org), and I'm sure there are others as well I'm not remembering at the moment, so you should be able to locate a group fairly easily.

Good luck on your travels! It can be very enlightening to live in a different society for a time, as you've already discovered. While you're at it, you should try Mongolia!

Palzang
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Hamtramck! I sort of "grew up" in Hamtramck :D

Welcome aboard!
    edited April 2006
    Hello Jeff and welcome.... It's nice to have you aboard. :)
    edited April 2006
    * Could I just point out to the more sensitive members of the forum that should you go to the first link mentioned in Samahita Bhikkhu's signature, and explore 'Meditation manual', you will at some point come across some extremely gruesome and somewhat macarbre pictures of dead beings and corpses in various states of 'degeneration'.
    Please be advised that for some traditions, these images - together with the real thing - are very normal things for adherents to meditate upon, as a means of understanding Death and Impermanence, and are a useful tool with which to dispel fears and phobias about dying, by enabling those meditating to confront their fears... These meditations serve to render all fears and apprehensions regarding death as irrelevant and illusory.
    But the pictures are not pretty.
    So, with the greatest respect to Bhikkhu Samahita - You have been warned.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Jeff!

Welcome and nice to have you here!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    federica wrote:
    But the pictures are not pretty.

That's an understatement and a half! :)

I knew I shouldn't have looked :eekblue:

I can see how images such as those would be useful in forcing you to confront your fears and what disgusts you though.

Thanks for the warning, even though I was too stupid to heed it. That'll learn me!! :crazy:
  • edited April 2006
    Phew...what a trip!
    I had a wonderful family holiday in warm spectacular weather...I feel rejuvenated and relaxed. I also did a lot of reading.....

Welcome to all those that have joined us while I was away!

Sharpie
  • edited April 2006
    Name: Greg
    Hair: Dark
    Eyes: Hazel
    Height: don't know
    Weight: 73Kg
    Born: Baltimore, MD
    Currently: Baltimore, MD (Warsaw, Poland in March and the summer)
    Religious Identification: Christian Buddhist
    Favorite color: Green
    Favorite band: Moby
    Favorite food: Samosa
    Favorite movie: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Favorite book: Don't have one

My little story:

I became interested in Buddhism recently in sort of a personal "renaissance", one of only 2 days I have ever woken up and viewed everything in an entirely different perspective than before. I was baptized Catholic so I've been strongly following the goings on of the Catholic world for quite a while untill I found myself with a strong belief in reincarnation. I then looked deeper and deeper into Buddhism after I found out what a tolerant and peaceful religion it was. There are things I disagree with in Catholicism that made a group of ultra-conservatives give me a rather harsh send off, like dominance over animals. I believed in many things Buddhist (for lack of a better way of phrasing the sentence) for years (about 3) before I looked at my spiritual self. That's basically how I ended up a "Christian Buddhist" - taking a deeper look and focusing on my spiritual self more than my earthly self for about a full week (5 full days of spiritual analization). Also, my expertise in holding chill-out sessions also helped with the analysis (both, meditation and non meditating forms). I am also an animal rights supporter (not PETA crazy though) and a environmental activist (nowhere near what Greenpeace does though).

Also, on a side-note, meditation helped me stumble onto bio feedback - a way to naturally cure most ailments, just an added bonus to meditation.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Greg.

Welcome!

It's nice to see you here.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks! I did forget to mention one little detail though :

I'M POLISH, I'M POLISH, I'M POLISH :grin:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hey, Greg.

My oldest sister just married a Polish man called Greg! LOL! The wedding was fabulous because his mother made a whole bunch of traditional Polish dishes and I gorged myself, especially on the perogies. I'd never had perogies in my life that good. And her stuffed cabbage rolls! To die for! But she doesn't live very close so I never get to have any of her cooking. :-/

I have a thing for Polish last names. Any names ending in "ski" I find to be so beautiful for some reason. I know it's not necessarily a Polish name ending but I always think of it like that.

My very first boyfriend was Polish. His name was Skorszeski, which is obviously a misspelling on my part. :buck: I always loved his name. His oldest brother, Jan, was 6'9 and I used to stand on his shoulders in the pool and dive off. That was a blast! And when I was in university one of my best friends would have been named Minka Papshinski, if her Jewish grandmother hadn't still been alive when she was born and if the family hadn't shortened the name when they came to Canada from Russia. I think Minka Papshinski is the most beautiful name I've ever heard. I can say it over and over and I never get tired of the way it sounds. I should write a romance novel and use that name for my heroine. LOL! :grin:

Glad to have you here, Greg.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    lol! I remember last summer my uncle made pierogies and I was eating them all week :) I even had pierogi with tea for breakfast when my mom went and got her nails done. Stuffed cabbage is fun, it's called "glampki" and I always remove the meat and leave the cabbage :D My name has got to be one of the few exceptions, it ends in -cki and it's a Catholic name :crazy:.
    edited April 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    That's an understatement and a half! :)

I knew I shouldn't have looked :eekblue:

I can see how images such as those would be useful in forcing you to confront your fears and what disgusts you though.

