Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief in rebirth necessary to practice 8-fold path?

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Could you provide a reference to rebirth-belief being Noble Right View? Porpoise asked for a reference to it being described as part of the N8FP, and in Noble Right View which is "a factor of the path" I have never seen its mention.

Could you explain the larger and deeper perspective it provided you?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Right view / samma ditthi.

Yes, I have wondered about Right View. However most of the sutta references I've seen describe Right View in terms of insight into the Four Noble Truths, basically insight into how suffering arises and ceases. This leads us into the ongoing parallel debate about how DO should be interpreted, which IMO is another thicket of views.;)

P
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    Yes, I have wondered about Right View. However most of the sutta references I've seen describe Right View in terms of insight into the Four Noble Truths, basically insight into how suffering arises and ceases. This leads us into the ongoing parallel debate about how DO should be interpreted, which IMO is another thicket of views.;)

P

It is Mundane Right View that talks about rebirth and Deva worlds. Even though it is Right View it is probably not necessary for cultivation. MN 117 and see the sutta Valtiel quoted above. Susima sutta.

Of course the existance of rebirth or no makes a H*ll of a difference to understanding the Path.

Just take Nibbana for instance. If there is not rebirth then the state of death is in many ways equivalant to Nibbana. Also there is the huge difference of (through Nibbana) fleeing an endless round of rebirth and suffering compared to the no-rebirth Nibbana where you "only" escape the suffering of this one life.

For me my view that there is rebirth is therefore a huge motivation booster. Without it I would probably not cultivate.

Cheers
    Victor
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    So, Vic, you've had a couple of days. Are you able to explain what you mean by rebirth, now?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    And to prevent the thread going off-topic, let us remind ourselves of the original question:
    Is a belief in rebirth necessary to fully and effectively practice the 8-fold path?

(My Bold sections).
    edited June 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    So, Vic, you've had a couple of days. Are you able to explain what you mean by rebirth, now?

I think I answered your question as you can se in the same post.
    See the greatest error in those views are that there is a self. Prior or after rebirt is irrelevant.

But if you are waiting for my definition of rebirth I guess there are numerous suttas that contain in various way references to rebirth.

My own definition goes something like this: You die and according to your karma and desires (asava) you are reborn again.

I still do not see why that is relevant in this thread.

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Sorry Fredrica I did not see your post until now. Feel free to delete my last posts.

/Victor
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    That's ok. I'll leave it.

But don't ever - EVER - do it again.

:p

(and - small, piccky point, I know..... It's F-eDErica...no 'r', but a second 'e'.... .:D )
    edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    That's ok. I'll leave it.

But don't ever - EVER - do it again.

:p

(and - small, piccky point, I know..... It's F-eDErica...no 'r', but a second 'e'.... .:D )

I am currenlty smacking my own bottom. I promise I will do it thoroughly.

Double sorry F-eDErica.
    :D

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    Also there is the huge difference of (through Nibbana) fleeing an endless round of rebirth and suffering compared to the no-rebirth Nibbana where you "only" escape the suffering of this one life.

For me my view that there is rebirth is therefore a huge motivation booster. Without it I would probably not cultivate.
    Victor

Yes, I realise that for some individuals and traditions belief in rebirth is a strong motivating factor, and I wouldn't want to argue with that. The question is perhaps more for those of us currently without that belief, in which case the motivation is probably a bit different.:)

P
    edited June 2010
    /Victor

And in accordance with the precepts? :lol:
    edited June 2010
    Yes, I realise that for some individuals and traditions belief in rebirth is a strong motivating factor, and I wouldn't want to argue with that. The question is perhaps more for those of us currently without that belief, in which case the motivation is probably a bit different.:)

P

Not arguing. Just relating my belief. I have friends that do not believe in rebirth and we do not generally argue since we agree it is not relevant for cultivation.

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    And in accordance with the precepts? :lol:

Always. Everything I do.
    edited June 2010
    I don't know whether that makes you wonderfully pious or seriously screwed-up....:lol:
  • edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Could you provide a reference to rebirth-belief being Noble Right View?

MN 117 mentions it:

[...]

And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view.

[...]

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

[...]

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel means a "factor of the path" truthseeker and in this translation MN 117 makes it pretty clear that the view of rebirth is Mundane and not "Noble" (Valtiel means supramundane). But of course it is still Right View.

At least as I understand it.

