Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where do you go for buddhist commentary in the post-Trumpian age?

satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran
edited January 2021 in Mindfulness

I have noticed that the conversation stream on NB is now pretty much dictated by a few contributors, like Kerome and lobster and Kerome and lobster, to name but 2... Just look at the comments, and by whom. And it's the same old same old.

I stopped contributing some time ago, because I felt the site was becoming dominated by a few voices, but regularly I look in but over the last few years it has become Trumpian, and as a result the content of NB has become, stilted, directed and boring. That is just my view. Sure they post good stuff, but it's just' stuff' mostly.

If you are interested in buddhism, where do you go for debate and conversation, and insight. I go to my spiritual home \o/

Perhaps the commentators I have commentated on should practice (c not s) in silence ...lol... for a while so some new and undirected conversations can start up by people who are really contemplating what buddhism means for them, and not others...

Just saying! /o\

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I must admit I only use NB in a social way these days.
    I don’t consider myself a “new” Buddhist anymore.
    I have my own teachers I connect with when I have questions about practice.

lobster

It is true that the person who contributes most to this forum (kerome) isn’t even a Buddhist! 😂😂😂

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2021

It has gone more social..... as opposed to learning Buddhist material...But I agree with Bunky, that its bec Im not a newbie anymore, but yet, we all need practical ways to practice. To keep things fresh and moving with the times, right? Kudos again to Brother @How for doing the zoom sit!!!! , and Lobsters humor always stumps me in a mind kind of way. He's my koan guy cod, hahaha…. And part of Sangha is the social aspect....so.... More middle way.

We " the establishment" can do better. I'll try. =)

BunkshowlobsterShoshin1
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2021

I've long since lost my taste for debating people. I have my practice and experience and will share it where I think it's relevant, and sometimes that leads to discussions, but I don't seek out things to argue about. And I think most contributors active at the moment are of a similar mind and we tend to get along rather well. And people who come here to stir the pot are often disappointed with the responses and end up finding other places to get their adrenaline fix.

Like @Vastmind said, many of us aren't new anymore, and some aren't Buddhist per se. We're more like a community chatting in someone's living room than a typical forum. If members, both old and new, have something to contribute, they should feel free to do so. Ask a question. Share an experience. Start a debate. Whatever they're motivated to do. But others don't have to silence themselves for that to happen.

Vastmindpersonlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2021

where do you go for debate and conversation

Is that you Mx-president trumpy?
    Tell us where to go ... so we can avoid it ... :p

I for 1 welcome someone else providing fresh incite ...

... meanwhile I hope others will share their new go-to chat and Dharma recommendations

@person said:
    Its like I always say, "if you want something done right, complain about it until someone else does it for you."

Fresh insight is always welcome, maybe start some threads of your own and help shape the direction of the site?

:mrgreen:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2021

Good post, and something that’s dear to me, the future of the nb community. Would love to see more of a diversity of voices, nb a few years back had more different posters. My own range of contributions is limited, for which I make no apologies.

BunksSteve_Bperson

Tbh, a big part of my focus these days is on Pureland Buddhism which is virtually unknown outside of East Asia so any conversations on the topic I've tried to start on NB have been met with little or no interest.

Which is fine - I'd expect nothing different as it's of little interest to most Westerners.

So I'll stick to my tennis match with @Shoshin1 on "Word Association Game" and the odd post in "The Random and Useless Announcements Thread".

<3<3<3

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I quite enjoy your posts on pure land Buddhism @bunks. It’s something I don’t really have access to here in the Netherlands, there are not so many Buddhist centres here, but it’s really interesting to learn more about.

Vastmind
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

Is NB "Trumpian?" I just did a search for "Trump" and found a handful of criticisms of Trump. Is there a pro-Trump thread I'm not seeing?

Vastmind

@Vimalajāti said:
    Is NB "Trumpian?" I just did a search for "Trump" and found a handful of criticisms of Trump. Is there a pro-Trump thread I'm not seeing?

I don’t even know what the expression means. But maybe it’s true.

@Kerome said:
    I quite enjoy your posts on pure land Buddhism @bunks. It’s something I don’t really have access to here in the Netherlands, there are not so many Buddhist centres here, but it’s really interesting to learn more about.

