Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    The Right View of Rebirth is whatever your school/tradition (teacher) says it is, for that is the transmission of that school/tradition. It is not what you want to believe; rather if you want to believe one way you should choose a school/tradition that has the same view.

I'm going to get out of this thread, which is futile. :) I hope someone learns something from all of this, otherwise there truly will be no merit to this thread at all.

Namaste

Name one existing Buddhist school or lineage more than 100 years old that denies or denigrates literal rebirth.

Since there is none, it is patent that denial or ignoring of literal rebirth is strictly a egotistic hangup of modern times - the era of the Giant Me.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Why bother with that now? If you have faith or confidence in 90% of the Dharma now, just open your heart a little more and include rebirth.

Certainty of truth or validation comes after much practice & many lives - not before.

I am totally confident about the existance of rebirth. I have no problem with rebirth. But you are asking a lot of people who have no means to validate Rebirth and still have Trust in the Dhamma to get the H*ll out of Dodge because they express their true understanding of rebirth.

Namely that they have no recollection of it and no direct insight of it. Is that fair?

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    I am totally confident about the existance of rebirth. I have no problem with rebirth. But you are asking a lot of people who have no means to validate Rebirth and still have Trust in the Dhamma to get the H*ll out of Dodge because they express their true understanding of rebirth.

Namely that they have no recollection of it and no direct insight of it. Is that fair?

/Victor

Where did I write anything about "getting out of Dodge"?

The OP was whether one's practice would be "effective" without faith or understanding of literal rebirth and I said no and then gave some reasons.

What people choose to practice and how is up to them. I am just advocating common sense - to follow what 2500 years of tradition practiced and believed - and not to ignore what Buddha taught & knew to be true.

I have no direct recollection of Buddha nor any of the ancient sages - should I just stay with a Path of my own invention or perhaps Mormonism or Scientology?
    edited June 2010
    Name one existing Buddhist school or lineage more than 100 years old that denies or denigrates literal rebirth.

Since there is none, it is patent that denial or ignoring of literal rebirth is strictly a egotistic hangup of modern times - the era of the Giant Me.

Have you read Opus the comic?

He is a penguin living in his tribe on the south pole. When the american F18 planes are on manouver all two million penguins of his tribe watch.

When the air plane flies from left to right two million heads turn from left to right.

When the air plane flies from right to left two million heads turn fron right to left.

And when the ariplane flies from the front to back two million penguins fall on their arses.

Moral of the story? Even if two million penguins do the wrong thing it is still the wrong thing to do.

Do you have another (better) argument?:)

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Where did I write anything about "getting out of Dodge"?

Here I think!?

"If one is agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth, the why are you here?"

Maybe I am wrong.
    The OP was whether one's practice would be "effective" without faith or understanding of literal rebirth and I said no and then gave some reasons.

What people choose to practice and how is up to them. I am just advocating common sense - to follow what 2500 years of tradition practiced and believed - and not to ignore what Buddha taught & knew to be true.

I have no direct recollection of Buddha nor any of the ancient sages - should I just stay with a path of my own invention or perhaps Mormonism or Scientology?

Peace Will. I was just wondering about your argument. I will have to think on this. :).

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    Here I think!?

"If one is agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth, the why are you here?"

Maybe I am wrong.

Peace Will. I was just wondering about your argument. I will have to think on this. :).

/Victor

Yes you are wrong, but I should have clarified. "Why are you in the body, why were your born" NOT "why dare post here." I will go back and edit.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

/Victor

Do you have direct insight of rebirth Victor?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If one rejects the Dharma of literal rebirth which Buddha taught, then how much confidence can one have in whatever "Dharma" practice one uses?

It's a shame these debates always get so polarised. I don't reject rebirth, and I don't argue that the Buddha didn't teach it. It's just that I don't currently have an active belief in rebirth. Note the use of "currently".
    It sounds like for you that belief in rebirth is an important motivational factor. That's fine, but please be aware that not everyone approaches dharma in the same way. Some tolerance would be appreciated.

