Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Teaching other people about buddhism who don't neccisarily ask about it? What's your opinion?

I've talked a little about it to a friend or two, they didn't ask about it but who would not considering it to be something that could really help them if they don't know about it? it has helped me a lot. If it's done in a open minded way, when is it alright and not alright to express the power of Buddhism?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Enthusiasm will always run away with you in the beginning.
    I mean, it's so damn brilliant, everyone should know about it....shouldn't they??

The answer is - No.

Most Buddhists will tell you that preaching/proselytising is not really the done thing, by laypeople particularly.

The best thing to do, is to show them, over time, what absolutely stunning changes it makes to your life, by letting them see for themselves how your behaviour, speech, attitude and kindness has improved.

Actions speak louder than words.

Don't 'say'.

'Do'.

Oh and, 'the Power of Buddhism'?

Buddhism has no power.
    The power comes from you. Buddhism merely draws the diagram for how to plug in.

• If they ask about it, then you can talk about it. One gains merit by sharing the dharma with those who haven't heard about it, but it could be considered an aggressive act to impose it on people, so one waits until they bring the subject up themselves.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I see nothing wrong with telling a friend that Buddhism helped you in similar circumstances ... same as you might tell them about the good effects you experienced by taking two aspirin for a headache.

But the addition of "virtue" is a constant danger ... something to be careful about. A friend who needs help needs help. No need to run a virtue number on a friend. Just help in the best way you know how ... and don't expect it will help. :)
  • What she (federica) said! image B. has no power. I agree. IT's not even a religion as far as I'm concerned. It's a psychology. A huge psychology since it involves multiple lifetimes and Kharma and such.

IMO? UNLESS you are explicitly asked about it? Keep your mouth shut about the "mechanics" of Buddhism and express Buddhism through your interactions with others over time.

Maybe it's like the piano. Nobody wants to hear you learning (practicing over and over, dissecting, and going slowly making as few mistakes as possible). People want to hear you perform, express, they want the demonstration!
  • I've talked a little about it to a friend or two, they didn't ask about it but who would not considering it to be something that could really help them if they don't know about it?
    Let your actions speak for themselves.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    If they ask about it, then you can talk about it. One gains merit by sharing the dharma with those who haven't heard about it, but it could be considered an aggressive act to impose it on people, so one waits until they bring the subject up themselves.
    I agree with this. People who bring the subject up themselves are usually open to hearing about it, and not uncommonly are already inclined towards it.

• I just talk about Buddhism if someone asks about my japa mala, after identifying as buddhist or if it comes up (while talking of similar topics, meditation and so on).
  • Buddhists don't really stand on street corners with bullhorns spreading the word of Buddha. Sometimes when my girlfriend talks about some of her problems, I find it hard just to listen without telling her what to do about it. Considering 90% of her problems would seem trivial if she got into meditation, I really have to bite my tongue.

As others have said, let your actions speak for themselves.
  • Not gonna much good if they are not already searching for sth more meaningful in life.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Preaching without invitation is not generally encouraged in Buddhism.

This is because we feel people must come to experience Dharma themselves.

Of course, as others have said, it is perfectly fine, even a good thing, to discuss Buddhism with others who have expressed an interest.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Don't teach them Buddhism. Don't be a Buddhist. If you think the time is right, that they're receptive to such things, teach them of impermanence. Ask them if they can find anything in all this world, this life, that doesn't change. Ask them if they can find anything about themselves that doesn't change; if they're the same person they were when they were a child. Ask them where they came from, how come they're so big now and they were once small? :D

Spiritual pushers and dealers are not looked upon in a good way.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I've talked a little about it to a friend or two, they didn't ask about it but who would not considering it to be something that could really help them if they don't know about it? it has helped me a lot. If it's done in a open minded way, when is it alright and not alright to express the power of Buddhism?
    Dont. Anyone expressing the power of any religion to anyone without prior consent or interest isnt going to get anyone a good reputation.
    If one sets a god example of morale discipline and compassion then questions will come naturally.
  • I completely agree with almost everything that has already been said in the replies. I don't have an exact quote handy, but I believe it is in the teachings NOT to try and "convert" others. If they specifically ask and show interest, of course, but no, trying to "show" others in an attempt to help is not the way of the Dharma.

