Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How was your day?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Well it's wednesday at 10:15am and yesterday sucked....
    I had appointments with my JobCentre, who's going to send me on a course on how to present myself and do well at job interviews.... I'm 48, I've worked in the Commercial sector where I've had thirty people under me, and I gotta do this to "show I'm willing and serious in my intention to find work" - !! Sheeesh!
    I also had to apply to social security, because through a strange twist of French fate (I'm not going to go into the lengthy ins-and-outs of French Bureocracy or Admin) I'm not entitled to Unemployment Benefit....
    I also discovered that the Solicitor I engaged on August 4th in the UK to handle my side of things regarding the divorce, has decided out of hand to not proceed with the case after all (she told me this on Friday last) because she's there and I'm here and distance is prohibitive and it makes things difficult.... she just can't be arsed....
    So I've had to find another one in a damn hurry, but it's "set things back" over a month....
    Sheeesh #2!
    But hey!! It's Wednesday, it's a brand new Autumn day, and Here and Now is actually great! I'm having a cup of Tea, and just chillin'..... well, there you go. Another day!
  • edited September 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    Osiyo Brother Simon,

May I suggest something for the disrupting energies you are feeling. Here is what i do. I go and find a tree to sit as close to as I can. This way i can share my energies with that of the tree. And if the energies are disruptive, brother or sister tree as the case may be, can help me brush it away.

I somtimes use a sweet grass and sage rope while I am doing this. It just depends on how much I need to let go. ( P.S. If you need a rope Pm me and let me know where to send one)

Moon Lgt - how do you know to do all of these things? It amazes me!
  • edited September 2005
    Fede - sorry to hear of your troubles! I hope you find the type of job that you are looking for.
  • edited September 2005
    Yogamama, These things are the traditions of my people. I have had the wonderful opportunity to study with kind and gentle elders who never had any major problem with explaining things to me. Even tho I do ask alot of questions.. LOL.

I was not raised on the reservation. So I went back to learn the tradition of my people, to understand my own self. It has taken many years. And I am still learning. But one Elder gave me the best wisdom I ever heard. Never stop trying to understand the world we live in. For each new day brings new understanding.
  • edited September 2005
    MoonLgt - I find your posts fascinating! I just love reading them. Thank you for teaching me so much. My Uncle lived in Santa Fe for many years and was married to a Native American woman for many years. Their two children now live on a reservation. My Uncle owns a business that puts on many of the "Indian Arts Festivals" around the country. I have helped him out many times, and I always enjoy it. I don't get to see my Uncle much since he is in Arizona, but I always wish I had learned more from his ex-wife and my cousins.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Thank you, Night Hawk!

Here is what I did:

I let images of our local treese move through my imagination, neither pulling nor pushing, allowing the dowser in me to operate. One local tree kept coming back, shining more brightly than all the others. By no accident at all, it is a tree that was to be cut down but which a group of us managed to save.

It is a native British tree, the Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus for the pedants).

And, truly, a time of sitting under her, against her bark, has cooled my mind and gentled my spirit.

Interestingly enough, Edward Bach used hornbeam as one of his remedies. He says about it:
    For those who feel that they have not sufficient strength, mentally or physically, to carry the burden of life placed upon them; the affairs of every day seem too much for them to accomplish, though they generally succeed in fulfilling their task. For those who believe that some part, of mind or body, needs to be strengthened before they can easily fulfil their work.

This not the actual tree but a pic I found on the Net of another hornbeam, which I used to visit in London.

• edited September 2005
    That's a beautiful Tree Brother Simon. And I can see why anyone would be drawn to sit beside it.
    As for here in California, The Santa Ana winds have started along with the fires. They usually last for a month. Time for me to go find a tree.
  • edited September 2005
    Simon - what a fantastic tree!

Growing up in Haida country (West Coast of Canada) gave me a wonderful appreciation of trees.

In the Uk, seeing as there are so few, you notice them alot more!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005

It is a native British tree, the Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus for the pedants).

