Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How was your day?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Fede - she's a very caring person with a great depth of knowledge and ultimately... patient. Maybe this patience doesn't come out right off the bat, but given a kind word, she'd probably break her back for ya.

Sangha... he's a young man with a great sense of humor and too young have to the pain of life experiences that most of the rest of us have. It's nice to see innocense.

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Sangha, you have enthusiasm and full of spunk.

Hah! Beat you both!
    *does 'loser' sign*
    LOOOOOOOSSSSSSSEEEERRRRZZZZZ!!!!!!

Just kidding!
  • edited December 2005
    today's my birthday, the big 43, thus far today, I have lounged about in bed on the computer. My 14yo son, brought me coffee in bed and he gave me a new jewelry box. my husband had me to dinner last pm. My 2 daughters called me this am. also today I was not scheduled to work. so life's good right now. after reading all these posts, I think I will go for a walk in the cold winter air (as cold as it gets in Tennessee), maybe to clear some cobwebs out.

charla
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Flower,
    I usually go by the handle JerbearRN, but there were no Jerbears here already, so I dropped the RN. I work in ICU. What unit do you work? I've also posted about right livelihood and is being an ICU nurse in that category. Look forward to hearing from ya.
  • edited December 2005
    Happy Birthday Charla.
  • edited December 2005
    Happy Birthday Charla 43 yrs young like me:birthday:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    OOPS, Happy Bday. Charla!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Happy Birthday, Charla.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Simon,
    I wanted to give you an update on my health situation. Since you put me on your list, I was injected with steroids in my back which has decreased the pain by 80%. Most of the time my back doesn't even hurt. Thanks for your thoughts!
    edited December 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Simon,
    I wanted to give you an update on my health situation. Since you put me on your list, I was injected with steroids in my back which has decreased the pain by 80%. Most of the time my back doesn't even hurt. Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks for the update. So good to hear that the steroid injections have done so much good. Long may it continue.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    You should see what they've done for the biceps and pec's...!! :grin:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Federica,
    Absolutely nothing, but I have two more injections to go.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Well gang, this is the only appropriate place to post this and I'm so excited to announce this. I quit smoking one year ago today. It is said that only 7% of people that try to quit make it to one year. I had surgery at this time last year and ended up on a ventilator for 36 days and was knocked out. I was in the hospital for over 2 months and decided that if I could go that long without a cigarette, there was no reason for me to buy anymore. And since my lungs were in such bad shape that I required a ventilator after surgery, it was time to quit.

Now, I'm not going to preach to anyone who may smoke in our online sangha. But I will say this. Meditation has really helped me in the past 5 months to stay calm. I can't say much about nicotine withdrawal as I was sedated. But learning how to live without cigarettes has been just as much a challenge. To do "Mindfulness of Breathing", you need decent lung function. Mine has slowly improved over the year.

I also have my sense of smell partially back and my sense of taste continues to improve. So thank you for listening. Now on to year 2.:bigclap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    You go, Jerbear!!:bigclap: :cheer:
    edited December 2005
    Praise be, Jerbear! Well done! And it's one in the eye for those tobacco companies. They must really despise their own customers. And you have broken their thrall.
  • edited December 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    ... and my sense of taste continues to improve.

That's debatable. I hear the jury is still out on that one. For example - that strange ornament that resembles a dessicated toucan.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    It's a pink flamingo, not a toucan Rev. Genryu. But I will work on it.
  • edited December 2005
    I can not seem to decide if today is a good day or a bad day, or just another day.

I woke up in my house and no one was home... sad huh?

So I re-arranged my room and did the dishes.

Four hours later of sitting and thinking, just looking at teh wall, my mother finally comes home.

Betting on things, and lossing money again.

Yay.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Although I believe I have an inkling of what you're thinking...

This is a perfect time for YOU!

I know I spent a period of my life sitting around depressed about the things I no longer had while not spending the time concentrating on the things I do have.

I'm not saying this is you - but depression does a wonderful job of causing us to forget that Life is still going on around us - awaiting us to partake in it.

-bf
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm in the middle of Computer lab :D I'm such a bad student. Gotta go, teacher's coming! :vimp:
  • edited January 2006
    Had a relatively quiet day at work nothing major except a Bird ingested into an engine. Started to snow, not looking forward to nightshift.
  • edited January 2006
    Well, my day is just beginning. I am off for the daily walk (at 7 a.m., and still dark out). The walk helps me settle and remind myself of the Buddha-Nature in everyone.

