Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

emptiness creates illusion?

Comments

• I just want to know (or realize) the "truth".
    Since my childhood I ask the question "why things the way they are"
    You are asking endless questions

"Truth" = cause & effect

But you are asking "why is truth truth?"

• the problem is simple you're asking a question from the mind and you are looking for an answer that is conceptual.
    you're not going to find the answer in a conceptual format. you're going to have to realize it through insight into the nature of reality.

it all comes down to thinking. you think this and you think that. you think that is right and you think that is wrong. you think and you create your conditioning and the universe. you think that there is answer thus you try harder to find that answer.

there is no answer. there is only the existential realization, which is i suppose an answer. but it isn't intellectual though i can
    be expressed in concepts.

have fun trying.
    I know why you mention "thinking". I see where you coming from...
    But why there is "thinking" at the first place...
  • Isn't conditioned essentially the same as dependently arisen?
    yes

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Just because we 'experience' something doesn't mean we can explain everything about it.
    Because "you can't explain it" doesn't mean that there is no answer...
    Obviously. My point is, I believe no one can answer it. So far, according to you, I am correct :) If you do find someone who can convincingly answer "why?" the cosmos is exactly as it is, i'd love to hear it.
    Send me a PM too. The answer simply isn't knowable by us, I'm done asking.

@zen_world Part of the problem here is you're misunderstanding Emptiness as nihilism. There can be no emptiness without "something" to be empty of. Emptiness in a void of nothingness makes no sense.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There is NO first cause of anything!
    Buddha said the first cause of suffering is ignorance

You sound so lost in philosophy

Imagine believing Daniel Ingram is fully enlightened

:orange:
  • I just want to know (or realize) the "truth".
    Since my childhood I ask the question "why things the way they are"
    You are asking endless questions

"Truth" = cause & effect

But you are asking "why is truth truth?"

No this is your assumption that cause and effect is the ultimate truth.
    How come there are cause and effects? What is the first cause...
    What bothers me is this: There should be nothing - so nihilism should be the ultimate truth- but there are something because we experience it - call it illusion or delusion.
    and why is that?
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There is NO first cause of anything!
    Buddha said the first cause of suffering is ignorance

Ignorance is not a first cause, since ignorance is also dependently originated (via a previous moment of ignorance, for example)... it is infinite regress without beginning and origin.

If ignorance was a first cause, then samsara would have a definable beginning in which 'it all started'. There is no such beginning... it is simply a interdependent process rolling on without a beginning or origin point.

But it is true that suffering does have a fundamental cause/condition which is ignorance (tho ignorance itself is interdependent originated)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    I'm bumping this.

I understand there is cause and effect...I am looking for the answer as to why there is cause and effect...

Let's break this down.

It goes something like this:

Me: "When the candle is placed and it is lighted up, fire burns, and all these serve as the condition for a rise in temperature."

You: "But what is all cause of all the causes such as candle, fire burning, etc (and its effects) to begin with?"

Me: "The candle is made of wax, which is formed by .... [explains the process of causality in which candle comes into manifestation], whereas the fire is lighted up because of the matchstick and the action of striking the matchstick and putting the flame on the candle, etc..."

You: "But what is the cause of ? ..."

Me: "[explains again]"

This process can go in for infinity.

There is NO first cause of anything! There is no first cause of manifestation and causality.

There is just an infinite regress of causality... that has no beginning and source. Every manifestation is the interaction of the entire universe... the total exertion of the universe, the totality of causes and conditions, gives rise to this moment of manifestation. Causality is simply the natural law - when there is this, that is, when this is not, that is not, when this arises, that arises, when this ceases, that ceases.

There is no origin, no source, no creator.

Even the so called creator God is simply a being deluded into thinking (since he was the first to re-appear in this universe while the previous universe was destroyed) he was a creator... where in fact he himself is born due to karma (causality), and all the beings that came after him as the first-born in this universe was also born out of karma.

