Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope Francis I

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited March 2013 in General Banter
So the new pope has been elected: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21777747

He's first non-European pope in over 1000 years!

May he lead the Roman Catholic world with wisdom.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2013
    It's thrilling for any "Catholic," even though he's 76. As much as the Jesuits have always sworn their first earthly allegiance to the Pope, it's historic that the College of Cardinals have finally chosen the first Jesuit Pope. No doubt a compromise, settling on a man not likely to reign 10 years --the church is no doubt "biding its time" until a clearer sign is seen down the road for which direction to take.

Also curious, I've seen some sources call the new Pope Francis I. I don't believe that is correct. John Paul I was just John Paul until he was succeeded by JP II. Also, there have been many, many popes with unique names --such as Pope Hilarius from the days before the Bishop of Rome took on a different name from his own given name. (See PAPAL NAME in Wikipedia.)

Viva el Papa!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I know they pick historical meaningful names, but I think Pope Jorge would have been awesome, lol.
    Dandelion
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nirvana said:

It's thrilling for any "Catholic," even though he's 76. As much as the Jesuits have always sworn their first earthly allegiance to the Pope, it's historic that the College of Cardinals have finally chosen the first Jesuit Pope. No doubt a compromise, settling on a man not likely to reign 10 years --the church is no doubt "biding its time" until a clearer sign is seen down the road for which direction to take.

Also curious, I've seen some sources call the new Pope Francis I. I don't believe that is correct. John Paul I was just John Paul until he was succeeded by JP II. Also, there have been many, many popes with unique names --such as Pope Hilarius from the days before the Bishop of Rome took on a different name from his own given name. (See PAPAL NAME in Wikipedia.)

Viva el Papa!

Pope Hilarius? He must have first been Joey Bishop.

sndymorn
    edited March 2013
    It's also curious that one of the names I heard thrown around in the last week or so was Pope Hilarious. I know I spelled it wrong, but the thing is, that when you look at the single names in the Wikipedia link PAPAL NAME, Francis comes right before the 5th century's Pope Hilarius in the alphabetical list of popes with names unique to their pontificates.

I'm wondering now about the guy's sense of humor, that is, his propensity to laugh at himself (and not to take himself or things too seriously).

On a different note, speaking of papal names, no one is allowed to become Pope Peter II, for that would signal the end of the world!
  • SephSeph Veteran
    I always thought the Pope should be either South American or African.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    And be it ever so humble, there's no Hope in Rome.
    JasonDandelionInc88
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    "Meet the new boss / Same as the old boss."

Dandelion
  • Three firsts in one new Pope: the first American (of Italian extraction so that keeps them quiet), the first Jesuit (from the "Church's Loyal opposition") and the first Francis, naming himself after Saint Francis Xavier, friend and disciple of Ignatius, apostle of Japan, thereby embracing the Far Eastern church (including China) as well.

Despite his hard line on many subjects which was almost inevitable we may be in for some surprises. The first is that he has announced an open press conference without pre-prepared questions, something Benedict avoided like the plague.
    Invincible_summer
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Perhaps we will, my friend, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Dandelion
  • Thank Jesus, Mary and all the Saints you are a Buddhist.

Wish the Pope was. :coffee:
    karastimfranzdorf
    I think expecting that all of a sudden a Papal Conclave made up entirely of conservative elderly men would choose someone to be pope who is pro abortion and pro gay marriage is expecting a bit much. I couldn't care less who the Catholic world leader is. He doesn't make my neck hair stand up like Benedict did. That's about all I have to say about any of it.
    Invincible_summerDandelionMaryAnne
  • Jason said:

As an added bonus, he's also been accused of being cozy with the 1976–1983 Argentinian military dictatorship...

This could very well be the reason he was chosen. He has some experience in covering up terrible crimes and they really need someone qualified for the job.

