Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    Attachment to any strong belief whether it is in rebirth, no rebirth or neither belief nor disbelief in rebirth is a hinderance to reach the goal.

Neither belief nor disbelief is a belief? Non-believing is a belief? Is there something in nothingness? Is MJ really dead? :eek::eek:

That is why your question is irrelevant.

Would you not agree?
    No. I wouldn't agree. Not believing in speculation is not a hindrance to your practice.
    "Bhikkhus, you who know thus and see thus, would your mind run to the past: 'Was I in the past or was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what did I become?'"

"No, venerable sir."

"Bhikkhus, would you who know and see thus, run to the future: 'Will I be in the future, or will I not be in the future? What will I be in the future? How will I be in the future? Having been what, what will I become?'"

"No, venerable sir."

"Bhikkhus, would you who know and see thus have doubts about the present: 'Am I, or am I not? What am I? How am I? Where did this being come from? Where will it go?'"

"No, venerable sir."

….

"Good, O, Bhikkhus, I have led you in this Dhamma which is visible here and now, timeless, open to inspection, leading onwards and to be experienced by the wise for themselves. It was in reference to this that it was said: 'Bhikkhus, this Dhamma is visible here and now, timeless, open to inspection, leading onwards and to be experienced by the wise for themselves'."
    Strongly attached to this belief are you?;).

No. I wouldn't agree. I am open for facts from either side. Not accepting either belief as "I am absolutely and undoubtedly sure of this and that" is not strong belief or strong attachment. It’s just not accepting speculation.
    And how does one suffer without being born?

Noone said you suffer without being physically born (Whatever that means). Two people had sex and somehow you are here now. What is the cause of your suffering? Sex between humans? Physical birth? Your existence? If you think this way then you are not following Buddhism.

The "origin" of suffering is not life. The origin of suffering is "clinging".

Physical birth -> Clinging -> Suffering
    Physical birth -> Non-Clinging -> Nibbana

It's true that clinging doesn't take place without being born. Similarly, suffering doesn’t take place without clinging. The Buddha attained Nibbana while still being alive through relinquishment.

Why is that unlikely?

And how does somebody discern that a fact is a fact in Buddhas teaching?

Are you suggesting that the Buddha fooled people? He taught a practise he did not believe himself? To lure them inte behaving properly? Is that not a bit devious even?

This has been discussed before and you have been answered accordingly here.

Could you then please show me how it is visible here and now

I cannot show you. You have to see. I can show you the references which many others and I did here. I am sure you will look there if you are as interested as you sound. In case you couldn't find it, let me know.

Or is it maybe rather a strong belief on your part?

How can it be a "belief" victor when it is verifiable? Core Buddhist Dhamma has nothing to do with beliefs

What do you think made the Buddha's Dhamma so unique from the other Dhammas that were around his days. There are implications that there were already Brahmins with psychic powers those days. There are implications that Brahmins were teaching rebirth already at that time.
    And maybe there is a rather big possibility that the Buddha did teach literal rebirth since it is mentioned in pretty many suttas?

:cool:

Maybe :)

Well, I guess I have said all I have to say. You have the references. Continuing will be just going round in circles.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Neither belief nor disbelief is a belief? Non-believing is a belief? Is there something in nothingness? Is MJ really dead? :eek::eek:
    How can it be a "belief" victor when it is verifiable? Core Buddhist Dhamma has nothing to do with beliefs

Vic is right, here, I think. Your position seems to have hardened somewhat. Its epistemological rigor is no compensation for that.
    What do you think made the Buddha's Dhamma so unique from the other Dhammas that were around his days. There are implications that there were already Brahmins with psychic powers those days. There are implications that Brahmins were teaching rebirth already at that time.
    One remarkable trait of it was the complete rejection of cant.
  • edited June 2010
    I am open for facts from either side. Not accepting either belief as "I am absolutely and undoubtedly sure of this and that" is not strong belief or strong attachment. It’s just not accepting speculation.

If this is the case then I have difficulties understanding what is being argued, and why there is an argument at all.

Facts? There is a lot of evidence suggestive of reincarnation. But it isn't a hard science. If one takes a sceptical position, then no amount of circumstantial evidence will suffice.

Cheers, Thomas
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Facts? There is a lot of evidence suggestive of reincarnation.

Suggestive perhaps, but not conclusive.

To ask the OP question in a different way, would you cease Buddhist practice if it were proved that rebirth didn't occur and we only had this one lifetime?

P
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

One remarkable trait of it was the complete rejection of cant.
    complete rejection of what?

PS... Ok I got it :rolleyes:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If this is the case then I have difficulties understanding what is being argued, and why there is an argument at all.

