Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jesus is the way... please help....

a friend came over the other day and noticed my books and information on buddhism and asked me what it was about. i told her that it was my beliefs. she started ranting and raving about how jesus is the way and the light of the world- and no man can go to god but through him, etc. no need to elaborate on all her comments- but i just wanted to know- what can u say to this? i know that i am going to be asked so much about it all the time and i am currently just remaining quiet and excusing myself, but what is recommended when people attack my belief system and try to force theirs down my throat- threatening me with burning fires and eternal hell?
i am getting a bit frustrated and its ruining my state of mind.

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Say: Well, lets just hope the benevolent God will let a good person into Heaven. If He exists, I assume this is what he'd do. And before you attack my beliefs, make sure you actually know what you're attacking. Know what Buddhism is before you shoot it down. Now, care for some tea?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    There is no arguing with people who are convinced by their beliefs ... really, it's a waste of time ... Christians, Buddhists, philosophers ... save your breath.

As a practical matter, you might keep a couple of things in mind when talking with "friends" who insist on being unfriendly. 1. When confronted by someone who insists on Jesus or Buddha or whatever pet they've chosen as a means of asserting or attaining some happiness, hear them out. And then, because you are "friends," you might say something like, "I am really happy you have found a way that provides answers and joy in your life. Really, I am happy for you." If they try to rekindle the debate and get you to agree with them, just tell them again how happy you are for them. Don't play the my-stuff-is-better-than-your-stuff game. 2. If you feel inclined to describe your interest in Buddhism, describe it just that way: "My interest and my experience is such-and-such." Don't say "this is the one true faith" or "I know everything about Buddhism" or "Buddhism is best." Just state your preference in the same way you might say in a restaurant, "I prefer chicken."

Just a couple of thoughts.
  • This is just me and what I would probably do, but I would go along with genaku completely, and then if this friend persists, I would say "I would prefer not to discuss this in my own home."
  • Well said Sherabdorje, I've actually had to say that to stop the debate quick and fast! Don't let anyone influence your life in that way!
  • "I'm glad your religion means so much to you. My religion taught me it's rude to go around lecturing and criticizing people. Now, what were we talking about, before this?"
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @2bEnlightened, Tell them that you respect their beliefs and hope that they respect yours. If you know them good enough to be able to ask this, ask them "If you are so sure, and sure of where you're going when you die, tell me this: Why are you still afraid to die?".

Always keep in mind that people only know what they are taught and figure out for themselves from their life experiences. Don't judge them poorly for their conditioning. Also Buddhism is a means of awakening of the mind to the reality of the mind itself, it doesn't necessarily mean there's no truth to be found in other "religions".
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Ask her how her religion benefits her in the here and now rather than after her death...

When people describe cathartically good experiences and analyze them it usually deflates them haha
  • i am getting a bit frustrated and its ruining my state of mind.
    Sounds like it's taking your mind right where it needs to be. You might try thanking her for the feedback and inviting her harshest criticism.
  • edited March 2011
    On the one hand, if I were perfect I would smile and be supportive of her and enjoy her enthusiasm and be detached from her needlessly-concerned expectations of me.

For example: Enlightened Beings will allow a mosquito to suck their blood while they pray for the insect's well being. I can't do that just yet!

I'm not perfected yet so I would (and indeed have) fortified myself with respect to such aggressive self-centered religious zeal by getting some reading done. Here's a good place to start (picture below). There are many others at Amazon.

The point? NOT to inflict harsh criticism BACK at her, but rather for you to have more confidence to relax and observe what's going on with her. See what she's under the influence of. Maybe even help HER relax and get better adjusted.

Good luck!

image versus image no big deal.

• Introduce them to Thomas Merton. Focus on the positive aspects of Christianity. You're not going to win if you try to introduce Buddhism to a Christian. You have to speak their language. Learn to smile and be patient around your Christian friends. They teach us patience and they give us a chance to understand truth in another light. Focus on the macro idea of Christianity rather than the details. Most Christians take the bible to be absolute truth and there is no room for interpretation. The bible in reality is metaphorical. People skew the message to fit their ideological/political motives.

