Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2010 in Philosophy
Is a belief in rebirth necessary to fully and effectively practice the 8-fold path? From a practical point of view I don't see that it is, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Please note the question is about our own beliefs on this issue and how they relate to our practice, not about what the Buddha taught which is a separate issue and the subject of another thread here.

P

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    No, it's not necessary.
    The Buddha's primary objective was to teach us about the origin and cessation of suffering.
    Thinking excessively on such matters ultimately simply adds to it.
    I can't make my mind up completely, but I'm not really all that worried.
    I think it's better for me to focus on what's going on here and now, rather than to waste time wondering 'what if'....
  • edited June 2010
    Yea, all go with "federica" on this one. In daily moment to moment practice, we try to give up speculating on things that we can prove . The mind starts making all these excuses to believe in something and we loose the ability to be in the present moment. If rebirth happens good on us. If it doesn't, good on us. :) It doesn't matter. What matters is that one is practicing the Buddha Dharma all the time the best they can. I would leave the rebirth question and answer up to this vast universe of ours.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Instead of endless questions about rebirth and karma, I think it would advisable to actually focus on what we call in Vajrayana Guru Yoga, i.e. developing faith in the teacher (whomever that may be, Buddha or a living person). One does this by examining the nature of the guru or teacher and what the teacher means in your life. By doing this one avoids the pitfalls of mere intellectualism in trying to figure out things like rebirth and karma. Of course no one believes in rebirth and karma right off. Why should they? They have been taught the opposite since time out of mind. Therefore one must first develop an understanding of why one should even follow the teachings, what they will do for you, and why continuing on in the same way you have been for who knows how long does not produce happiness. Understanding the rest will come in its own time.

Palzang
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Great post Palzang!
  • edited June 2010
    It is not necessary to believe in rebirth to awaken, but it is helpful to understand both views (literal/metaphorical) as fully as you can. Individuals of different perspectives will tend to cling to one view or the other; it's entirely based on the individual. Atheists will generally believe in the metaphorical view of rebirth as the moment-to-moment arising and falling of unwholesome mental states (the 'Non-Self'). People who believe there is a greater power, god, etc., will generally believe in the literal view of rebirth as the consciousness migrating from body to body; necessary for new life, and living forever in a sense.

There's nothing wrong with having either of these views, or believing in both views. If both views did not exist, many people would not associate themselves with Buddhism, and the Dharma's transmission and impact would be greatly lessened. When one awakens to reality, which is called stream-entry in Buddhism, one gains a new solid foundation to replace their beliefs, and rebirth can then be re-examined and understood with a more developed 'Right View'.

Always consider the bigger picture. I hope this has been helpful. :)

Namaste
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    To my current understanding it is not necessary to care about rebirth until and past Sotapanna-hood. But I might change my mind later on.

After that I do not know. It is said that the Buddha saw past and future lifes right before enlightenment. Maybe it becomes important then.

Also many see it as a motivational factor to cultivate buddhism to belive in rebirth.

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    After that I do not know. It is said that the Buddha saw past and future lifes right before enlightenment. Maybe it becomes important then.

Susima Sutta.
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »

Thanks a lot!!! Why did you not quote this sutta to me earlier? Well I must have read it because I love SN but not really remembered this sutta.

Really enlightening. Got a friend (rebirth agnostic) who is going to be thrilled about it too.

Well I still believe in rebirth (difficult for me not to) and I am not going to change my cultivation due to this but (rebirth belief never really figured in there anyway) it is really satisfying to be able so say that seeing past and future lives is not at all necessary to reach the goal.

Thank you.
    /Victor
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, some thoughtful replies and good advice here. It's something I've been mulling over for quite a long time, it seems to be a real thicket of views!
    I'm currently agnostic and now thinking it's better to just focus on my daily practice, keep an open mind and live with the uncertainties and possibilities...

P
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Both the belief in rebirth and the notion of the 8-fold path as something to practice are corruptions of the Buddha's teachings. The Buddha makes this very clear in the Brahmajala sutra (the Pali version, at least.)
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Both the belief in rebirth and the notion of the 8-fold path as something to practice are corruptions of the Buddha's teachings. The Buddha makes this very clear in the Brahmajala sutra (the Pali version, at least.)