Same in Australia kerome. The only Pureland centre near me does all their classes in Mandarin so not much point me turning up 😂
    I am a member of a couple of very active FB / WeChat groups and we meet and chant regularly on Zoom (4 times a day).

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited January 2021

If one thinks about it, the posts/threads are all recycled Dharma stuff, same song slightly different tune, that's what makes the forum interesting and refreshing...constantly returning back to where it all began....at the beginning, which I guess makes for a beginner's mind.... so to speak...

My name is Shoshin and I'm a recycler...(Hmm well I guess it's better than hoarding)

VastmindBunkssatcittanandaRen_in_black
  • Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

To be frank I have to agree to a certain point, but again, as others have pointed out, you get out of it what you put into it. Sometimes.

My issue is less political than it is doctrinal. The Buddha taught non-attachment, which to my understanding should preclude political biases in lieu of compassion for ALL beings - regardless of political affiliation, TNH or no. My issue is asking questions and getting regurgitated Mahayana rhetoric for answers. Life is rarely as simple as bumper sticker philosophy, yet few want to put in the work to contemplate their own answers.

At the end of the day the forums are not mediated by monastics, if at all they're mediated by other laypeople who have no more of a clue than do you or I have. The Christ AND the Buddha referred to this as the blind leading the blind.

JeroenlobsterShoshin1

The thing is @Rob_V even if the forum was moderated by monastics, you might get a lot more doctrinal answers than you did before. It all depends on the brand of monastic.

VastmindlobsterShoshin1
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Meh. Monastics can be just as blind as the rest of us. Buddhist AND Christians.
    I don't buy that as a yardstick.

'Life is rarely as simple as bumper sticker philosophy, yet few want to put in the work to contemplate their own answers.'

That, I agree with.

lobsterShoshin1SuraShine
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Meditation reveals Buddhist commentary's where ever one looks
    for they are simply those truths obscured
    by our attachments to anything.
    Here, wondering what commentary might be right for you
    gets superseded by finding out that its always been
    what you've been sitting on.

lobsterShoshin1Kotishka
  • Thanks @how
    Thanks for providing twice daily Zoom powered sits. I attend one of them

Others too have their practical actual life paths.

Where do you go for buddhist commentary

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I'm having a hard time thinking of how NB is Trumpian.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@ajhayes said:
    I'm having a hard time thinking of how NB is Trumpian.

Hint: it's not.

ajhayes

The OP hasn’t bothered coming back to comment again so obviously not that interested.
    As you were...

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Seems the last few threads by the OP all take the same condescending tone as well shrugs

edited January 2021

It is something to take seriously though. If we don’t want NB to become dominated by a few voices it is important that more people step forward to keep it alive.

That he hasn’t come back shows that he himself is not interested in taking an active stance on becoming a voice on the site.

lobsterRob_V
  • It is not that one is new to Buddhism, (some are and some are most definitely not), so much as that Buddhism is always in itself, new. There is always something new to discover, always a new lamp in the hall. The footsteps and voices, even the familiar ones, are eve changing, ever in motion, ever new. Should you feel otherwise, open your ears to listen, open your eye to see. Reawaken your dulled senses. Dance the never ending dance of discovery, of life.

Peace to all

JohnCobb
  • yagryagr Veteran

Same place I went in the pre-Trumpian age - inside.

Shoshin1lobsterSuraShine
  • Some years ago I watched in dismay as some of our more interesting, thought-provoking contributors were harassed away by the antagonistic moderating style (at that time; seems better now). I don't have numbers (nor do I want them) but I suspect that the people who now appear dominant in posts are simply less diluted than previously. They still seem like the same old highly enjoyable people to me. I still stop by fairly often just to read. I still enjoy it, though I usually don't sign in. To answer the original poster's question, I don't know where to go on the internet for Buddhist-inflected interesting spirited debate/conversation. Like Yagr, I go inside. Or read specific articles in a wide variety of places, rather than a group discussion on a forum.

Oh, and is NB "Trumpian" now? I suppose there's been a decrease in diversity of points of view and spirited intellectual discourse, so maybe there's an element that could be described that way. But it's a stretch, and a long one at that. The group that remains actively posting seems friendly, funny, tolerant, low-key, and still somewhat diverse. That is, about as nonTrumpian as could be. Fortunately.

Bunksyagr