Good luck telling that to someone whose whole life is constructed and secure around notions of heaven and hell, etc.
    All you can do is smile and nod and show them that you can be a great person with or without Jesus Christ.

Good luck.
  • a friend came over the other day and noticed my books and information on buddhism and asked me what it was about. i told her that it was my beliefs. she started ranting and raving about how jesus is the way and the light of the world- and no man can go to god but through him, etc. no need to elaborate on all her comments- but i just wanted to know- what can u say to this? i know that i am going to be asked so much about it all the time and i am currently just remaining quiet and excusing myself, but what is recommended when people attack my belief system and try to force theirs down my throat- threatening me with burning fires and eternal hell?
    I would suggest looking into the nature of "belief systems" to begin with.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    a friend came over the other day and noticed my books and information on buddhism and asked me what it was about. i told her that it was my beliefs. she started ranting and raving about how jesus is the way and the light of the world- and no man can go to god but through him, etc. no need to elaborate on all her comments- but i just wanted to know- what can u say to this? i know that i am going to be asked so much about it all the time and i am currently just remaining quiet and excusing myself, but what is recommended when people attack my belief system and try to force theirs down my throat- threatening me with burning fires and eternal hell?
    There are many different ways to handle this, some more confrontational than others. Here's how Ajahn Munindo handled a similar situation in the context of practicing metta (good will):
    One of the occasions I remember of waking to the power of kindness was when I first came to England. I was travelling on a train in a relatively empty carriage. About half a dozen people were sitting at one end of the carriage, and I thought I would sit down at the back of the carriage and be quiet. The guard came in and checked the tickets, went away, and then came back again and sat just over the aisle opposite to me. I thought: "This is strange - he is taking an interest in me; what does he want? I've got my ticket ... "

Then he moved over and said: "What are you up to then?" I thought, well, that's an invitation to speak on the Dhamma, isn't it! You know, we are not allowed to speak unless invited. and that was an invitation so I said: "Well, I'm a Buddhist monk and I live in a monastery in West sussex, and have been living in Thailand for a few years"

At this point he interrupted, saying: "Well listen, son, let me tell you ... " and he pulled a book out of his pocket and started waving it in my direction - and I didn't get another word in for about 25 minutes! He obviously had something important to tell me about. Initially I thought: "Well surely he asked me what I was about" and there was a little kind of ... "Why doesn't he give me a turn!?"

But it suddenly dawned on me that he really cared about me. I think I noticed it because I had just been standing on a railway station in the centre of London where people had a different attitude towards me altogether: they had a lot of aggression, and a lot of resistance. Here, sitting on the train, was this man generating a completely different energy - I sensed that he really cared about me. I left all of the argumentative carry-on in my head and came down to this sensitivity, to his really caring about me. I dwelt on that and I thought, "OK, well you care about me and I care about you. May you be radiantly happy, may there be no suffering in your life for you or your wife, or your children," He, of course, was going on and on, but I kept just this "May you be radiantly happy" going-and I really felt it. And after about 25 minutes he ran out; he stopped and said: "Well, tell me some more" And I started again and he started again; so I started, "May you be happy.." and it felt wonderful. I didn't really mind if he didn't want to listen to me ... "May you be happy ... "

Then we pulled into my station and I had to get off. Suddenly I had this tremendous feeling of affection for him. I thought: "What a nice encounter on a train" I reached over - he was very into Jesus - and I touched him an the arm and I said: "Do you love me? Well I love you and I'm sure that is all Jesus wants from us" He stopped and looked, something really happened at that moment, we really touched each other; a potential situation for a lot of aggression had been really tamed. This is the taming power of kindness.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    jason, thank you for sharing Ajahn Munindo's experience. that was beautiful to read :)
  • Yeah. What zg said. image
  • I live in a very rural small town, VERY traditional. Whenever any of my neighbors come into my house, see my Buddha statues, or if for some reason the conversation happens to bring up that I'm Buddhist (which I generally do not bring up), they literally look at me like I have three heads, as though I just said I worship Satan. I've had UNBELIEVABLY ignorant comments from the locals here. One neighbor even asked "So does this mean you support terrorism and the 9/11 attacks?" Talk about ignorant.

I generally say, if it's a "polite" reaction by them, "Well, I certainly respect your beliefs, I assume you will respect mine" and then change the subject.

