Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Will wrote: »
    If suffering is not caused by birth

Physical birth is not the cause of suffering. What is the cause of suffering Will? Isn't it self clinging?

[FONT=&quot]Pubbenivasa[/FONT][FONT=&quot] means previous dwellings[/FONT] not necessarily past lives. The super mundane way to practice when confronted by past dwellings is this:
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Bhikkhus, any group of Samanas or Brahmins when recollecting pubbenivasa (previous dwellings), naturally recollect such previous dwellings in diverse numbers; in doing so, all of those Samanas and Brahmins recollect the five upadana-khandhas or any one of the five upadana-khandhas. What are these five? The five are …

[/FONT] [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect rupa (form) as "in the distant past we had a rupa like this."[/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vedana (feeling) as "in the distant past we had vedana like this."[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] .......[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica] Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vinyanaas "in the distant past we had a vinyana like this."[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Bhikkhus, for these reasons in this matter, any rupa whether past, future, or present; whether internal or external, coarse or refined, crude or subtle, distant or near; all these rupa should be seen with right wisdom according to reality that "this isn’t mine, this isn’t me, this isn’t my self."

[/FONT] [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica](The Buddha then covered vedana, sanya, sankhara, and vinyana in exactly the same terms.)[/FONT]

http://www.suanmokkh.org/archive/as/n10-45.htm
  • edited June 2010
    Self-clinging without birth? - you strain the obvious too much Deshy.

The online Pali dictionary says:
    pubbenivāsānussati: 'remembrance of former births', is one of the higher powers (abhiññā), and a factor of threefold knowledge (tevijja).

Supporting plainly and simply the MN 36 bodhi tree wisdom gained by Buddha.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

The Buddha eliminated all mental suffering while still being alive. Physical birth is never the problem. In spite of being born and being alive, by eliminating mental defilement you can free yourself from suffering in this lifetime.

Nivāsa [fr. nivasati2] stopping, dwelling, resting-- place, abode; living, sheltering

It does not necessarily have to be of a past life. Any past memory/past dwelling should be seen as not-self, merely as recollections of the five aggregates, not to be taken as me or my self. That's the message the sutta is giving, not this "enlightening rebirth wisdom" you seem to imply.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The first knowledge you have quoted from MN 36 is the knowledge of how self view arises and dies. It's not the knowledge of how beings get reborn from one womb to another. Why would such bizarre knowledge make the Buddha enlightened?
    .... I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell.

The first knowledge is the knowledge how self view arises.. Here's an example for the bold passage above:

An extremely angry man goes out and kills someone out of sheer ego possessiveness and once the born ego of the angry killer (he did me wrong so I should kill him) is dead he is born again (mental birth) as "guilty man who repents his own action". These are both two mental births one caused by the actions in the previous mental birth. The mental suffering he goes through now is due to his own misconduct aka his bad kamma from the previous mental birth. Thus beings get born (arising of the self view) again and again mentally from moment to moment in a single lifetime.

Seeing this here and now, with this knowledge, the Buddha saw the cause of all Dukkha which is mental clinging to self. Thus mental clinging is the cause of dukkha in the DO. Not physical birth.

The kind of knowledge you describe is obviously not what is meant here. It is apparent when you go through the Susima sutta that such realizations are not related to enlightenment

Susima sutta where Susima the wanderer asked these questions from the enlightened disciples of the Buddha

...do you hear — by means of the divine ear-element, purified & surpassing the human — both kinds of sounds: divine & human, whether near or far?"

"No, friend."

...do you recollect your manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand births, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here'?"

"No, friend."
  • edited June 2010
    Deshy: The first knowledge you have quoted from MN 36 is the knowledge of how self view arises and dies. It's not the knowledge of how beings get reborn from one womb to another. Why would such bizarre knowledge make the Buddha enlightened?

It alone did not and the sutta does not say so.

Only during the Third knowledge was there a transforming of the ascetic Prince into a Buddha.

You might ask yourself why Gautama turned his mind first to the question of his past lifetimes and secondly to the link between karma and rebirth.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

You might ask yourself why Gautama turned his mind first to the question of his past lifetimes and secondly to the link between karma and rebirth.