There is no beginning, no origin.
    edited May 2011
    But why there is "thinking" at the first place...
    The capacity for thought is a mental element found in nature

Such questions are irrelevent in Buddhism

Buddha was concerned with WHY there is suffering

If you are not interested in WHY there is suffering, there is no reason to become a monk (unless you become a Tibetan monk and spend your day debating)

• @zen_world Part of the problem here is you're misunderstanding Emptiness as nihilism. There can be no emptiness without "something" to be empty of. Emptiness in a void of nothingness makes no sense.
    No I am not confusing nihilism with emptiness...I am aware of the difference...

• But why there is "thinking" at the first place...
    The capacity for thought is a mental element found in nature

Such questions are irrelevent in Buddhism

Buddha was concerned with WHY there is suffering

If you are not interested in WHY there is suffering, there is no reason to become a monk (unless you become a Tibetan monk and spend your day debating)

then Tibetan monk it is:)
    edited May 2011
    Ignorance is not a first cause, since ignorance is also dependently originated (via a previous moment of ignorance, for example)... it is infinite regress without beginning and origin.
    Sorry

Ignorance is the first cause of suffering

Remove ignorance and all of the other causes & conditions for suffering end

All these years of reading and you do not realise that. oh dear

:-/
    Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabrications. From the cessation of fabrications comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering..

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.002.than.html
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the answer you are looking for is love.
  • no the answer should be...."Nihilism" but it is not...
    there is something we are all missing...something really fundemantal...
  • then Tibetan monk it is:)
    Glad to be of service :)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011

Sorry

Ignorance is the first cause of suffering

Remove ignorance and all of the other causes & conditions for suffering end

All these years of reading and you do not realise that. oh dear

:-/
    Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabrications. From the cessation of fabrications comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering..
    Your first cause and my definition of first cause is not the same.

What I mean by first cause is something that is existing without cause, and out of which, there is a starting point that the rest of manifestation arises. In other words, the first cause is God.

Since nothing - including ignorance - exists without cause, (ignorance itself is interdependently originated), and there is no starting point of samsara, there is no first cause, only a process of infinite regress without beginning and a first origin-point.

This is not denying that ignorance is the fundamental cause/condition for suffering. (A fundamental cause/condition need not be a creator or first cause)
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Daozen: I understand we do not know the answers but that doesn't mean that there are no answers.
    OK, but it equally doesn't mean there ARE answers, does it?
    You initially said: Some questions have no answers. I am responding to you that there ANSWERS to every questions. We may not know it but there are Answers.
    Why are you so sure there is always an answer? Your whole argument is based on this assumption, but you haven't shown why it is a valid one.
    So I am looking for the answer "why things are the way they are"....
    If no philosopher or scientist in all of human history has ever come close to such an answer, what makes you think you'll find it here on this forum?

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    no the answer should be...."Nihilism" but it is not...
    you're asking why emptiness manifests into form. and your answer is nihilism? how does the lack of meaning have anything to do with this?

@zen_world Part of the problem here is you're misunderstanding Emptiness as nihilism. There can be no emptiness without "something" to be empty of. Emptiness in a void of nothingness makes no sense.
    No I am not confusing nihilism with emptiness...I am aware of the difference...

Thats what this is. This is nihilism.
    Emptiness is emptiness and it should stay as empty then why/how illusion arise from emptiness?

edited May 2011
    Indeed

As I said, you are asking the wrong questions

Buddhist questions are "why is there suffering?"

:)

• Dozen:

Like I said if you find me one question that has NO ANSWER, I will agree with you.
    "When will I die?" is a question with an answer - but I do not know the answer...
    Edgar Cayce for instance knew his death and Buddha knew when he will die.
    So ask me a question that has NO ANSWER?
  • xabirxabir Veteran

No this is your assumption that cause and effect is the ultimate truth.
    How come there are cause and effects? What is the first cause...
    What bothers me is this: There should be nothing - so nihilism should be the ultimate truth- but there are something because we experience it - call it illusion or delusion.
    and why is that?
    check my reply to you above
    Dozen:

Like I said if you find me one question that has NO ANSWER, I will agree with you.
    "When will I die?" is a question with an answer - but I do not know the answer...
    Like I said earlier, become a Buddha and you'll have your answer.
    edited May 2011
    Since nothing - including ignorance - exists without cause, (ignorance itself is interdependently originated), and there is no starting point of samsara, there is no first cause, only a process of infinite regress without beginning and a first origin-point.