My yesterday though, I feel was quite successful. As a teacher of 6-7 year olds, I am often busy and caught up in state standards, little pencil/crayon disputes, who didn't get breackfast...etc. Buddhism has brought to the forefront of my mind, ow to treat these things. I am finding that how I react (Buddha-like) to situations/people(including the children) has a profound effect.
  • edited January 2006
    I spent part of today looking at a few different Buddhist inspired quarterlys. I found : The Tricycle (which was mentioned in another thread), there is Shambala Sun, and Buddhadharma. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner?
    thanks
  • edited January 2006
    Friend of mine sent me the Tricycle website addie yesterday, I can post it if you like?

My day has been another step forward. (This is inevitably the precursor of two back so don't hold your breath, or not longer than a count of five anyway)

In my work I often have to drive across a city that I don't know very well and has one of the most fiendish one way systems in Europe. Today I had one hour to get from one side to the other and I planned it out in advance, did it methodically, concentrated, stayed calm even when I found myself in a residential estate and got myself there in time.

This is only seen as a step forward if you know how I was before - screaming, panic-stricken, foaming at the mouth raving lunatic, who would have sat in the residential estate crying, rather than calmly getting the map out and seeing where I went wrong.
  • edited January 2006
    Yikes..what a trip!

I am thankful every time I hear of someone's commute through a city....my drive is 7 minutes along Niagara River....beautiful..and a great way to start my day.

Thanks for responding to my post. I have looked at the websites..but was wondering which chronicle would be better siuted for a beginner....

:-/
  • edited January 2006
    Ah can't help you there Sharpiegirl.

My normal journey to work is 45 minutes through beautiful countryside and is a real tonic, it's just the bit during the day when I have to navigate that used to get to me. Which is laughable really because when the Old Feller and I are trogging around Europe in the van I can get through other cities with no problem because I am not on a timetable, not supposed to be somewhere at a certain time.
  • edited January 2006
    My first graders and I are learning about penguins. This morning we viewed part of "March of the Penguins". Has anyone seen it?
    The most touching part was watching the father penguin (who kept the egg warm for 4 months!! with no food!!) saying 'see you later' to the chick! He had to go off to eat...but they (the father and chick) sang to each other so they wouldn't forget their voices!!!
    Sadly, some of the chicks died. We saw how the mother mourned...
    What a beautiful movie on endurance, love and family!
    edited January 2006
    My first graders and I are learning about penguins. This morning we viewed part of "March of the Penguins". Has anyone seen it?
    The most touching part was watching the father penguin (who kept the egg warm for 4 months!! with no food!!) saying 'see you later' to the chick! He had to go off to eat...but they (the father and chick) sang to each other so they wouldn't forget their voices!!!
    Sadly, some of the chicks died. We saw how the mother mourned...
    What a beautiful movie on endurance, love and family!

Have you seen this?
    The Weeping Camel
  • edited January 2006
    I haven't Simon but I will look into it! Thanks
  • edited January 2006
    I am curious about 'former lives'. I read somewhere (I have read so much I cannot remember exactly where) that it is possible to discover your former life????
    If anyone would like to share any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks, Marybeth
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    From what I've read in a few places, you can recall former lives when you reach enlightenment. Might not be for a few life times though. Since I really don't know, I just do what I have to do today to keep following the path.
    edited January 2006
    The Dalai Lama was once challenged in an interview, on why he couldn't remember his past lives (him being so high up and all....!)
    And he asked the reporter if he (said reporter) could remember what he'd been doing six years ago on the ninth of January... (for example...) the reporter said that no, he couldn't...
    "Well if you can't remember what you were doing in THIS lifetime," argued HH DL, jovially, "How do you expect me to remember what happened in a previous lifetime - ?!?"

Sometimes, it's best to just accept the situation, and memory or no memory, just deal with the day-to-day present stuff... those who can remember, are disbelieved, those who can't think there's something wrong, or envy those who do, or would like to...... Forget it!
    Just leave it...
    "Sufficient unto the day the troubles thereof...."

You know....? ;)
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks. That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure!

I have to sort out here and now..I DO NOT wnat to have to worry about the past...phew!:scratch:
  • edited January 2006
    I am curious about 'former lives'. I read somewhere (I have read so much I cannot remember exactly where) that it is possible to discover your former life????
    If anyone would like to share any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks, Marybeth

It is possible and in practice not that uncommon but it's also a dead end in some ways and a distraction, as are all such 'abilities'.
  • edited January 2006
    hmm where to start... today started out ok, went to the bank to cash my payroll check to find I can't cash it cause the bank is out of state, so it had to be deposited. I had hoped tto cash it so I could pay some rent that I have owed for a bit. So I hoped nothing would become of that. About a half hour ago I got a knock on my door and it was a notary or something with a detainer warrant to go to court next tuesday to face the eviction process. So overall, not a good day.. sorry for rambling about my life's problems! carry on... :bawling:
  • edited January 2006
    ramble on...we can be here for that too!!