Will, I was talking about the first wisdom as that is related to the whole rebirth speculation. As I already explained, it refers to a mental phenomena not physical birth or rebirth.

But since you insist that it is not and since you say that the Buddha "plainly and simply" saw and realized how beings pass away from one life and re-arise in another life depending on their kamma, then could you please show me where he has explained such a scenario. How and what is reborn? Who is receiving karmic ramifications? If physical birth is dukkha how did he eliminate it while still being alive? Surely the Buddha could have explained those things having realized it first hand under the bo-tree.
  • edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Will, I was talking about the first wisdom as that is related to the whole rebirth speculation. As I already explained, it refers to a mental phenomena not physical birth or rebirth.

But since you insist that it is not and since you say that the Buddha "plainly and simply" saw and realized how beings pass away from one life and re-arise in another life depending on their kamma, then could you please show me where he has explained such a scenario. How and what is reborn? Who is receiving karmic ramifications? If physical birth is dukkha how did he eliminate it while still being alive? Surely the Buddha could have explained those things having realized it first hand under the bo-tree.

Actually Deshy, the MN 36 quote you used was from the Second knowledge, not the first.

I have rejected your explanation of mental rebirth based on the clear reading of MN 36 and many other places where Buddha taught physical rebirth. If you will not accept that fact, then I assume your questions above are rhetorical - which, of course, need no reply. If your questions are sincere, I suggest you study more and check with your guru.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Deshy surely has his own way of viewing Dharma.
    Who exactly are you conversing with here? :lol:
    If suffering is not caused by birth, one has a hard time getting evidence to support that.
    Did the Buddha live in suffering?
    Among we birther humans suffering is plainly there - so I think Buddha knew what he taught in his First Arya Truth.
    Yes, but to throw the word "birther" in there and then come to the conclusion that that then must be the cause of suffering, seems rather a stretch. Indeed, the Buddha surely must have known what he taught in his First Truth:
    Now what, friends, is the noble truth of stress? Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; not getting what is wanted is stressful. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful.
    And what is a clinging-aggregate?:
    Whatever [insert the various aggregates] — past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near — is clingable, offers sustenance, and is accompanied with mental fermentation: that is called [any of the given aggregates] as clinging-aggregate.

Now what is the noble truth of the origination of stress? The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensuality, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming... And what is the noble truth of the cessation of stress? The remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving.
    Now we must ask ourselves what, then, does "birth" here refer to given the summation of the First Noble Truth.
    Deshy wrote:
    Physical birth is not the cause of suffering. What is the cause of suffering Will? Isn't it self clinging?
    Honestly not sure what your point is here. Of course there is physical birth, and of course there cannot be self-clinging without physical birth. Could you please state the conclusion you're drawing from this? It seems you're suggesting that birth, then, inherently leads to self-clinging. The latter half of that sentence reads as "check-and-mate :coffee:" and yet I'm clearly missing something here.
    The online Pali dictionary says:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> pubbenivāsānussati: 'remembrance of former births', is one of the higher powers (abhiññā), and a factor of threefold knowledge (tevijja). </td></tr></tbody></table>
    The Pali Text Society's online dictionary states:
    Nivāsa [fr. nivasati<superscript>2</superscript>] stopping, dwelling, resting -- place, abode; living, sheltering J <smallcaps>i.</smallcaps>115 (˚ŋ kappeti to put up); <smallcaps>ii.</smallcaps>110; PvA 76, 78. Usually in phrase pubbe -- nivāsaŋ anussarati "to remember one's former abode or place of existence (in a former life),"
    Note that words in brackets are inferences made by the translators. Deshy provided a link in which the suttas state what is taking place when one remembers such things, whether from this life or seemingly a past life (you'll note, that this definition can indeed extend to "past lives").
    Actually Deshy, the MN 36 quote you used was from the Second knowledge, not the first.
    If your questions are sincere, I suggest you study more and check with your guru.
    I suggest you take your own advice and read the entirety of the Susima Sutta, in which all Three Knowledges are denied as having any relevance whatsover to Nibbana.
  • edited June 2010
    Here is a sutra where Buddha explains rebirth involving the alaya consciousness:

www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra18.html
  • edited June 2010
    Here is a sutra where Buddha explains rebirth involving the alaya consciousness:

That's if one accepts that Mahayana sutras were actually spoken by the historical Buddha of course. :)

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, but Mahayana sutras are of no relevance to me. The 8FP is common to all schools and so in my opinion we should only be referencing material common to all schools. It may be necessary to believe in rebirth in your tradition, but that wasn't the question of the OP.

