Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Hello and welcome to the group, new members! :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    This is really great. Three new (and relatively new) members, in their teens.
    Welcome guys.
    We're here for you and are honoured to be considered a cool place to hang out with.
    We're obviously 'Dude' material!

Cool Buddha-Dudes!! :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Dream on, Fede! ;)

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Hi, I'm Charlotte, I'm 14.
    My parents are Christian and I was christened as a baby. I met a girl when I was 10 who questioned absolutely everything. Some people say she had a bad influence on me. She made me question Christianity, and the more I did, the more I realised that I didn't believe it.
    I first started learning a bit about Buddhism in secondary school, and I got very interested. Everything sort of fell into place. My parents don't understand my interest in it, and people find it weird that I go to Christian school. It is a bit weird. I feel like everyone there is united in their faith except me (which is not actually true, I know).
    So here I am, hoping to learn more about Buddhism and find others who are like me.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi all newcomers!!

Wow!! This is fantastic! So great to see so many young people thinking for themselves.

Great to have all of you newbies here and it's lovely to meet you all.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Oh, OK, I unnerstan. When I was in school, religious education of any kind was verboten in public schools, but that has changed. We get a lot of local high school kids coming to our temple who are taking world religion classes in high school and need to visit some weird, exotic cult! :eek:

I would definitely urge you to get out and see the world when you get old enough, Joe. There's no substitution for it really. You can't learn that kind of stuff out of a book or on the internet. But you'd better hurry with the pandas. They're having a tough time of it and may not be around much longer, unfortunately. They are dependent upon man now for survival because otherwise they would soon be hunted to extinction.

Palzang

I'd like to be an ecologist, in year 10 & 11 I need to take the subjects of, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, Maths, Geography, and Computer Science, pimps *sweats nervously*, I think they're the subjects...
    HANG ON IN THERE PANDAS!!! I'll breed a kind that breathes fire and flies. Then they'll scare away poachers and fly to other reserves.
    Or build something that gets them from A to B....
    But lets not talk about the impossible... A to B indeed...:o
    Although I don't believe in God I believe there's is more to evolution that random selection... I believe we should use our power over other species to protect them, be there protectors, with power comes responcibility, as they say ;)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    WOW! Hello everyone :D Great to see lots of young people getting into it, don't feel quite such a toddler no more ;)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I guess this is the place for introductions. I'm a grad student (in philosophy) in my late 20's and have become increasingly interested in Buddhism in the last year or so. I'm from a conservative Christian family, but have moved away from certain practices and ideas over time.

I'm fairly new to much of this, but I've read several interesting books ('In the Buddha's words' is fantastic!) and have enjoyed wading through some of the amazing resources available online (access to insight, buddhanet). I'm also fairly new to sitting (which I do in the morning), but have found the process very beneficial in the way that I approach the rest of the day.

I look forward to learning with you all!
  • edited January 2010
    Hello All,
    I am new to the site. I am 28 and live in California. I grew up in a Catholic, but also very liberal, family. We have all slowly moved away from the Catholic church. I have been reading about buddhism for sometime and would love to talk to people who know more about it. I was drawn to Buddhism because I feel a strong connection to nature and have had challenges with anxiety disorders for several years. My goal is to find some inner peace but also to accept the other emotions as they come and go. I am excited to join the forum and look forward to discussions with you all. =)
    edited January 2010
    Great to meet you Thomas :D
    I hope you find what you're looking for FindingPeace :) trust me this place is great, you'll learn everything everything you need to know here... :wavey:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi, Thomas and FindingPeace!

It's lovely to meet you!

FindingPeace,

There are a few people, including me, on this board managing anxiety/panic disorders. You should feel right at home. :)
  • edited January 2010
    I am very excited to find this site and have been reading some of the posts for the last hour or so. I am sure I will be asking some questions very soon! =) Thanks for the warm welcome.
  • edited January 2010
    Hello everyone,
    Might as well give a "formal" hello here. I am ashley, 16, Colorado. I ran into a cool buddhist kid in school and since then have been studying buddhism and practicing it as well. My school is a public school, and yet is very Christian based. I live in a small town in the mountains where the closest house is a good five minute walk, and the main activity on sundays is heading to the local church or choice. I am a good student and all that silly jazz... I want to get my degree in social working, or something of the sort, not sure yet :/. I fully intend to run off after college and do some volunteering around the world, and eventually would like to settle down somewhere in Africa perhaps and make an orphanage there, or a relief shelter for families... that would be worth everything.
    Anyway, I hope to meet some nice people here, and learn as much as I can so I can better my practice and open my eyes, perhaps.

