Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

emptiness creates illusion?

Comments

• Metta to you Cloud. The answer lies closer to peace and harmony and not confusion and disagreements.. Dont you agree?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol you could say it is the end to confusion and disagreement.
    just a deep acceptance of what is.

the buddha takes shits everywhere, but he chooses to take a shit in the toilet out of his/her compassion towards those he lives with.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Metta to you Cloud. The answer lies closer to peace and harmony and not confusion and disagreements.. Dont you agree?
    For me the answer lies in the disagreement and debate between DD and xabir atm. And why xabir's view is flawed in DD's op
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Without any disrespect, i suspect Zen_World is quite young.

I used to think a lot like that too. But with time comes an acceptance of the limits of knowledge.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to see discussions use sound clips or video posts like the spoken word thread that I been seeing. would be kinda cool. If they're willing to do it and not be too afraid to.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    If ignorance was a first cause, then ignorance would have arisen without cause, which is impossible.
    Your reasoning is rigid. It is doctrine rather than reality.

The Buddha taught there is no cause (hetu) of ignorance.

The Buddha taught there is only ahara (food).

As long as the five hindrances remain (as food), ignorance remains.

When when the five hindrances cease, ignorance is only diminished but it still remains, until the final vipassana.

Forget the doctrine and try to identify for yourself the cause of ignorance.

You can't! It is just there (until it extinguished when replaced with insight).

It is a "conditioned thing" because it can be extinguished but its cause cannot be experienced.

There is no identifiable or experiencible cause (hetu) of ignorance.

• robotrobot Veteran

It is a "conditioned thing" because it can be extinguished but its cause cannot be experienced.

thank you
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Xabir/DD:

Isn't any "first cause" argument redundant in Buddhism, considering the concept of beginningless time?
    edited May 2011
    Xabir is following your reasoning but I am not because beginningless time is unrelated to our personal spiritual reality

In our personal spiritual reality, the first cause of our sufferings is ignorance

When our mind's ignorance ends then all suffering ends in our mind

regards

:)
    Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabrications. From the cessation of fabrications comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering..

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.002.than.html
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    DD:

So then i think you're both right :)

> First cause of the cosmos is nonexistant in Buddhism.
    > But ignorance is our personal 'first cause' of suffering.
  • Everything is illusion and form is emptiness. Yet we reject nihilism.
    If the essence is emptiness, what causes the manifestation? and most importantly why?

Another way of asking this question: Emptiness is emptiness and it should stay as empty then why/how illusion arise from emptiness?

Emptiness is not an essence, like God. Dependent origination is beginning-less. There has never been non-existence from form to formless to form to formless...
  • DD:

Exactly, there is no first cause, and we've been cycling since beginning-less time, so we've always been ignorant until we reach Buddhahood.

• Exactly, there is no first cause, and we've been cycling since beginning-less time, so we've always been ignorant until we reach Buddhahood.
    If time is actually running backwards, wont we get to the beginning? Isn't the measure of time something from "start" to "present" to beyond?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    that is an abstraction in our minds. time is always right now. and right now is the intersection of the past and future. right now is also turning into the future as well. so time itself is moving forward.

we think and then we create past, future, present. when we don't think where is time?
  • Its where it always is. Not found yet.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The Buddha once said that all his teachings are but one leaf amongst a vast forest. With that in mind, the answer lies within searching.
  • Xabir is following your reasoning but I am not because beginningless time is unrelated to our personal spiritual reality

In our personal spiritual reality, the first cause of our sufferings is ignorance

When our mind's ignorance ends then all suffering ends in our mind

regards

The only problem DD is having is not seeing beginning-less past lives, thus the cycle of ignorance for an individual has no beginning, the only end is seeing reality directly. The cause of ignorance is not seeing reality directly. But, since both are empty, both are not inherent and are conditioned things. Both Nirvana and Samsara are conditioned. The condition for the arising of Nirvana is correct cognition of Samsara and the arising of Samsara is the incorrect cognition of ones self.
  • There are no answers to some questions.

Quote:

"What lies on the other side of Unbinding?"

"You've gone too far, friend Visakha. You can't keep holding on up to the limit of questions. For the holy life gains a footing in Unbinding, culminates in Unbinding, has Unbinding as its final end. If you wish, go to the Blessed One and ask him the meaning of these things. Whatever he says, that's how you should remember it."

