Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

no.
    Naked, on 100% silk sheets - Is paradise.....

(I think we've reached 'the Level'...! :blush: )

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    Be careful, fede, otherwise @Toraldris will be like Howard from the "Big Bang Theory" when he lived with his Mom!!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The Big Bang Theory. One of the most banal, un-funny, puerile, churned-out pap that USA TV has ever produced.
    ever.

Nirvana
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

I think The Big Bang Theory is "American humor" that the Brits won't get until we're done with it, the reverse of what happens with British humour eventually finding an American audience. :) I'd never have imagined a TV show about nerds/scientists would be so popular, but times are a-changin'... it's one of the first shows that's been renewed for multiple seasons at once (three I think). They never do that.

Of course things being popular is no argument in favor of them. Christianity is popular too. Tastes differ. I just happen to like The Big Bang Theory, even if this last season or two hasn't been so great. I'm nowhere near the level of nerd as the characters of the show (I iz teh dumb), but I can appreciate much of it (like gaming and superhero movies).

...I just get the impression that the writers try too hard. It's almost as if they believe it's absolutely vital to make every line funny.... but the whole thing just sounds so contrived, and 80% of the laughter is canned....
    There have been some absolutely matchless comedy programmes out of the USA.... Cheers, Friends, Frazier, Roseanne to name but a few.... And the winning formula was that they occasionally mixed mirth with drama. Frequently, there were twists to the plots which were absolutely NOT geared towards laughter.
    With TBBT, it's all clever quips, pause for laughter, affectation and relentless straining.
    Why does every single line HAVE to be amusing?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I see your point. That can be annoying. But it's the same with shows like Family Guy, and that's popular too. There are people who hate Family Guy for the same reasons. :)

• RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran
    edited December 2014

@federica said:
    The Big Bang Theory. One of the most banal, un-funny, puerile, churned-out pap that USA TV has ever produced.
    ever.

I agree I cannot understand American humor that greatly, but I did enjoy Bottom a lot had a great laugh with that. For me American sitcoms are all the same.... And the big bang stuff I cannot really enjoy nor like it.

• To change the subject a little. The days after Christmas the heat ceased to work. As we enter our coldest season. A little extra treat about half of all the electrical outlets have failed. No change after having reset all the circuit breakers. Finding qualified workmen here is a major challenge. Not the usual problems people would post but even the most worldly issues from time to time present challenges.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I don't even own a tv! I watch free hulu -- mostly and I think I've mentioned this before somewere - Hell's Kitchen, Simpsons, Bones, and the occasional America's Funniest Home Videos although I thought I'd never see the day where I just got burned out on AFHV but it happened about a month ago. Too many contrived and not enough spontaneous ones.

I also don't have a TV, but I watched a programme on BBCiplayer the other evening, about the songs banned by the BBC for various reasons, throughout the ages. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff THEY considered completely unacceptable. By today's standards? Hilarious!

For example?

Bing Crosby's "I'll be home for Christmas" - because it gives false hopes. In fact, anything overly sentimental by crooners, was pretty much off-limits, during WW2. The BBC considered they conveyed the wrong message (Schmaltzy, depressing, homesick, wistful) and they opted instead for the positive, upbeat, jovial, lively 'cheeky chappie' kind of thigh-slappers....

The Brits among us may remember George Formby. well, hardly any of his songs were openly broadcast, they were so rife with innuendo.

When the BBC was first established, they considered themselves not only responsible for entertaining people, but also, felt they had a moral responsibility to their audience to avoid corrupting, negatively influencing or scandalising people of a young and innocent age (and the age was definitely one of innocence!) so the censors went a bit mad, really...

JeffreyHamsaka
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@federica said:
    When the BBC was first established, they considered themselves not only responsible for entertaining people, but also, felt they had a moral responsibility to their audience to avoid corrupting, negatively influencing or scandalising people of a young and innocent age (and the age was definitely one of innocence!) so the censors went a bit mad, really...

I have a very interesting book by Christmas Humphreys that tells the story of the British Buddhist Society.
    Sometime in the late twenties (or early thirties) the BBC radio invited some members to discuss Buddhism on the radio.
    Humphreys tells that the Church of England censorship put so much pressure on the BBC that only decades later would such a feat be repeated again.

lobster
  • Discovered that extreme photography filters are a form of art/photography.

I iz instant artiste (almost)

Here is one of my portable shrines with a Thai tea light.

Rowan1980BuddhadragonHamsaka
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

My Dad called me and let me know that he's been diagnosed with cancer. They had found a tumor hanging ten near a bile duct by the head of the pancreas. They inserted a stent whilst he was undergoing an endoscopy, and it seems to have helped with some of the symptoms. We won't know the prognosis and treatment schedule (outside of chemo and radiation) until Tuesday.