~Ashley
  • edited January 2010
    Welcome all ! :)

edited January 2010
    Hiya Ashley,
    You just like me, don't plan very far in the future ;) I'd like to be an ecologist and do nice stuff around da world :D
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah, yeah, yeah "Don't plan very far in the future" I am not planning everything, hehe, just... what majorly I want to accomplish. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, only time will tell for sure. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    One thing I've learned in life is that whenever I thought I had things all planned out, nothing happened like I thought it would! It caused me a lot of suffering and anxiety because of my desire to "control" my life. So I think you're very wise not to be too attached to plans.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Greetings. My current online alias is Aldrisang, which is just as meaningless as my real name in the grand scheme of things. It may as well serve as my name here.

I've contemplated life and reality since I was young, despite my parents' utter faith in the existence of God. No religion has ever given me satisfaction, as after some study they all had the same in common - this is how it is, believe it and stop asking questions (i.e., take comfort in this or that message, don't worry about trying to prove it).

Buddhism appeared differently as a tool, a path, to realizing a truth that has no basis on belief, but on experience and insight. I've studied it for only about 6 months, off and on, and achieved a state of awakening without having committed to being "Buddhist" in any sense. I've only wanted to know, to realize, the truth.

I can't speak for the validity of the entire doctrine, as to say anything is perfect or anyone is perfect (even the Buddha) may be an indication of ignorance, especially one who has not realized ultimate Nibbana. I can only say that the truths expounded by the Dhamma have been verified by this individual as far as the first stage of awakening, or stream-entry.

I would hope to find more truth, deeper meaning, in the rest of the Tathagata's teachings. Even so, I now feel content to live my life in service of the future-state of all life; indeed of all things to come.
    edited January 2010
    Interesting, hello Aldrisang. :wavey:
    Palzang, when I was four I made pet lists and named my unborn children... I gave up with that but it's still good to set goals for yourself, give your life a bit of meaning. I want to not be a nobody but a somebody, make a significant difference in the world, make my life be worth the supping of resources, give something back to the world. Not a likely plan, but t'would be nice... Not in an egoistical way but in a selfless way by the way...
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Name: Peder
    Sign: Saggitarius i think
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 180 cm
    Weight: 70 kg
    Born: Oslo, Norway
    Live: Oslo, Norway
    Favorite book: For now, i read alot of Ayn rand
    Favorite band: Dream theater
    Favorite food: Beef with bernaise
    Favorite movie: Pulp fiction, Forrest gump, The green mile
    Favorite colour: All of them

Pleased to meet you all, i feel like you're the kind of circle i could learn something from. I'll expand this post once i get home.
    Peace! :)
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Name: Badger
    Sign: probably capricorn
    Hair: greying
    Eyes: blue
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: the machine said "one at a time please"
    Born: Peak District, UK
    Live: Derby, UK
    Favorite book: Angry White Pyjamas
    Favorite band: currently Ozric Tentacles
    Favorite food: dal bhat
    Favorite movie: Withnail & I
    Favorite colour: Green

Hi folks, not really a new Buddhist but a returning lapsed Buddhist. I started out with the NKT back in the late eighties and learned meditation under Geshe Namgyal Wangchen at the FPMT centre in London. When the unpleasantness started I became disillusioned and turned to Druidry which I tend to practice like a Buddhist (or so I am told).

A few years ago I decided to pick up a few old threads from my youth and started to practice Karate again. Within a few months I had started to meditate regularly and gradually over the past few months I have had a nagging feeling that I need to get back into things. This time around I feel that I would like to explore Zen/Chan in line with my martial arts interests (Wado Ryu Karate and Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido). I have found sitting groups from Thich Nhat Hanh's organisation (any advice on pronouncing his name correctly would be appreciated, I have had very little exposure to Vietnamese culture) and the Western Chan Fellowship, both of which I shall be investigating soon. I found this site while doing preliminary web-vetting of both groups.

