Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Mind Is Like......................................

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

The Mind is like.......... a time machine (at times a somewhat faulty one) it can take one back to relive past events and forward to explore possibilities that may lie in the future .... and all from the comfort ( or discomfort) of one's own body :)

The Mind is like.....................................................( keep it short and sweet :) )

Hozanperson

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

He's right, @Shoshin.. Mind is like nothing. Else.
    What you're expressing is what goes on unguarded, in Mind....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

In classical Abhidharma texts, the mind is the viññana rupa, and a bit of a composite of all the others.
    The process of awareness, from perception of stimuli to reaction or response, is pretty complex and involves all rupas, from the most physical to the subtlest.

Perception, consciousness, feeling and disposition are all involved.

We grow up discriminating between a me-entity and an other-entity, but the Yogacara school puts forth the challenge of viewing both self and other as simple conceptions occurring within a same process of consciousness.

What we take to be fixed objects of perception and a fixed self that perceives can be viewed as a simple process of consciousness taking place.

"Whatever arises in experience is your own mind.
    Mind itself is free of any conceptual limitations.
    Know that and don't generate self-other fixations-
    this is the practice of a bodhisattva"
    ~Tokme Zangpo

lobsterShoshinHozanseeker242
  • Mind is like consciousness.

"Now suppose that a magician or magician's apprentice were to display a magic trick at a major intersection, and a man with good eyesight were to see it, observe it, & appropriately examine it. To him — seeing it, observing it, & appropriately examining it — it would appear empty, void, without substance: for what substance would there be in a magic trick? In the same way, a monk sees, observes, & appropriately examines any consciousness that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near. To him — seeing it, observing it, & appropriately examining it — it would appear empty, void, without substance: for what substance would there be in consciousness?

lobsterShoshinyagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@pegembara said:
    Mind is like consciousness.

Mind IS Consciousness.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Mind is like a view from a train window — ever-changing.

Shoshin
  • The Mind is like............^..........^......................^.........

More or less exactly so ... (slight edits)

@Shoshin said:
    ( keep it short and sweet :) )

I duz my best ...

ShoshinHozanBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The mind is like ....a 'thought' and apart from thoughts there is no such thing as Mind...Therefore thought is the nature of Mind .. ...
    ~Maharshi~

BuddhadragonHozan

Or to put it in modern parlance,

"The mind is, like, wow...."

Shoshin
  • GuiGui Veteran

The mind is like being in the woods during a snowstorm.

HozanShoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I like the analogy of the mind to the sky and thoughts to clouds. Clouds move through the mind but never touch it or affect it.

At the risk of making this long and sour, this view is maybe more of a Mahayana view and may go against the Theravada view of mind, or not, I'm not clear on the Theravada distinction between mind and consciousness. But certainly differs from the above view.

The mind is like ....a 'thought' and apart from thoughts there is no such thing as Mind...Therefore thought is the nature of Mind .. ...
    ~Maharshi~

Certainly I can't speak from any direct experience. Is there a mind that remains when thinking or even feeling subside? From the little I've learned about deep states of meditation there is a stage where all experience shuts down, but if one persists this state gives way to a deeper state of open, clear mind.

My definitions for certain terms.
    Mind - an empty theater stage
    Thoughts, feelings, etc. - the actors and sets
    Consciousness - the play of actors and sets on the stage doing things

Shoshinlobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2018

This mind is like... a witch's brew.

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

federicaShoshinKundolobster

The Mind is like ..........an onion when peeling off layer upon layer finally exposing its empty nature which is still full of itself :) ...It's wonder full ...
    I would go so far as to say it's mind.....

BuddhadragonHozanperson
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I'm a little disappointed that no one has yet mentioned a monkey.

ShoshinHozan

HozanFosdick

@Fosdick said:
    I'm a little disappointed that no one has yet mentioned a monkey.

The monkey mind metaphor has been so extensively used and abused, that we were all trying to be a bit more original, I guess...

Hozan

Quite right - I intended the comment to be humorous - I seem to see monkeys all over the place. =)

The mind seems like a bit of smoke that can't quite be grasped - we seek it here, we seek it there, we monkeys seek it everywhere.

What was that Zen story about the monk who asks his master to pacify his mind, and the master responds "show me your mind". The pupil is dumbfounded and can say nothing, and the master says "there, your mind is pacified", or something like that.

BuddhadragonHozanlobsterShoshin

I suppose we are never so aware of the existence of a mind, as when we try to sit down on the meditation cushion and we get bombarded non-stop by all kinds of thoughts.
    Monkey mind hurling back peanuts at us...
    ???

Hozan
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

My mind is like

???

personlobsterShoshinfederica
  • @Fosdick said:
    The mind seems like a bit of smoke that can't quite be grasped - we seek it here, we seek it there, we monkeys seek it everywhere.