I have a friend who I think would be greatly inspired if he took the time to read about Buddhism. But he knows I practice Buddhism, he can ask if he wants. He's made occasional references to it, and when he does I respond, but ONLY then.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Set a good example and be skillfull, one doesnt have to talk about "BUDDHISM"
    My friends found the concept of emptiness very intriging and karma as well and thus naturally sparked interest.
  • edited March 2011
    I used to mention it to my old friends and they would come back with some extremely mild bigotry. Seriously, very very diluted but bigoted nevertheless. Too bad (or maybe not).

Sooooo..., what am I supposed to do? What I've been doing for years: be a good Buddhist (as best I can of course -probably a C+ student if grades were given) without them knowing it.

• It's okay to be more proactive in promoting Buddhism, imo.

I will sometimes mention and/or recommend meditation to people who sound like they could use it and would be open to it.

One friend of mine said his doctor recommended he find some stress-relieving activities, such as yoga. I told him to try meditation. I sent him some links, which he looked at, and eventually he joined some meditation class somewhere. I don't know if he will stick with it, though.

I convinced another friend to give it a try, which she did. Interesting, one of her friends heard from her that I was into meditation and, from what I heard, she sounded somewhat interested. So I emailed her and gave a hard sell. She read a book I recommended, started meditating on her own, and ended up hiring her own private meditation teacher!

Other times I'm more sly when a hard sell is not advisable: A friend of mine likes to knit while watching TV. She also mentioned that she had anxiety issues. I told her to try knitting without TV, computer or any other distractions, and to just focus on the knitting. She did, and now makes it a point to do some portion of her knitting in silence.

Other times advice falls on deaf ears and I don't bother pursuing it, but that's like any other advice I give, Buddhist or non-Buddhist.

I think it really comes down to when, what and how you present your ideas.

You also have to be aware of your own intentions and make sure they are wholesome. Do you really want to help this person? Or are you more interested in glorifying your own choices?

If you give advice from respect, humility, compassion and understanding, I don't think you'll go wrong.

I think that the problem with proselytizers is that they are more concerned with either building an army of supporters or building up their own egos.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    People who bring the subject up themselves are usually open to hearing about it, and not uncommonly are already inclined towards it.

I'd like to agree but this hasn't been my experience.

P
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

...everyone should know about it....shouldn't they??

The answer is - No.

Most Buddhists will tell you that preaching/proselytising is not really the done thing, by laypeople particularly.

The best thing to do, is to show them, over time, what absolutely stunning changes it makes to your life, by letting them see for themselves how your behaviour, speech, attitude and kindness has improved.

Actions speak louder than words.

Don't 'say'.

'Do'.

I agree wholeheartedly with this section of Federica's response.

I first visited Thailand in about 1987, and let's face it, you don't visit Thailand without visiting some Thai Buddhist temples. My then roommate's family in Chiang Mai offered to take me sightseeing and took me to the hilltop temple there and let me witness the Buddhist rites in which they participated. They did not generate any discussion, other than to say that they thought I would like to see what Thai people do in a Buddhist temple. There was no suggestion of any type that I should become Buddhist or that Buddhism was the right way.

A year later I again went to Thailand and generated a couple of discussions with monks. One involved proselytizing. That monk said very clearly that proselytizing was not appropriate because the only way one could come to Buddhist beliefs was to seek it out themselves, not by having others push them toward it.

While my friends have long known that I follow many Buddhist principles, I have never initiated conversations about it. If they ask questions, I answer as best I can. A couple of friends asked me to take them to a Thai Buddhist temple in the Washington, D.C. area, and I did so. While I explained things to them, I did not in any way try to say Buddhism was better (one was Jewish, the other Christian). They have often expressed their appreciation for the introduction to Buddhism, but have not pursued it. What made me happy was that they have an appreciation of Buddhism, just as I can appreciate their beliefs.

My personal belief is that no religion has all the wisdom and all the answers. Buddhism fulfills many of my needs, but not all. I value it for what it is and does.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Yeah you have to come to it through your own reasoning. The mind resists being told that such and such beliefs are the truth, when it already has its own set of beliefs. It has to actively seek out the truth and find it reasonable that the Buddhist teachings do represent the truth, and henceforth follow the teachings and the Noble Eightfold Path. There's no need to ever try and convert people to Buddhism, as they will come to it of their own when their mind is disturbed with their current views.