Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do you meditate?

banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
edited July 2013 in Meditation
what made you get into budha and meditation?

Is there a reason you continue to do it?

Do you have a motivation?

Does it make you feel good when you do it a certain way?

Comments

• tikaL2o6tikaL2o6 Explorer
    edited July 2013
    Hello, @HeyImAcrab
    Good questions. I'll share a little.
    I began meditating out of curiosity.
    I do continue to meditate to maintain inner balance.
    My motivation for meditating is to enrich mine, and other's lives.
    Yes, pleasant feelings are encountered in true concentration.
    Lucy_Begood
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    When did I have my first meditation session? When I was undergoing therapy for social anxiety... however, I didn't know it was meditation at the time.

The first time I consciously decided to meditate, I did so because I read about the basics of Buddhism. They sounded good. I wanted to try and see what the meditation practice was like... maybe become more at peace with the world.

I'd say my outlook on meditation in the past is quite different than it is now. Now I meditate just for the sake of meditating. It feels "wrong" if I dont' try to put in at least 20 mins / day.
    karmablues
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2013

(Suffering)

(Suffering)

(Suffering)

Does it make you feel good when you do it a certain way

(OK, now your just making me uncomfortable)
    lobsterInvincible_summerSabre
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    why do i meditate - not sure, but i think to try to fully open up to whatever i am experiencing in here and now, though i am not able to do it.

do i meditate - this is more big question for me, even though for the last 1 year, i have been sitting almost daily for nearly an hour, but should i call it only sitting or meditation - i do not know - because there is no concentration in my meditation. still i just try to sit daily, even though it may be for only 15 minutes or 5 minutes only.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

My Suffering
    My Suffering and that of others
    My Suffering and that of others
    Yes, but not really "certain way". It's just a very simple breathing in and out and that's it. :)

• I don't. :)

I did at one time, for a span of many years. Now I don't. I practice mindfulness at numerous random times throughout my day. But the fact that I'm now retired and living a (relatively) stress free lifestyle with very few demands on my time, this is not difficult to do.
    But, like anything else in life, our needs and our circumstances change over time. I don't feel the need to do formal sitting meditation - now- but that too could change tomorrow... ;-)
    JainarayanTheEccentricwrathfuldeity
  • what made you get into budha and meditation?
    All the wrong reasons: my suffering.

Compassion: our suffering.

Compassion.

I feel a certain kind of peace, but this doesn't play a motivating factor as it once did.

karmabluesStraight_ManInvincible_summer
  • These are interesting replies, please keep them coming

its nice to know you guys arent afraid to share your personal issues
    karmablues
  • MaryAnne said:

I don't. :)

I did at one time, for a span of many years. Now I don't. I practice mindfulness at numerous random times throughout my day. But the fact that I'm now retired and living a (relatively) stress free lifestyle with very few demands on my time, this is not difficult to do.
    But, like anything else in life, our needs and our circumstances change over time. I don't feel the need to do formal sitting meditation - now- but that too could change tomorrow... ;-)

I recently read Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh, and must read it again until the idea of mindfulness sinks in. Or I just have to practice it. I feel the same way you do about mindfulness. I never really practiced meditation in it's commonly understood form. I know there is no one definition for it. Meditation I do is spontaneous. One form for me is a sort of zoning out and letting thoughts come and go. Another form is that a thought will pop into my mind, and I will "run with it", to some completion or continuation. I don't know if anyone else has such a method. With there being a great chance I'm on the low end of Asperger's, my mind is a fertile playground for oddball thoughts and associations to contemplate. That could be good or bad.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Meditation: Because a couple years ago my New Years Resolution was to bring more peace into my life and thus our family
    Buddhism: My teenager's interest and talk about it peaked my curiosity and I happened upon a book at a used book store that got me started (The Heart of Buddha's Teachings)

It is helping me achieve my goal of a more peaceful life.

Peace, in case that wasn't clear earlier, LOL. I have always been pretty compassionate, but it has helped expand my compassion to those I used to withhold it from.

Overall, I feel better than I used to on a daily basis, about how I react and handle situations and such. Sometimes when I am done meditating I feel lighter, clearer and more peaceful. Sometimes when I am done I am left with "wow, what was that about?" More mediation usually answers the question eventually.
    karmablues
  • what made you get into budha and meditation?

I got into it because i felt something was missing..

I got into buddhism, meditation and reading...

Then one day i realized that there was in fact nothing missing
    Everything was just the way it was and suppose to be....

I now no longer call myself a buddhist but i still have alot of respect for it!

I dont meditate for the same reasons i used too..
    I used to meditate in hope it would help me 'find' something...

Now i just meditate to meditate. Not to gain anything from it (although it does help me chill out after a long hard days work)
    karmablues
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited July 2013
    At one level, the reason I started was because I was sick of the bullshit sideshows ... the lights, the glam, the texts, the talks, the swooning, the bliss, the praise, the levels, the devotion, the ooooeeeeooo ... all of which I was entirely capable of getting involved with. All I wanted to know -- and this was strictly for my own purposes, I didn't want to convince anyone else -- was very simple: Is spiritual life bullshit or not? I didn't especially care what answer I got, I just wanted an answer I could credit and meditation struck me as a possible way of finding out.