He's holding up well and doesn't fear the Reaper, as it were. He boiled it down to "You live and you die." If anything, he's more concerned about my Mom's wellbeing. Mind you, they've NO idea if it's terminal yet, but he prefers to take a very long view of situations.

We're in wait-and-see mode. My twin brother texted me that it had finally hit him. It probably won't hit me until later. :|

BuddhadragonJeffreyanataman

Keep us posted. We wish you well, take care of you, ok? :)

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Damn. Sorry to hear that @Rowan1980. Yep...keep us posted. We're here.

lobster

I'd been a fan of "Drunk History", mostly because I'm not very knowledgeable about history but don't care enough to hear about it unless it's made funny, and I recently found out about "Drunk History UK". So now I can learn UK history in a way that ensures I will make an ass out of myself if I ever claim to know jack about UK history.

Bunks
    edited January 2015

@Vastmind‌, DO NOT CASTRATE HIM!!

I'm a dog Behaviourist, and I am begging you, as I live and breathe, please, do not get his nuts cut off!

It's unnecessary and totally pointless!

All it does is fill a vet's pockets with easy money!!

Any questions, please PM me, but do not - I earnestly BEG you - do not neuter him!!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Very nice. I used to take photos of electricity pylons and rusting cars. Odd, I know. ;)

I haven't had my telescope out for the last couple of months because it's cold and I'm a wimp, the problem is that all the constellations have moved round the sky and I can't find anything! I'm going out with the astronomy club next week so maybe they can tell me, they are very clever with this kind of thing.
    It must have been easier in the olden days when the earth was at the centre of the universe..... ;)

BunksSarahTlobster
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited January 2015

I have officially survived three episodes (in a row, in 15 minutes total period) of ventricular tachicardia. They and I were not at all sure I would make it for a while. Was in the nearest hospital hospital with a cardiac wing (25 mile trip in ambulance at night with siren blaring to clear the way to get there) while they re-calculated and applied drug dosages, gave me a heart cath because they suspected a blocked artery on heart, and made sure my in-chest device would handle another triplet of triggers before they would let me go. 3 days was enough. They were puzzled that the device gave me no pain when it fired 3 times before the advanced paramedics got there, but I have a weird body... :)

BunksVastmindBuddhadragon
  • Sorry to hear that John. I'll be thinking of you.

Straight_Manlobster
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Glad your girl friend moved in with you, Jeffrey, thanks for the caring.

• It's amazing how many treatments there are for heart problems. You get to live another day. That's awesome, @Straight_Man.

silverBuddhadragon
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Rowan1980 said:
    Thank you. The upshot is that he's being treated by one of the top gastrointestinal surgeons at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. (My folks live about 45 minutes north of Boston, and MGH is a well-respected teaching hospital in the region. Thank goodness for small favors!) That guarantees nothing, of course, but having good resources can't hurt.

If you ever have any questions about his chemo or treatments or anything to do with his cancer, I was an oncology nurse for six and a half years. I resigned six months ago and I doubt much has changed since. PM me any time. This stuff is always overwhelming, especially when it gets down to why they do what they do when they do it. If he gets chemo in the hospital, drill the nurses, oncology nurses are big on patient and family education, the ones I worked with called it one of their favorite parts of the job, helping patient and family understand. It's very empowering to understand as much as you can.

Speaking of what I used to do, I stayed away from nursing just long enough to want to go back and do it all over again! Amazing, the self-regeneration that happens when you take half a year off work . . . I signed up with a private duty agency and am working night shift taking care of the cutest most lovable little seven year old boy, medically fragile and needing 24hr care so he can be home with his family.

ONE patient, who I can fiddle over, fuss over, do everything I never had time to do in the hospital. I said he was adorable, right? His family is lovely and I'm sitting here on my 'puter watching his monitors and watching TLC on mute. Not bad . . . somebody pinch me!

lobsterRowan1980Buddhadragon
  • @Bunks said:
    Just booked tickets for Yoga Camp over the March long weekend here in Australia.

It is 3 days of yoga classes (which I don't do), meditation (which I will do) and eating beautiful vegetarian / vegan food with like minded folk.

No phones, no internet, just back to nature.

Looking forward to it......

How wonderful. (Eh Ma ho - have to throw in my usual bit of Tibetan) :)

I remember when I was very fit and doing martial arts, decided to learn over a weekend the dynamic form of yoga that our style also taught. Was not as fit as I thought. After the first morning session I went to the shops and I was walking so straight. Realized I had up to that point been part ape/chimp. Quite a revelation. I had done yoga classes but this was also the first time I was able to do a headstand.