<3

Smoke grasping, cloud juggling, mist drifting and mud drowning ...
    As we sit and watch/here the mind mound settle, the lotus grow, the Sun rise,
    What passes as mind?

Pass.

The Mind
    is like ...........

BuddhadragonHozan
    edited December 2018

The mind is like......Hmm my mind's gone blank ...and try as I might nothing comes to mind ...zilch empty...Oh well never mind ...it doesn't really matter ... so I will pay it no mind :):)

BuddhadragonKundoHozan

....Trying to be what I am seeking....

Shoshin

The mind is like... a good servant, but an awful master...
    ???

HozanShoshinFosdick
  • Or as the pixies asked...Where is my mind?

ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

mind is like make it yourself instant pudding,it changes with you.besides pudding is yummy.the mind dont mind?!

ShoshinHozan

The mind is like ....a dream bubble machine...constantly blowing bubbles and as one pops another arises...

HozanKundoBuddhadragonlobster

Excellent description

• ShoshinlobsterFosdickBuddhadragon

The mind is like... a blank cinema screen

HozanpersonShoshin
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Mumonkan Case 30

Daibai asked Baso, What is the Buddha?"
    Baso answered, "The mind is the Buddha."

Hozan
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Buddhadragon said:

Not much use without a projector (Samsara?)

KundoShoshin

I would say WE are the 'projector'...

person
  • Having a right mind means having everything needed for a successful navigation and travel.

HozanBuddhadragon

@Kerome said:

@Buddhadragon said:

Not much use without a projector (Samsara?)

There is a projector...

Hozanlobster
  • @Bunks said:
    Define mind? To me it is just bare awareness. What you're describing above are thoughts.

... thoughts are what we pay little mind to ...
    Bear awareness is just another thought ... but bare awareness is Mindfulness or Mind/Buddha Being

So in a sense we have a samsara mind and an underlying, more settled un-mind, Mind as Nirvana, that thinks without downing and drowning in interior mind chatter.

Yogi Bare Mind

HozanBuddhadragonShoshin

@lobster said:

@Bunks said:
    Define mind? To me it is just bare awareness. What you're describing above are thoughts.

Bear awareness is just another thought ... but bare awareness is Mindfulness or Mind/Buddha Being

So in a sense we have a samsara mind and an underlying, more settled un-mind, Mind as Nirvana, that thinks without downing and drowning in interior mind chatter.

It's a bit what I had in mind when I thought of the blank cinema screen image.
    I remembered Pema Chödrön's phrase "You are the sky: everything else is just the weather."
    The mind is a blank screen.
    All else are just projections.

lobsterHozanShoshin
  • @Buddhadragon said:

@lobster said:

@Bunks said:

It's a bit what I had in mind when I thought of the blank cinema screen image.
    I remembered Pema Chödrön's phrase "You are the sky: everything else is just the weather."
    The mind is a blank screen.
    All else are just projections.

Just so @Buddhadragon ! ❤

Buddhadragon

"The mind- what shall I call it?
    It is the sound of the breeze
    that blows through the pines
    in the ink wash picture"
    ~Ikkyu

HozanlobsterShoshin

The mind is a big ball of 100 billion interconnected neurons that need to be re-wired.

HozanBuddhadragon
  • The mind is like ...

Science is on it ... very informative leading edge documentary
    https://www.cheninstitute.org/en/minds-wide-open/

@Fosdick said:
    The mind is a big ball of 100 billion interconnected neurons that need to be re-wired.

:3

I'll join.

In a funny sort of way, Dharma/Buddha Mind is unplugged. When reconnected/rebooted what happens?

No-Mind? Know Mind? Nothing ...

BuddhadragonHozanFosdick

The mind is like..... an assault course in a mine field...many mind blowing moments...

KundoHozanBuddhadragon

@Hozan said:

Hmm

KundoHozanBuddhadragonnakazcid

How open should our minds be?
    Middle way...

HozanShoshin
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Hmm

This one deserves an "Insightful" and two "LOLs". Has anyone ever read "The Demon Haunted World" by Mr. Sagan?

Hozan

I loved Carl Sagan's extraordinary "Cosmos" series when I was a child, and bought the DVD collection to watch with my son and hopefully infect him with the same passion I have for Carl Sagan.
    I must have read the book a hundred times, too.
    But I have not read that one...

Hozan
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited December 2018

@Buddhadragon Wikipedia can explain the book better than I can:

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark is a 1995 book by astrophysicist Carl Sagan, in which the author aims to explain the scientific method to laypeople, and to encourage people to learn critical and skeptical thinking.

BuddhadragonHozanlobster

I must get that one, then.
    It sounds just like my reading stuff...

nakazcidHozan