Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Letting go of games

123457»

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    @person ..Yep, that’s her. Aleena.. She’s doing remarkable now. :) Thanks for asking ❤️

That’s good to hear. I always feel an affinity for people with a mental health background, because I know what that’s like, I spent some time in the psychiatric circuit. Very glad that she’s doing better, and that you guys are spending quality time together!

marcitko
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    But the Buddha said, all games can lead to heedless behaviour.

I think the sutra does support this statement, as far as it goes. The reason he gives for heedlessness causing a problem is that recluses are living on offered food have a duty to be heedful, but that doesn’t take away the issue of heedlessness from a simple mindfulness perspective.

I think you can also observe this with people and kids in public transport, restaurants, all kinds of public spaces. So many people are absorbed in their phones and not really paying attention to the here and now.

I’ve started learning Spanish, in an app which is rather heavily gamified. It is called Duolingo, and my father’s girlfriend uses it, also for Spanish, she is heavily into the league competitions.

Did you know that the games industry is currently three times the size of the music industry, and four times the size of the Hollywood movie industry?

“The mind is essentially a survival machine. Attack and defense against other minds, gathering, storing, and analyzing information - this is what it is good at, but it is not at all creative.”
    — Eckhart Tolle

This quote really made clear to me what it was about games that attracted me so much, it is a perfect representation of what the mind does: attack and defence, strategising, min-maxing, opportunism. I still have to be careful not to promote the strategising function of the mind into overall control, that temptation still exists for me.

person

This also explains a bit more what makes victory so enticing in games, it is a property of the ego to want to be victorious, winning, celebrated. It is another reason why living in surrender is so difficult for the ego, and so important for the spiritual disciple.

lobster

From what I posted in the ‘Seeking joy’ thread…

“… I have spent too much time and energy fighting darkness…”

In pretty much every major game you end up fighting the forces of darkness. It’s silly. If you had the choice in real life would you not do something more constructive, more joyful than fighting? Is not building, prayer, dance a better way to spend time?

lobsterhow

It hit me today while I was half-sleeping, that what this thread is driving at is a kind of mental pollution which is carried by the media and by games, and that what this points to is a lack of a healthy model of storytelling and relaxation.

In more primitive societies there is an oral tradition which often concerns itself with mythology, with journeys to the underworld and spirits, with the heroes journey, with gods and goddesses. These stories were told around a campfire, not through screens.

This more healthy mode of mythological storytelling is missing today, I feel. The closest we have come is movies like Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Wonder Woman or The Lord of the Rings. Most superhero movies though undeniably popular don’t really fill this niche.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    edited September 16

In more primitive societies there is an oral tradition which often concerns itself with mythology, with journeys to the underworld and spirits, with the heroes journey, with gods and goddesses. These stories were told around a campfire, not through screens.

In the primitive tribe I live in, we all have different stories. For example, as a bargain-basement sea critter, I am only partly reeled in. Most of me is straining at the unleashing.
    Similarly, wider women and Percy the god-boy or lordy, lordy of the rings are just fake fantasy mud wrestlers.

The healthy story, you mention, is a saga of incredible depth and width. Starting before we are born again, ending long after we are ashes or in my case barbecue... B)

Any questions?
    https://mettaray.com/questions/