Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Fingers crossed @federica!

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    My Dad starts chemo today. I imagine he'll call me today or tomorrow to let me know how it went. **crosses fingers**

Also, @SarahT , yay for Pinkie Pie! :pleased:
    Buddhadragonlobsteranatamanfederica
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    Wouldn't it be great to have the double-whammy!?

Yes, fingers crossed! You could treat us all to a fish-and-chip supper. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Please hold the curry sauce! PLEASE!! (Yech!!)

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Well done to hubby! :awesome:

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, I'm thrilled for him and very proud!

Rowan1980
    I'll take @federica's curry sauce! Love that stuff! :chuffed:

Don't you touch my mushy peas though!

Rowan1980
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Nor my tartare sauce!

Rowan1980
    edited February 2015

@Cinorjer said this in another thread, discussing The Heart Sutra ("Form is Emptiness, Emptiness is Form"...

I know it broke my heart when I first had him pull it on me. I hope those were rejects he broke, but it shocked us enough to cause all of us to stop our little monkey minds and that's zen for you. Even the rejects had their own beauty. ....

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/432799/#Comment_432799
    (This comment and subsequent dialogue between us....)

Which made me have further insight into just how attached, or connected we can be, even with things that have absolutely nothing to do with us.... we can feel the sadness and disappointment in their passing and destruction.

I think this is a good thing, in fact....

CinorjeranatamanHamsaka
  • NerimaNerima Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Rowan1980 so sorry about your dad's cancer diagnosis :(
    My mom has been fighting advanced colon cancer since June 2010. It's a losing battle now, but she outlived her doc's expectations.
    We're just living each day as it comes. I pray for strength and compassion.

federicaRowan1980anataman

(Hugs)) @Nerima, and of course, @Rowan1980 .....

Rowan1980
  • ☺️

Hilarious... I registered my CV and application details with a major high-street chain-store, and I received an alert of a vacancy for an Assistant Manager. In Scotland.
    Ah well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.... :D

SarahT
  • Just found out the Arabic word for 'Love' is 'Hob'.
    'Dunking my Hob-Nob' just took on a whole new meaning . . . <3

federicasilverBunks
    edited February 2015

(Actually, the correct pronunciation is a cross between 'hub' and 'hib', veering towards a "swallowed" 'heb'.... it also depends whether you are addressing a male or female, and whether the address is formal or colloquial... But that's just my pedantic side coming out, yet again...!)

Rowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> 'Dunking my Hob-Nob' just took on a whole new meaning . . . <3

I'm starting to wonder if I'm in a cold Hell. We're dealing with several feet of snow and extremely cold temperatures. I hear by designate central and northern New England as part of the cold Hells! :wink:

Stay in have a good hot cup of soup, throw another log on the fire and start knitting that wonderful blanket...!

Rowan1980
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Since yesterday morning I am down with flu.
    Pretty downtrodden: my body weighs a ton, I ache all over, my head is dizzy, my nose is runny.
    Today, at least, I could sit down and log in to the site.
    Arghhh! :(

edited February 2015

There's a certain irony to this.... You look after your health meticulously. You exhort the benefits of green tea and I'm sure you're sensible and correct in your diet.
    And you're unwell. I am so sorry for that...

I eat nothing but total crap right now.
    (Cheap food is usually bulk and unwholesome) and my diet has been wanting for goodness and nutritious essentials for some time. I eat rubbish at the expense of my H who needs to watch his intake, being diabetic and having recently experienced a bit of a scare....

I've never felt fitter, and haven't had a cold for nearly 3 years....

There's a certain injustice to be sure.... :unamused:

BuddhadragonlobsterRowan1980
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@DhammaDragon ... Feel better soon. I'll put these fresh flowers right there on the nightstand....here's some of your favorite books...and the tea will be done in 2-3 .... If you can, open the curtains, and let the sun hit your face. I'll be back later to check on you...oh..almost forgot, I picked you up a box of the good tissues...with lotion and menthol on them...they'll be right here on the bed...off to work I go...call if you need anything...