Cheers
    /Victor
  • edited June 2010
    That's correct, Victorious, yet as the saying goes: even the longest journey begins with the first step out of your house door. The path to the supramundane begins with the mundane. In the context of this sutta, you have to start with eliminating wrong views and... the rejection of rebirth is clearly identified as such.

Cheers, Thomas
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Huuuuuuuuuge, unsupported leap, I must say.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010

Double sorry F-eDErica.
    :D

/Victor
    Lol!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel means a "factor of the path" truthseeker and in this translation MN 117 makes it pretty clear that the view of rebirth is Mundane and not "Noble" (Valtiel means supramundane). But of course it is still Right View.

While it doesn't necessarily mean anything, it's interesting to note that the Chinese version of MN 117 makes no mention of "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions":
    And what is right view? ‘There is what is given and what is offered and what is sacrificed; there is benefit and result of good and bad actions; there is this world and the other world; there is mother and father; there are in the world good and virtuous individuals who have realised for themselves by direct knowledge and declare this world and the other world.’ This is right view.

It's entirely possible that this particular passage is a later addition. Perhaps later redactors of the Pali Canon (especially the Abhidhammikas) added this distinction in order to support the Abhidhammic theory of two truths (i.e., conventional and ultimate truth). It's not really all that unlikely considering the fact that this is the only sutta in the entire Canon I'm aware of containing this definition of right view with and without effluents.

Of course, it's equally as possible that the redactors of the Chinese Canon intentionally removed this part, or that it was simply lost in translation.
    edited June 2010
    That's correct, Victorious, yet as the saying goes: even the longest journey begins with the first step out of your house door. The path to the supramundane begins with the mundane.
    In the context of this sutta, you have to start with eliminating wrong views and... the rejection of rebirth is clearly identified as such.

Cheers, Thomas

Yet, surprisingly (to myself) I have found a lot of people who seem not to need this belief to cultivate.

Well that agnosticism is also in accordance with the Buddha according to the Kalama sutta as I think you would agree? Not believing in anything without scrutiny?

But on the last account I do agree. The rejection of rebirth is based on false view and not anything the Buddha supported. In fact the MN 117 (and numerous other suttas) makes it clear that the Buddha did belive in rebirth himself.

Trying to bend the view of karma (and the Dhamma) to make it fit a world without rebirth is pretty tedious.

IMO.:cool:.
    /Victor

PS.
    Please call me Victor. I just use "Victorious" to p*ss people off...or make them smile.:lol:
    DS.
    edited June 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    While it doesn't necessarily mean anything, it's interesting to note that the Chinese version of MN 117 makes no mention of "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions":
    And what is right view? ‘There is what is given and what is offered and what is sacrificed; there is benefit and result of good and bad actions; there is this world and the other world; there is mother and father; there are in the world good and virtuous individuals who have realised for themselves by direct knowledge and declare this world and the other world.’ This is right view.
    It's entirely possible that this particular passage is a later addition. Perhaps later redactors of the Pali Canon (especially the Abhidhammikas) added this distinction in order to support the Abhidhammic theory of two truths (i.e., conventional and ultimate truth). It's not really all that unlikely considering the fact that this is the only sutta in the entire Canon I'm aware of containing this definition of right view with and without effluents.

Of course, it's equally as possible that the redactors of the Chinese Canon intentionally removed this part, or that it was simply lost in translation.

Very interesting. Either way. Right View is always Right View.

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    The thing with Right View is that there is initial Right View, and final Right View. This aspect, this factor of the Noble Eightfold Path, comes into clarity through the deepening stages of awakening.

Initial Right View of rebirth is not how you 'want' to believe it, but however your particular school/tradition teaches it to be. Neither view is an obstruction from progress, from cultivation; stream-entry can occur regardless of our views, or even our ignorance, of rebirth.

I hope this helps.

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    Jason wrote: »

Good point. There is an analysis of MN 117 by Bhikkhu Bodhi where he talks about precisely this, and his conclusion is that the Mahacattarisaka Sutta has been modified at a later point to fit with the Abidhamma, as the latter makes a technical distinction between "... with effluents" and "...without effluents". He supposes that this distinction was not originally there and that the Chinese translation renders an earlier version of the same sutta. I have an MP3 dhamma talk that analyses MN117 in this regard, but unfortunately I can't find the web link any longer. If anyone is interested in this MP3 talk, pls. drop me a line.