Facts? There is a lot of evidence suggestive of reincarnation. But it isn't a hard science. If one takes a sceptical position, then no amount of circumstantial evidence will suffice.

Cheers, Thomas

There is no argument TS. I don't see any solid evidence to prove reincarnation. Perhaps you can explain the scientific approach to me please?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Vic is right, here, I think. Your position seems to have hardened somewhat. Its epistemological rigor is no compensation for that.

:bowdown:
  • edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    As Buddhists we practice to overcome craving, attachment to desire, the cause of suffering. How does believing in rebirth help us to to do this?
    P

For one thing, by encouraging us to accrue merit, as post 178 said.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Can you tell me what exactly "merit" is?
  • edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Can you tell me what exactly "merit" is?
    Merit is the result of virtuous actions of body, speech, and mind that function for establishing the causes and conditions for realization.
    Causality that is conducive to the eradication of negative habitual patterns etc.
    The notion of "merit" doesnt necessarily require one to accept rebirth.
  • edited June 2010
    Merit is the result of virtuous actions of body, speech, and mind that function for establishing the causes and conditions for realization.
    Causality that is conducive to the eradication of negative habitual patterns etc.
    The notion of "merit" doesnt necessarily require one to accept rebirth.

If you practice Vajrayana and think full buddhahood can be realized in one lifetime - then maybe one can ignore the value of rebirth. Even then, you would have to be confident that your previous merit from other lifetimes, when added to your Vajrayana merit, would be enough.

Otherwise, practicing merit or good karma in order to "establish the causes and conditions for realization" is pointless if you do not believe in many future births.

For definitions see the Buddhist Pali dictionary - punna and the three terms following: http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/dic3_p.htm

Here is Thanissaro Bhikkhu giving an intro to the value of Merit-making:
    Of all the concepts central to Buddhism, merit (puñña) is one of the least known and least appreciated in the West. This is perhaps because the pursuit of merit seems to be a lowly practice, focused on getting and "selfing," whereas higher Buddhist practice focuses on letting go, particularly of any sense of self. Because we in the West often feel pressed for time, we don't want to waste our time on lowly practices, and instead want to go straight to the higher levels. Yet the Buddha repeatedly warns that the higher levels cannot be practiced in a stable manner unless they develop on a strong foundation. The pursuit of merit provides that foundation. To paraphrase a modern Buddhist psychologist, one cannot wisely let go of one's sense of self until one has developed a wise sense of self. The pursuit of merit is the Buddhist way to develop a wise sense of self.
  • edited June 2010
    Will wrote: »
    If you practice Vajrayana and think full buddhahood can be realized in one lifetime - then maybe one can ignore the value of rebirth. Even then, you would have to be confident that your previous merit from other lifetimes, when added to your Vajrayana merit, would be enough.

Otherwise, practicing merit or good karma in order to "establish the causes and conditions for realization" is pointless if you do not believe in many future births.

For definitions see the Buddhist Pali dictionary - punna and the three terms following: http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/dic3_p.htm

Here is Thanissaro Bhikkhu giving an intro to the value of Merit-making:

I never advocated ignoring the value of rebirth, not that I think rebirth in and of itself is of any value whatsoever. Rebirth sucks (and by that I mean uncontrolled transmigration, not the teachings on rebirth).
    I certainly think that liberation, becoming an arhat, and buddhahood are all accessible in this lifetime, depending on the dispositions and paths of students.
    I think you go too far by saying that merit is "pointless" unless you "believe" in many rebirths. Personally, I think the Buddhist teachings on rebirth are completely rational and relevant. I do not however think that one must "believe" in rebirth in order for merit to be applicable to a practitioners life and experience.
  • edited June 2010
    shenpen,

I wrote "practicing merit or good karma". What is the motive to do so if one thinks this lifetime is the end? The question is not will merit-making "work" now, but how much energy would one put into it and with what motive, if this lifetime is the only one?
  • edited June 2010
    shenpen,

I wrote "practicing merit or good karma". What is the motive to do so if one thinks this lifetime is the end? The question is not will merit-making "work" now, but how much energy would one put into it and with what motive, if this lifetime is the only one?
    That argument is a bit weak.
    Its the same old, "if there is no rebirth, then why not do whatever you want?" argument. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. I do not think that this life is the only one, I actually think thats an illogical viewpoint that is extremely limited and limiting.
    I think people can come up with plenty of reasons why practicing virtue and accumulating merit would be relevant to their practice right now, whether or not they accept rebirth.
  • edited June 2010

I think people can come up with plenty of reasons why practicing virtue and accumulating merit would be relevant to their practice right now, whether or not they accept rebirth.