I'm not sure if I am joking or not.
    Invincible_summerDandelion
  • What a safe place to bash the new pope this forum is.
    Let us all settle in for a chat.
    Invincible_summerlobster
    edited March 2013
    Viva il Papa! (I said it, appropriately enough, in Spanish in my first post.) Needless to say, born and baptized a Roman Catholic before my Father's conversion to Anglicanism and his ordination, I have a very special place in my heart for the Catholic Church. So, yes, I'm partial, and accept the church with all its limitations —taking the good at its heart as a rose and trying my best to forget and forgive the rest.
    One of my most favorite Catholic pilgrimmage sites is St. Paul's Outside the Walls in Rome, where they have round "plaques" about four feet in diameter for each of the Popes with the number of Years, Months, and Days of their office inscribed below. They surround the basilica's inside at a height of about 16-20 feet, and the one portraying the current pope is illumined by a spotlight. Quite the cult of popes!

I was just in Rome in October and know that the Romans will be glad to have a pope of Italian extraction. A German Pope? NO!

Anyway, Here's a current source saying (despite the Y2K "bug" habit) that the new Pope will NOT be called Francis the First unless and until a second pope also should take "Francis" as his name. That stands to reason!

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-vatican-pope-francis-name-20130313,0,1309501.story

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The First Words of Pope Francis (Delivered in Latin)

Brothers and sisters good evening.
    You all know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome. It seems that my brother Cardinals have gone almost to the ends of the earth to get him… but here we are. I thank you for the welcome that has come from the diocesan community of Rome.
    First of all I would like to say a prayer for our Bishop Emeritus Benedict XVI. Let us all pray together for him, that the Lord will bless him and that our Lady will protect him.
    Our Father…
    Hail Mary…
    Glory to the Father…

'A journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust'
    And now let us begin this journey, the Bishop and the people, this journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches, a journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world that there might be a great sense of brotherhood. My hope is that this journey of the Church that we begin today, together with the help of my Cardinal Vicar, may be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city.
    And now I would like to give the blessing. But first I want to ask you a favour. Before the Bishop blesses the people I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me – the prayer of the people for their Bishop. Let us say this prayer – your prayer for me – in silence.

'I will now give my blessing to you and to the whole world'
    [Immediately afterwards Pope Francis gave his first blessing Urbi et Orbi – To the City and to the World.]
    I will now give my blessing to you and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will.
    Brothers and sisters, I am leaving you. Thank you for your welcome. Pray for me and I will be with you again soon… We will see one another soon.
    Tomorrow I want to go to pray to the Madonna, that she may protect Rome.
    Good night and sleep well!
  • Right speech involves denouncing the Buddhist mafia as well as the Papal Bull. Mostly we should be kind to X-men, Xtians and HH the Dali Lamer.
    Forgive me sndymorn I have 'sinned', it is ten minutes since my last confession . . . :p
    Invincible_summermfranzdorf
  • Looks like Rudy Giuliani, just a bit aged.
    Invincible_summer
    riverflow said:

Jason said:

As an added bonus, he's also been accused of being cozy with the 1976–1983 Argentinian military dictatorship...

This could very well be the reason he was chosen. He has some experience in covering up terrible crimes and they really need someone qualified for the job.
    Well, in point of fact, the man was not made a bishop until 1992 and was elevated to archbishop in 1998, and elevated by John Paul II to Cardinal 21 February 2001. More data will be forthcoming in the coming days, no doubt, but I fail to see how a mere priest copuld have enough clout to "cover up" a lot.

I do know that the internet is a scandalmonger of the first degree, though.

riverflow said:

Jason said:

The Argentinian military dictatorship of 1976-1983 (if these dates are indeed right) seem to overlap only the man's days as provincial superior from 1973 to 1979. He then moved on to be the Rector of the Seminary of San Miguel from 1980-1986. He was made a bishop in 1992, archbishop in 1998, and elevated by John Paul II to Cardinal 21 February 2001. More data will be forthcoming in the coming days, no doubt, but I suspect there may have been some scruples on the man's part that may have caused him to resign his position as provincial superior of the Society of Jesus in all of Argentina. Anyhow, the allegations stipulate the year 1976, which would have been during his first year in provincial service. "Woe to the man whom no man speaks ill of," as Jesus said! I am sure alongside every good man there are at least three or four detractors. The two priests who were apparently kidnapped for 5 months and found stripped semi-naked did survive though (not murdered, as suggested above) but were thereupon expelled from the Society of Jesus. Whether Bergoglio denounced the priests or whether they betrayed his trust is not yet known.