This is not denying that ignorance is the fundamental cause/condition for suffering. (A fundamental cause/condition need not be a creator or first cause)
    Nibbana has no cause. Like Nargajuna, your view is contrary to Buddhism

The suttas state the origin of ignorance is the asava and the origin of the asava is ignorance

Ignorance is one of the asava

Just circular

It seems you are mostly concerned with philosophy

Your view means there can be no end of suffering because no original cause can be found

What you are saying makes 0% sense, just like Nargajuana makes 0% sense

Let me repeat: you are asserting no end of suffering can be found

:orange:
  • Dozen:

Like I said earlier, become a Buddha and you'll have your answer.
    That is the goal! Hope I have the right motivation tho:)
    edited May 2011
    Your motivation is not right.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Buddha said the cause of faith is suffering.

The right motivation is to end suffering.

Your question: "Where do the elements come from?" is the same as the monk who asked the Buddha: "Where do the elements cease without remainder?"

The Buddha answered: "This question is inappropriate".
  • Your motivation is not right.

Sorry to disappoint you.

I knew you were gonna say this...:)
    I do suffer too...with this question...

@zen_world Well done on the thread btw, 128 posts and counting all in just a couple hours. Fun times. :)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Your motivation is not right.

Sorry to disappoint you.

where is your suffering?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Zen_World: Google "Kurt Godel" and get back to me when you understand what he said. Here's a starter: he proved that some things CANNOT be proved.

• Your motivation is not right.

Sorry to disappoint you.

where is your suffering?
    because I have no answer to this question, everything loses its meaning. With no meaning in life, I do suffer...
  • robotrobot Veteran

Let me re: peat: you are asserting no end of suffering can be found

:orange
    It is hard to see how someone who had read Nagarjuna could say that he makes 0 sense. One could challenge parts of his logic maybe, but all of it, no way. You have not read him have you?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    thats your interpretation. where is your interpretation?
  • Zen_World: Google "Kurt Godel" and get back to me when you understand what he said. Here's a starter: he proved that some things CANNOT be proved.

Thank you....I will do that and get back to you...

• I believe the Buddha chose to not answer certain questions because the answer did not befit the person who asked. We should learn from this too and ask ourselves at times, "should I really be asking these questions"..
    edited May 2011
    It is hard to see how someone who had read Nagarjuna could say that he makes 0 sense. One could challenge parts of his logic maybe, but all of it, no way. You have not read him have you?
    I am referring to the points of discussion

Nibbana is void of cause, Nibbana is not dependently originated, ignorance is the first cause of suffering

I have read enough Nagajuna to understand his theories are just intellectual

In spiritual experience, effects do not become "causes"

In spiritual experience, attachment is not the cause of craving just because for craving to be a cause attachment must exist

So please do not lie about me not having read Nargajuana

Please wash out your mouth with soap and water

:sawed:
  • I believe the Buddha chose to not answer certain questions because the answer did not befit the person who asked. We should learn from this too and ask ourselves at times, "should I really be asking these questions"..
    honestly I thought about it many times and sometimes I feel guilty asking these questions.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Zen_World: Google "Kurt Godel" and get back to me when you understand what he said. Here's a starter: he proved that some things CANNOT be proved.
    Thank you....I will do that and get back to you...
    No problem. Enjoy :)

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    "because I have no answer to this question, everything loses its meaning. With no meaning in life, I do suffer..."

you're interpreting the lack of an answer as meaninglessness. that is your projection. it is neither meaningless nor meaningful.

if you cannot find your suffering and place it in my hands then you cannot say that you are suffering. where is your suffering? if you cannot answer that question then that means there is neither suffering nor not suffering. there just is what is. and if that lack of answer causes more suffering then find your suffering. where is it? what is the cause?

you won't find your answer in a concept. i promise you.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    honestly I thought about it many times and sometimes I feel guilty asking these questions.
    Its all in good fun. ;) I'm waiting for the next thread on emptiness (spare me), like some of you are. :D
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011

Nibbana has no cause. Like Nargajuna, your view is contrary to Buddhism
    Nibbana is not a thing so there is no cause. If the fire ceases, the absence of fire is not something that is being 'made' (even though the process of ceasing fire does have cause).
    The suttas state the origin of ignorance is the asava and the origin of the asava is ignorance

Ignorance is one of the asava

Just circular
    Precisely, so if it is circular, there is no first cause. As I said - infinite regress.