[/font]

.... I think he means me...... *giggle*
    edited September 2005
    I have a job interview tomorrow (Friday 30th Sept.) at 13:00 in Besançon for a Hotel receptionist. Must speak fluent English (I do - arguably) and have a third language (I do, definitely.) I'm not holding my breath, given the penchant the French have of employing French Nationals first & foremost despite their lack of experience or fluency.... But at least I HAVE an interview. And they wouldn't have given it to me if they didn't think it was at least worth seeing me....
    I'll keep you all posted!
  • edited September 2005
    Good Luck Fed, By the way how many languages do you speak?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Good luck, fede! :)
  • edited September 2005
    Good luck, Fede! Let us know how it goes!
    edited September 2005
    Thank you everyone.... Moonlgt, I speak three languages, English, French and Italian. The last has been said to be one of the easies tlanguages to learn, because it's largely phoenetic, but unfortunately, it hardly figures as being an important one to learn, because Italy is not exactly significant, Globally or Economically.
    Historically, it did quite well up to the end of the Roman Empire.... and paradoxically, it is the Capital of the Catholic Church - and the City within the City (the Vatican) is situated in Rome - the Seat of an Empire dedicated originally (among other things) to persecuting and annihilating the Christians...... I believe the term is - Go figure - ?!? :crazy: :lol:
    edited September 2005
    See what happens when you let Christians in, Fede. Rome was doing OK with rape and pillage, and along came all these worshippers of the White God and buggered the whole thing up. And they leave such a mess with their idol-smashing!
    edited September 2005
    "......And then you go an' spoil it all by sayin' sumpin' stoopid like......."

Aaaaaah Buh- leeeeevuh!
    edited September 2005
    here's a good one I might put into the quotations thread....

"To be, is to do, is to Be." Aristotle.

To do, is to be, is to Do." S. Freud.

'Be-doo, do-be-do, do-be-doo.' Francis Albert Sinatra.
  • SarSar
    edited September 2005
    Federica, I hope your interview went well today!! :) Let us know how it went and when you start! ;)

What job are you interviewing for?! :scratch:
  • edited September 2005
    Fed, I totally understand, Cherokee isn't a worldly language either. But it does raise a few eyebrows when I start spouting off.. LOL. I only asked because I thought maybe you might be able to use those assets in a new career.:p
    edited September 2005
    Right, well, I think the interview went OK.... I turned up in good time clad in my best bib & tucker.... in fact we (Nick came with me in moral support, bless him...)were in very good time, because I wanted to find the place, and so left myself plenty of time in which to do so. That wasn't a problem....
    We spent a good hour and a half in the interview, which makes me think she thought I was worth talking to, otherwise I'm pretty sure she would have called a halt a lot sooner.... in fact, she said she was presenting a shortlist of hopeful candidates to the MD this afternoon, and that I'd be among them, so she was pleased to have had the opportunity of seeing me.... I will know by close of business whether I was successful in getting to stage 'B' or not....:cool:
  • SarSar
    edited September 2005
    Yay, Federica! :bigclap: It sounds like it went really well! :D

So when you say end of business, do you mean today?!!! You must be really excited! At least you'll be able to celebrate *fingers crossed* (although you won't need it!) all over the weekend!

Yay for you! :)
    edited September 2005
    Well, I gathered she meant 'end of today', but I've heard nothing yet.... still, there's another six hours here until midnight....*LOL!!*
  • SarSar
    edited October 2005
    Did you hear anything on the run up to midnight?! :lol:

I bet they will just call you on Monday! Have I missed what the job is?! :scratch:
    edited October 2005
    No, she rang me, at around 6:30pm local time.... basically, I'm out of the running.
    She suggested that my skills were better adapted to working perhaps in a smaller, independently run hotel, rather than a busy, international chain , which translates as 'you don't fit our image because you're too old...'

And this is the problem in the jobmarket today folks: believe me, i've done my research, so this isn't sour grapes, this is "reality"...
    Anyone under 30 is still part of the employment mountain. Anyone over 50 is way past it. (I'm virtually there at 48.) Why? because they're the ideal. Pardon? Well, listen up....