I hope you will address my previous post.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ok guys. So the Mahayana Sutras have no relevance to some because they say the Buddha never spoke them, and they do to others because they say he did.*

So where does this go....

I think he didn't speak them, and they are relevant. That's beautiful no?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If you will not accept that fact, then I assume your questions above are rhetorical

My questions still apply.

1) How did he end suffering while still being alive if physical birth is the cause of suffering?

2) Are enlightened beings born again after death? :crazy: If not why?

As for the other questions, you have come up with this sutta.

Buddha did not teach about an "alaya consciousness" in any of the original pali suttas. Consciousness is arising based on physical sense bases and that fact is stated over and over again in so many suttas.

So this is your explanation to what is reborn and how it is reborn and who receives karmmic ramifications besides the fact that you are just believing rebirth because there are some suttas out there where he has spoken of rebirth for morality. I'm not surprised.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Who exactly are you conversing with here? :lol:

:lol:
  • edited June 2010
    This site and this thread are read by many, so my posts are for all - not just the carpers.

The sutra posted above is just one explanation Buddha gave. There are other Dharmic explanations and can be found and posted by anyone, with a little effort.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    I think he didn't speak them

I'm not surprised :D
  • edited June 2010
    This site and this thread are read by many, so my posts are for all - not just the carpers.

It would be wise to note that the posts of people you refer to as "carpers" are also for all to read and hopefully contemplate. :)

edited June 2010
    I'm not surprised :D
    I do not believe Gotama Buddha spoke the Mahayana sutras. No flower on Vulture peak either. Yet the living Dharma is not bound to him and his time IMV.
    Others have a different view and thats that.:D
  • edited June 2010
    I do not believe Gotama Buddha spoke the Mahayana sutras. No flower on Vulture peak either.

Well said, Richard. _/|\_

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

I suggest you take your own advice and read the entirety of the Susima Sutta, in which all Three Knowledges are denied as having any relevance whatsover to Nibbana.

Good advice. Plus I will be interested to know your answers for the question you have been asked Will
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yet the living Dharma is not bound to his words IMV.

No. Only it won't be the Buddha's Dhamma. At least don't present some unverifiable fantasy story as Dhamma ...

Ok I'm signing off for the day before a can o worms get opened :D
    edited June 2010
    No. Only it won't be the Buddha's Dhamma. At least don't present some unverifiable fantasy story as Dhamma ...

Ok I'm signing off for the day before a can o worms get opened :D
    Ah I changed the wording of the post before you posted this, but yes. That is my view, and now it's time to open a can of....whoop ass!!.

only kidding. Look at it this way, If the Historical Buddha was the only Enlightened being and everyone who came after was just a schlep up until this day, then gilding his words and worshipping his alleged tooth would make sense I guess. But to my mind he cut a path that others followed, others who practiced well. Others who were not mere mimics but living people in different places and times. There is creativity in life. There is wisdom in both Theravada and Mahayana, to denigrate either is just plain stupid, reeeeally stupid. El Stupido. Not good.

But thats just one turkey's view. :lol:

all in fun eh...
    edited June 2010
    haaaaving said that. A grounding in Theravadin teaching as taught by the wonderful people in the Thai Forest Tradition is increasingly essential to the Zen practice.

so.. different strokes
    edited June 2010
    Oh, apparently in Buddhism (as a whole) a case can be made for Rebirth if your looking for it. Not needed IMV.
  • edited June 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    It would be wise to note that the posts of people you refer to as "carpers" are also for all to read and hopefully contemplate. :).

And then reject - hopefully.
  • edited June 2010
    And then reject - hopefully.

Whatever Will. Some prefer to keep an open mind free from speculation and superstitions.