Reference please? Futher explanation would also be welcome. Obviously I have only read the "wrong" translation...

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    They're all the wrong translation, even the Pali version. :)

Regarding the eightfold path, he prefaces the Short Section on Morality (paragraph prior to that link) with
    "It is, monks, for elementary, inferior matters of moral practice that the worldling would praise the Tathágata. And what are these elementary, inferior matters for which the worldling would praise him?"
    This makes it clear that moral practice is an ancillary result of his awakening, not the path which took him there.

Regarding the necessity of rebirth, see three paragraphs prior this link:
    Wrong view numbers 19 - 34: "They declare that the self after death is healthy and conscious and (1) material, (2) immaterial, (3) both material and immaterial, (4) neither material nor immaterial, (5) finite, (6) infinite, (7) both, (8) neither, (9) of uniform perception, (10) of varied perception, (l1) of limited perception, (12) of unlimited perception, (13) wholly happy, (14) wholly miserable, (15) both, (16) neither."
    Wrong views 35-50 are also relevant.
    edited June 2010
    They're all the wrong translation, even the Pali version. :)
    Except my translation, which is obviously correct. :lol:.
    Regarding the eightfold path, he prefaces the Short Section on Morality (paragraph prior to that link) with This makes it clear that moral practice is an ancillary result of his awakening, not the path which took him there.

The Sila are a part of the eigthfold path and I can agree that it is a base part of it but the eightfold path also contains Pranja and Samadhi. And I can not see that he discusses Samadhi here and besides seems to say that Pranja is the advanced path...?

"There are, monks, other matters, profound, hard to see, hard to understand, peaceful, excellent, beyond mere thought, subtle, to be experienced by the wise, which the Tathágata, having realized them by his own super-knowledge, proclaims, and about which those who would truthfully praise the Tathágata would rightly speak. And what are these matters?..."

Besides just because something is basic does not mean they can be disregarded in the whole. They do not teach plus minus in advanced calculus...
    Regarding the necessity of rebirth, see three paragraphs prior this link: Wrong views 35-50 are also relevant.

Is he not talking about wrong views of the self here? As eternal, infinite etc. Not per see the fact that there is rebirth or its role in practise?

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    What is your definition of rebirth?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Great post Palzang!

Thanks, Guy. I just see such questions going round and round and never ending up anywhere (as happened further down the thread). BTW, I really like the quote you have in your signature. I've used it several times!

Palzang
  • edited June 2010
    The OP had asked what are our views on the importance of rebirth, not what we think what the Buddha taught.

So my take on it is that rebirth is not of immediate concern. You can go a long way without even considering the question of rebirth. Practice according to the eightfold path can be developed naturally and even quite expansively without touching upon philosophical and metaphysical issues.

However, at some point in the development of samadhi, practitioners will enter what science calls alternate states of consciousness. Knowing these alternate states might lead to an improved understanding of common states of consciousness. This in turn leads to an improved understanding of the types of illusions that are present in everyday consciousness.

What I am saying is that rebirth will look a lot less whacky at this point, because it becomes clear that the mind's power is unlimited and that it can give instantaneous birth to almost everything. Furthermore, it becomes clear that the dichotomy between nonphysical and physical existence itself is mind-made. With this insight an intuitive understanding of rebirth develops.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    ...the notion of the 8-fold path as something to practice are corruptions of the Buddha's teachings.

I need something to practice!:lol:

P
    edited June 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    Besides just because something is basic does not mean they can be disregarded in the whole. They do not teach plus minus in advanced calculus...

I think ethical behaviour can be seen as both a foundation and a result of practice, but either way I don't think it's something we should ignore.

P
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    I need something to practice!:lol:

P
    So practice meditation. :)

The Story of Fire
  • edited June 2010
    The OP had asked what are our views on the importance of rebirth, not what we think what the Buddha taught.
    Cheers, Thomas
    It is important becos life continue to be lovely as there is no death.
    Is a matter of changing clothing while the body remain beautifully in place.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    It is important becos life continue to be lovely as there is no death.
    Is a matter of changing clothing while the body remain beautifully in place.