Cheers, Thomas

P.S.: Thanks to Google, I found the web link: http://abmp3.com/mp3/bhikkhu-bodhi-m0049-mn-117-mahacattarisaka-sutta.html
    edited June 2010
    MN 117 mentions it:

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

Often in the suttas Right View is described in terms of insight into the Noble Truths, the arising and cessation of suffering, for example as here in the Magga-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Path:
    "And what, monks, is right view? Knowledge with regard to stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the stopping of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the stopping of stress: This, monks, is called right view."

My practice involves developing insight into how suffering arises and ceases in the here and now, looking at desires and their consequences.

P
    edited June 2010
    Yet, surprisingly (to myself) I have found a lot of people who seem not to need this belief to cultivate.

I don't view dharma as a set of beliefs to be taken on, I see it as a path of discovery, seeing things as they really are. There are different ways of looking at it, I guess. :)

P
  • edited June 2010
    Is a belief in rebirth necessary to fully and effectively practice the 8-fold path?

Yes, for a "full & effective practice".
    edited June 2010
    I don't view dharma as a set of beliefs to be taken on, I see it as a path of discovery, seeing things as they really are. There are different ways of looking at it, I guess. :)

P

For me "seeing things as they really are" is also a form of belief. The strongest belief is what I think Buddhism calls direkt knowleadge.

That is something that you have validated through your own faculties as true beyond any doubt.

As long as there is a Subject percieving the world, which is to my understanding the case as long as you have not reached the end of the path, then there can only be varying forms of belief.

For instance rebirth is for me validated beyond any doubt and as sure as that the sun rises in the morning.

I know people who through their own cultivation have seen Devas as clear as LED-TV.:).

Still it is only belief. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth. :lol:

But seriously is that not what Buddhism is all about?

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    The goal is for the mind to match what 'is'. It is not to see things that aren't there, but to fully understand the things that are there. The things we all see, but that we don't act accordingly toward; such as the constant change and impermanence of life. We strive against it. And so, Buddhism is about the cessation of suffering that is based on mental trends that function 'against' the natural flow of reality.

It is to see the world, rather than to conceive the world.

Namaste
    edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    The goal is for the mind to match what 'is'. It is not to see things that aren't there, but to fully understand the things that are there. The things we all see, but that we don't act accordingly toward; such as the constant change and impermanence of life. We strive against it. And so, Buddhism is about the cessation of suffering that is based on mental trends that function 'against' the natural flow of reality.

Are you implying there is something beyond the illusion? What is the natural flow of reality?

Namaste

Yes I was talking about during the path to that Aryan view. If everybody already constanlty held that view then Buddhism would be nullified? Ne?

Ayubovan
    /Victor
  • edited June 2010
    What illusion?

Namaste
    edited June 2010
    What illusion?

Namaste

I think we are saying the same thing arent we? :)

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    I haven't the slightest clue. All I know is that reality is right here in front of us, the same for all of us, and only our messed up minds seek any other reality. :)

Namaste
    edited June 2010
    I haven't the slightest clue. All I know is that reality is right here in front of us, the same for all of us, and only our messed up minds seek any other reality. :)

Namaste

The "other reality" is the illusion I am talking about.

Cheers
    /Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Is a belief in rebirth necessary to fully and effectively practice the 8-fold path? From a practical point of view I don't see that it is, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

No. It is not necessary in the least. It has never been mentioned in the 8 fold path or the 4 noble truths. But you can believe it if it makes you happy.
    Please note the question is about our own beliefs on this issue and how they relate to our practice, not about what the Buddha taught

I'm glad you realize there is a difference between what people believe in and what the Buddha taught
    edited June 2010

Namaste

I think that's a good way of saying it. Seeing things as they really are, without all the views, beliefs, preconceptions, assumptions, desires etc.

P
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    I'm glad you realize there is a difference between what people believe in and what the Buddha taught

Unfortunately these two things often seem to get confused.

P
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Unfortunately these two things often seem to get confused.

P

Not if you carefully read the suttas with an open mind
    edited June 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Not if you carefully read the suttas with an open mind

I agree - but this is actually quite difficult to do.:)

P
    edited June 2010
    I think that's a good way of saying it. Seeing things as they really are, without all the views, beliefs, preconceptions, assumptions, desires etc.

P

Correct me if I am wrong but is not this the preroggitive of an Aryan Puggala.

Are not the rest of us (poor sods) trapped in the illusion of the five aggregates?

Believing that one can see the reality behind the illusion under those conditions is an illusion in itself no?

Is that not why it is mostly impossible to read the suttas with an unbiased mind?