Culavedalla Sutta: The Shorter Set of Questions-and-Answers

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.044.than.html
  • Exactly, there is no first cause, and we've been cycling since beginning-less time, so we've always been ignorant until we reach Buddhahood.
    If time is actually running backwards, wont we get to the beginning? Isn't the measure of time something from "start" to "present" to beyond?
    There is no beginning for time, just like there is no beginning for a sphere.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011

Your reasoning is rigid. It is doctrine rather than reality.
    Not really. A continuity of a process of interdependent origination... that is reality.
    The Buddha taught there is no cause (hetu) of ignorance.

The Buddha taught there is only ahara (food).

As long as the five hindrances remain (as food), ignorance remains.

When when the five hindrances cease, ignorance is only diminished but it still remains, until the final vipassana.

Ok... so... ignorance is a dependently originated manifestation... which is what I've been saying.

Ignorance

64. Saying, "Good friend," the bhikkhus delighted and rejoiced in the Venerable Sariputta's words. Then they asked him a further question: "But, friend, might there be another way in which a noble disciple is one of right view... and has arrived at this true Dhamma?" — "There might be, friends.

65. "When, friends, a noble disciple understands ignorance, the origin of ignorance, the cessation of ignorance, and the way leading to the cessation of ignorance, in that way he is one of right view... and has arrived at this true Dhamma.

66. "And what is ignorance, what is the origin of ignorance, what is the cessation of ignorance, what is the way leading to the cessation of ignorance? Not knowing about suffering, not knowing about the origin of suffering, not knowing about the cessation of suffering, not knowing about the way leading to the cessation of suffering — this is called ignorance. With the arising of the taints there is the arising of ignorance. With the cessation of the taints there is the cessation of ignorance. The way leading to the cessation of ignorance is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view... right concentration.

67. "When a noble disciple has thus understood ignorance, the origin of ignorance, the cessation of ignorance, and the way leading to the cessation of ignorance... he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view... and has arrived at this true Dhamma."

• so time itself is moving forward.
    Only in relation to objects. Time is merely an increment of movement, movement and time are the same, and dependently originated, thus empty. So, time is ungraspable as well.
  • Both Nirvana and Samsara are conditioned.
    Is vimutti conditioned too? Is there anything that's not conditioned?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    DD:

Exactly, there is no first cause, and we've been cycling since beginning-less time, so we've always been ignorant until we reach Buddhahood.
    Which begs the question: if we've had forever (infinite time) already and still aren't enlightened .. what hope is there?

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol there is no hope. just snap out of it and see what is.
  • Both Nirvana and Samsara are conditioned.
    Is vimutti conditioned too? Is there anything that's not conditioned?
    It depends upon the perspective one is taking. Vimutti is compared to what? Bondage. There is only liberation is there is bondage. So, from this dualistic interpretation with concepts, there is condition. Vimutti arises due to correct self cognition in relation to everything. But, since all things are empty, there is no bondage and there is no liberation either, and that's what the concept of "tathagatagarbha" is pointing to, beyond concepts while embracing concepts. At this point the only way of talking about it is through paradoxical statements or symbols such as the symbol of yin/yang.

The first statement of the Buddha after getting up from under the bodhi tree is recorded to have been, "Mind is uncompounded and pure since beginning-less time." I think I paraphrase a bit there, but basically, that's it... so I've read.
  • DD:

Which begs the question: if we've had forever (infinite time) already and still aren't enlightened .. what hope is there?

Buddhas are a prime example of hope. I see it, I feel it. It's in the poetry of Zen Masters...

Plenty of hope! Since it's all wide open infinitude! There is endless hope... or endless hopelessness if you want to go that route, it's up to you! You've been influenced by the Buddhadharma, take it to the hilt!
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I did a simple google search and found DD quoting this:

Quote:
    "A first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived (of which it can be said) 'Before that there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.' Though this is so monks yet a specific condition of ignorance can be conceived. Ignorance too has its nutriment I declare; and it is not without a nutriment. And what is the nutriment of ignorance? 'The five hindrances' should be the answer."

AN X.61

I think this actually explains my position as well... there is no first cause, there is no point at which "it all started".

Ignorance has no creator, it is interdependently arisen.
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    lol there is no hope. just snap out of it and see what is.
    Well sure, that too. :) Hope sometimes impairs dispassion, and I'm not talking about apathy here, but rather blissful dispassion which arises due to deep meditative realization of impermanence.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Buddhas are a prime example of hope. I see it, I feel it. It's in the poetry of Zen Masters...

Plenty of hope! Since it's all wide open infinitude! There is endless hope... or endless hopelessness if you want to go that route, it's up to you! You've been influenced by the Buddhadharma, take it to the hilt!
    Actually that was kinda a trick question, sorry :) The way i like to see it, "I" didn't exist in that infinite past .. so hope lives indeed!