If ignorance was a first cause, then ignorance would have arisen without cause, which is impossible.

It seems you are mostly concerned with philosophy
    Not really. As right view is necessary for proper practice, it is important for right view to be discussed. If there is no proper view of dependent origination, then even if we meditate diligently, we might not realise what the Buddha realised.
    Your view means there can be no end of suffering because no original cause can be found
    Who said that?

There is no original cause, there is no beginning, and origin-point of samsara.

But there can be an end.
    It makes perfect sense actually.
    Let me repeat: you are asserting no end of suffering can be found
    Never said that!

I said no origin and beginning to samsara can be found, which is what Buddha himself have said.
    edited May 2011
    What I mean by first cause is something that is existing without cause
    :eek2:

try to let go of theistic philosophy...OK...it just creates confusion upon confusion
    edited May 2011
    Buddha said Nibbana is a dhamma or a "thing". I already explained this to Cloud.

277. "All conditioned things [which excludes Nibbana] are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things [which excludes Nibbana] are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. "All things [which includes Nibbana] are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

There are, Ananda, these two elements: the conditioned element and the unconditioned element. When he knows and sees these two elements, a monk can be called skilled in the elements.

Bhikkhus, there are these two Nibbana-elements. What are the two? The Nibbana-element with residue left and the Nibbana-element with no residue left.
  • "because I have no answer to this question, everything loses its meaning. With no meaning in life, I do suffer..."

you're interpreting the lack of an answer as meaninglessness. that is your projection. it is neither meaningless nor meaningful.

if you cannot find your suffering and place it in my hands then you cannot say that you are suffering. where is your suffering? if you cannot answer that question then that means there is neither suffering nor not suffering. there just is what is. and if that lack of answer causes more suffering then find your suffering. where is it? what is the cause?

you won't find your answer in a concept. i promise you.
    True...this is how I look at it too...but to end my suffering completely, I need to be enlightened...

• okay everyone...thank you for all the answers...I am out...
    some good discussion here....
    thanks again...
  • How'd he type so fast? :hair:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    This is a real knot. There's no intellectual enlightenment, like finding some logical reason/answer why everything is the way it is will bring an end to your suffering and you won't have any more questions. Put the question on a shelf and seek to realize Nirvana; the releasing of all this grasping for answers will be calm. It's the cure for this cold, this cold of needing answers.

There never has been an answer to this question, because it's a layer deeper than an already vexing question which is how everything started (which some answer with God, others answer with a Big Bang, etc.). If we're not even sure on that, how are we going even further down the rabbit hole? The Buddha didn't tell us. I think we have to realize emptiness for ourselves so that we stop needing to ask such questions that don't actually change anything for us... we'll just move onto more questions.
    edited May 2011
    thanks again...
    thanks

funnest fastest discussion ever

:rockon:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    just accept what is deeply. open up to what is. thrown down all concepts and just be. you're already here and there is nothing to achieve. all you have to do is remind yourself of what you already are and embody. that is all.

awakening happens when it does. one cannot force it nor make it occur. it just happens. we can only set up the right conditions. we do that by just accepting deeply and sincerely what is.
    edited May 2011
    As I said - infinite regress.
    No

As I said, if there was infinite regress then suffering could not be ended

The cause of suffering could never be found in order to extinguish it

Your reasoning is 100% flawed, fatal and anti-Buddhism

It is adhamma

It is some kind of eternalism

Mixing too many religions is like mixing too many drinks or medications

Dangerous & futile

Regards