Be well and at ease. :)

• edited June 2010
    Back to the benefit of rebirth to daily practice.

Enough merit to benefit us and provide a foundation, can only be accrued over many lifetimes. Buddha did gather much merit and advised us to do the same. If one does not think we have more than this one lifetime, there will be little motive to work for merit. And merit gained in this one lifetime will not be enough.

This is from the study guide on Merit from Access to Insight:
    This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "Monks, don't be afraid of acts of merit. This is another way of saying what is blissful, desirable, pleasing, endearing, charming — i.e., acts of merit. I am cognizant that, having long performed meritorious deeds, I long experienced desirable, pleasing, endearing, charming results.

Having developed a mind of good will for seven years, then for seven aeons of contraction & expansion I didn't return to this world. Whenever the aeon was contracting, I went to the realm of Streaming Radiance. Whenever the aeon was expanding, I reappeared in an empty Brahma-abode. There I was the Great Brahman, the Unconquered Conqueror, All-seeing, & Wielder of Power. Then for thirty-six times I was Sakka, ruler of the gods. For many hundreds of times I was a king, a wheel-turning emperor, a righteous king of Dhamma, conqueror of the four corners of the earth, maintaining stable control over the countryside, endowed with the seven treasures — to say nothing of the times I was a local king.

The thought occurred to me: 'Of what action of mine is this the fruit, of what action the result, that I now have such great power & might?' Then the thought occurred to me: 'This is the fruit of my three [types of] action, the result of three types of action, that I now have such great power & might: i.e., generosity, self-control, & restraint.'"

Train in acts of merit
    that bring long-lasting bliss —
    develop generosity,
    a life in tune,
    a mind of good-will.
    Developing these
    three things
    that bring about bliss,
    the wise reappear
    in a world of bliss
    unalloyed.
    Iti 22
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Enough merit to benefit us and provide a foundation, can only be accrued over many lifetimes. Buddha did gather much merit and advised us to do the same. If one does not think we have more than this one lifetime, there will be little motive to work for merit. And merit gained in this one lifetime will not be enough.
    How do you count your merit, Will? Is it possible you have enough merit already and could realize Nibbana before you die?
    And merit gained in this one lifetime will not be enough.
    If there is only one life, then your logic doesn't follow, as clearly the Buddha would have realized Nibbana in one life as well.
    If one does not think we have more than this one lifetime, there will be little motive to work for merit.
    Is merit the only motivation for practice?
  • edited June 2010
    Bhikkhu Pesala comments on a line in the Great Blessing Sutta that says Merit from past lives is a great blessing:
    5. Good Deeds Done in the Past
    To have the power to choose where we live, and to choose our associates, we need to have done merits in the past. It is very rare to meet the Buddha and his teaching. Even if we are born in a Buddhist country, a truly wise teacher is hard to come across, and his time is always in great demand. One who has done many meritorious deeds is born in a devout Buddhist family and gets many opportunities to learn and practice the Dhamma.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ok, well, if you're just going to keep posting past me instead of engaging in an actual discussion, I'll assume you cannot answer my questions and will leave it at that. Take care.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The monk in his avatar looks super-cool, though.
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Thought the same thing. Bet he can kick ass if he has to.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, well, if you're just going to keep posting past me instead of engaging in an actual discussion, I'll assume you cannot answer my questions and will leave it at that. Take care.

No need to "assume". I will tell you that I see a very stiff mind, like unworked leather. Thus I will not respond to your questions.
  • edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

The late Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua, my Master.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    No need to "assume". I will tell you that I see a very stiff mind, like unworked leather. Thus I will not respond to your questions.
    How wannabe-Buddha-ish of you. Well, it sure is convenient, anyway. =P A tragedy for you to withhold the true Dhamma from us all... it's odd to see a "stiff mind" in someone who's asking to hear your reasoning and opinion, but like I said, it is convenient.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

Oh how disappointing. Will has officially and conveniently refused to explain Dhamma
  • edited June 2010
    Oh how disappointing. Will has officially and conveniently refused to explain Dhamma

Probably because in him ....
    I see a very stiff mind, like unworked leather
    :D

• edited June 2010
    How wannabe-Buddha-ish of you. Well, it sure is convenient, anyway. =P A tragedy for you to withhold the true Dhamma from us all... it's odd to see a "stiff mind" in someone who's asking to hear your reasoning and opinion, but like I said, it is convenient.