If they are more rude in their reaction to hearing I'm Buddhist, I say in a casual yet firm manner, "I'll tell ya what, I won't knock your beliefs and you don't knock mine. How's that?" and then that usually shuts them up.

If they are polite and interested (rare), then I might share a few basic principal beliefs of Buddhism, that we practice loving-kindness, compassion toward all beings, etc. But that's only if they are interested.

I have an aunt that I am very close with in all regards, except religion. She is a Jehovah's Witness and once attempted to argue with me that Buddha is a God that is worshipped. As "proof" she brought out a Jehovah's Witness published book on world religions, reading from it that clearly Buddha is a God. There was no explaining to her that it was incorrect; she was reading a book published by her own religion. All I could say was "I would suggest doing some reading from non-baised books, because Buddha was absolutely not a God and never claimed to be". We agreed to disagree, but yes, it is frustrating.

Bottom line is some Christians are hell bent (no pun intended) on "saving us" and there's nothing we can do to change their minds. I wouldn't want to change their beliefs any more than I would want them to change mine, so debating it may come off that way. I think it's best just to ask that they respect your beliefs as a friend and change the subject.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    just tell your friend that it is not a religion but books that discuss morality, and how to be a more moral and a better person, which all agrees with catholic stuff.

But it also contain mind training techniques to allow you to develop your mind and be able to concentrate more easily (on things like homework if she is at school age).

You can tell her "if you want to be good at sport, you will exercise your body often and get better right? So I want to be good at thinking and dealing with emotions, so i exercise my mind so it become stronger."
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    I am with fivebells on this. You have a perfect opportunity to cultivate. Watch your feelings during these sessions and try to find a way to let go of your aversion.

When you can engage in a heated debate without ill-will or negative feelings then you have learned a real buddhist lesson.

Otherwise just tell your friend you do not like to discuss the subject...firmly. Several times if needed.

If you want to do it the agressive way then attack her belief. It is not hard to do if you know your bible...but I do not really advise that. It is cruel and petty.. But it may be the only way to make her stop.

Kr Victor

• Folks, many of you apparently have little experience at dealing with fundamantalist Christians. You make the common mistake of thinking this type of person is willing and able to listen to anything you have to say.

Get it through your heads, that to some people you are evil, Idol worshipers at worse and morons who have been brainwashed by the Devil at best. They are not at all interested or willing to listen and if you try to say anything, it only gives them an excuse to continue the confrontation. They know everything they need to know, and their preachers have told them all they need to know about your pagan, idol worshiping ways. Don't waste your time trying to hold a conversation with a closed mind. All it does it make the person angry and frustrates you.

Not every encounter is going to be an opportunity to spread the gospel of Buddha. Sometimes all you can do is practice your compassion for the person and not take it personally.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @2bEnlightened

I would just simply respect my friend's right to have their opinion but I would point I disagree with their viewpoint.

Kind regards

:)
  • You simply say, "Thank you for sharing. Let's make a deal; I'll respect your right to believe as you with if you'll respect mine." and pick up the conversation where it left off.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Well its a good oppertunity to practise that much needed perfection...patience, People generally say that their version of the " TRUTH " is the only correct one in fact most religions say to some extent or another that they are the only right one so I really dont take people seriously if they start raving that theirs is the only right way when there are thousands of other versions that claim the same.

(....)

a good friendship is basis of respect if she's a christian remind her that it is god who will do the judging.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Vulgarity isn't called for.
    Was that comment really necessary?

bear in mind we have minors on this forum....
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Jesus is the way........I don't see the problem??
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The comment was aimed at caz namyaw.
    I removed a rather vulgar observation from his post.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Jesus is the way........I don't see the problem??
    rof.
    :rockon:
  • a friend came over the other day and noticed my books and information on buddhism and asked me what it was about. i told her that it was my beliefs. she started ranting and raving about how jesus is the way and the light of the world- and no man can go to god but through him, etc. no need to elaborate on all her comments- but i just wanted to know- what can u say to this? i know that i am going to be asked so much about it all the time and i am currently just remaining quiet and excusing myself, but what is recommended when people attack my belief system and try to force theirs down my throat- threatening me with burning fires and eternal hell?
    Zen koan - Where one come from and where would one goes to when died! It comes from the heart and goes back into the heart :clap:
    If you are a male and she is a female, probably is that she is looking for true sex to free the knot of love trap inside her, just wanna set her free :p
  • but i just wanted to know- what can u say to this?
    "Thanks for your concern. I'm very comfortable with my beliefs, and I think we both share a concern for the well being of others everywhere. Our beliefs may be different, but belief is a very personal thing to me, so I appreciate your respect for my beliefs just as I hope you appreciate my respect for yours."