Sorry to hear you had such a discouraging day...
  • edited January 2006
    the discouraging part is, my family moved down here to TN from MA cause we were getting so much in the hole we thought this would help bring us out of it. We cut our rent in half just by moving, so in theory that should have put us ahead. But that has not been the case. So I guess we'll just have to see what happens from here. I have never had to deal with an eviction notice so I have no idea how this works. POOP!

Thanks for the kindness Sharpiegirl!! :)
  • edited January 2006
    There are things that you can do. If you can make payments, do so, judges are far less likely to allow eviction if you can show that you are making efforts to pay, even if you cannot pay the full amount.
  • edited January 2006
    I was planning on asking for the court to allow that. I have every intention of paying it, I have never been behind on rent before. It just unfortunatly took me a little bit to get a job down here and the hole I was in got deeper. Thanks for the advice though I appreciate it!
  • edited January 2006
    You might also want to try a free mediation service, hopefully there is one in your area and often they can assist with things like this.
  • edited January 2006
    hmm I'll have to look into that, again I appreciate the advice. Thank you.
  • edited January 2006
    Well today is a new day and I had a bit of time to reflect on the situation and I just wanted to say sorry for putting out such a personal thing when I should have just dealt with it myself. Today I am not worrying as much about it as it is not in the now, it is next week and I don't need to feel the stress. But anyway, I just wanted to apologise for coming out and saying how horrible my day was, when I should have kept it to myself.

So anyway...

Today was great. I was able to use my skill of problem solving to help a few customers that were at wits end and make their day a bit brghter. So today was much better.
    edited January 2006
    Right.

Stop right there.

You do not have to apologise for venting and releasing.
    There was nothing ill-advised or tactless about your post.
    if we can't all sound off a bit, what is life?
    As a good friend said to me, the whole point is that being Human means we do these things.
    We wouldn't be human if we couldn't express ourselves freely now and then. Chill.
    Glad today was better.
    if indeed it was... ;)
  • edited January 2006
    today truly was much better, I put everything negative behind me and focused on the positive. Thanks for the words of wisdom Fed!
  • edited January 2006
    ...My days are all starting to blend together! I don't like when that happens. I wake up with the attitude that it's a new day...what wonders will occur today? By noon, I can't remember what day of the week it is!!!!
    I have written IN MY TEACHERS PLAN BOOK, to take time out. Everyday my students have a specials class (art, gym, etc.). So I figure if I get to school early I can do all the teacher arrands I need to do. And at least half of that 35 mintues can be for me to settle. And once I get the meditation thing down....:doh:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Don't the kids come in and bother you?
  • edited January 2006
    Jerbear...no because they are in another class. They do not return until a given time.
    I don't think I could meditate...it was just be a reflection time, or just just sit quiet.
  • edited January 2006
    Pretty good considering we broke down 50 miles from home with two dogs in the van on a blind corner. Thinking it was out of fuel I set off to walk the two miles to the nearest garage, flagged down the next car to pass me and it was a ..... TAXI :)

We eventually phoned the assistance line and got a breakdown truck to tow us to the garage with me sitting in the van with the dogs at an angle of about 45° vertical, which was an interesting fairground ride - the old feller was in the comfy (and heated) breakdown truck.

It was minus 2C and we then faced the problem of getting a taxi home (and one that didn't mind two 35lb dogs in there as well!) The nice young man brought us home and we took him in the house for coffee as he was going to have a long drive back. The assistance covered the taxi fare which was about £70 so we didn't have to pay that.

No one got cross, no one blamed anyone and when I was sitting in the van getting frostbite I wrapped the dogs blanket around my feet chanting "this too will pass" and felt unreasonably (and unfeasibly for me) calm about the whole thing. So, how was my day? Pretty good really.
    edited January 2006
    I am having a really good laugh about this... But only because I know you so well, and realise the potential of what might have come to pass....!! ;)
    Is everything ok now?
    What's up with the van?
  • edited January 2006
    Yes - you of all people can envisage the total carnage that might have ensued from that scenario, blood and snot everywhere!

The van is half way between here and Richard's - the old feller has no transport but Tonto the Moto until the weekend as I am in the car for work and I think it is a problem with the fuel pump.

Not too disastrous so! And who said all this Buddhist reading wasn't doing me any good? Eh? Hmm? Not so much the firewitch now eh?

Oh bugger, that was pride, wasn't it - back to the drawing board!