P
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Do you have direct insight of rebirth Victor?

What do you mean by direct insight Deshy?

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What do you mean by direct insight Deshy?

/Victor

I don't know. You said
    I am totally confident about the existance of rebirth. I have no problem with rebirth.

and then you said
    people who have no means to validate Rebirth ....

Namely that they have no recollection of it and no direct insight of it

So I figured the fact that you are so sure of rebirth is because you must have had "recollection of it and direct insight" of it.
    edited June 2010
    I don't know.

I see you want to know whether I have had direct insight according to my own definition of direct insight?

Then my answer would be yes I have had partly verifiable direct insight, unverifiable indirect insight and verifiable semidirect insight.

All from my own point of view considering what is verifiable and not.

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Well, an interesting discussion.:) I think the differences of opinion probably stem from different ways of defining Right View and Right Intention.

P
    edited June 2010
    Then my answer would be yes I have had partly verifiable direct insight, unverifiable indirect insight and verifiable semidirect insight.

/Victor

:confused:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have had partly verifiable direct insight, unverifiable indirect insight and verifiable semidirect insight.

/Victor

Pretty convincing is it? Would you care to share some of these partly verifiable, semi direct, direct and indirect (whatever) insights for the rest of us please?
    edited June 2010
    Pretty convincing is it? Would you care to share some of these partly verifiable, semi direct, direct and indirect (whatever) insights for the rest of us please?

Nope, not in a million lifes.

:p

Whats up Deshy. You got a goldfish memory between threads? :lol:

I remember you (and others) asking me the same question a couple of times in The Other Rebirth Thread. You know the one I mean right? :D

And I am pretty sure I answered no each time and explained why.

Lets not go into that all over again ok? It leads nowhere and is not relavant to this thread.

/Victor
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Sorry Vic. if you're not prepared to pick up the puck and skate with it, drop it.

If you're going to make statements of this nature, there is no reason whatsoever to then get all coy.
    Either discuss it or don't.

Don't start making claims of whatever nature, then dangle the "Ah but well it's all so mysterious" in front of everyone.

In simple basic terms - either put it up - or shut it up.
    edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Sorry Vic. if you're not prepared to pick up the puck and skate with it, drop it.

If you're going to make statements of this nature, there is no reason whatsoever to then get all coy.
    Either discuss it or don't.

Don't start making claims of whatever nature, then dangle the "Ah but well it's all so mysterious" in front of everyone.

In simple basic terms - either put it up - or shut it up.

Fair enough.

I do believe in rebirth but can not think of any reason why it should be compulsory to belive in rebirth to cultivate.

End of story. That is all that is relevant for this thread.

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    You're right Vic, it's not compulsory. That's the answer to the thread. :)

Either belief, whether literal or metaphorical, can lead to stream-entry; even ignorance of rebirth. If after stream-entry you've gained insights that change your former belief, you can deal with it then. It's not necessary to be 'right' about rebirth in the beginning; this is why all schools of Buddhism (even the new ones) are still 'correct' in their teachings.

This is why we are allowed to view it either way.

Namaste
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

I remember you (and others) asking me the same question a couple of times in The Other Rebirth Thread. You know the one I mean right? :D

And they will continue to ask if you continue to bring up claims that "I am absolutely convinced of rebirth because I have personal experience/insight/semi direct insight/partially semi indirect unverifiable insight etc. of rebirth which other people do not have which is why they are not so convinced of rebirth". If you say so then the obvious next question is "what are those insights?"
    edited June 2010
    And they will continue to ask if you continue to bring up claims that "I am absolutely convinced of rebirth because I have personal experience/insight/semi direct insight/partially semi indirect unverifiable insight etc. of rebirth which other people do not have which is why they are not so convinced of rebirth". If you say so then the obvious next question is "what are those insights?"