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Buddha said Nibbana is a dhamma or a "thing". I already explained this to Cloud.

277. "All conditioned things [which excludes Nibbana] are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things [which excludes Nibbana] are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. "All things [which includes Nibbana] are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

There are, Ananda, these two elements: the conditioned element and the unconditioned element. When he knows and sees these two elements, a monk can be called skilled in the elements.

Bhikkhus, there are these two Nibbana-elements. What are the two? The Nibbana-element with residue left and the Nibbana-element with no residue left.
    I don't think Nagarjuna denied that Nibbana is unconditioned.

As a matter of fact I think he did state that nibbana is unconditioned dharma and samsara is conditioned...

What his point is, though, is that neither conditioned nor unconditioned dharma has intrinsic existence. (he points out that if conditioned dharma are not established, how can an un-conditioned dharma be established)

In one of his explanation of how Nirvana is beyond the four extremes of existence, non-existence, both and neither, he said, "13. How could nirvana be both a thing and nothing? Nirvana is unconditioned; things and nothings are conditioned."

Also, he said, "Because birth and remaining and perishing are not established, there is no conditioned. Because the conditioned is utterly unestablished, how can the unconditioned be established?"

http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/verses2.htm

This is of course a point that might not be agreed upon by all Theravadins I think.

• Which begs the question: if we've had forever (infinite time) already and still aren't enlightened .. what hope is there?

Actually that was kinda a trick question, sorry :) The way i like to see it, "I" didn't exist in that infinite past .. so hope lives indeed!

Right, even the beginningless-ness of your mind stream is an empty display.

Here... a good poem right about now!

It's a favorite of mine! It's really deep though. In my experience of reading it at least. It's not something to read quickly I think.

Nagarjuna's Mahamudra Vision

Homage to Manjusrikumarabhuta!

1. I bow down to the all-powerful Buddha
    Whose mind is free of attachment,
    Who in his compassion and wisdom
    Has taught the inexpressible.

2. In truth there is no birth -
    Then surely no cessation or liberation;
    The Buddha is like the sky
    And all beings have that nature.

3. Neither Samsara nor Nirvana exist,
    But all is a complex continuum
    With an intrinsic face of void,
    The object of ultimate awareness.

4. The nature of all things
    Appears like a reflection,
    Pure and naturally quiescent,
    With a non-dual identity of suchness.

5. The common mind imagines a self
    Where there is nothing at all,
    And it conceives of emotional states -
    Happiness, suffering, and equanimity.

6. The six states of being in Samsara,
    The happiness of heaven,
    The suffering of hell,
    Are all false creations, figments of mind.

7. Likewise the ideas of bad action causing suffering,
    Old age, disease and death,
    And the idea that virtue leads to happiness,
    Are mere ideas, unreal notions.

8. Like an artist frightened
    By the devil he paints,
    The sufferer in Samsara
    Is terrified by his own imagination.

9. Like a man caught in quicksands
    Thrashing and struggling about,
    So beings drown
    In the mess of their own thoughts.

10. Mistaking fantasy for reality
    Causes an experience of suffering;
    Mind is poisoned by interpretation
    Of consciousness of form.

11. Dissolving figment and fantasy
    With a mind of compassionate insight,
    Remain in perfect awareness
    In order to help all beings.

12. So acquiring conventional virtue
    Freed from the web of interpretive thought,
    Insurpassable understanding is gained
    As Buddha, friend to the world.

13. Knowing the relativity of all,
    The ultimate truth is always seen;
    Dismissing the idea of beginning, middle and end
    The flow is seen as Emptiness.

14. So all samsara and nirvana is seen as it is -
    Empty and insubstantial,
    Naked and changeless,
    Eternally quiescent and illumined.

15. As the figments of a dream
    Dissolve upon waking,
    So the confusion of Samsara
    Fades away in enlightenment.

16. Idealising things of no substance
    As eternal, substantial and satisfying,
    Shrouding them in a fog of desire
    The round of existence arises.

17. The nature of beings is unborn
    Yet commonly beings are conceived to exist;
    Both beings and their ideas
    Are false beliefs.

18. It is nothing but an artifice of mind
    This birth into an illusory becoming,
    Into a world of good and evil action
    With good or bad rebirth to follow.

19. When the wheel of mind ceases to turn
    All things come to an end.
    So there is nothing inherently substantial
    And all things are utterly pure.