They're unlikely to have complex relationship situations, get preganant or move somewhere else. They're ususally settled in their lifestyle now, too old to be starting a family, and they own their home, the mortgage is usually paid up, or just about. BUT: the big thing that counts against them is: they may well have a wealth of experience and knowledge at their fingertips, a huge mental archive and database on which to draw. They have people skills and good qualifications.... so guess what? They merit a high salalry. And bosses would rather risk a low-pay employee whom they can replace easily (plenty of fish.....) rather than invest in an employee who is better, more experienced and more capable than they are.
    And this is going to pose a gigantic problem globally: because people are living longer, and staying 'younger'. Even compared to figures of the elderly in 1995, when women could expect to get to their mid-eighties, early nineties. Men then, could expect to get to their early to mid eighties. Now - only 10 years later, you can add five years all round.... medical care, diet, social conditions and life in general is stezdily improving. What the heck are governments going to do with all these people who are being retired ad 60 and 65, and who are living virtually another half lifetime beyond that?!?

My advice - for what it's worth - to you "young 'uns" is: get yourself solid qualifications in a job that's going to be long-term. Technology, science, teaching.... Then stick at a job which will turn into a long-term career. You'll accumulate pension rights that way.
    The job market is narrowing and the field of applicants is widening..... do your research, find what you're good at, and go for it.
  • SarSar
    edited October 2005
    :( Oh Federica! They don't know what they're missing out on!

I can understand your analogy of the job industry and it is such a sad state of affairs! I even bet that these companies whinge when their young staff leave etc!!!! :rolleyes:

I would love to take your advice on getting a decent job, but i'm afraid that's not me! I'm going to grow my own job and stick with that! (I'm gaining the qualifications though - never stop learning!)

You'll get a better job in no time! :)
  • edited October 2005
    Fed, I'm so sorry. But that company obiviously doesn't know what they are missing out on. Being that I do alot of hiring. I know what my company looks for.
    And you are 100% correct in the fact that they are looking for people mostly in thier 30's and below.

The main reason is economics,
    1. they don't expect a 30 something to stay any longer than 5 years, so they don't have to pay out on the retirement funds.
    2. They can offer a lower wage.
    3. Insurance and workman's comp at least here in the US is based on age. The younger you are the less you have to pay.
    4. They also look for ex-military that they can get tax incentives on and can basically run any way they want because of their training.

Although no company is supposed to discrimininate based on Age,Sex,Race and Religion, and some of our postions are held by people over 40. Such as myself. This is the standard practice of most companies in the US.

Sad isn't it.
    edited October 2005
    What? Those idiots. Don't they know I hired you? What better qualifications do you need? :crazy:

You can put down on your CV "Management position at the world-renowned newbuddhist.com online community" :p

You'll find something, fede. I have faith :mullet:
    edited October 2005
    Thank you all for your moral support, you don't know how much it's appreciated. It feels a little bit odd being turned down for such a trite reason, knowing that it is in fact a thinly-veiled indication that they think I'm over the hill'.... weird, because I still feel "20" in the adult scheme of things.... Bit as I've said before, I sometimes feel my inner child manifests outwardly a lot - and she's only 9....!!

The sad thing is, that most rejection will be on the grounds of some type of discrimination - but companies have to be so careful now as to what reason they give for turning down any applicant. However true it might be, "You're too fat/old/black/lesbian/ugly/religious" really doesn't sound good.....! But is sugaring the pill any more constructive? :(:confused:

Aaah well.... back to the drawing board.... I'm off to update my CV....Brian, can I put 'Chief Executive'....? :grin:
  • edited October 2005
    Sorry to hear you did not get the position, Fede. :( Hang in there and I hope you find somehting soon. Maybe the real reason you didn't get this position was because a better one is coming along. :)
    edited October 2005
    Today, old Brother Donkey is complaining! Monday was my CT scan and today my 'flu jab! I have the usual temperature spike from the latter so I sha'n't post much till I have stopped sweating and imagining things!
  • edited October 2005
    Sorry to hear you have the flu, Simon. :( I had it last year and thought I was oging ot die! It was awful. Hang in there...hope you are feeling better soon.
    edited October 2005
    Last night I experienced something I never experienced before. I starting shaking uncontrollably. It was the strangest thing.

This morning I feel fine. A lot of work to catch up on (I haven't been working much lately).

Simon, best of luck! One time I had fever dreams when I was younger and very sick, and I saw thousands of monkeys in my living room! :eek:
    edited October 2005
    Brian wrote:
    One time I had fever dreams when I was younger and very sick, and I saw thousands of monkeys in my living room! :eek:

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe they were actually there?!?