:pleased:

Buddhadragonfedericalobster

No Valentine's present for HIM then! Set up a bed in the garage....

BuddhadragonVastmindlobsterRowan1980
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    My husband is still rocking with laughter... :p

Bad boy! Laughing at the yogi ;)

@Vastmind made an inspiring kindly cyber post . . . even I feel better on your behalf. =)
    Ginger tea with honey is my tip. As hubby is now garaged, mega garlic . . .

@federica is a credit to her diet routine. She loves her food . . . and that is the secret to everything . . . love . . .

Get well @DhammaDragon. <3

federicaVastmindBuddhadragon
    edited February 2015

I think the carving of this cabinet is extremely creative...

Shame about the analog glitch...oh no....hang on....

The cabinet was actually CARVED LIKE THIS.....!!

Rowan1980SarahTlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

^^^ The perfect container . . .

There I was looking for scientific confirmation that Jesuis Charlie's Eiffel Tower (how soon we forget) . . . and to confirm that 30% of Americans believe we did not land on the moon . . . God made us out of stardust . . . Buddha was a manly type etc . . .

. . . When I came across one of my Olde experiments . . .
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031222181255/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/lobster/et/

I iz scientist!

anataman
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I feel like I'm going crazy. I've been so utterly bitchy the past 2-3 weeks, and nothing I do seems to help. Doesn't matter how much I meditate, do yoga, eat well, read, or whatever. I suspect it's just a matter of waiting it out and that it is due, in part, to being unable to spend much of any time outdoors. I have the gear to do so, but my bad knee aches horribly for 24 hours after I spend too much time outside when it's too cold. Plus it's unpleasant, lol. Our temps have barely been above zero for that time, so walks and hikes have been about zero. Makes me nuts. Cannot wait for winter to be over, having a hard time appreciating the present :lol:

edited February 2015

@karasti, Why don't you just shut up?!

(I figure, if you'd like a quarrel, a friendly empathetic Buddhist will help you get it out of your system... happy to oblige if you feel like verbal fisticuffs.... :wink: )

howSarahTanataman

LOL! @federica, that was awesome, gave me a laugh.

Maybe I am going through withdrawls. I deactivated my Facebook account not too long ago to establish a better routine in my life and determine what, if any, value it adds. After a momentary bit of panic the first few hours, honestly, I miss very little of it. I have some friends who are long-distance and we chat as a group, but I set up an email list for that. I took the phone numbers and addresses of those I talked to most and have been actually talking to them instead of facebooking them. It's been interesting, and a good thing. Now the dilemma I face (haha) is, if I am ready to go back, I will need to significantly trim my friends list, because all the garbage that comes through drives me crazy. Nothing against any of my friends, but some of them comment on the most ridiculous articles and stuff and I hate seeing it in my newsfeed. But it's pretty hard to unfriend someone on FB and tell them not to take it personally and "let's still keep in touch by phone and mail...just not here). I haven't figured out how to navigate that one yet, but maybe I'll find I have no desire to go back, either.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I permanently quit fb ages ago - you can do that. No real bloodshed involved, either. :)

Well, I have a total of 28 friends, and I'm in touch with all of them. When they post something I "Don't want to see" I just delete it.
    Most of my friends are actually family relatives and the majority live overseas. I like the way we communicate. I'm actually not keen on skype....

Yeah, most of mine are dear friends who now are spread to all corners of the globe. I don't have any FB friends who aren't real life friends or family. But just like in "real" life there are some I get along with better than others, and for me I have a big problem just ignoring things. I get sucked into discussions all the time and then am constantly addressing PMs and posts from my phone as well. I help admin 3 community pages on FB and it gets to be exhausting sometimes with the nonstop notifications, so I just needed to disable it entirely while I figure out how it fits into my life. Or if it does at all.