...because you do not remember the answer from the last thread from two weeks ago or something...? Would you want me to PM a link?

If you are having resentful feelings towards me Deshy for some reason then why do you not PM me and we can sort it out instead of polluting this thread further.

/Victor

EDIT:

PS

In the above I think my anger with your question dictated my writing.
    I am truly sorry if I have offended you in any way now or before Deshy.

My experiences are too personal for public viewing and they would in any case not convince anybody else but me. So there is no gain for anybody and only loss of integrity for me in disclosing my experiences.

I apologize again.

/Victor
    DS.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    23486784pGAmDRFbBu_ph.jpg

When people asked Luang Pu about death and rebirth, or about past and future lives, he was never interested in answering. Or if some people argued that they didn't believe that heaven or hell really existed, he never tried to reason with them or to cite evidence to defeat their arguments. Instead, he'd give them this piece of advice:

"People who practice the Dhamma don't have to give any thought to past or future lives, or to heaven or hell. All they have to do is be firm and intent on practicing correctly in line with the principles of virtue, concentration, and discernment. If there really are 16 levels of heaven as they say in the texts, people who practice well are sure to rise to those levels. Or if heaven and nibbana don't exist, people who practice well don't lack for benefits here and now. They're sure to be happy, as human beings on a high level.

"Listening to what other people say, looking things up in the texts, can't resolve your doubts. You have to put effort into the practice to give rise to clear insight knowledge. That's when doubt will be totally resolved on its own."

Venerable Luang Pu Dune Atulo
    Gifts He Left Behind: The Dhamma Legacy of Ajaan Dune Atulo

gassho.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    ...because you do not remember the answer from the last thread from two weeks ago or something...?

I'll repeat, IF you continue to claim certain things based on your personal insights again and again then there is a chance that you will be asked to state them over and over again.

My experiences are too personal for public viewing and they would in any case not convince anybody else but me. So there is no gain for anybody and only loss of integrity for me in disclosing my experiences.

Personal experiences can be delusive, memories can be scattered, misleading and depending on the circumstance people can get numerous perceptions about incidences. These stories are hardly valid evidence for the existence of rebirth. If you yourself feel that they are not convincing to anyone else (I am not surprised) then maybe you should refrain from referring to them in the forums? Because, if you do, then it is inevitable that someone down the line will request you to reveal your realizations.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010

If you are having resentful feelings towards me Deshy for some reason then why do you not PM me and we can sort it out instead of polluting this thread further.

:crazy:

I have no resentful feeling towards you and you are most welcome to PM me anytime you want
    edited June 2010
    I'll repeat, IF you continue to claim certain things based on your personal insights again and again then there is a chance that you will be asked to state them over and over again.

Personal experiences can be delusive, memories can be scattered, misleading and depending on the circumstance people can get numerous perceptions about incidences. These stories are hardly valid evidence for the existence of rebirth. If you yourself feel that they are not convincing to anyone else (I am not surprised) then maybe you should refrain from referring to them in the forums? Because, if you do, then it is inevitable that someone down the line will request you to reveal your realizations.

Alright fisticuffs it is then...at dawn.

Muahahaha aha aha...:crazy:.

/Victorious
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    There is no fight here. I am just saying that you stand the risk of these types of questions by continuing to state something which you are not ready to explain further. Anyway moving forward ....
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Alright fisticuffs it is then...at dawn.

Muahahaha aha aha...:crazy:.

Dude, like, sarcasm and joking is so totally inappropriate on a Buddhism forum. :crazy:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    kitten_karate-13076.jpg
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why bother with that now?

This is a technique of manipulation known as marginalization. It's certainly a concern worth bothering about.
    If you have faith or confidence in 90% of the Dharma now, just open your heart a little more and include rebirth.
    This is a non sequitur.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010

Since there is none, it is patent that denial or ignoring of literal rebirth is strictly a egotistic hangup of modern times
    This is authoritarianism. Why should we give authority to ancient lineages?
    the era of the Giant Me.
    This is belittlement without any established basis.
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Dude, like, sarcasm and joking is so totally inappropriate on a Buddhism forum. :crazy:

I am learning from the great Masters of that dicipline. :cool:.

