Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

123457»

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Nonetheless, if you strongly believe in life after death, it is wise to investigate where this belief is comming from.

It seems like the most obvious hypothesis to me based on the evidence I have seen. I don't know with 100% certainty (if I did, then it wouldn't be a belief) but I am at least 99% covinced that rebirth is true.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    It seems like the most obvious hypothesis to me based on the evidence I have seen. I don't know with 100% certainty (if I did, then it wouldn't be a belief) but I am at least 99% covinced that rebirth is true.

Well, maybe it's true :)
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Let's take an example like nibbana. Is it scientifically verifiable? Did the Buddha say it is a subjective reality which differs from person to person or did he say it is a direct insight which the wise should see for themselves and verify for themselves? Buddhist insights are probably only provable to oneself. Others can be guided

So then you do agree that insight into something does not need to be scientifically verifiable to be verifiable to an individual?

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    So then you do agree that insight into something does not need to be scientifically verifiable to be verifiable to an individual?

/Victor

I can see where this is going ...

The Buddha gave clear guidance as to how one should practice in order to verify nibbana here and now. You follow the instructions and verify it to yourself. You have been given the road map.

Now, let's take an example like rebirth. Is rebirth an insight as some people believe will "happen" when you attain nibbana? Well according to the susima sutta, it's probably not.

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you recollect your manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand births, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here'?"

"No, friend."
    Do you have clear instructions to give to people so that we can follow those instructions and see its truth (truth of rebirth) for ourselves? Do these so called "rebirth insights" normally take the form of just personal experiences that you probably cannot even explain to yourself properly? Do you agree that there is a difference between Buddhist insights and personal memories?
    edited July 2010
    Now, let's take an example like rebirth. Is rebirth an insight as some people believe will "happen" when you attain nibbana? Well according to the susima sutta, it's probably not.

I would say it is definitly (probability 1) not necessary to have insight into past lives to attain Nibbana according to the Susima sutta. And/But It says nothing about probability of such experiences during the path.
    Do you have clear instructions to give to people so that we can follow those instructions and see its truth (truth of rebirth) for ourselves?
    Almost. I had when I followed them but that was some years ago. But I could probably brush them up.
    Do these so called "rebirth insights" normally take the form of just personal experiences that you probably cannot even explain to yourself properly?
    No. You forget those rebirth insights that are historically verifiable.
    Do you agree that there is a difference between Buddhist insights and personal memories?

No because there is none. A Buddhist insight becomes a personal memory directly after its fruition. Even the first Aryan insights work that way.IMU.

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I would say it is definitly (probability 1) not necessary to have insight into past lives to attain Nibbana according to the Susima sutta. And/But It says nothing about probability of such experiences during the path.

Yes. It doesn't. I haven't seen anywhere in the suttas that such insights are possible during the path. But yea, some folks say they are possible :)
    Almost. I had when I followed them but that was some years ago. But I could probably brush them up.

When you manage to brush them up please send me the instructions.
    No. You forget those rebirth insights that are historically verifiable.

historically verifiable rebirth insights? Where? Please send me the references.
    No because there is none. A Buddhist insight becomes a personal memory directly after its fruition. Even the first Aryan insights work that way.IMU.

Not quite. Insight is a truth which is verifiable by following a set of instructions. Personal memories of rebirth cannot be verified by following such instructions. They happen to some people in terms of vague memories in most cases. Similar to "in the past I was such and such". Verifiable truth takes the form of "if you do this you can see this". Can you say the same for rebirth memories? Probably not and that is why it is not verifiable here and now.
    edited July 2010
    Yes. It doesn't. I haven't seen anywhere in the suttas that such insights are possible during the path. But yea, some folks say they are possible :)

Not everybody knows all the suttas and not everything is written down. That is why it is important to have a good teacher.

When you manage to brush them up please send me the instructions.
    What on earth for?

historically verifiable rebirth insights? Where? Please send me the references.

If you are really interested please look it up yourself. There are probably books about it. I have only had such experiences narrated to me in real life by people I know.
    Not quite. Insight is a truth which is verifiable by following a set of instructions. Personal memories of rebirth cannot be verified by following such instructions. They happen to some people in terms of vague memories in most cases. Similar to "in the past I was such and such".

Personal memories of rebirth can be experienced and reexperienced following a set of instructions. The memories are not more vauge than memories of buddhist insights.

Verifiable truth takes the form of "if you do this you can see this".
    Can you say the same for rebirth memories? Probably not and that is why it is not verifiable here and now.

No you are wrong there. As I said memories of rebirth can be experienced and reexperienced following a set of instructions.

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010

What on earth for?

To verify it to myself. Couldn't you have guessed :lol:

Personal memories of rebirth can be experienced and reexperienced following a set of instructions.

blah blah blah...

As I said memories of rebirth can be experienced and reexperienced following a set of instructions.

So what are those instructions which I can follow and verify it here and now?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

Thread title.

Are we still on topic here?

If you two would like to take this to-and-fro discussion onto PMs, we can either get back to topic, or call it a day.

Too many threads wander off into an "I'm right you're wrong" dialogue between 2 posters, it gets tedious monitoring.
    For now, I'm closing the thread.
    I'm willing to re-open it, if it makes sense.....
    if either of you can give me good reason to re-open it in order to DEBATE THE ORIGINAL QUESTION - Let me know.
This discussion has been closed.