Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The best thing that happened to you today.

Comments

• someone left this massive genius painting on my doorstep:
    Jeffreylobstersovashanyin
  • A decent sized thunderstorm rolled through much of the state I live. Was nice addition to this 70ish degree weather were having!

Jeffreysova
  • I received The Zen Teachings of Huang Po in the mail today! My son ran and hugged me when I picked him up from daycare. Dinner was nice.
    riverflowJeffreylobstersova
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Woke up at 5:45 to 18 inches of new snow that had drifted to 3 feet. Found out school was canceled (even 18 inches doesn't always mean no school here, lol) went back to bed! Yay sleeping in!
    Then when we got up the northern bobwhites were looking for breakfast so we fed them and watched them eat for a long time. Poor things looked miserable but they ate a lot. Love to watch them, they are a "treat" because they are not native to our area.
    It's my husband's day off, so once we get our cars shoveled out, we'll do our grocery shopping. Not the most exciting thing but we enjoy our shopping trips together.
    Rodrigoriverflowzombiegirl
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    karasti said:

It's my husband's day off, so once we get our cars shoveled out, we'll do our grocery shopping. Not the most exciting thing but we enjoy our shopping trips together.

If you can enjoy these little simple things in life, you're doing well.
    riverflowChe
  • Just ran across the street for a chai latte -- my Friday treat.
    riverflowJeffreylobster
  • We had an earthquake today. It wasn't really dangerous, just a little bit scary that's all, but it serves as a nice reminder of how fragile we human beings are and how precious it is to exist.
    Jeffreyzombiegirl
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I spent the day at the 2013 Oregon AFSCME Convention, which is turning out to be a lot of fun. So far I've met a lot of pretty cool people; I learned a bit about the organizational structure of AFSCME 75, the roles of delegates, and convention voting procedures; I heard Sen. Jeff Merkley (one of the best congressional representatives currently in office) and AFL-CIO president Tom Chamberlain (definitely no Eugene Debs) speak; and I was invited to the Next Wave's bowling and karaoke night at Lava Lane.

All in all, it's turning out to be a lot more interesting than I thought it'd be (although some of the parliamentary procedures and legalese are pretty tedious); and I really lucked out by going to the last steward training class and getting hooked up with a Next Wave scholarship less than a week before it started, which has paid for everything, including my own hotel room. Someone apparently couldn't make it, and my union rep got one of the organizers from the Next Wave committee to see about giving me their scholarship and taking their place. Who knew bureaucracy had a fun side?
    Vastmindzombiegirl
  • Che said:

Trying to decelerate my life has been a challenge for me, I have to constantly stop, breathe and slow down.

@Che - Something Leon Wieseltier wrote somewhere (can't recall if this is the exact quote): "I cannot imagine anything more revolutionary than to slow things down."

Taking my cue from Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings, I made an MP3 file of a "mindfulness bell" with 15 minutes of silence following which I put on repeat on my computer (I have it going right now). When the bell goes off, I stop whatever I am doing and focus on the breath for a few moments. I think of it as a sort of "mental re-calibration" when I get too "caught up" in what I am doing. I find it very helpful. (Maybe I'll look into how I can upload that somewhere if anyone wants to download it)

Best moment of the day (so far): Reading through the recent Sutra Study thread. Or maybe the sunshine. Or gazing out the window seeing the breeze move the grass and leaves outside. I'm too lazy to even write a haiku about it!
    zombiegirlChe
    The sun is shining. Over the past many months we've been experiencing this 6 days of cloud, 1 day of sun thing, and every time the sun is out, I'm so so happy. It was -10F this morning and even then, I was just happy to see the sun.
    riverflowzombiegirlsova
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Che said:

Trying to decelerate my life has been a challenge for me, I have to constantly stop, breathe and slow down. I was rinsing a plate under the tap in my kitchen sink this morning and splashing water on the sink, the tiles behind the sink and on me. I had a little epiphany, the tap was my life. I pulled it back to quarter speed, it rinsed the plate gently and fully without a drop of water anywhere else and it was so satisfying. I think I'll meditate on the gentle stream of water.