Precarious
    Victorious
    edited June 2010
    There is no fight here. I am just saying that you stand the risk of these types of questions by continuing to state something which you are not ready to explain further. Anyway moving forward ....

Who said there is a fight? Of course there is no fight. You do not need to watch your back on account of little me.

:ninja:

Dubious
    Victorious

neo.jpg
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You do not need to watch your back on account of little me.

Thanks for the reassurance.

BigDog_LittleDog.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    it is patent that denial or ignoring of literal rebirth is strictly a egotistic hangup of modern times - the era of the Giant Me.

That really doesn't make any sense. Constantly reaffirming belief in oneself being reborn is surely attaching to 'me'.., rather than just letting it go and focusing on the present -which is actually all there is right now!

• edited June 2010
    I'm not going to knock one view or the other, because that's divisive and they can both lead to stream-entry and beyond, but I will agree that whoever stated denying literal rebirth is somehow the self-born of the two views.....(lol). I agree with Dazzle. :)

Namaste
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    they can both lead to stream-entry and beyond

Can someone reach an ego-less state like Nibbana while still harboring a strong belief in life after death?
  • edited June 2010
    That I don't know, it's way beyond my pay grade Desh. :) All I know is that despite what some think, or would want you to think, you don't need to be 'right' on all things in the beginning. It was never meant to be that way and people who state that can negatively affect others.

And so to state one must believe in rebirth one way or the other is Wrong Speech; it is divisive, not necessary, and could drive those away who can not view it in the way they are told they must (to each self its own).

Namaste
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I was just asking as your comment seems to suggest that complete relinquishment can happen while still having hopes for continued existence
  • edited June 2010
    That I don't know, and I didn't mean to imply that. What I am saying is that either view of rebirth, or in fact no view at all (ignorance of the term/concept), can still lead to stream-entry as long as one practices and understands that which is the Noble Eightfold Path, most importantly including Vipassana to bring it all together.

After stream-entry, there is a paradigm shift in thinking that gives greater clarity and allows one, though still possessed of a 'self', to acknowledge reality's selfless nature internally. Whatever that 'selfless nature' beholds for the stream-winner is not necessary or helpful to be taught on the mundane level, because as I've said.....some can not view rebirth initially in one or the other way.

If one were to say rebirth must be viewed metaphorically, all of those who have a self-view that must include an afterlife will not come to Buddhism. If one were to say rebirth must be viewed literally, all of those who have a self-view that must not include an afterlife will not come to Buddhism.

Since either view can lead to stream-entry, and from stream-entry the 'correct' reality can be more clearly seen, it is of no benefit.....and quite divisive and harmful to the chances of many to become Buddhists to seek liberation.....to say definitively that rebirth must be viewed in one way and not the other.

Any who make this distinction, who say it must be viewed in one way and not the other, are doing much harm while thinking they are speaking rightly or that they are somehow helping people. They're not, and that's what is sad about all of this.

Namaste
    edited June 2010
    Can someone reach an ego-less state like Nibbana while still harboring a strong belief in life after death?

Could you please explain how that question is relevant?

And explain in what way it differs from the following question?

Can someone reach an ego-less state like Nibbana while still harboring a strong belief in no life after death?

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    That question is relevant based on the comment it was quoted for. Read the comment and then the question.

Noone said you should believe there is "no life" after death. You seem to think that everyone who doesn't believe in rebirth believe that there is no rebirth. There are some who do not blindly believe in anything at all
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Fair enough.

I do believe in rebirth but can not think of any reason why it should be compulsory to belive in rebirth to cultivate.

End of story. That is all that is relevant for this thread.