Some of the people I keep in touch with, it's just not feasible to send actual photos to them all, for example Its an easy way to keep them updated on my kids' lives, and me with their families. I just don't have the time to write dozens of letters or emails and attach the pictures. It's just convenient that way. Plus my Sangha runs a community FB page and that is where we have our discussions as a group when we are not together (which for me is almost all the time, as I am 250 miles away).

I wish FB allowed for more detailed control of what I see. I can choose to not see posts from someone in my newsfeed (like the few who constantly comment on gun control and other such things) but then I don't see anything from them and I don't want that, either. I just want to see what they actually post, not what they comment on but I cannot control that that I can see. FB makes it all or nothing. So I have to decide how, or if it works for me and if it's worth keeping.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@silver said:
    I permanently quit fb ages ago - you can do that. No real bloodshed involved, either. :)

I recently returned to facebook after having left for many years because I accepted an admin position with a spiritual community center that required it.

So far, my re-connection with fb feels like idiocy and has me question what the ===== I'm doing.

silverRowan1980lobster

Oh, and also all my kids sport teams/groups and other such things do all their announcements on FB as well. Including all the planning for my son's graduation. It's pretty hard to entirely avoid it, otherwise I have to figure out who is in charge and email them asking for the same information they just put on FB. If that was me, I'd be annoyed, lol.

In other news, I took our dog (boxer) to the vet today, and she licked the vet so much he had to clean his glasses. He said, "If only we could all be so happy as a Boxer, they display their happiness with their entire bodies. Who doesn't love the boxer full-body wiggle!" Indeed. That might be my new motto. Although some people might question if I start to wiggle when I meet them...

Rowan1980

...and stick your nose up their bums in greeting.....

I don't know how people can juggle social networking on the net plus... a life.

I took leave of the site for a few days because I have THIS pile of books, plus my family, plus my friends, plus my meditation, plus my yoga and I simply don't have enough time for everything.

Friends I made on the Insight app keep sending messages, there are twitters to be read, Tricycle articles and retreats I've been meaning to read and do for ages...

If I had FB or actively participated on another site, I'd be a virtual ghost by now!

Vastmind
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited February 2015

I'm on twitter but all I do is post petitions I've signed and I have no idea how to 'do' a hashtag let alone what in blazes a hashtag is, yep, I'm pretty pathetic....but it's a studied ignorance....I probably should get rid of my twitter account, as well - just for consistency's sake. I signed up for a couple of other major things but it just seems like too much trouble. It's about the only thing that makes me feel old is not understanding how to do a lot of stuff on line. But it's okay! Just a little sheepish about it. :3

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2015

I'm with @DhammaDragon on the social media thing. I wouldn't even have time If I wanted to...hahaha. I have a stack full of books now that someone here sent me and I was embarrassed to say I hadn't made a dent in the pile. My Temp promotion is over now...(and I'm glad). I learned alot and taught alot....but I'm ready to get some time back on my clock.
    Going back to my cube tomorrow.....my unimug and a book will be waiting and ready...Who am I fooling? We're in tax season in a budget cut and I got cases up to the roof.......but the Temp promotion added more on top of cases...so....yep...I can still sip tea while I mail you guys your tax bill :mrgreen:

@bravehawk ;)

Buddhadragon

I have been thinking a lot of my issue is probably boredom, as all my kids are in school and from 7:30 to 3:30 I am just home alone with the pets. It's probably time to think about getting a job... :bawling:

Vastmind
  • @karasti said:
    I feel like I'm going crazy. I've been so utterly bitchy the past 2-3 weeks, and nothing I do seems to help.

[lobster puts on Mr Spock Vulcan voice]

Fascinating!

Sounds like cabin fever as you diagnose. Assuming no change in the weather and fighting with @federica is of limited practicality be interested what cures this. My inclination is to manifest the bitch in constructive ways. Hate some dough and make bread. Visit the hell realms and scream at demons, use cushion if padded cell not available.