20. This great ocean of samsara,
    Full of delusive thought,
    Can be crossed in the boat Universal Approach.
    Who can reach the other side without it?

Colophon
    The Twenty Mahayana Verses, (in Sanskrit,
    Mahayanavimsaka; in Tibetan: Theg pa chen po nyi
    shu pa) were composed by the master Nagarjuna.
    They were translated into Tibetan by the Kashmiri
    Pandit Ananda and the Bhikshu translator Drakjor
    Sherab (Grags 'byor shes rab). They have been
    translated into English by the Anagarika
    Kunzang Tenzin on the last day of the year 1973
    in the hope that the karma of the year may be mitigated.

May all beings be happy!
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    As I said - infinite regress.
    No

As I said, if there was infinite regress then suffering could not be ended

The cause of suffering could never be found in order to extinguish it

Your reasoning is 100% flawed, fatal and anti-Buddhism

It is adhamma

It is some kind of eternalism

Mixing too many religions is like mixing too many drinks or medications

Dangerous & futile

Regards

Sorry, infinite regress in the sense of beginningless - not endless.

This is in accord to what Buddha taught.

The Buddha has taught not once but more than once how there is no beginning to samsara and ignorance. He has also taught not once but more than once how there can be an end to samsara, ignorance and suffering.

• As a matter of fact I think he did state that nibbana is unconditioned dharma and samsara is conditioned...
    Samsara is due to self reference, and Nirvana is seeing through self reference, so Nirvana is really a concept used to elaborate on that which is neither a concept, nor not a concept, which both only have meaning conditioned by self reference.

So, there is no Nirvana other than in relation to what is already empty to begin with, thus the experience is freedom from extremes, even the concept of Nirvana!
    edited May 2011
    He has also taught not once but more than once how there can be an end to samsara, ignorance and suffering.
    Yes, for an individual, but because there is infinite regress, there is also infinite progress, and the fact that Samsara for an individual has no beginning, but has an end as Nirvana which has no end, the play never began and never ends.

Sorry that sounds cryptic.

Basically Samsara is beginningless and Nirvana is Endless.
  • what is the purpose of the practice or the goal of the practice if one realizes all these things such as nirvana being conditioned?
    edited May 2011
    So then i think you're both right
    That Xabir & myself are both right and that you can adjudicate on this matter is impossible.

Yourself and Xabir are both tied, bound, fettered, caught & stuck within the sphere of unverified superstition and this thread is about emptiness rather than about your unverifiable beliefs about a beginningless stream of samsaric mind.

In the suttas, the Buddha simply said: "A beginning point of this samsara of beings roaming & wandering hindered & fettered by ignorance & craving cannot be discerned".

That is all.

The Buddha here is not talking about a "beginningless beginning". The Buddha here is simply saying the beginning point of when ignorance & craving commenced in the universe cannot be discerned.

Further, the Buddha here is not talking about the beginning point of an individual stream of consciousness. As I said, the Buddha here is simply saying the beginning point of when ignorance & craving commenced in the universe cannot be discerned.

As I said, that Xabir & myself are both right and that you can adjudicate on this matter is impossible because the views of yourself and Xabir are tied, bound, fettered, caught & stuck within the sphere of unverified superstition.

Emptiness is something verifiable whereas your beliefs about beginningless beginnings are not.

Regards

DD:)

• xabirxabir Veteran
    Vajraheart, thanks for the clarifications :)
  • xabirxabir Veteran

The Buddha here is not talking about a "beginningless beginning". The Buddha here is simply saying the beginning point of when ignorance & craving commenced in the universe cannot be discerned.

Further, the Buddha here is not talking about the beginning point of an individual stream of consciousness. As I said, the Buddha here is simply saying the beginning point of when ignorance & craving commenced in the universe cannot be discerned.

Which is the same thing as what I am saying.
  • Vajraheart, thanks for the clarifications :)
    :) Thank you for your endless patience and clarifications as well my friend. :)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Oh and btw, Buddha certainly doesn't teach superstitions.

SN 15.3
    PTS: S ii 179
    CDB i 652
    Assu Sutta: Tears
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1997–2011

At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. What do you think, monks: Which is greater, the tears you have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — or the water in the four great oceans?"

"As we understand the Dhamma taught to us by the Blessed One, this is the greater: the tears we have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — not the water in the four great oceans."

"Excellent, monks. Excellent. It is excellent that you thus understand the Dhamma taught by me.