Thanks for the warning, even though I was too stupid to heed it. That'll learn me!! :crazy:

What the hell are you guys talking about?

And who said that one of those pictures looked like buddhafoot napping!?!?!?!

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    Did you not have a look?
    Oooh they were grim ! :eek:
    edited April 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Did you not have a look?
    Oooh they were grim ! :eek:

I don't even know what you two are talking about.

I guess I need to stop drinking heavily, smoking crack, shootin' smack and snortin' coke.

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    Fede was just warning people that they may find some rather disturbing pictures if they followed one of the links in Samahita's sig.
    I then stupidly followed the links much to my horror! :D

I'll PM you the link rather than posting it here, it's a sub-link off the main site referenced in Samhita's sig.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2006
    Another polack checking in! Family names include Ciak, Bekalarczyk, Cieszkowski, Stefanski, and Ambrozy (Actually, I think Ambrozy is a Hungarian name)

I grew up eating things I wouldn't eat now that I know what they are :D

Czarnina, Kyszka, etc. :D
  • edited April 2006
    Dzien Dobry!

Yet another happy Pole...
    my Babchi was Keczewski...bad spelling, sorry....
  • edited April 2006
    hello everyone, my names Wesley, I've been reading off and on about Buddhism for the past year, just recently have I took my studies seriously, everyday I learn something new. I tend to think alot, I spend several hours a day pondering on things that people my age never take a second look at. to be a teenager I do not "live" a teenage life, I'm never out, I don't party, do drugs, drink, smoke, etc. I prefer to live a life of solitude. I hope one day to break off all my ties with the world, I have seen how people waste there lives, and how people are ignorant and misguided, it more saddens me than anything else. I wish everyone to be happy, I try my best to cheer others up, even when I am not well. I'm not really good at introductions, if anyone wants to know anything, just ask, I am a open person, and will answer you the best I can.

with love,
    Wesley.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Wesley.

And welcome again.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    thank you Brigid, I posted this elsewhere but, only my 2nd day on here, I love it! everyone here (so far) has been nice and really friendly. love the atmosphere here.
  • edited April 2006
    Welcome wezz!
  • edited April 2006
    Welcome Wezz and Gregc!!

I agree wezz, the atmosphere here is comforting. I've tried others online sanghas, but this one ROCKS!
  • edited April 2006
    yes it is very conforting here, i found the link here from another forum (www.lioncity.net/buddhism) it was just to busy there, here its' nice and laid back.

I hear my bed calling, big day tomorow (goin shopping!) i'll see everybody tomorow!!

much love,
    Wesley.
  • edited April 2006
    Hello everyone! i'm new here and I just found this forum today. I have been a 'New Buddhist' for a year now and I find myself still in the early stages of learning.

For the first time in my life, I really feel connected to a religion/philosophy and it is my interest to meet other people who are new buddhists also.

Although I'm in Michigan, if there are any buddhist from California, particularly the Venice/Santa Monica area, give me a holler! :type:
    edited April 2006
    Zenmonie wrote:
    Hello everyone! i'm new here and I just found this forum today. I have been a 'New Buddhist' for a year now and I find myself still in the early stages of learning.

For the first time in my life, I really feel connected to a religion/philosophy and it is my interest to meet other people who are new buddhists also.

Although I'm in Michigan, if there are any buddhist from California, particularly the Venice/Santa Monica area, give me a holler! :type:

We have some folk in Michigan and California.

Welcome!

-bf
    edited April 2006
    Bienvenu Zenmonie....

Of course, it could be 'Bienvenue'....

Whatever, welcome to the forum - !

:)
  • edited April 2006
    :uphand: Thank you guys!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2006
    wezz_975 wrote:
    hello everyone, my names Wesley, I've been reading off and on about Buddhism for the past year, just recently have I took my studies seriously, everyday I learn something new. I tend to think alot, I spend several hours a day pondering on things that people my age never take a second look at. to be a teenager I do not "live" a teenage life, I'm never out, I don't party, do drugs, drink, smoke, etc. I prefer to live a life of solitude. I hope one day to break off all my ties with the world, I have seen how people waste there lives, and how people are ignorant and misguided, it more saddens me than anything else. I wish everyone to be happy, I try my best to cheer others up, even when I am not well. I'm not really good at introductions, if anyone wants to know anything, just ask, I am a open person, and will answer you the best I can.

with love,
    Wesley.

Awesome. I hope that your plans will come to fruition. The world doesn't realize how much it benefits from those who break ties with the world. I wish you the best of luck. BTW, my name is AllinOne over at E-Sangha. There are also some other members here from there.

Zenmonie,
    Welcome to the forum.

It's funny. I've been studying buddhism for about 2 or 3 years now, and I still consider myself a beginner. There is SO much to learn on this path. But, I hope to keep this beginner's attitude (and mind) even after studying for 20 or 30 years.

_/\_
    metta
    edited April 2006
    Zenmonie wrote:
    :uphand: Thank you guys!

I'm glad Jerbear changed his avatar - or you could be in deep dooh-dooh.

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    Oh really? Ooops, and I just innocently found this on an avatar website a month ago. :D