Or words to that effect. If that doesn't work, just ignore it and talk about the weather.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi 2BEnlightened,

I try not to make a habit out of engaging with religious fanatics. But, I also believe there can be some benefit involved in doing so, if the mind is free of ill-will. The main benefit being that it may help you to clarify to yourself your own thoughts. My standard response when conversing with Christian fanatics:

Them: Jesus is the way. There is no other way to the kingdom of heaven except through him. If you do not accept Jesus then you will perish.

Me: Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine.

...hopefully this is the end of the conversation, but often it's not...

Them: Jesus was the Lord's only begotten son, no soul can be saved except through him. That is a fact, not an opinion, read your bible.

Me: Why is it fact?

Them: Because it's in the Bible.

Me: How do you know the Bible is fact?

Them: Because it was written by God.

Me: How do you know it was written by God?

Them: Because it says so in the Bible.

Me: Okay, suppose that is the case. It's not my fault I don't believe in the Bible, it's my conditioning to be skeptical of it. If God is compassionate and forgiving surely he will forgive me for not accepting Jesus and if I see God/Jesus after death I will ask forgiveness of him then.

Them: It will be too late then.

Me: What if I am a good person? Won't that account for anything?

Them: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from youselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do " (Eph. 2:8,9).

Me: So, according to you, I must accept that which I cannot see or verify in order to be saved - but - when I can see and verify it then it is too late to accept it? How could a compassionate and loving god subject me to that?

Them: It is not God's fault if you do not accept him, it is your own.

As you can see, there is no reasoning with such people. They use "circular reasoning" to defend their position. Therefore, it is probably a waste of time. But, I believe that maybe the younger Christians who are not yet firm in their faith, if they decide to attack your religion, if you use reason and logic you may be able to plant a seed in their mind that maybe they don't know everything.

There is nothing wrong with Christians in general, but the ones that are 100% convinced they are right based on faith alone and want to shout it from the hilltops can be quite challenging. There are bascially two types of Christians; those who want to save your soul and those who are happy to have a nice conversation with you. Don't allow your experience with the former to cloud your perception of the latter. Not all Christians are the same.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Cloud,
    @2bEnlightened, Tell them that you respect their beliefs and hope that they respect yours. If you know them good enough to be able to ask this, ask them "If you are so sure, and sure of where you're going when you die, tell me this: Why are you still afraid to die?".
    How can you be sure that they are afraid to die? Or, even if they are, that they will admit it?

Metta,

Guy
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @GuyC, That's for them to ponder over. Even if they don't admit they're afraid, they are. Who can honestly claim no fear of death at all, except perhaps an enlightened being or extremely rare cases? It's a question they should be able to answer to themselves honestly, because it really points out that there's something else at work. Some mental grasping or clinging that gives rise to that fear. The sense of self and a clinging to it, the fear of non-existence, is very powerful and empowers self-preservation to a great degree in human minds. Fearlessness of death usually means suicidal ideations or some kind of mental disease/condition.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Fearlessness of death usually means suicidal ideations or some kind of mental disease/condition.
    Or perhaps as a side-effect of blind faith (which is arguably a mental condition).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I don't really think so GuyC. On the one hand they think they have a soul, and think they're going to the "good place" (though who can be sure?), but on the other hand... the "soul" is the self-clinging, and that self doesn't want to die regardless. It rages against death to the very end, even if at the same time clinging to an idea that it will never die. This is the central conflict of many many human lives.

The fear, the clinging, it's all dukkha and it feeds upon itself.

We can overcome this conflict, but we have to give up all clinging to a self. Buddhism teaches how to do this. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Could always go this way:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvz/bible/bible-inconsistencies.pdf

If people really want to debate holy texts.

