Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sayings

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If you really feel so sensitive to numbers 8 and 34, try substituting the word 'God' with 'You/Yourself'.

We are all our own divinity in the end.

We can't follow anyone else but ourselves.....
    riverflowCheTheEccentric
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." -- Anais Nin
    riverflowCheperson
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great liste! And thank you for sharing!!
  • "One is never happy once and for all and never unhappy once and for all. As long as one lives, there is no fixity. We know no definitive days. Melancholy has no more than a partial basis in reality, and the same is true of joy." ~Leon Wieseltier, Kaddish

"Two tasks of the beginning of life: to keep reducing your circle, and to keep making sure you’re not hiding somewhere outside it." ~Franz Kafka, Blue Octavo Notebooks

"We should seek neither to escape suffering nor to suffer less, but to remain untainted by suffering." ~Simone Weil, Gravity and Grace

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." ~Rumi

"We make our way through Everything like thread passing through fabric: giving shape to images that we ourselves do not know." ~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters

"It is not asked of us that we never fall over. It is asked of us that we always get up." ~Robert Fripp
    CheInvincible_summerlobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    "Wandering where it will, the elephant of the mind,
    Will bring us down to torment in the hell of Unrelenting Pain.
    No worldly beast, however wild and crazed,
    Could bring upon us such calamities.

If, with mindfulness' rope,
    The elephant of mind is tethered all around,
    Our fears will come to nothing,
    Every virtue drop into our hands."
    Shantideva

“Any man who is attached to things of this world is one who lives in ignorance and is being consumed by the snakes of his own passions”
    Black Elk

“The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize at the center of the universe dwells the Great Spirit, and that its center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.”
    Black Elk
    Cheriverflowmisecmisc1
  • CheChe Veteran

"You can't shake hands with a clenched fist"
    Indira Gandhi
    lobsterriverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_bump

A wise man hears one word and understands two. --Yiddish Proverb
    riverflowVastmind
  • Those in a hurry never arrive
    -Zen saying
    riverflowblu3ree
  • CheChe Veteran
    lobster said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_bump

A wise man hears one word and understands two. --Yiddish Proverb

"Good morning, this is Radio Tel Aviv, the time is now 9 o'clock......but for you.....8.45 :)
    Yiddish radio announcer

riverflow
  • CheChe Veteran
    "The greatest wealth is to live content with little".
    Plato
    riverflowkarastiLee82
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
    ― Rumi

riverflowpersonChemmo
  • The sword was ment to be more then a simple object, but rather the answer to lifes questions ~Miyamoto musashi

(very buddhist if you understand swordsmanship and zen)
    Che
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    "Sweet love showin' us a heavenly light, I've never seen such a beautiful sight"
    ~Kenny Loggins & Stevie Nicks
  • CheChe Veteran

"In a heart that is one with nature, though the body contends, there is no violence, and in the heart that is not one with nature, though the body be at rest, there is always violence. Be, therefore, like the prow of a boat. It cleaves water, yet it leaves in its wake water unbroken."
    Master PO
    Kung Foo 1972
    kashi
  • CheChe Veteran
    Very similar to Bruce Lee's water quote @ kashi.
    "Be like water"
    kashi
  • Rip Bruce.. ..we love you
    Che
  • The sword that cuts down evil gives life -old samurai proverb
    Che
  • "can you name all of your facebook "friends" without looking?" I asked my brother.. "no"
    Upon hearing that question he became enlightened and deleted all but who he really knew.
    personCheVastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
    ~Gurney Halleck fictional character from Dune the book
    driedleaf
  • CheChe Veteran
    At the risk of being ever so slightly biased..... Warren Beatty said " Women should be like money, when they get to forty, you should be able to change 'em for 2 twenties" :)
    kashiSillyPuttyVastmind
  • CheChe Veteran
    I also have it on good authority that this is a cougar philosophy :)
    Vastmind
  • CheChe Veteran
    That is one of my all time favourite quotes. Just beautiful.
  • "want nothing, have more...want more, have nothing " -kashi
    riverflowCheInvincible_summerEvenThird
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself"
    Anon
    kashiInvincible_summermmo
  • And no one can make you suffer but your self.
    CheriverflowInvincible_summer
  • lobster said:
    I especially loved this part:
    In traditional teachings on lojong it is put another way: other people trigger the karma that we haven't worked out. They mirror us and give us the chance to befriend all of that ancient stuff that we carry around like a backpack full of boulders.
    That was awesome. Thanks, @lobseter.
  • Im very much enjoying this thread, @Che
    Che
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    Buddhist meditation: We're sometimes caught in the assumption that we are actually ‘this person’ with these problems - buddhism now on facebook
    Chelobster
  • CheChe Veteran
    kashi said:

Im very much enjoying this thread, @Che

Reciprocating Metta for the joy, insight, humour and gentle intelligence that the Buddhist people on this wonderful forum have afforded me.
    Namaste

riverflowkashi
  • "what do you think? Is a stick enlightened or no?. ..truly even a stick has no attachments...has no view of a self. Are you more enlightend then a stick? "
    -kashi made up at the spurt of the moment as in just now!!
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @kashi - But a stick isn't even sentient and is arguably not even living so I don't think enlightenment is even a consideration here. Unless there are schools of Buddhism that suggest even non-living things have Buddha-nature, which is odd to me.

• Yes.. .but the stick in this example is the symbolic of total non attachment. The same is said is Zen about a mountian... .sit like a mountian.. .it is not bothered by the clouds rather rain or storm or snow or wind.. .be loke the mountian.
  • A pile of shit helps to fertilize the earth. In turn helps the tree grow. With enough rain and sunshine the tree produces good fruit. -kashi
    Jeffrey
  • A new one for me:

"No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place."
    ~ Zen saying

With credit to @lobster !
    kashiInvincible_summerCheEvenThird
  • CheChe Veteran
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    US Navy SEAL Motto
    EvenThird
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Before we can see properly we must first shed our tears to clear the way.”
    Old Indian Proverb
    kashiFlorian
  • Before one studies Zen, mountains are mountains and waters are waters;
    after a first glimpse into the truth of Zen, mountains are no longer mountains
    and waters are no longer waters; after enlightenment,
    mountains are once again mountains and waters once again waters.
    -Zen saying
    Invincible_summer
  • The samurai must maintain his faith in his beliefs, even as the social or political climate shifts and alters. He must be patient, must act in a manner that may at times seem irrational or illogical, must resist the temptations of instant gratification, and must work towards fulfilling what may seem to be an impossible idea.

As a result, the samurai is often something of an outsider, a rebellious figure because he refuses to conform to the habits of the day.

(Takahiro Kitamura) 
    Che
  • It takes real courage to admit your faults and weaknesses, but when you face them head on you become stronger.
    -kashi
  • @Che
    I have heard this story before, the first time was my stepfather told me...hes jewish LMAO!!
    Che
This discussion has been closed.