I do know that the internet is a scandalmonger of the first degree, though.
    I find his choice of name and his lifestyle intriguing, and I'm curious to observe where that causes him to take the church's direction.
    When I think how I was chided earlier today in another thread for being judgmental, and being told that Buddhists aren't judgmental...and then I read this thread. Well, I guess I fit right in pretty well here.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
    edited March 2013
    Nirvana said:

The two priests who were apparently kidnapped for 5 months and found stripped semi-naked did survive though (not murdered, as suggested above) but were thereupon expelled from the Society of Jesus. Whether Bergoglio denounced the priests or whether they betrayed his trust is not yet known.

Not sure if this is in reference to my initial post, but if so, I didn't mean to suggest that the two priests were murdered. Their abduction was one incident, and Bergoglio's alleged involvement in helping hide some of dictator Jorge Videla's political prisoners from the Inter-American Human Rights Commission was another. It was in reference to the latter that, if true, would essentially make him an accessory to murder. His alleged involvement was documented in Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's book, El Silencio: de Paulo VI a Bergoglio: las relaciones secretas de la Iglesia con la ESMA (Silence: from Paulo VI to Bergoglio: secret relations of the Church with the ESMA).
    edited March 2013
    Yes it was.

All of this about Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's book, El Silencio: de Paulo VI a Bergoglio: las relaciones secretas de la Iglesia con la ESMA (Silence: from Paulo VI to Bergoglio: secret relations of the Church with the ESMA) is mentioned in the current Wikipedia article on the newly elected Pope. But have you read the actual facts presented in the book?

I thought there were 3 considerations about spreading rumours:
    1) Is it true?

Well I can't remember the other two right away.

Well, found it Googling Socrates and rumors:
    http://lifelessons4u.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/spreading-rumors/
    edited March 2013
    Nirvana said:

Yes it was.

All of this about Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's book, El Silencio: de Paulo VI a Bergoglio: las relaciones secretas de la Iglesia con la ESMA (Silence: from Paulo VI to Bergoglio: secret relations of the Church with the ESMA) is mentioned in the current Wikipedia article on the newly elected Pope. But have you read the actual facts presented in the book?

I thought there were 3 considerations about spreading rumours:
    1) Is it true?

Well I can't remember the other two right away.

Well, found it Googling Socrates and rumors:
    http://lifelessons4u.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/spreading-rumors/

No, I haven't read the book myself. I first heard about it from this article and another mention here. I admit that it'd definitely be more helpful if I had, but I don't see why you seem to be accusing me of spreading rumours simply because I'm taking various news reports at face value. But just to humour you:

1. No, there's no way for me to know if the accusations are 100% true since I wasn't there (I wasn't even born yet), but the accusations themselves are real enough.

2. Yes, I'm saying something that's not good about Bergoglio.

3. Yes, I think it's useful that people look into this, as well as his (in my opinion, harmful) stance on things like abortion, same-sex marriage, contraception, gay adoptions, etc., because he's such a prominent and influential figure (i.e., the pope), and bigotry, injustice, and oppression, if and where they exist, should be exposed and fought against. And I'd much rather be wrong and have to admit it and apologize than potentially be right and not say anything so as not to ruffle any feathers.
    lobster
    edited March 2013
    There's a time and place for everything. Right now the Catholic world is rejoicing and those who would throw stones ought to wait awhile.

Exultate! Jubilate!
    Gaudio!

The brashness of your first two points speaks for itself and I won't go there! But I will take issue with your third posting of points. To me these matters are entirely a matter of conscience. No church, no union, no government, no employer can make anyone do anything against his or her conscience. The conscience of the individual is the final arbiter. What a church or church leader pronounces on abortion, same-sex marriage, gay or zombie adoptions, or what-have-you: are merely opinions. There is only one authority (literally, "source") and that is the heart, centered in bliss and secure only in its own Truth --not the borrowed truth of another. People let themselves get hoodwinked; that is their problem. Please don't blame it on some boogie man!