Anyhow, that should be enough for now - see you all in the forum.
    edited January 2010
    Hiya Cassy :wavey:

Hi Peder, I have the same sign, hair, eyes, and favourite colours as you! (Although I do have a slight preference for bright orange, grassy green and aqua blue LOL). I've seen Forest Gump; Good movie :thumbsup:

Hi Badger! I like your name and I like green too :)

Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Hi my name is Kieran.I'am 11 years old. My hair is dark blonde and my eyes are a dark brown. My sign is Virgo. I am 5ft 1in and weigh 5 stone. I was born in Scunthorpe,England.
    edited January 2010
    Hiya KJ :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Palzang, when I was four I made pet lists and named my unborn children... I gave up with that but it's still good to set goals for yourself, give your life a bit of meaning. I want to not be a nobody but a somebody, make a significant difference in the world, make my life be worth the supping of resources, give something back to the world. Not a likely plan, but t'would be nice... Not in an egoistical way but in a selfless way by the way...
    Love & Peace
    Joe

I didn't mean to say that having goals was a bad thing. Not at all. But just don't be too attached them because things may work out quite differently than you think they will.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    So people don't forget me I'll do my intro again :D

Name: Joe
    Sign: Saggitarius
    Hair: Brown
    Height: 5 ft 2 in
    Weight: 7 st 9 lb (but I've just eaten) :o
    Born: Scunthorpe, England
    Live: North Lincolnshire, England
    Favourite Book: The Secret of Platform 13
    Favourite Music: Pink, Katy Perry, The Ting Tings, (and lots of other feminine music LOL) and R&B stuff
    Favourite Meal(s): Mashed potatoes, broccoli, yorkshire puddings, quorn meayballs with gravy and mintsauce OR New potatoes, fishfingers, broccoli, butter and mintsauce OR Spicy salmon OR Jacket potatoe with grated cheese and diced cucumber LOL
    Favourite Drink(s): Chocolate milkshake OR J2O orange & passionfruit
    Favourite Movie: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Epic Movie, The Harry Potter Movies
    Favourite Colour(s): Bright orange, grassy green, aqua blue
    Pets: 1 dog, 1 budgie, 2 rabbits, some tropical fish
    Hobbies: Tenor horn playing, trampolining, reading, writing my novel, talking, watching telly, and chatting to people here
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    We have an understanding Palzang the Orangutang (if you don't mind that name) :lol:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Who are you again? :scratch:

Palzang
  • DJ_DICEDJ_DICE New
    edited January 2010
    Name: Mike
    Sign: Cancer
    Hair: Bald (by choice)
    Height: 6Ft
    Weight: 225
    Born: Washington, DC
    Live: Woodbridge, Va.
    Favorite book: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Favorite band: I'm a DJ so too many to list
    Favorite food: Salmon
    Favorite movie: Anything Mel Brooks
    Favorite colour: No favorite
    edited January 2010
    Palzang! I'm shocked!
    Hiya Mike! :wavey:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Palzang! I'm shocked!

He he. Why would you expect an orangutang to remember who you are?

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Hello!
    My name is Amanda. I am nearly 18 years old. I am a high school student, and I will be going to college next year to study veterinary medicine.
    In my sophomore year of high school, I learned a bit about Buddhism in my World History class and automatically, I loved the ideas of Buddhism. Since then, I have casually off and on studied a bit of the Buddhist ideas--like reading "Buddhism for Dummies" and such.
    I am here to learn more. :)

Sign: Pisces
    Hair: Brunette
    Height: 5' 5''
    Live: Michigan, USA
    Favorite book: too hard to choose
    Favorite band: Journey
    Favorite food: vegan stir-fry
    Favorite movie: I like "chick-flicks" and comedies
    Favorite colour: pink
  • edited January 2010
    You can learn some things here, but this is more a place to come to discuss what you're learning elsewhere and find answers to questions, or simply to find common ground to fire up a dialogue. Two good sites for learning more about Buddhism are AccessToInsight.org and BuddhaNet.net (there are more sites, but those have been useful to me).
    edited January 2010
    Although you do learn stuff too Pinkxlotus. Your only 18 so I should point you out to a thread to start you off if you like;
    http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=82022#post820222
    Hope you enjoy the forum,
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    He he. Why would you expect an orangutang to remember who you are?