Wow. I think every single aspect of the above quote contradicts at least one of the major tenets of Buddhism AND fails to answer the question. :crazy::lol:
  • edited June 2010
    Disney is speaking of literal rebirth in his/her own way, by making the 'consciousness' the body and the 'other aggregates' the clothes; so it's changing clothes, to Disney.

That 'there is no death' is for sure. Given that, do you still think Disney's post contradicts any tenets of Buddhism? :)

Namaste
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yet there's life?
  • edited June 2010
    I don't understand the question. :) I was just trying to shed some light on what Disney was trying to convey with his/her post (or at least how I perceived it).

Namaste
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    [there is no death] yet there's birth, life? What?
  • edited June 2010
    That's our problem as humans. We have trouble defining life, but in short we do believe it to be that which occurs between birth and death.....as if something new is created, 'lives', and then at some point ceases to be. That's a very narrow, selfish view, that is empowered by our fear of 'death'.

Nothing new is created, there are only things changing constantly. Life is change. Cells changing, coming together and forming new structures, food changing into energy to nourish, etc.; nothing stands alone. After death the body, which existed only as sustained by food/energy, becomes food/energy for other beings.

I'm not sure that I'm putting this quite well. But, if we understand that obviously there was no 'me', no 'I' before the egg and sperm came together, why are we so afraid to die? What were we before we existed? Fear of such things is dukkha, born of our self-centered and delusional way of looking at 'life'.

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    Perhaps we can see things from the perspective of the biologist. On the scale of an entire population, or an entire species, the death of an individual organism is insignificant, because there is continuance in the gene pool. On the even larger scale of evolution, death virtually doesn't exist or -at least- is indistinguishable from birth, because the birth/death rates of populations is what drives natural selection. There can't be any evolution without million-fold death.

In biology, we can identify a phenotype that appears to transmigrate between successive generations of organisms. It retains certain traits over time, but ultimately -due to mutation and other genetic/epigenetic mechanisms- the phenotype is subject to change. The transmigration of a permanent entity is therefore an illusion. There is no such entity, there is just as a cyclic process of (re-) birth and genetic transmission.

I find that the nonphysical aspects of existence, some would say "spiritual aspects", can be described in a similar way. The empirical self that we conceptualise in an autobiographical manner comes to an end at physical death of the body. However, certain traits of this empirical self appear to transmigrate in successive rebirths. But this is an illusion, because there is no real entity, since not even the transpersonal self is real. There is just a cyclic process of (re-) birth and karmic transmission.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    What is your definition of rebirth?

The mainstream one.
    I.e. not Buddhadhasas.

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Wow. I think every single aspect of the above quote contradicts at least one of the major tenets of Buddhism AND fails to answer the question. :crazy::lol:

No it does not contradict but support the necessity of understanding the Dhamma.

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Yet there's life?

Are you saying that there can be no life without death? You belive in literal rebirth then? Because it seems to be the implication.:skeptical

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    Is a belief in rebirth necessary to fully and effectively practice the 8-fold path? From a practical point of view I don't see that it is, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Please note the question is about our own beliefs on this issue and how they relate to our practice, not about what the Buddha taught which is a separate issue and the subject of another thread here.

P

The only belief that is necessary for the 8 fold path is a "belief" (confidence) in your own capacity to follow it.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Are you saying that there can be no life without death? You belive in literal rebirth then? Because it seems to be the implication.:skeptical
    Huh...? You're reading that wrong. Remove the rebirth goggles. When something is born, it will die; dependent origination; anicca.
    No it does not contradict but support the necessity of understanding the Dhamma.
    The Buddha taught there is no death? That life is suffering and we must escape it? :hrm:
    edited June 2010
    The mainstream one.
    I.e. not Buddhadhasas.

/Victor
    Can you please point me to a precise definition?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel you can see what he meant about no death in my post (in beginner forum June 15, 2010) with the 12 interdependent links as taught in the Jewel Ornament of Liberation..