"This is the greater: the tears you have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — not the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a mother. The tears you have shed over the death of a mother while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease. The tears you have shed over loss with regard to disease while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."
    See also: SN 15.13.
    edited May 2011
    :):):)
  • What is the main purpose for practice or goal of Dzogchen?
  • What is the main purpose for practice or goal of Dzogchen?
    Primary goal is Buddhahood, secondary goal is "Body of Light"

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Rainbow_body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_body

edited May 2011
    I did a simple google search and found DD quoting this:

Quote:
    "A first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived (of which it can be said) 'Before that there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.' Though this is so monks yet a specific condition of ignorance can be conceived. Ignorance too has its nutriment I declare; and it is not without a nutriment. And what is the nutriment of ignorance? 'The five hindrances' should be the answer."

AN X.61

I think this actually explains my position as well... there is no first cause, there is no point at which "it all started".

Ignorance has no creator, it is interdependently arisen.
    AN X.61 does not explain your position at all.

Your tainted views bound & fettered in a quagmire of different religious & superstitious beliefs do not accord with those of the peerless Lord Buddha.

This sutta simply states: "A first beginning of ignorance cannot be perceived (of which it can be said) 'Before that there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.'".

The Buddha has asserted no state can be perceived which was without ignorance and then ignorance arose after it.

However, the Buddha negates asserting ignorance is independent by explaining ignorance has ahara or nutriment supporting it (not causing it but supporting it).

It does not matter how much you twist the words of the matchless Lord Buddha, your tainted views bound & fettered in a quagmire of different religious & superstitious beliefs do not accord with those of the peerless Lord Buddha.

Kind regards, with metta

DD :)

• It does not matter how much you twist the words of the matchless Lord Buddha, your tainted views bound & fettered in a quagmire of different religious & superstitious beliefs do not accord with those of the peerless Lord Buddha.
    That's your personal interpretation and nothing more.

Attachment to a view does have a tendency to negate progress in jhana.
    edited May 2011

SN 15.3
    PTS: S ii 179
    CDB i 652
    Assu Sutta: Tears
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1997–2011

At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. What do you think, monks: Which is greater, the tears you have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — or the water in the four great oceans?
    Xabir

You keep pasting suttas that I have already quoted.

What you have posted is a mistranslation. The Pali here means "running", like a horse runs. It does not mean "transmigration".

This matter has been clarified on this forum many times.

If you actually read this sutta, it is about suffering. It is about "crying & weeping" due to "loss".

Take care to not misrepresent the Lord Buddha.

edited May 2011
    Attachment to a view does have a tendency to negate progress in jhana.
    Dude, your mind has never entered jhana. Mere imaginings.

:eek2:
  • With the arising of the taints there is the arising of ignorance.
    Xabir

You continue to paste suttas that I have already quoted & explained, which negate your views.

This sutta is not about hetu (cause) but about samudhaya, which means "complete arising". I have already sugggested you learn some Pali rather than make interpretations based on your obsessions with other religions.

I have already said the dhamma explained here is circular.

Ignorance fully arises based on the arising of the taints (asava).

The sutta continues (but you only posted a selected portion) that the taints arise from the arising of ignorance.

Also, one of the taints (asava) is ignorance.

So this last point of the Venerable Sariputta, who the Buddha declared is the one person (unlike yourself) that can match him in expounding Dhamma, doesn't not change the salient dhamma that ignorance is the first cause of suffering.

With metta

edited May 2011
    That's your personal interpretation and nothing more.
    The suttas negate Xabir. Nothing to do with my personal views.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    With the arising of the taints there is the arising of ignorance.
    Xabir

You continue to paste suttas that I have already quoted & explained, which negate your views.

This sutta is not about hetu (cause) but about samudhaya, which means "complete arising". I have already sugggested you learn some Pali rather than make interpretations based on your obsessions with other religions.

I have already said the dhamma explained here is circular.

Ignorance fully arises based on the arising of the taints (asava).

The sutta continues (but you only posted a selected portion) that the taints arise from the arising of ignorance.

Also, one of the taints (asava) is ignorance.

So this last point of the Venerable Sariputta, who the Buddha declared is the one person (unlike yourself) that can match him in expounding Dhamma, doesn't not change the salient dhamma that ignorance is the first cause of suffering.

With metta

Btw, I never denied that it is circular (I have even explicitly stated that it is indeed circular). I never said there is a beginning or first cause or creator of ignorance. I merely said ignorance is interdependently co-arisen. Which is the point.

And as I said, my definition of first cause means something uncaused, and out of which all things emerge - a creator God in other words.

Since ignorance is interdependently co-arisen, it is no such thing.
This discussion has been closed.