Palzang

Get back in your tree :p
    Honestly though, I think apes have it figured out. Wake up. Stuff your face with natural fruit. Do some fun excersice. Attempt to make a baby in public. Make your bed. Then go back to sleep again. Not a bad day. No running off to work.
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    No wars!...
    edited January 2010
    In your day they thought apes would rule us LOL.
    edited January 2010
    Year: 3000
    Planet: Earth
    Dominant Species: Penguins, I mean Apes!
  • edited January 2010
    Hello.
    My name is Paul and I live in Central Scotland; not the pretty part, but close enough if I feel the need to escape.
    I'm 48 years old, work in a mail sorting office and am just about to be presented with my third grandchild.
    I've had a lot of problems (not health related) which at the time seemed insurmountable, but I'm getting by and content with my lot.
    A few years ago, I stopped drinking after many years of abusing it and discovered that I have a spiritual side to my nature that has lain undeveloped for years. I'm trying to nurture this aspect of myself and have been 'studying' the Buddhist way for sometime. However, I'm finding it difficult to meet anyone locally who can teach me what I need to know, or even discuss the merits and philosophies of my chosen path. I work weird shifts and can't attend anything in the evenings so I'm having to take most of what I learn from books and the internet.
    I'm surprised that it has taken me so long to find this place. I'm constantly 'Googling' for Buddhist websites and this is the first time your site has popped up.
    I look forward to talking with you.
  • edited January 2010
    Hey Paul! :)
  • edited January 2010
    Hello new members - and welcome to the group ! :)

edited January 2010
    Hey Paul ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Hi, I'm Nhan, I'm 30 years old.
    I'm from Autralia, South Australia.
    I really want to become a member of a meditation group, pactising and doing something.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It's great to meet you all! Welcome. Make yourselves at home.

Hi, Ashley.

Your aspirations are wonderful and it sounds like you're going to do great work in the world. You go, girl! Remember, slow and steady wins the race and also helps prevent
    burnout. Lovely to meet you!

Hi, Badger.

I'm still laughing at your weight joke. Good one!

Hi, Kieran.

Lovely to see you.

Hi, Mike.

I love the book (and film) 'To Kill a Mockingbird' too. One of the best books ever written, in my humble opinion.

It's lovely to meet all you newcomers. I hope you find the site as friendly and helpful as I have and I hope you all stick around for a while.

Wishing everyone peace and joy!
    edited January 2010
    Hiya Nhan, I hope you find a nice meditation group :)

I laughed at that joke Badger ;)

Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Hi all!

My name is Danny and I currently live in Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm really interested in learning more about Buddhism, and have really thought about the Four Noble Truths lately. There are still some things I really want to ponder on, but I feel ready to start practicing Buddhism in my daily life. My dilemma is, I am not completely sure how to introduce practice. I have looked for groups in Indianapolis, but most are associated with different sects and I really have no interest in the cultural aspect of Buddhism (or I should say, practicing the cultural aspects...it is interesting too!). Hopefully I can make some good friends here who can help me on my path, and if I am very lucky I may be of benefit to somebody as well.

I look forward to meeting you all! Please do not hesitate to message me!
  • edited January 2010
    Hello Danny, welcome to the forum. If you can't find a "group" (I'm not sure if you mean meditation group or what here), there's no reason you can't practice all aspects of the Dhamma on your own. Would you clarify what you mean exactly?
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Danny!

Welcome 2 the forum.

You can learn a lot just reading some of the posts here.

If you was looking for a guide to practising Buddhism, I would recommend two books. One is 'Awakening the Buddha Within', which takes you step-by-step through the Four Noble Truths & the Eight-Fold path to enlightenment. I have read it a few times and it is excellent!

The second book is "the Art of Happiness" which is a shrink's investigation of why the Dalai lama is one of the most content, peaceful humans currently on this little planet.

Hope this helps

Namaste
  • edited January 2010
    Aldrisang wrote: »
    Hello Danny, welcome to the forum. If you can't find a "group" (I'm not sure if you mean meditation group or what here), there's no reason you can't practice all aspects of the Dhamma on your own. Would you clarify what you mean exactly?

Hello, nice to meet you! Sorry for being ambiguous, I just mean a group of people I can interact with for meditation and discussion. I keep finding great resources, but sometimes it would be great to just sit down and talk to somebody who has more knowledge than myself. :)

Also, Geoff...thank you for the suggestions! I will be sure to check those out.
  • edited January 2010
    Ah okay. Well, I had the same problem. There's nothing "Buddhist" around where I'm at, and most people are Christians here. I'd have to go hours out of my way for any kind of Buddhist interaction. I did everything by self-study, and here on the forum is where I come for questions, discussion and to help other people out.

As for meditation... I'm not sure that's so much a group thing. I'm sure there are classes that teach it and such, but meditation is really an internal thing. It might help to learn meditation techniques from a teacher, but most of your meditation would be done alone.