The fact of the matter, the doctrine of Papal Infallibility in matters of faith and morals Notwithstanding, people are very selective about the ways they incorporate church teachings into their lives. I'd venture that more often than not they use them as ammunition against family members and (in the case of Americans) politicians, than as scruples that burden their lives with needless cares, pains, and burdens.
    lobster
    Actually, @vinlyn, I said it was unbecoming for Buddhists. I didn't say Buddhists don't judge people. In fact I said that most people do, including myself, and that we should work not to, and not simply justify that we do it and say it's just fine to do so.
    MaryAnne
    Ok, but you gotta admit, this thread is rampant with making judgments.
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, I meant brashness merely in a descriptive way, not judgmentally.

Also, I love America, but we are so narrow compared to the Europeans.
    edited March 2013
    Nirvana said:

The brashness of your first two points speaks for itself and I won't go there! But I will take issue with your third posting of points. To me these matters are entirely a matter of conscience. No church, no union, no government, no employer can make anyone do anything against his or her conscience. The conscience of the individual is the final arbiter. What a church or church leader pronounces on abortion, same-sex marriage, gay or zombie adoptions, or what-have-you: are merely opinions. There is only one authority (literally, "source") and that is the heart, centered in bliss and secure only in its own Truth --not the borrowed truth of another. People let themselves get hoodwinked; that is their problem. Please don't blame it on some boogie man!

The fact of the matter, the doctrine of Papal Infallibility in matters of faith and morals Notwithstanding, people are very selective about the ways they incorporate church teachings into their lives. I'd venture that more often than not they use them as ammunition against family members and (in the case of Americans) politicians, than as scruples that burden their lives with needless cares, pains, and burdens.

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simply as that. They may be opinions, but they're opinions that the Catholic Church exerts its considerable weight and resources towards imposing on society as whole, not just practicing Catholics. In just one of the many examples here in the US, church leaders spent nearly $2 million last year fighting against gay marriage in four states.
    riverflow
    They spent the money, but they didn't win. In every state it was up in, those on the side of gay marriage won. I live in MN, and we refused to pass the amendment against gay marriage, and right now a legislative move to legalize it is working it's way through our state legislature. Sad that the church would spend the money on something like that instead of helping people though. Will be interesting if the new pope changes that.
    edited March 2013
    @Jason: Please spare me the details. Yes, that's probably true. Yet, there are countless more "Asian religion unfriendly" churches that have the same goals in mind. I would argue that the Catholic world is in all actuality radically open to the harmony of the religions of mankind and that we who are influenced by Buddhist thought and practice should emphasize the positive and downplay the negative aspects of our differences.
    We "Catholics" have much to learn from each other and cutting off the channels of communication is the wrong approach to the pursuit of understanding, goodwill, and world peace. I am using the word catholic in the sense of Broad and Universal, such as in the phrase, "His tastes in music are catholic, ranging from Baroque to Reggae, from Bluegrass to Rock n' Roll, from classical to jazz..."
    edited March 2013
    Nirvana said:

Please spare me the details. Yes, that's probably true. Yet, there are countless more "Asian religion unfriendly" churches that have the same goals in mind. I would argue that the Catholic world is much more open to the harmony of the religions of mankind and that we who are influenced by Buddhist thought and practice should emphasize the positive and downplay the negative aspects of our differences.
    We have much to learn from each other and cutting off the channels of communication is the wrong approach to the pursuit of understanding, goodwill, and world peace.

I don't disagree. Just because I'm a vocal critic of things like homophobia, injustice, sexism, etc. doesn't mean I don't also look for the good in people and institutions where I find these things lurking about. When I go to Holy Trinity and attend mass, I do so in the pursuit of understanding, goodwill, and world peace. But that doesn't mean I'm kosher with the current priest's stance on gay marriage, for example, or don't vigorously support the former priest's stance that, "Gay and lesbian people should have the same freedom to marry the partner of their choice as anyone else; this principle of fairness is enshrined in the Golden Rule -- that we should seek for others the same good as we seek for ourselves."
    lobster
    Jason said:

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simply as that. They may be opinions, but they're opinions that the Catholic Church exerts its considerable weight and resources towards imposing on society as whole, not just practicing Catholics. In just one of the many examples here in the US, church leaders spent nearly $2 million last year fighting against gay marriage in four states.