Let us know how it goes, sounds great.

Bunks
    @Hamsaka‌ -Thank you kindly. My Mom is an RN at the same hospital where my Dad will be seeking treatment, and she was in the Oncology Department until about 20 years ago or so. (She works with premature newborns now. Suffice to say, she's a happier camper for that!) I have no doubt that cancer treatment has improved over the years. :)

They've verified that it's pancreatic cancer, which obviously brings about the collective cringe in our family. The tumor hasn't metastasized per the CT scan, but it's wound itself 3/4 of the way around an artery. So, Dad had the portcath placed, and he'll be starting chemo soon. He's still in good spirits and physically feels fine, which is probably due to having reasonable diet and exercise habits. Yay for that.
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

Hooray that it's not pancreatic cancer! :D

edited January 2015
    @SarahT‌ -Unfortunately, it's pancreatic cancer. :( They caught it, though, so it could be much worse. :)
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Pancreatic cancer -- not good. Finding it early -- reasonable hope! Best of all is your dad's amazing equanimity :)

Your ex-oncology RN mom is now playing with babies too, eh? In my own mind it sure does 'feel' so balancing to have my nursing energies or whatever they are focused on the beginnings of life, however precarious that is for the little boy I'm working with.

Of course we're all gonna die. But we're all gonna live, too.

Rowan1980
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@Rowan1980 said:
    SarahT‌ -Unfortunately, it's pancreatic cancer. They caught it, though, so it could be much worse.

Oh - my concentration :( So sorry I misread your post. Prayers x

@SarahT‌ -Not a problem. :) My mind is kinda shot from the stuff going on, so I had to make sure I didn't make a typo!
    SarahT

Great link!

yet another thing I get my knickers in a twist about!! :D

I absolutely HATE being late! My watch is set 10 minutes fast, and THAT'S what the time is!!

Rowan1980
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

oh My Eye!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Great link!

yet another thing I get my knickers in a twist about!! :D

I absolutely HATE being late! My watch is set 10 minutes fast, and THAT'S what the time is!!

Yes! I agree @federica‌. A pet hate of mine too.

My brother and sister-in-law are shockers. Both of them. In fact my sister-in-law is supposed to be bringing her kids to a photo shoot of all the cousins tomorrow and my wife and I have already planned contingencies for her turning up late (as she inevitably will).

lobster
  • It is winter here. The local common pond is frozen. However what is this plant and sexual facilitator up to? Caught them yesterday hard at it . . . anyone recognise that plant? May be a garden escape?

JeffreyRowan1980Buddhadragon

~sings~ "You are my honey, honeysuckle, I am the bee...."

Plant.
    Insect.

january.

Is this a record....?

Rowan1980lobster
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Very nice. I used to take photos of electricity pylons and rusting cars. Odd, I know. ;)

Thanks. Just trying to be aware of interesting forms is part of improving my amateur photography skills. So have taken photos of pylons. Here is a crane and washed up rusty bike taken recently by Thames. People in our selfie, phone/camera society are taking so many pics. I take the pics on my iPod touch or small bridge camera, transfer to ipad and then use Snapseed to filter.

I think of photography as Zen in the Art of Photography or similar . . .

Rowan1980SarahT

Gosh, if the above isn't a lesson in impermanence.... The 'Challenge Blizzard' bike retails (as new) for around £300.00.....

So, in keeping with needing to go back to regular exercise, I have to satisfy my curiosity and wear my heart rate monitor when I do prastrations this morning. I just HAVE to know! :smiley:

(Yoga later this morning, running at the gym tomorrow.)
    lobster

It has been acknowledged that the main group to have suffered most in recent economic cutbacks and government budgeting and expenditure have been - wait for it - the worse-off. The bottom tier of society. The poorly-paid, low-income, jobless, already-stretched financially strapped members of society. (Quelle surprise).

So while all these people have had yet more of their government benefits slashed or scrapped altogether.... how does that make the Government, any different from some mugger whopping you over the head with a big stick and stealing your wallet/purse?

...And if you think I'm going to apologise for banging my drum again, you have another think coming. :angry:

silverHamsaka
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:
    ...And if you think I'm going to apologise for banging my drum again, you have another think coming. :angry:

>

Bang all ya want! I won't complain. o:)

federica

@lobster said:

Very artistic, it's nice to see interesting images like that. Get 'em in the Tate bleeding Modern!
    I like visiting the Tate Modern but more because I like the building and the space, it used to be a power station. Most of the actual exhibits I've seen there were rubbish, something a 5-year old would do. Or maybe I ain't proper educated like them arty types.