I like it that Buddha's teachings and life has a documented existence from "day one."

Jesus wasn't even mentioned until 80 years after his death, right? There are no 100% certain teachings of Jesus in existence.

Buddha? Unbroken lineage. Jesus, sadly fragmentary.

What makes me happy is Jesus and Buddha have quite parallel messages.

It's the elaborate mythology built around Jesus in this heavily edited, fragmentary and highly inconsistent Bible that's problematic.

Anyway, go easy on the Bible believers. AFAIK, many of them make a hairy claim to know all about an actual, one-and-only and absolute God's character and intentions. They're committed to that - wow, what a huge can of worms! Not that there's anything WRONG with that, and certainly not that _I_ know any better.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Roger, My days of actually debating the Bible are long over! :) I used to argue when I was growing up trying to figure it all out, considering my parents consider themselves Christian, and always had good points. What it comes down to is it doesn't matter how reasonable your arguments are or how unreasonable the opposition's arguments are, it's a matter of clinging/attachment (and opinion, on both sides). That attachment is supported by fear of annihilation and not-knowing. Now if a Christian were to go down the path to Nirvana and annihilate self-view, I can only imagine. :D

Besides, no reason to make a mockery of someone else's beliefs.
    We should all be polite to each other in respect of shared suffering.

This is why if a situation came up, I wouldn't make it about religion, just about right now. Here. This.

The biggest point, most easily made and noticeable, is that though everything in life shows itself to be impermanent... this is not how we live our lives. We do the opposite. We try to define ourselves, want things not necessarily in our control, have a lot of fear and anger (not to mention possessiveness). Falling from the cliff-top and heading toward inevitable change, trying to grab at everything we see on the way down.
  • edited March 2011
    @ That attachment is supported by fear of annihilation.
    Nice work Cloud (your whole post). After the initial humorous reaction, your statement I quoted above is poignant. I agree wholeheartedly we should be totally respectful and in the background when people are obviously seriously attached to something on that basis.

As you know, I was thinking of the original poster might be college age with different "standards." Yeah, probably not; probably the same standards. Why should they be different?! Just talking.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Roger, TY

We all consider ourselves to be unique, individual, and our way of thinking just-so and not quite like anyone else's. The truth is more that our experiences differ, but the way our mind works is the same. This is why the Buddhist teachings are so effective; they apply to the very foundation of our thinking.
  • !
    This situation happens here too and the shepherd manages even to get a few new lambs! When it happened to me, I wasn't that kind. I just tell them off to take care of their family. You'd don't have to be that rude though. If you can, listen. Maybe you'd like what you hear. You may even throw in a few questions for clarification. You may even try to convince your friend with your ideas. In other words, you can try to convert your friend! (Just kidding) - Just don't let some annoying people annoy you okay. Just be mindful!
    ... which is one reason why the Buddha avoided talking about God.

I have not read all the post so excuse me if I am repeating something already said.

What to do? I guess the Seven Point Mind Training would suggest you treat you detractors as you best friend in showing up the chinks in your meditation practice. Once you have been alerted to being unsettled about this 'intrusion' by you so-called friend, you might realize that is exactly what has happen - an intrusion - a distraction.

The only person who is control of your state of mind is yourself.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @2bEnlightened
    Stand your ground.

The best strategy so far, for me, has been to develop a simple statement and repeat it for as long as it takes to stop the rant.

“I don’t share your beliefs, and you are just going to have to accept that. That is all I have to say on the subject.”

“I don’t share your beliefs, and you are just going to have to accept that.”
    ….
    ….

When you answer questions or respond to the subject-matter you will probably end up in a heated debate to which there is no end.

You can have such debates of course if you like them, but you don’t have to be forced into them, and you can stand your ground anyway.

Good luck!
  • I personally like to find shared-beliefs between my own and the person lecturing me. They don't like this as evangelical Christians will be taught that their way is the only way, and all other ways will result in hell.

But I have successfully diverted people into discussing the importance of kindness and helping those less fortunate. I may say something like "Of course, Jesus taught that you should love everyone, without judgement, which is something I strongly agree with" And then we might discuss the activities of particular Christian charities or whatever (I used to be devout Christian so I know a lot about it).