/Victor

It's like saying you need to believe in ice-cream to skate. Or gravity. :rolleyes: Let them argue if they are interested.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It's like saying you need to believe in ice-cream to skate. Or gravity. :rolleyes: Let them argue if they are interested.
    :confused:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why not? I am pretty sure He is a Buddhist!!;)

/Victor
    Of course he is! Don't you watch South Park?!

Right view is not about "believing" anything. Right view is following the teachings of the Buddha without putting your own spin on things so that they are more agreeable to your way of thinking, i.e. not likely to cause you to change. Change is what Buddhism is all about. If you're not changing, you're not practicing.

Palzang
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    If you're not changing, you're not practicing.

Well said... this line gave me the goosebumps! :)

With Thanks,

Matt
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think calamine lotion is good for that... :D

Palzang
    edited June 2010
    That question is relevant based on the comment it was quoted for. Read the comment and then the question.
    I did but to no avail. Let me rephrase so you understand my question.

Do you believe somebody holding strong belief in something (anything at all) can reach enlightenment?

Noone said you should believe there is "no life" after death. You seem to think that everyone who doesn't believe in rebirth believe that there is no rebirth.
    That is neither my belief nor implication.
    There are some who do not blindly believe in anything at all

Really would that include you? Would you say you do not believe blindly in anything at all?

/Victor
    edited June 2010

:lol:

With the right mind everything is cultivation though...;)

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Palzang wrote: »

Right view is following the teachings of the Buddha without putting your own spin on things so that they are more agreeable to your way of thinking, i.e. not likely to cause you to change. Change is what Buddhism is all about.

Palzang

!

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I did but to no avail. Let me rephrase so you understand my question.

Do you believe somebody holding strong belief in something (anything at all) can reach enlightenment?

Strong belief in rebirth normally comes from a desire for continued existence not necessarily insights/realizations partial or semi direct. Dhamma is not "beliefs". It's verifiable facts. How can you fully relinquish while still holding on to rebirth fantasies that "I will be born again in so and so realms"? Strong belief in continued existence entertains self-clinging for the most part.

Really would that include you? Would you say you do not believe blindly in anything at all?

This is not about me. This is about the right cultivation for Nibbana. But since you asked, and as you have already been told, I neither believe nor disbelieve rebirth. I don't care if life continues or not simply because being born is not the cause of my suffering. The cause of suffering is in this moment thus Nibbana is here an now.

It is highly unlikely that the Buddha taught metaphysical rebirth as a fact. He only taught moral rebirth to those who already believed in it and they were normally not interested in enlightenment but just where they would be born in the next life. Thus it was favorable to direct their faith into moral conduct rather than teach them not-self. Rebirth teachings fall under mundne Dhamma. It has very little to do with Nibbana.

The Buddha had advised his disciples not to blindly believe in anything. As Palzang rightly said, "belief" has no place in super mundane cultivation if that is what you are interested in
    “Bhikkhus, knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Teacher is respected by us. We speak as we do out of respect for the Teacher'?”

“No, venerable sir.”

“Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this Dhamma, which is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves.

For it was with reference to this that it has been said: ‘Bhikkhus, this Dhamma is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves.

MN 38

Visible here and now
  • edited June 2010
    Deshy surely has his own way of viewing Dharma. If suffering is not caused by birth, one has a hard time getting evidence to support that. The contrary, that non-birth is free of suffering is also rather tricky to support. Among we birther humans suffering is plainly there - so I think Buddha knew what he taught in his First Arya Truth.

As for his not teaching "metaphysical" rebirth (whatever that is) he did teach & know the truth of physical rebirth - as MN 36 says:
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two... five, ten... fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion: 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details.

"This was the first knowledge I attained in the first watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the passing away & reappearance of beings. I saw — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech & mind, who did not revile the noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world.' Thus — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — I saw beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma.

"This was the second knowledge I attained in the second watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.
This discussion has been closed.