Immensely lovely. Might call you Faucet from now on :D

riverflowCheVastmind
  • sunshine. Lots of it.
    Vastmindlobster
  • CheChe Veteran
    @ Riverflow...Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? :)
    riverflow
  • I had a pleasant meditation where I felt easy going. I am up to 20 minutes and my legs are not falling asleep so far whereas they used to before changing to burmese.
    lobsterzombiegirlsova
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Sitting on the bench in the garden...sipping my coffee (with yummy
    toffee flavored creamer), and looking up to see the first rose bud of this
    spring....and watching a ladybug walk up and down the thorny stem.
    Then the sun hit my cheek.....does it get any better than this? :)
    Jeffreylobstersova
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    I got motivated to get myself back in shape. Currently in my running gear and about to go and run 5k, in the rain, must be done! Hope my ankle is ok as haven't ran on it since I twisted it in February and it's still quite sore.
    pommesetoranges
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Have had a daily meditation practise for 40 years and yet saw some of my own basic storyline, completely differently this morning while sitting. What we do is wonderous.
    VastmindJeffreylobstersova
  • I went on a run too. It has been a cold spring sometimes snow flurries and there is flooding due to super cold rain all week. Today it is in the 50s and there is a warm sun. In terms of sun closeness to the earth where I am one month away from the equinox april 20th is like august 20th sun position.

I made it a short distance but I am getting better and better. Then I sat in the sun with the first pipe of the day and for the first time in a while I didn't dump the pipe before finishing due to being super chilly.

I am looking forward to the aconite and daffodils.

daffodils photo: Daffodils Daffodils.jpg
    daffodils

aconite photo: Winter aconite Picture099.jpg
    aconite
    lobstersova
  • Buying a copy of Riverflow's excellent ambient CD...
    riverflowlobster
  • @nenkohai - thank you! - I have downloaded your Outbound, but have yet to give it a proper listen.
    nenkohai
  • Ahhh.... ye old mutual admiration society. And thank YOU, my friend!
    riverflow
    Found out that when my middle son starts 7th grade, there will be a new option for schooling in the area. Amazing. Very community oriented and very away from the teach-to-the-test model that our current school follows.
    JeffreysovaChe
  • What an extraordinary thread. What a joy. :)

I am using this app recommended by @Tosh (another runner)
    https://insighttimer.com/

I started meditating in darkness and finished in dawn light . . .
    karastirivercaneChe
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2013
    lobster said:

What an extraordinary thread. What a joy. :)
    ...... .

True! I'm lovin this thread more everyday.
    Gives you something to look for, doesn't it?

Today? So far...When I drove thru Burger King...
    instead of ordering a Whopper,no meat....there was a
    veggie burger option! How cool is that?
    sovalobsterChe
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Vastminds said:

True! I'm lovin this thread more everyday.
    Gives you something to look for, doesn't it?

Today? So far...When I drove thru Burger King...
    instead of ordering a Whopper,no meat....there was a
    veggie burger option! How cool is that?

dude, seriously? way cool! :D

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

Was too tired after my 10k race yesterday and didn't look up my time. Did it this morning and found out that my gf and I both finished under 1hr which was our goal (59:22 for me, 59:25 for her)! Quite pleased about that!

I'm actually sort of enjoying the soreness of my legs, just being able to have the time to stretch and take it easy since my classes are over.

Congrats! I was supposed to be doing 10k next month but visiting London now at that time and will miss it.
    Invincible_summer
  • I watched an hour and 45 minute Mooji talk where he had a discussion with a physicist.
    lobsterCheMaryAnne
  • Just made chamomile and apple tea, when brewed added fruit juice. Apple is nice but I had pineapple and coconut. And you thought tea and coffee was good. LOL
    riverflowsovaInvincible_summerChe
  • Today I learned that its still okay to make mistakes, even after your sure that you won't. And that was the best part of today, the best day of my life.
    Thanks for that. Wonderful realisation. :clap:
This discussion has been closed.