Simon, hope you're feeling better...!

I know when I was a kid, they had to hospitalise me due to an undiagnosed abdominal condition, and the first night I saw seven Father Christmases tip-toeing thorugh the ward - they scared the s**t out of me....! I told the nurse in the morning about my fever in the night, and she said, "Oh yes, they were on their way back from rehearsal, and took a short -cut through the ward." Well, that did two things: one: it told me I was lucid, and two: it shot down in flames any belief I might have held about Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Equal Rights for Women...!! :grin:
  • edited October 2005
    LOL federica!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Brian,

That sounds rather scary. Are you sure you're alright? Do I have to move back to Michigan just to keep an eye on you? Either you have way too much stress at the moment and are experiencing the wonderful world of anxiety, or you're epileptic. :(

Simon,

I hope that the CT scan results bring you good news, and I hope that your 'flu' jab wears off soon. I'm routing for you - Go immune system, Go! Yeeeeaaaaaaa immune system!

As for myself, I have been worrying about all of you since you are all either ill and/or having difficult times. I have some physical pains (especially in my hip joint and bottom of foot), but one must get used to enduring physical pain. Besides that I can't complain. I must get ready for work soon, however. A janitors work is never done!

Up up and away!!!!!
  • edited October 2005
    Well, my day went okay. I am glad it is Friday because I am tired from work! I have been kept hopping today trying to get out medical parts that are needed ASAP! I am in the midst of Mid-term madness in college as well and I will be so glad when it is over!:wow:

I hope all of you who are sick get better soon!

Adiana:wavey: :rockon: :cool:
    edited October 2005
    The very best of luck to you both, Fede and Nick. Nil carborundum illegitimi!
    edited October 2005
    Care to pop over and come along, Simon? What a team I would have flanking me....!

Ego sum memor pro vestri suscipio! (I think!!)
    edited October 2005
    I have a deep, visceral distrust of all legal systems and, particularly, the French! Avocats make even US attorneys seems like nice people.
  • edited October 2005
    Simon, That's Scary! I know several U.S. Attorneys here and they can be real junk yard dogs if they smell money.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    Simon, That's Scary! I know several U.S. Attorneys here and they can be real junk yard dogs if they smell money.

Tell me about it. After going through a divorce, I have even less respect for attorneys.

You know what a sperm cell and an attoryney have in common?

About 1 in 3,000,000 a chance of becoming a human being.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    mountainL.jpg
    edited October 2005
    BSF - if you tell me you decided to do a little landscaping in your garden today.... small pond, alpine rockery... and got a bit carried away - Well, I'll believe it....!!
    edited October 2005
    Due to the sensitive and legal nature of this thread, I decided to delete this thread. Thanks to all who posted, but it's still sub judiciae, and as such, on reflection, I feel it shouldn't be discussed on open forum.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    boc boc boc...

-bf
    edited November 2005
    We have just had our first snow of the winter.

I have had the blessing to live in Oxford under snow, Paris under snow and Edinburgh under snow: three cities which become stunning and mysterious, but nothing compares with our valleys under a blanket of snow. Fairyland!
    edited November 2005
    Yes, so have we....
    there's something enchanting and magical about a hitherto familiar landscape transformed in this way.... especially when seen against a backdrop of an absolutely clear azure winter sky.... it's breathtaking - or 'epoustoufflant!' as the french say.....
    More falls are scheduled over the next four days, so if we get snowed in, that in itself will be an adventure!
  • edited November 2005
    federica wrote:

More falls are scheduled over the next four days, so if we get snowed in, that in itself will be an adventure!

Excellent news! I'm off snowboarding in Tignes in 3 weeks and was getting a bit worried that I'd turn up and it would be all green meadows !
    edited November 2005
    No chance! Lady Winter always delivers! Have a wonderul time! send me a postcard! Stay safe and on piste!
  • edited November 2005
    Ha ha, thank you! Fortunately I suffer from an overly developed sense of self-preservation so I won't be doing any big jumps - or even small ones for that matter!
    Definately staying on-piste though unless we manage to get an experienced guide for a day - just not worth the risk otherwise.