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Yes, for a "full & effective practice".

And could you say why?

P
    edited June 2010
    Believing that one can see the reality behind the illusion under those conditions is an illusion in itself no?

That would be like thinking you're enlightened when you're not.

P
    edited June 2010
    That would be like thinking you're enlightened when you're not.

P

10 points out of 10. Thank God!:lol:

Cheerio
    /Victor
    edited June 2010
    Oh please.....! Don't bring him into it......! :rolleyes: :D
  • edited June 2010
    And could you say why?

P

Faith or confidence in the Buddha is the door to power & strength in practice. If one rejects the Dharma of literal rebirth which Buddha taught, then how much confidence can one have in whatever "Dharma" practice one uses?

If one is agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth, then why are you here on earth; how were you born? If this your first and last birth, why should karma apply at all? If you ignore gaining a reasonable view of how & why one is born, then stupidity, cowardice or laziness rules. And these are not a firm support for good practice.

The short answer is that our ego is fed by ignorance & craving, so ignorance of rebirth, being supported by craving to ignore the Dharma taught by Buddha, is folly.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If one is agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth, the why are you here? If this your first and last birth, why should karma apply at all? If you ignore gaining a reasonable view of how & why one is born, then stupidity, cowardice or laziness rules. And these are not a firm support for good practice.
    Exactly. The Buddha never declared he taught only of dukkha and freedom from it in the here-and-now. He declared he taught only of metaphysics and existential issues. Surely you don't still believe what they taught you sex-ed, porpoise??? If there is no rebirth, there is no neat-and-tidy superstitious kamma that plays out according to our personal moral ideals, and that is just absurd! So go out and hit an old lady and steal some candy from a baby, 'cause it's party time, baby! Listen to Will, everyone. Clearly the Buddhist who resorts to calling those who won't blindly swallow dogma "cowards," "lazy," and "ignorant" is the one following the superior and noble path.
    The short answer is that our ego is fed by ignorance & craving, so ignorance of rebirth, being supported by craving to ignore the Dharma taught by Buddha, is folly.
    The short answer is that your ego is fed by ignorance and craving, ignorance of the Buddha's supramundane teachings of dukkha, supported by craving to ignore that rebirth and kamma are no where to be found in D.O. (i.e. The Dhamma).
    edited June 2010
    Will wrote: »

If one is agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth, the why are you here? If this your first and last birth, why should karma apply at all? If you ignore gaining a reasonable view of how & why one is born, then stupidity, cowardice or laziness rules. And these are not a firm support for good practice.

How should one go about not to be agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth?

How can I validate Rebirth for myself?

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Oh please.....! Don't bring him into it......! :rolleyes: :D

Why not? I am pretty sure He is a Buddhist!!;)

/Victor
  • edited June 2010
    Focusing on something that is not provable distracts one from following the path.

Understand how rebirth is explained, both ways, and however you initially 'believe' in it will depend upon the conditions of your own life. There's no way for anyone to convince you one way or the other. Yet you can be easily confused by those who tell you that you must believe it in a way which you can not believe it (each mind has its own receptivity), and thus flounder around a lot before getting anywhere.

Anyone who says you must believe one way or another is misguided. Different schools/traditions hold varying views, and so to state definitively that one is correct is to say that those other schools/traditions are wrong, and we as Buddhist don't do that, do we? :) Any definitive 'this is right, that is wrong' on rebirth is based on your school/tradition and your beliefs. It is not correct or 'Right Speech' to force one view where others may be equally valid.

Not only do rebirth threads never end in everyone agreeing, but they are an exercise in futility and a battle of will that causes much suffering and confusion. These threads have been common on this forum and none are helpful. They should be somehow restricted in the same way that evangelizing has been, IMHO.

The Right View of Rebirth is whatever your school/tradition (teacher) says it is, for that is the transmission of that school/tradition. It is not what you want to believe; rather if you want to believe one way you should choose a school/tradition that has the same view.

I'm going to get out of this thread, which is futile. :) I hope someone learns something from all of this, otherwise there truly will be no merit to this thread at all.

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    How should one go about not to be agnostic, indifferent or uncertain about the truth of rebirth?

How can I validate Rebirth for myself?

/Victor

Why bother with that now? If you have faith or confidence in 90% of the Dharma now, just open your heart a little more and include rebirth.

Certainty of truth or validation comes after much practice & many lives - not before.
This discussion has been closed.