Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Becoming a Monk or Nun? I got answers for you.

Comments

• I'm okay with answering any question people have! It's why I started this.
    dantepw
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @thenovicemonk41 - I was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

See? @Bunks ? Told you so!

:lol:

Bunks
  • @Bunks No problem! I've had people asked me if I was naked under my robes.

One time I replied, "Well, technically, we're all naked under our clothing"
    BunksRowan1980pegembara
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ain't that the truth....

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    edited April 2015
    I did a 10 day retreat and I abstained from "relieving myself" until day 8. Just mainly to see what difference it makes and they said to not divulge in sense pleasures.

To be honest I thought about sex a lot more, it was actually quite hard. I guess it becomes an attachment or habit which is why monks give it up.

I think it's a practical thing to do when training the mind but at the end if the day nature intended us to reproduce. And we are nature.

I can see the point though!
    edited April 2015

"Nature" intended nothing of the kind. Nature is inanimate and can't 'make decisions'.

Our tendency as a mammal means we have a basic sexual instinct to procreate, but as Man (in general) has succeeded in suppressing many instinctual traits, this one is really no different.
    Our tendency as a mammal also means we have a basic instinct to NOT be monogamous.
    But infidelity and adultery are both frowned upon in most cultures.
    I rest my case. ;)

pommesetorangesmmo
  • @Earthninja Go to a Monastery. Do a retreat there, they will make sure you're too busy to "relieve yourself".
    Earthninjafedericadantepw
  • Adultery is even frowned upon in Buddhism.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Bunks said:
    You English are so repressed!!!! =)

In all honesty though, males should ejaculate relatively regularly for health reasons.

Any kind of practice that suppresses that is unhealthy IMO.

Apologies if it offends anybody's sensibilities.......

Doesn't offend me.

"Frequent masturbation in young men is linked to higher risk of early prostate cancer, but it lowers prostate cancer risk for men in their 50s, a study shows." -- WebMD (and many other sources).

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    Masturbation is out of question, too.

So it's your contention that monks do not masturbate?

edited April 2015

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    Adultery is even frowned upon in Buddhism.

No it isn't. Sensual misconduct is frowned upon in Buddhism. we take it upon ourselves to include adultery. Of course, you may have specific literature that states otherwise, but it might be doctrinal rather than universal.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

From the Cunda Kammaraputta Sutta: sensual misconduct here includes adultery.

"He engages in sensual misconduct. He gets sexually involved with those who are protected by their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, their sisters, their relatives, or their Dhamma; those with husbands, those who entail punishments, or even those crowned with flowers by another man. This is how one is made impure in three ways by bodily action."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.176.than.html

Eliz

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :Sheepish: grin

Moses comes running down the Mountain:
    "Hey guys! I got good news and bad news.... the good news is that I managed to get him down to ten!
    The bad news? Adultery's still in....!"

lobsterRowan1980silver
    @federica of course nature intended reproduction, how else would we be here?
    Nature may not be capable of making decisions but studies are now showing neither are we.
    Humans and nature are not separate. The earth created us, your intelligence is natures intelligence.

The reason we can't feel this us because of the illusion of separateness.

@thenovicemonk41 surely monks go to bed at some stage :P
  • @lobster
    Boxer briefs, lol.
    Every monk I know wear socks.
    Sari is what the ladies in India wear.
    Haha, no. That's too much shaving for me.
    Not anymore. Not since I was 14.
    I never even had one.
    HAHAHAHA. Oh lord, this question.
  • @Earthninja I typically go to bed 10ish which is the standard time for Monks!
  • @federica no, no, no. XD
    dantepw

@Earthninja said:> thenovicemonk41 surely monks go to bed at some stage :P

It's a bed of nails of course. ;)

thenovicemonk41David

Too late. Don't be-lieeeeeeve you!!

thenovicemonk41Vastmind
  • @SpinyNorman yeah, regular beds are overrated.

You had beds? You were lucky!

Earthninja
    @thenovicemonk41 yeah we went to bed at 10 and up at 4:30 for meditation. About 10 hours a day sitting. I still found time hahah.

10 hours a day?! You were lucky, we had to meditate for 28 hours a day, and that was just on the days off!!

EarthninjaEliz

days off!! You were lucky.....!

Earthninjalobsterpegembara
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    And, Zen monks are allowed to be married and hold modern jobs!

That's true of Japanese zen traditions but not of other zen traditions. :) Non-Japanese zen monks are pretty much still standard traditional monks. No job, no family, no sex, etc. :)

how
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Never say "never."

Eliz
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    do you fancy Tara, even though she is on occasion green or heavily armed?

As a devotee of Green Tara, I have her picture everywhere, even in the kitchen.
    Somehow, I love her smile in this picture in particular, which is my favourite.
    Unfortunately, I can't bring my son to admire her smile, for he always has a comment apposite on her female attributes...

Earthninja
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

@DhammaDragon - Glad I'm not the only one with an image of her in my kitchen!

Buddhadragon
    edited April 2015

Here it is: her picture among photos and post-its in my kitchen, @Rowan1980...
    I agree it can be a little distracting...

Rowan1980

It's upside down... @federica!!!!!
    Fede, please, help....

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Are there any stand-up comedian monks? To be the biggest success at it, all they have to do is just keep talking about sex!

BuddhadragonRowan1980lobster
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

This one came with a Dharma book cover I bought last year. An unexpected and most welcome surprise!

Buddhadragon

Well, she's more demure than mine, Rowan...
    My Tara is totally sexy... <3

• @silver I think every Monk and Nun likes to pretend their funny. XP
    silverlobster

(** they're **)

anataman
  • robotrobot Veteran

I wonder why they have a whale skull at a monastery?

edited April 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    It's upside down... federica!!!!!
    Fede, please, help....

Calling @Linc... HELP! Photos are being posted upside down....!

anataman
    edited April 2015

what's more interesting is the sign below it -- to beware of monks stealing things! In all probability, that temple was having a problem with fake monks stealing.

As far as the whale skull, lots of Thai temples will display any oddity hoping for more in the contribution box.

• robotrobot Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    what's more interesting is the sign below it -- to beware of monks stealing things!

As far as the whale skull, lots of Thai temples will display any oddity hoping for more in the contribution box.

Lol. Yea I thought it was pretty funny. I think it said monky (sic) till someone scratched out the y.
    It's at Wat Tham Sua at Krabi where I went a number of times at your suggestion.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Whale skull at a monastery...?

Is it at this point that we note that monks blubber a lot ... or swallow Christian adventurers... or tell whopping fish stories? :)

personVastmind

I thought @lobster/ @anataman/ @SpinyNorman had the monopoly on awful puns....

Alas, it seems not! :D

@robot said:
    It's at Wat Tham Sua at Krabi where I went a number of times at your suggestion.

Did you do the walk way up to the overlook?

• @fedora Ha! I didn't even notice my error. Thanks for correcting me!
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    Masturbation is out of question, too.

Why can't you masturbate? Is it psychological or physical?

And now for the FUN Pun;

Is it because you are allowing Knowbody to take care of your everyday needs and desires...

...\lol/...

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    silver I think every Monk and Nun likes to pretend their funny. XP

Laughing is one of the few things that's not on their no-no list. :p