I have already given you the Dharma as best I know it. You rejected it and continue to quibble.

Fare thee well
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If you refuse to answer a few basic questions I have which cause me great doubt, then I am forced to assume you do not understand it well enough yourself--and indeed this seems to be the case given your last post. There are flaws in your logic as to its (belief in rebirth) necessity in practice which you refuse to address. Pasting sutras from a tradition I do not practice and telling me I should believe in rebirth because these sutras say that the Buddha did is not helpful and just more examples of authoritarianism. This is not quibbling, and to dismiss it as such is just arrogant. There are many teachers who I respect, just as you respect yours, who deny its relevance. And from my studies and practice I must agree. You've given me no reason to accept its necessity to the 8FP any more than a Christian gives reason to believe in God and Heaven and Hell and a soul... that is, you're asking me to believe in it blindly and against my logic.

Fare thee well.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have already given you the Dharma as best I know it. You rejected it and continue to quibble.

Fare thee well

I do not see any explanation from you for the specific questions you were asked except repeated claims that rebirth exists and why it is important to believe it. When confronted with specific quetsions you have withdrawn without giving any answers relevant to the questions.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    ... to denigrate either ...

Which I didn't. I understand each following has its purpose. Teaching of rebirth has its purpose. Following God also has its purpose

But I refuse to accept that "unverifiable faith and believes" are a part of the super mundane practice.
    "Bhikkhus, you who know thus and see thus, would your mind run to the past: 'Was I in the past or was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what did I become?'"

"No, venerable sir."

"Bhikkhus, would you who know and see thus, run to the future: 'Will I be in the future, or will I not be in the future? What will I be in the future? How will I be in the future? Having been what, what will I become?'"

"No, venerable sir."

"Bhikkhus, would you who know and see thus have doubts about the present: 'Am I, or am I not? What am I? How am I? Where did this being come from? Where will it go?'"

"No, venerable sir."
    ….

"Good, O, Bhikkhus, I have led you in this Dhamma which is visible here and now, timeless, open to inspection, leading onwards and to be experienced by the wise for themselves. It was in reference to this that it was said: 'Bhikkhus, this Dhamma is visible here and now, timeless, open to inspection, leading onwards and to be experienced by the wise for themselves'."

MN 38
    edited June 2010
    You rejected it and continue to quibble.
    Marginalization again. These are not quibbles at all.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Strong belief in rebirth normally comes from a desire for continued existence not necessarily insights/realizations partial or semi direct. Dhamma is not "beliefs". It's verifiable facts. How can you fully relinquish while still holding on to rebirth fantasies that "I will be born again in so and so realms"? Strong belief in continued existence entertains self-clinging for the most part.

Attachment to any strong belief whether it is in rebirth, no rebirth or neither belief nor disbelief in rebirth is a hinderance to reach the goal.

That is why your question is irrelevant.

Would you not agree?

This is not about me. This is about the right cultivation for Nibbana. But since you asked, and as you have already been told,
    ...Ok mam, sorry mam.
    I neither believe nor disbelieve rebirth. I don't care if life continues or not simply because being born is not the cause of my suffering.

Strongly attached to this belief are you?;).

And how does one suffer without being born?

It is highly unlikely that the Buddha taught metaphysical rebirth as a fact.

Why is that unlikely?

And how does somebody discern that a fact is a fact in Buddhas teaching?
    He only taught moral rebirth to those who already believed in it and they were normally not interested in enlightenment but just where they would be born in the next life. Thus it was favorable to direct their faith into moral conduct rather than teach them not-self.

Are you suggesting that the Buddha fooled people? He taught a practise he did not believe himself? To lure them inte behaving properly? Is that not a bit devious even?

The Buddha had advised his disciples not to blindly believe in anything. As Palzang rightly said, "belief" has no place in super mundane cultivation if that is what you are interested in

Visible here and now

I know for a fact that most people argueing againts literal rebirth likes to translate the word Jati in Pali as Birth of the self rather than its normal translation which is Birth.