I wasn't wrong ... sort of. :)
    riverflowInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

I first started trying meditation when investigating Buddhism after deciding from what I heard it made sens unlike the other religions about a year ago now.

At first I only did it for the relaxtion and peaceful feeling but now I my practice has developed I can now do it to change the way I think and improve my life, although I have had many rough patches with it, starting it and practicing Buddhism in general has been one of the most positive choices I have made.
    karmabluesLucy_Begoodmaarten
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    -I hoped it would solve my pimples-problem.

- Yes, after ten years or so the pimples went away and they stayed away ever since.

- I don’t want them to come back.

- Yes, usually I absolutely enjoy meditation. The less I try to do it right, the more I enjoy it.
    maarten
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think my motivation was to have something positive to fight against my depression following a mental break. And the depression is gone though I still have the illness which is not depression.

At this point I have a certain amount of faith from observing others who study such as my teacher. I have confidence that meditation and study can help with accepting changes in life. That is what it is all about. If I never resisted or fretted over change it wouldn't be necessary other than as a relaxing experience. I think I wish I had more tranquility. I have mental voices and tranquility is in short supply here. Meditation sometimes allows me to let go. And then it adds some value to my day; I feel happy that I do it.
    karmabluesStraight_ManriverflowSabre
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    When I meditate, I am more gentle towards myself. When I am gentle towards myself, I am gentle towards others, by this I mean my compassion grows. I continue to practice because the expression of gentle compassion towards others not only relieves my suffering, but allows me to help relieve theirs as well.
    riverflowJeffreySabrekarmablues
  • My situation is similar to that of @TheEccentric when it comes to what brought me to an interest in Buddhism.

I meditate to try to attain a deeper level of mindfulness, and that is my continuing motivation.

Sometimes it makes me feel good just to do a sitting with breath sort of meditation. There are times, due to my inexperience I suppose, when I find it difficult to calm the "monkey mind." :eek2:

But overall, meditation is never anything but positive for me, although it does not always feel "good." (If that makes sense. LOL!)
    riverflowhowkarmablues
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    What made you get into budha and meditation?
    - Multiple things that came together sort of accidentally over a period of time. I can't even really recall exactly what and how. Since very young I tried to find out about how the mind works and did some attempts at some form of 'meditation' without any instruction. Not really fruitful :D Years later I gave meditation a more serious try when I had trouble sleeping because of thinking too much. Initially only looking for meditation instructions, I got into touch with Buddhism. First only using it to improve my kindness, and help with troubles in daily life, but later I got into the deeper teachings as well.

Is there a reason you continue to do it? Do you have a motivation? Does it make you feel good when you do it a certain way?
    - It makes me happy and deeply contented. So I feel sort of out of place when I haven't done it for a while. (Even then sometimes I neglect it and escape in other things)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

These are interesting replies, please keep them coming

its nice to know you guys arent afraid to share your personal issues

Issues?
    What issues....? :scratch:

Why do I?
    To detach, to transcend, to be.

There are as many reasons to meditate as there are people.
    The secret is to not try too hard, nor care too much about the why, wherefore, rhyme or reason.
    The secret, is to simply meditate.
    Dandelion
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    This is silly, but there was a tv show called Life, starring Damian Lewis and I thought he was so cool and I wanted to be like him :) That eventually led to Alan Watts, then different books and talks.

It just feels right. I was raised Christian and so much of what I was taught just felt so very wrong. It seemed like every time I learned something new about Buddhism, I thought, "Yes! That's how it should be!"

I am a significantly and noticeably better person now. Because of this, I feel like I have a positive effect on the world around me.

I do quite like loving kindness meditation (metta).

Thank you for asking @heyimacrab !
    Jeffrey
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I meditate primarily in bed, in whatever position I feel most comfortable so I can sleep. Meditation cured years of dreadful insomnia, when nothing else worked. Prior to meditation, when I went to bed, I would have horrific flash backs of watching my dad die, followed by what felt like a bursting of adrenaline in my belly. Now, that either doesn't happen, or if it does, the meditation halts it.

I got into buddhism after my dad died, when after a long time pondering things, concluded and felt an unwavering faith in karma, and through that, an acceptance of life no matter how bleak.

I continue to meditate because it works. It's like 'going home'.

Sometimes I meditate when i'm not in bed, the other day I lay down on the floor and meditated (I prefer to be flat), and was feeling tired. This was to actually wake me up, and it worked.... just needed to 'go home' for a bit ;)
    Jeffreymaartenriverflow
  • - what made you get into budha and meditation?
    Dukkha

- Is there a reason you continue to do it?
    Since I believe in karma and reincarnation I (obviously) want to avoid karma that leads to suffering. I read about buddhism to strengthen my resolve to seek virtue and avoid sin (for lack of a better word). I meditate because it feels nice, and because it is said to help a lot on the buddhist path.

- Do you have a motivation?
    My motivation is the wish to be happy. Since I can see that my happiness and caring about other beings are like two sides of the same coin, it's not a selfish goal.

- Does it make you feel good when you do it a certain way?
    Well there is pleasure and there is "feel good". When I feel more compassion is when I feel good. When I manage to sit straight up and relatively relaxed, without too many harassing thoughts is often when it feels pleasant.