Do you howl at the moon by any chance . . . must consider all options . . . ;)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@karasti said:

** I feel like I'm going crazy**. I've been so utterly bitchy the past 2-3 weeks, and nothing I do seems to help. Doesn't matter how much I meditate, do yoga, eat well, read, or whatever. I suspect it's just a matter of waiting it out and that it is due, in part, to being unable to spend much of any time outdoors. I have the gear to do so, but my bad knee aches horribly for 24 hours after I spend too much time outside when it's too cold. Plus it's unpleasant, lol. Our temps have barely been above zero for that time, so walks and hikes have been about zero. Makes me nuts. Cannot wait for winter to be over, having a hard time appreciating the present :lol:

@karasti
    My partner's been saying she's been feeling crazy lately. Even her skin has been feeling like bugs were crawling over her.
    Today they confirmed she's actually got Shingles!

Buddhadragon

Oh goodness! I hope she heals quickly, I hear it is no fun to go through! Thankfully mine is all in my mind. I took to my cushion for extra time after my initial post this morning, and I did a strenuous mind-occupying yoga practice. It helped. I was just having a pity party, though they seem more frequent lately. Just cabin fever, I am sure, like @lobster said :) I will have to try the howling at the moon, the wolves might join in!

lobsterVastmind

@silver said:
    I'm on twitter but all I do is post petitions I've signed

I only check twitter on my cellphone because I follow several Buddhist publications that send me interesting articles.
    But one thing leads to another: you open an interesting article, you read it, then you're opening ten articles and reading ten articles... :(
    Plus the books, plus my family, plus yoga, plus meditation... O.o

@how said: Today they confirmed she's actually got Shingles!

Oh no! That's a dreadful affliction! Heavens, it's really painful, uncomfortable and can be relentless. The pain is unpredictable, debilitating and depressing.
    Please take care of your partner. If it's only just been diagnosed, there may be challenging times ahead.
    My mother suffered from shingles while my father was very ill, many years ago.... it's also exacerbated by/connected to stress.
    Awful, awful condition.
    It weakens the spirit considerably.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

A while ago I became aware of a sense of dread along with a compulsive need to sign onto Facebook with my morning coffee. Whaaa? Like you @Karasti and others who've mentioned it, Facebook provides a unique suffering! I didn't quit Facebook but did delete and 'unfriend' specific persons. I 'like' animal rescues and yet dare not friend too many for all the pictures of mutilated bodies they post to 'raise awareness'. Thanks, my awareness needs no further 'raising'! That goes for political friends who post dead Christians in Egypt or wherever, or bruised and face-shot-off-by-the-ex-boyfriend pictures and stories. Good gawd it was sending me to Hell every time I signed on. That and the old auntie who keeps inviting herself over . . . I'm not sure who she is, frankly

I've never Twittered or tweeted, but I'm tempted. That's probably not a good thing.

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

When I get too many posts from someone I have "friended" but don't want to de-friend them, it seems to work if I just untick the "following" box on their profile. Hope folk have done that to me if they get fed up with all the stuff I "like" from the mental health community! I do try to customise my shares but am never quite sure what I am foisting on to others ...

Rowan1980

I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone's mentioned the other type of FB suffering that goes on IRL: every morning, I had to go to work and listen to my boss and a co-worker go on about Farmville or Farmland or whatever the game was back then. I mean - talk about hooked! O.o

@SarahT it only works though if you don't want to see anything from that person. I don't want to see my friend's constant comments on news and political pages. But I want to see her posts about her daughter and her family and what is happening in her life. But FB doesn't allow the ability to filter in that way, of course, because we aren't the consumer in Facebook's eyes. We are the product they are selling.

I don't find twitter to be a problem in any way, for me. I don't get into discussions or anything on there. I follow a few sports, Buddhist, yoga and local people/places, but that's about it. It's just an easy and quick way to get information. For example we had a 4 hour long power outage here last week and using twitter on my phone I was able to get immediate updates of when crews were sent out and the likely ETA. So I could plan what we needed to do in the event of a longer power outage. I don't know why FB is such a problem for me, lol.