Could you then please show me how it is visible here and now that Jati should be translated as Birth of the self? And how that is a fact you use to cultivate the supermundane path?

Or is it maybe rather a strong belief on your part?

And maybe there is a rather big possibility that the Buddha did teach literal rebirth since it is mentioned in pretty many suttas?

:cool:

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Strongly attached to this belief are you?;).
    Well it's a view, but, yeah, I agree with what you're saying.
    And how does one suffer without being born?
    Obviously, without birth/life there can be no suffering. That doesn't make it a cause. That would imply life is inherent suffering and this is not something the Buddha taught. There can be life with dukkha. There can be life without dukkha.
    Are you suggesting that the Buddha fooled people? He taught a practise he did not believe himself? To lure them inte behaving properly? Is that not a bit devious even?
    He believed in its potential to encourage moral behaviour and inspire people. We've been through this before. Clw_uk posted ages ago on the forum:
    The Buddha has states why he teaches rebirth post mortem
    MN 68
    "So, Anuruddha, it is not for the purpose of scheming to deceive people or for the purpose of flattering people or for the purpose of gain, honour, and renown, or with the thought " let people know me to be thus", that when a disciple has died, the Tathagata declares his reappearance thus "so-and-so has reappeared in such-and-such a place" Rather, it is because there are faithful clansmen inspired and gladdened by what is lofty, who when they hear that, direct their minds to such a state, and that leads to their welfare and happiness for a long time"

lofty
    Adjective
    [loftier, loftiest]
    1. of majestic or imposing height
    2. morally admirable: lofty ideals
    3. unpleasantly superior: a lofty contempt

It helps lead people to be moral, which helps them to progress to the Buddhas own teachings, the 4 noble truths (if they want to or can)
    I know for a fact that most people argueing againts literal rebirth likes to translate the word Jati in Pali as Birth of the self rather than its normal translation which is Birth.

Could you then please show me how it is visible here and now that Jati should be translated as Birth of the self? And how that is a fact you use to cultivate the supermundane path?
    No, we translate it simply as "birth" as it is written. A natural tendency is to assume this refers to our physical birth. But one must use common sense and explore the arising of dukkha themselves, and not assume either way, in order to understand its meaning.

You are speaking of it within the context of DO which is the highest teaching in the Dhamma. It is meant to illustrate the arising of suffering. Often, the last Nidana is left out and it is shown to end with "death." In reality, it states: "birth, aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. Such is the origination of this entire mass of suffering & stress."

Does dukkha only arise with physical death?

But, we have referenced numerous suttas in support of all this. I don't think it gets much clearer than this: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.044.than.html

I am not denying he spoke of rebirth. Even if he spoke of it as literal truth, that is as irrelevant as if he had stated "there is gravity." The question of the Thread, is whether or not it's necessary to believe in it. In my opinion it doesn't really matter either way. As the suttas state repeatedly, one is "released simply through discernment," and "it is enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released.'

Again, I hope Will will now answer our questions, but I somehow doubt it.
  • edited June 2010
    If there is such a strong desire to know the truth of rebirth, then lay down the texts, lay down your views, open your eyes and your mind to life and see. Words do not make a thing so... reality makes words so, and they are very poor indeed at describing it.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Tass, :)

Welcome to the forum.

This Thread is not about proving or disproving rebirth through scriptural analysis, logic, or personal experiential insight. It's merely about whether or not belief in it is -essential- to the path to realizing Nibbana, to the ending of suffering.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you for the welcome. As I do not have an answer to whether it is "essential", I'll refrain from further posting. I do however doubt that you will ever find a satisfactory answer to the question, as who is there you would "believe" about it in the first place?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    If you're not changing, you're not practicing.

Palzang

Very true. That also applies to our views and beliefs.

P
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    As Buddhists we practice to overcome craving, attachment to desire, the cause of suffering. How does believing in rebirth help us to to do this?

P
    edited June 2010
    Ironically, believing in rebirth can be the cause of suffering, as this thread amply shows.
This discussion has been closed.