Well said Shenpen.

• edited June 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Well said Shenpen.

thanks.
    I like your avatar.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think people can come up with plenty of reasons why practicing virtue and accumulating merit ...

Why do you "accumulate" merit?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thank you Shenpen,

Is it the same as karma then?
    I wrote "practicing merit or good karma". What is the motive to do so if one thinks this lifetime is the end?
    Does merit/karma only come to fruition in the next life? Do we have no control over this life? How do you know that you haven't accrued enough merit in your past lives and it's in this one that you can realize nibbana?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Accumulation would imply storing up. So where do you store them?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thank you Shenpen,

Does merit/karma only come to fruition in the next life? Do we have no control over this life?
    next life is right now. This moment is your next life of 2 minutes ago.

:)
  • edited June 2010
    It depends on who you ask but some might say that "storage" would occur in relation to the alayanijnana or vayu.
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you Shenpen,

Does merit/karma only come to fruition in the next life? Do we have no control over this life? How do you know that you haven't accrued enough merit in your past lives and it's in this one that you can realize nibbana?
    They are conceptually very similar and maybe even the same.
    I think merit/karma ripen in this life and any potential future lives, from what I have been taught its not limited to either. Therefore, yes, we do have control over the future conditions of this life.
    I'm not sure how one could tell how much merit one has accumulated, for me personally I feel very fortunate to have a very fortunate conditions of birth that involves being positively inclined toward the dharma etc. In a lot of traditional interpretations this would me that there is significant merit/positive karma ripening from the past.
  • edited June 2010
    Why do you "accumulate" merit?
    accumulate probably isnt a very good word.
    The idea of merit or positive karma being imprinted upon the alayavijnana or vayu might be more effective.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It depends on who you ask but some might say that "storage" would occur in relation to the alayanijnana or vayu.

So the good merits get stored in alayanijnana or vayu? Vayu is the "wind element" right? How can merit be stored in the winds? hehe
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    accumulating just mean that you will suffer from less anxiety, less selfishness, less greed, less guilt etc...
    and you will experience more joy, more love, more liberation, more enjoyment out of life. It affect your brain, the way you think, the way you see the world etc...
  • edited June 2010
    So the good merits get stored in alayanijnana or vayu? Vayu is the "wind element" right? How can merit be stored in the winds? hehe
    Its similar to the wind or prana, in certain traditions it is given a bit more value, and is directly linked to the most subtle forms of awareness. It possesses the quality of movement or luminosity which is present in the subtle levels of mind and the connection between mind and body. The quality of movement combined with a natural manifestation of awareness may be a contributing factor in what many people call rebirth.
    The body-mind-prana connection is why physical yoga's etc. are applied in some traditions.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote:

Pick your battles. *shrugs*
    pattb wrote:
    next life is right now. This moment is your next life of 2 minutes ago.
    I'm speaking to Will from his own perspective.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Pick your battles. *shrugs*

No I was just leaving. I have already been accused of un-Buddhist rigor...
  • edited June 2010
    No I was just leaving. I have already been accused of un-Buddhist rigor...

uh oh, not unbuddhist rigor.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    :lol:
    edited June 2010
    My girlfriend loves my unBuddhist rigor.
  • edited June 2010

ha!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010

Lmao.

Deshy, you handed that one right to him. :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    :PWNED:
  • edited June 2010
    shenpen: I think people can come up with plenty of reasons why practicing virtue and accumulating merit would be relevant to their practice right now...

First, what Dharma teaching leads you to think any merit-making will come to fruition in this lifetime? What sorts of merit will do that?

Secondly, please give three reasons to make merit if one does not believe in rebirth.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I'm starting to get the feeling you only post to hear yourself talk since you seem to ignore half the members here, and the purpose of a discussion forum to... discuss things? O.o
    First, what Dharma teaching leads you to think any merit-making will come to fruition in this lifetime? What sorts of merit will do that?
    Merit-karma (they sound the same to me--if you disagree with Shenpen's definition then please tell me what merit means to you) is taught to ripen in "this life and the next." Certainly, our volitional actions affect us in this lifetime? Do people go to jail or win awards for things they did in their past lives? Can the results of meditation not be seen in this life?

Does merit-karma only accumulate when one is acting with the intent to accumulate it? If I do good deeds for the sake of helping someone, rather than to accumulate merit for future rebirths, would the merit not still accumulate?
  • edited June 2010

Secondly, please give three reasons to make merit if one does not believe in rebirth.