What I don't understand is that you seem to feel it's okay for the pro-gay-marriage forces to have a viewpoint, support it with funding and demonstrations, but you don't seem to feel it's okay for the anti-gay-marriage forces to have a viewpoint, support it with funding and demonstrations.

Freedom of thought and action only exists when everyone is free to express themselves.

edited March 2013
    vinlyn said:

Jason said:

What I don't understand is that you seem to feel it's okay for the pro-gay-marriage forces to have a viewpoint, support it with funding and demonstrations, but you don't seem to feel it's okay for the anti-gay-marriage forces to have a viewpoint, support it with funding and demonstrations.

Freedom of thought and action only exists when everyone is free to express themselves.

I never said it 'wasn't OK' for them to have an anti-gay viewpoint. I simply disagree with their viewpoint and refuse to be quiet about it (same as them). In addition, I don't wish to see their religious beliefs about homosexuality (and morality in general) imposed onto the rest of society. It should be noted, for example, that making same-sex marriage legal isn't the same thing as forcing churches to conduct/officiate said marriages, and it most certainly wouldn't force opponents from entering into a same-sex unions; but making same-sex marriages illegal affects all same-sex couples and denies them equal rights under law, which I'd argue is unconstitutional.
    edited March 2013
    Well, Jason, we'll see whether or not it's constitutional before too long. In terms of the law of the land, it really doesn't matter much whether you or I think it's constitutional. It really only matters how the Supremes judge it.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I continue to be amazed at how much we care about the catholic church on a Buddhist forum :P and yes I know its in general banter. To me its a little fascinating, just goes to show where are roots lay even if most of us(I know some here identify as catholic/christian and buddhist) have gone past them.
    edited March 2013
    Jayantha said:

I continue to be amazed at how much we care about the catholic church on a Buddhist forum :P and yes I know its in general banter. To me its a little fascinating, just goes to show where are roots lay even if most of us(I know some here identify as catholic/christian and buddhist) have gone past them.

I think it's primarily because the Catholic Church has historically played such a large role in Western society and still holds a fair amount of sway, culturally, religiously, socially, etc.
    MaryAnne
    Very true, Jayantha. There are many levels on which to have an interest in the Catholic Church.
    edited March 2013
    vinlyn said:

Well, Jason, we'll see whether or not it's constitutional before too long. In terms of the law of the land, it really doesn't matter much whether you or I think it's constitutional. It really only matters how the Supremes judge it.

Yes, it'll be especially interesting to see how the 6 Catholic justices rule. I have faith that they'll have to strike down DOMA, though. I honestly don't see how a law that denies legally married same-sex couples federal benefits that are available to heterosexual married couples can be found constitutional.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Jason said:

Jayantha said:

I think it's primarily because the Catholic Church and Christianity in general has historically played such a large role in Western society.
    hence my comment about our roots :)
    vinlyn said:

Very true, Jayantha. There are many levels on which to have an interest in the Catholic Church.

the catholic church has not been fascinating for me since I was 10 maybe. 12 years of catholic school, 8 years of alter boy, learning latin, youth group leader, been to the vatican.. been there, done that, boring.

what I mean't by fascinating is US , the people here, and how our old roots and traditions still effect us and cause us to discuss about it.
    edited March 2013
    @Jason: I really don't mean to contradict myself in this thread which is for me about GAUDIO for the election of a new pope; but:

It's so silly that these silly old men (many of whom sound like old hens) make all these pronouncements on human sexuality. I mean, what are their qualifications? What are their experiences? I really have almost always believed that good church people like my mom, a convert from Lutheranism to Catholicism, just gave all those pronouncements lip-service only. My mother used to say the most incredible things about how sex was not to be enjoyed but was only for making babies. But it was just lip service, and we kids knew it wasn't for real.