Ignorance is the first link
    Mental Formations
    Consciousness
    Name and Form
    6 senses (including mind sense)
    contact
    feeling
    craving
    grasping
    existence
    birth
    Death is the last

By undoing the first link with wisdom of emptiness the last link is also undone in a chain reaction. Because if the self is empty then what dies? Its obviously not realized just so obviously and trightly as we experience all the bodily and mental suffering here and now. Wisdom of emptiness is quite a remarkable thing and it is always fused with great compassion.

The heart sutra also states that there is no birth and no death. As a consequence of emptiness of self.
    edited June 2010
    Huh...? You're reading that wrong. Remove the rebirth goggles. When something is born, it will die; dependent origination; anicca.
    oki. Almost got you though. :).
    The Buddha taught there is no death? That life is suffering and we must escape it? :hrm:

No the Buddha did not teach it. But if everybody had the perfect and ultimate view on the self (if everybody was born arahants) then Buddhism would not be necessary.

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Because if the self is empty then what dies?

What lives?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    No it does not contradict but [it] support the necessity of understanding the Dhamma.
    No the Buddha did not teach it. But if everybody had the perfect and ultimate view on the self (if everybody was born arahants) then Buddhism would not be necessary.

:eek2:
    edited June 2010
    Can you please point me to a precise definition?

Why?
    edited June 2010
    :eek2:
    :rockon:
    edited June 2010
    Why?
    Because I want to know why you think it isn't covered under the wrong views I quoted from the Brahmajala sutra.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What lives?
    It escapes description or analysis.. Nothing is gained by life and nothing is lost by death.. gain and loss are part of samsara (an illusury habit of mind). This is a guess on my part. Regretably I am not an enlightened master. :o
  • edited June 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    It escapes description or analysis.. Nothing is gained by life and nothing is lost by death.. gain and loss are part of samsara (an illusury habit of mind). This is a guess on my part. Regretably I am not an enlightened master. :o
    :uphand:
    edited June 2010
    Because I want to know why you think it isn't covered under the wrong views I quoted from the Brahmajala sutra.

I can see your point. This (the opposite acctually) was a very hard thing to do myself, to understand the view of somebody holding Buddhadhasas view on birth. Let me get back to you on that one.

Lets look at this one concerning why rebirth is not covered under the wrong views you quoted.

"They declare that the self after death is healthy and conscious and (1) material, (2) immaterial, (3) both material and immaterial, (4) neither material nor immaterial, (5) finite, (6) infinite, (7) both, (8) neither, (9) of uniform perception, (10) of varied perception, (l1) of limited perception, (12) of unlimited perception, (13) wholly happy, (14) wholly miserable, (15) both, (16) neither."

The wrong view here is that anybody would hold a belief in a self period. IMO of course.

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yeah erm I think we're all using terns very differently and speaking on different levels.
    edited June 2010
    Yeah erm I think we're all using terns very differently and speaking on different levels.

The web of illusions...;).
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yes oogie boogie boo.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Yes oogie boogie boo.
    Sutta reference please, Valtiel... or is that off-topic?

:crazy: :D
    edited June 2010
    Going back to the original question, is there an aspect of the 8-fold path where you feel a belief in rebirth is helpful or necessary? I'm not sure I can see one.

P
    edited June 2010
    I don't think there is.
    There is nothing in the Eightfold Path that I have ever found, that would imply such a direction.
    We are advised as to Right View and Right Intention, but neither alludes to matters we should take as read, or verbatim in such a belief or acceptance.
  • edited June 2010
    Going back to the original question, is there an aspect of the 8-fold path where you feel a belief in rebirth is helpful or necessary? I'm not sure I can see one.

Right view / samma ditthi.

Everything starts from right view and everything ends in right view. The entire path is a continuous refinement of one's understanding. As someone who has turned from agnostic/disbeliever with regard to rebirth to acceptance, I have to say this change of mind had a profound impact on my understanding of the dhamma. It became clear to me that this isn't just something they make up, something metaphorical, but it is exactly as described, very real indeed. It puts the dhamma into a larger and deeper perspective, at least for me.

Cheers, Thomas
This discussion has been closed.