First:
    If the two accumulations of merit and wisdom had no potential for ripening in this lifetime then no lifetime would be sufficient for realization and Buddhahood. The current lifetime, no matter which lifetime that was would become irrelevant to the ripening of the two accumulations and would therefore be a redundant birth that facilitated no awakening whatsoever. If this were the case all enlightened beings would be born as enlightened beings. The accumulations must ripen in a given lifetime in order for Buddhahood to be actualized. So to answer your question on which dharma teachings say the accumulations come to fruition in a lifetime i would have to say this: all of them. If that were not the case then there would never be a lifetime in which the two accumulations ripened.
    By your reasoning Buddhahood becomes impossible because the opportunity for the fruition of practice is only available outside of the context of a current rebirth. That is unless you think all enlightened beings enter their final lifetime fully awakened.

Second:
    1. A genuine aspiration to serve the three jewels.
    2. A genuine aspiration to benefit others.
    3. Committing any virtuous act without the regard for future lifetimes.
    The list could go on to be outrageously large.
  • edited June 2010

Does merit-karma only accumulate when one is acting with the intent to accumulate it? If I do good deeds for the sake of helping someone, rather than to accumulate merit for future rebirths, would the merit not still accumulate?
    This is a really great point actually. The view of performing good deeds for the sake of helping others is actually a far superior view than a view that does them for the sake of a higher rebirth.
    Virtually every Tibetan commentary on the teachings on merit and rebirth assert that the lowest view is the one that performs virtuous deed with the intention of a favorable rebirth (or for material gain in this life). The highest being altruism alone.
    This is one of the major reasons why compassion and bodhicitta are so heavily taught in TB. By being altruistically meritorious we are in a sense utilizing the idea of merit to remove the obstacles to Buddhahood by doing that which is most kind to other beings. The principle is ironically "selfish". Basically, by always working for the benefit of others with no expectation of anything back the practitioner is doing him/her self the greatest kindness.
  • edited June 2010
    First:
    If the two accumulations of merit and wisdom had no potential for ripening in this lifetime then no lifetime would be sufficient for realization and Buddhahood. The current lifetime, no matter which lifetime that was would become irrelevant to the ripening of the two accumulations and would therefore be a redundant birth that facilitated no awakening whatsoever. If this were the case all enlightened beings would be born as enlightened beings. The accumulations must ripen in a given lifetime in order for Buddhahood to be actualized. So to answer your question on which dharma teachings say the accumulations come to fruition in a lifetime i would have to say this: all of them. If that were not the case then there would never be a lifetime in which the two accumulations ripened.
    By your reasoning Buddhahood becomes impossible because the opportunity for the fruition of practice is only available outside of the context of a current rebirth. That is unless you think all enlightened beings enter their final lifetime fully awakened.

Second:
    1. A genuine aspiration to serve the three jewels.
    2. A genuine aspiration to benefit others.
    3. Committing any virtuous act without the regard for future lifetimes.
    The list could go on to be outrageously large.

Talk about little karma seeds making big vipaka trees! I was not clear & thus you did not understand the first question.

"What Dharma teaching leads you to think any merit-making done in this lifetime will come to fruition of buddhahood or arhatship in this lifetime? What sorts of merit will do that?"

You were getting to where I was coming from with "the opportunity for the fruition of practice is only available outside of the context of a current rebirth." Exactly; 99% of cultivators will not become bodhisattvas, arhats or buddhas in their present lifetime. So merit-making is for the future bodhi. But if rebirth is not believed in - there is no future.

Yes, one can see good results in this life from properly motivated good karma aimed at the proper field. See Deshung Rinpoche's (or Je Rinpoche's) wonderful teachings.

But those good results are can be attained without Buddhism. Just be kind & harmless - as HHDL says and you will feel better and be a pleasant companion to all beings.

As for your three reasons - #s 2 & 3 are fine - but again, no Dharma practice is required for them. Number 1 does not make sense. Taking refuge requires full faith and confidence in Buddha & his teachings. If rebirth is rejected or ignored, then I do not see such faith; thus no real refuge.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010

"What Dharma teaching leads you to think any merit-making done in this lifetime will come to fruition of buddhahood or arhatship in this lifetime? What sorts of merit will do that?"
    Thus one would have to be born enlightened as Shenpen said. :\
    Exactly; 99% of cultivators will not become bodhisattvas, arhats or buddhas in their present lifetime.