Also, married Catholics had to stay together forever, whereas a Priest could just quit. Why were the standards higher for the laity?

Also, at the time I came along there was no real mysticism in the church, only an enforced rigidity (which still survives, though less intact, today). Sure, the church smelled nice and there was an aura of the sacred, but the teachings of the Christian Mystics lay dormant. In point of fact, during all of the nineteenth and most of the twentieth centuries, the time-honored contemplative traditions in the monasteries had been forgotten and the monks thought they were just there to do penance for the rest of the Christian community.

So, there are lots of things to do to let the light back in to the church. But it cannot be done overnight, as the light would overwhelm the denizens of the church in much the same way as it did the cave dwellers in Plato's Republic when first they stepped out into the clear light of Day after many years' confinement in the darkness below. The thing to remember is you gotta measure the light's quality from the inside and not to judge its usefulness from the outside looking in. It may look too dark for service, but it's at the brightness allocated for its time.
    JasonInvincible_summer
    Jason said:

vinlyn said:

Yes, it'll be especially interesting to see how the 6 Catholic justices rule. I have faith that they'll have to strike down DOMA, though. I honestly don't see how a law that denies legally married same-sex couples federal benefits that are available to heterosexual married couples can be found constitutional.
    It seems that way to me, too, but, I've been surprised before.

Nirvana said:

It's so silly that these silly old men (many of whom sound like old hens) make all these pronouncements on human sexuality. I mean, what are their qualifications? What are their experiences? ...

I'm not clear why it's any more silly for them than it would be for any other religious leader, including monks. And even if they've been non-sexual, as humans don't they have as much right to an opinion as anyone?

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Saw this at work, I think this is great! Hope it works out!!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I wish him well, He has a hell of a church to clean up.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Nirvana said:

The First Words of Pope Francis (Delivered in Latin)

According to my facebook feed, Pope Frankie says "Relax".

lobsterInvincible_summer
  • @Tosh

benedictus qui venit
    Blessed is he who comes [in the Lord's name]
    ToshInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    here in the Uk, the very public scandal of paedophilia, sexually inappropriate behaviour and top-level botched investigation and cover-ups, continue to dominate the press, as more and more hideous, abhorrent facts are revealed about erstwhile celebrities and their revolting sexual shennanigans.. The hens are coming home to roost, and it seems as if those responsible are finally being brought to account.

I therefore ask why it seems to be that merely because this is a religious organisation, and not one based on a commercial level, theis organisation seems to prevent itself as a law unto itself, unaccountable and beyond public reproach?

The whole thing stinks.
    I'm an ex-Catholic @Nirvana, and please don't even try to dignify my post with a response.

There is Nothing - but NOTHING - you can say which in my mind would do a single solitary microscopic thing to make the Top-rank members of this organisation, even remotely admirable in my eyes.
    riverflowBhanteLuckylobsterSimon
  • What I posted over at Huffington Post a little while ago....

"OMG. Look at these bright red, hysterical "headlines" !!
    It's finally happened folks, the HP just lost every shred of legitimacy it had left (and that's not much!) and went the National Enquirer route with this one!
    Gee, where is the alien baby and two headed frog story?

OF COURSE the (new) Pope is upholding all the oldest and most controversial rules and religious laws!
    I mean really- What did you expect?? Liberace reincarnated? Pope Paul Lynde II?

How sensational and utterly ridiculous these headlines are....
    I'm f*cking EMBARRASSED to tell people I read the HuffPo. GROW UP"

Of course it went to pending, most likely won't see the light of day. But whatever.

I find it interesting that I see a touch of the same anti-Pope hysteria here, too....
    If you don't agree with the Catholic church, and can't abide their right to uphold their own religious laws and rules -- no matter HOW archaic or politically incorrect they may be -- well by golly, Don't Be A Catholic.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who find the religious aspect of Buddhism and its rules pretty archaic and politically incorrect, no?

Invincible_summer
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    My Catholic friends are excited and thrilled. They have no idea who this new old-white-male is, but they're excited and thrilled nonetheless.
    It's odd how they have such hope and devotion towards this man who they never knew existed till today.

DandelionStraight_Man