Christians who evangelise are generally anxious and trying to do their duty, as they see it, to their religion. But few, if any, enjoy the experience. Hence I've found it relatively easy to get them to talk about their religion, but in a far more pleasant context, like good works etc.

The other day, I ended talking to a Christian friend about how hard it was not to be judgemental when people were abusive and aggressive, despite our attempts to show them kindness and respect. So we ended up empathising with each other and actually supporting each other's attempts to learn to be more loving to the 'unloveable'. I even shared with her some of the Buddhist teachings I'd received on how to show genuine compassion! (I didn't explicitly mention it was Buddhist teachings - we were by then just talking as one human to another).

But if they are determined to convert you, all you can do sometimes is say politely, "I don't want to debate with you, so can we please change the subject?"
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited March 2011
    All religious teachings point to a path towards "saving" oneself.

Pardon me, but aren't we no better here than the so-called "fundamental Christians" by calling them names eg fanatics?

As I have shared b4, from where I come from, you are considered "non-traditional" if you practise Christianity. It's all relative. Let's be open to all possibilities as some have suggested here.
  • @Roger, TY

We all consider ourselves to be unique, individual, and our way of thinking just-so and not quite like anyone else's. The truth is more that our experiences differ, but the way our mind works is the same. This is why the Buddhist teachings are so effective; they apply to the very foundation of our thinking.
    I'm with you Cloud. On a fundamental level everybody's mind works the same. (e.g. suffering and the cause of suffering end of suffering..., negative thinking vs. happiness... Yup, everybody (christians, muslims, aztecs) under influence of the same "mechanisms." I just think I'm -superficially- unique. Like individual leaves from the same tree or fingerprints. I'm no big deal. The big deal is to do the best you can with the "tools" and motives available thru Buddha.

I'm still stuck on the fact that college "kids" have hormones gone wild and maybe they can do their "debates" or "philosophical discussions" a little bit differently. I remember a movie or documentary I saw (forgot title), how young Buddhist monks were "getting away with murder" so to speak, because they were so young. OK OK..., I'll shut up now on that issue! :D I promise.

• edited March 2011
    All religious teachings point to a path towards "saving" oneself.

Pardon me, but aren't we no better here than the so-called "fundamental Christians" by calling them names eg fanatics?

As I have shared b4, from where I come from, you are considered "non-traditional" if you practise Christianity. It's all relative. Let's be open to all possibilities as some have suggested here.
    FWIW, I don't like the evangelical motives, the proselytizing. The religious believers who use thought control techniques. I think that's immoral. So, I, being a moral person to the best of my darn ability, am not going to be totally accepting of what I consider to be immoral behavior UNTIL..., perhaps..., I become a muuuuuuuuch better Buddhist. I dunno. Will ask my teacher.

Hitchens explains some of what's going on in terms of thought control techniques by these organizations. The military uses the same techniques no matter which nation.

OOPS! Lemme say again: not all Christians have these motives and put these techniques to use. The Hitchens book _IS_ a bit..., near..., uhh..., close to but not into the extreme. Good dramatic reading actually.

• @Roger Evangelicals would argue that if you knew a cure for cancer, it would be immoral not to tell others about it. That is how they see it - they see their religion as the only way to avoid hell and so therefore they have no choice by to use any means necessary to convince you.

Such beliefs are not motivated by arrogance, they are motivated by fear, real, deep-seated fear that what they have been taught is correct and all the people they love, no matter how good in human terms, will go to an eternal hell unless they become Born Again Christians.

So annoying as it may be to those of us of different faiths, their actions are motivated by love and concern, and IMHO should be respected as such. They aren't deliberately trying to be irritating, they're trying to save us.

Unfortunately, their saving attempts are rather like the guy who marched a blind friend of mine across a road, even though she had just been standing near the kerb and had no intention of crossing! It is idiot compassion.