Did he Buddha state that every being will realize Nibbana?
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Exactly; 99% of cultivators will not become bodhisattvas, arhats or buddhas in their present lifetime</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey, hold on. Every life is your present life. That means 99% never become stuff. Enlightenement deferred forever.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Will, how does one gain the super-duper-nirvana merit necessary to attain enlightenment?
    edited June 2010
    I thought the whole point was to bring an end to becoming?? :)
  • edited June 2010
    For those authoritarian, fundamentalists like me or those willing to crack open a Dharma book, check out Je Tsongkhapa's Great Treatise vol. 1 pp. 241-2 and/or Geshe Sopa's commentary on the same passage, Steps on the Path vol. 2 pp. 116-18. There you find listed the 4 pairs of actions that, if powerful will produce merit or demerit in the same life the action was done.

We all try to follow our best lights, so Fare Thee Well all. I will take a break for a spell.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    There you find listed the 4 pairs of actions that, if powerful will produce merit or demerit in the same life the action was done.
    Ok, so your assertion that belief in rebirth is -neccessary- was just to waste everyone's time? :lol:
    edited June 2010
    For those authoritarian, fundamentalists like me or those willing to crack open a Dharma book
    Implying that those who aren't interested in your authorities are willfully ignorant. Not to worry, no doubt you'll get the right speech bit sorted in some subsequent life when you've accumulated enough merit. :)
  • edited June 2010
    For those authoritarian, fundamentalists like me or those willing to crack open a Dharma book, check out Je Tsongkhapa's Great Treatise vol. 1 pp. 241-2 and/or Geshe Sopa's commentary on the same passage, Steps on the Path vol. 2 pp. 116-18. There you find listed the 4 pairs of actions that, if powerful will produce merit or demerit in the same life the action was done.

We all try to follow our best lights, so Fare Thee Well all. I will take a break for a spell.

You are grossly misunderstanding and misrepresenting both Tsongkhapa and Geshe Sopa with this statement.
  • edited June 2010
    You are grossly misunderstanding and misrepresenting both Tsongkhapa and Geshe Sopa with this statement.

Really, how so? Here is Je Rinpoche, in translation:
    From the viewpoint of the time at which you experience a result, there are three types of certainty of experiencing results of karma: experiencing it here and now; experiencing it after taking rebirth; and experiencing it at another time.

Karma that you experience here and now is the effect of actions which ripen in the very lifetime in which you do the actions. There are eight such types of karma mentioned in the Levels of Yogic Deeds:

B]page 242[/B

(1) nonvirtuous actions [that you have done] with a predominant
    [attached] attitude of looking after your body, resources,
    and existence;
    (2) virtuous actions [that you have cultivated] with a predominant attitude of not looking after these;

(3) in the same way, [nonvirtuous actions that you have done with an attitude of] strong malice toward living beings;
    (4) [virtuous actions that you have cultivated with an attitude
    of] deep compassion and helpfulness;

(5) [nonvirtuous actions that you have done with] great animosity
    toward the three jewels, gurus, and the like;
    (6) [virtuous actions that you have cultivated with] an attitude
    of deep faith and belief in these;

(7) nonvirtuous actions [that you have done] with an attitude
    of enmity toward those who have helped you such as parents
    and gurus, and an attitude of not repaying them for what they have done;
    (8) virtuous actions [that you have cultivated] with a strong
    attitude of wishing to repay those who have helped you.

Karma that you will experience after you have been reborn is the effect of actions which you will experience in the second [next] lifetime. Karma that you will experience at other times is the effect of actions which will ripen in or after the third lifetime.

The way in which the many virtuous and nonvirtuous karmas that exist in your mind-stream ripen is as follows:
    (1) Whichever karma is weightiest will ripen first.
    (2) If weights are equal, whatever karma is manifest at the
    time of death will ripen first.
    (3) If this also is the same, whatever karma you have predominantly
    become habituated to will ripen first.
    (4) If this also is the same, whatever karma you have done
    first will ripen earliest.

As cited in the Treasury of Knowledge Auto-commentary
    As to the actions that give rise to cyclic existence,
    There are those that are weighty, those that are near,
    Those to which you are habituated, and those you did earliest.
    Among these, the former will ripen first.
  • edited June 2010
    Really, how so? Here is Je Rinpoche, in translation:

Wow. I'm scratchin my head here Will. The passage you posted very clearly and explicitly proves my point and pulls the rug out from under your argument.
    Thank for saving me the trouble of taking the book off my own shelf.
  • edited June 2010
    Wow. I'm scratchin my head here Will. The passage you posted very clearly and explicitly proves my point and pulls the rug out from under your argument.
    Thank for saving me the trouble of taking the book off my own shelf.

Let us refresh my confusion.

My point was that belief in rebirth is essential to gaining merit for buddhahood in future rebirth. Your point was that faith in rebirth is not important for gaining such merit. Right so far?
This discussion has been closed.