But the way to confront idiot compassion is not the accuse said 'idiot' of being immoral, or even of accusing them of being an idiot. The best way is to attempt to redirect that compassion to genuine compassion instead. For instance in pointing out that they aren't going to save anybody by force or emotional blackmail, and that much as they may wish to 'save' you, ultimately that decision is only in your hands. They wouldn't want you to be hypocritical just to please them, would they?
  • edited March 2011
    Yes Ada. Good points. Thanks. I really don't get involved anymore in such things at the dinner table or office. I guess the best practice is just to back off and leave them be. People get brainwashed and that's their condition.

I usually go into my "treat them like pets" mode. My little way of giving every benefit to my cats, I give every benefit to such people.

My cats can do no wrong, they don't "know" any better. MY cat's can do no wrong no matter how annoying, in a state of weakness, I might INTERPRET their actions to be.

I treat zealots like I treat my cats. Hummm..., well..., I'm sorry for using the word "zealot," it sounds kind of harsh..., oh well..., I'm using it in the kindest way possible. I might find a better word, but we're just talking, being informal here.
  • All religious teachings point to a path towards "saving" oneself.

Somehow, I can't see a Christian in Thailand having a Buddhist acquaintence yell at her because she's not a Buddhist and tell her that she's destined for Hell.

There are people, atheists mostly but some Buddhists, who think any Christian is a fanatic. I don't think we have those here. We're talking about a certain type of Christian here that has both specific intolerant beliefs about people of other religions, and who feels they have the right to confront you about it, even though your religion is none of their business. That's the definition of a fanatic fundamentalist. So no, describing a person accurately is not the same thing as getting in that person's face and yelling about how they're going to Hell.

Some of the finest people I know, family and friends, are Christians and some are fundamentalists. None of them are fanatics.

• edited March 2011
    <
    Some of the finest people I know, family and friends, are Christians and some are fundamentalists. None of them are fanatics.
    Yes fine people. I have a few in my family. They just got back from South America helping people build houses in the country side.

However: the mashed potatoes hit the fan at the dinner table when Creationism becomes a subject at family gatherings. Hey! It's NOT I! I shut the heck up! I try to tone it down! image

Yep, "fanatic" is a bad choice of words. Gotta go with "delusional;" it's related to "fanatic," right? Will look into it.

Anyway my Creationist relatives have absolute faith in the scientific method, enjoy it's benefits in other ways, but somehow became totally convinced all University Paleontologists are liars involved in a conspiracy as far as Darwin is concerned.

Just talking. Not trying to proscribe behaviors other than tolerance and kindness. Just sorting thru this stuff.

Delusional: (yes we all have delusions and have to tolerate them in others). No big deal. Here's the definition:

delusion |diˈloō zh ən|
    noun
    an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder : the delusion of being watched.
    • the action of deluding someone or the state of being deluded : what a capacity television has for delusion.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    No matter what the situation or stimulus for the conversation, if you are noticing that an exchange you are having is quite one sided (as in an expulsion of their belief) then you are well within your right to ask for more balance in the relationship and communication. Remember that helping others is not always about just listening, but about helping them cultivate balance as well.

Now, in the case of strong emotionally religious people, it might be quite unskillful to talk to them about religion or beliefs, because differences can be quite painful for them. Imagine how scared they might be that their loved one (you) might end up in eternal suffering if you don't follow their deity/golden child/Church.

Still, it is good if someone who is scared can learn to be kind at the same time, and perhaps your loving response could naturally help them see that fear is abrasive. "Wow, that feeling sounds very potent for you, must you use that feeling to attack my beliefs? It doesn't feel nice." "I'm not enjoying this, could we do something else in this moment?" There is no reason to pretend an exchange that feels icky is anything else, and dealing with it at the level of feeling seems to be the most direct and politically/religiously free.

Remember though, its about them and their actions, hopefully you can see how their patterns have nothing to do with you! When I have been at my most snarky, I said something like "You'll have to trust that your savior will also move me in the same way he moved yourself, however, you in this moment are not anything close to the right kind of thing that would pull me into Jesus' fold." I usually consider it rude, though, to point out a person's hypocritical actions unless they're asking for help or aiming them at the people around us.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited March 2011
    Nice Matt. This is a good thread. Good stuff to learn more deeply.

There's no substitute for "loving kindness."

I might be getting there completely eventually.

Now I'm learning that in apparently just a few exceptional cases I can only get to "liking niceness."