Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sayings

Comments

• A young woman asked Suzuki Roshi after a talk, “Roshi, sometimes when I’m trying to decide what I should do, I ask myself, ‘In this case, what would Roshi do?’ Should I continue that practice?”
    Roshi answered, “Then should I also ask myself, ‘What would Roshi do?’
  • Why take pride in this body and in possessions?
    they do not last.
    They are like castles in the sand swept away by the tide;
    like the scent of a flower carried off by the wind.
    -Buddha
  • Do not humble your self in this human life, then perhaps you will be humbled in the lower states of existence.
    -Unknown
  • "I hope your day improves... and if not today, then tomorrow! That is the upside to impermanence!"
    - @riverflow
    riverflow
  • "Some mother *****rs are always trying to ice skate uphill"
    -blade
    movie quote
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Measure it twice lad; you'll only be cutting it the once"

Can be applied, metaphorically, to virtually any situation....
  • CheChe Veteran
    A builder's golden rule @Federica ;)
  • "Good fruit makes good shit."
    -me
    kashiInvincible_summerBeej
  • kashi said:

"Some mother *****rs are always trying to ice skate uphill"
    -blade
    movie quote

I've actually skated uphill- and down. When I was around 14 we recieved 1/2 inch of freezing rain on top of the snow. Nothing was moving anywhere. We put our skates on and went anywhere we wanted. Across yards, up and down hills. It was magical.
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    "The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
    They must be felt with the heart".
    Helen Keller
    kashi
  • CheChe Veteran
    "A good thing is all the sweeter when won with pain"
    Chinese Proverb
    kashi
  • Che you come up with awesome quotes man
    John_Spencer
  • CheChe Veteran
    Thanks mate, it makes me happy that it pleases you :thumbup:
    John_Spencer
  • CheChe Veteran
    "If you love all things, you will also attain the divine mystery that is in all things. For then your ability to perceive the truth will grow every day, and your mind will open itself to an all-embracing love".
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    kashi
  • If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.
    -Buddha
    (note* i haven't seen this in any sutta or sutra as of yet. I found this online and thought it was insightful, so - "Buddha" perhaps)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    kashi said:

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.
    -Buddha
    (note* i haven't seen this in any sutta or sutra as of yet. I found this online and thought it was insightful, so - "Buddha" perhaps)

There's a website dedicated to sussing out questionable quotes attributed to Buddha. Here's a link to this one.

http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/fake-buddha-quote-if-we-could-see-the-miracle-of-a-single-flower-clearly-our-whole-life-would-change-2/
    kashiSillyPutty
  • nice
  • something about that quote just "felt"strange. Still a good quote.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The flower thing sounds like the diamond sutra where the interconnectivity in time and space and experience of a flower paradoxically says that it is not a flower of a single essence, but in not being a flower the qualities of non-self are appreciated. The flower is inseparable from the bud and the sun and the gardner they are all connected. And because of the interconnection the true flower is seen. I would say it is similar with the true self although in that case the awareness is emphasized because we relate happy and sad to our minds and bodies and it's a bit of a needle in a haystack to notice that we cannot hold onto all good things/arisings and never have painful where we feel hopeless or embarassed or stupid.

It's easy to see how a flower is non-self or a table or chariot. It's hard to see how worries and aches of some kind are non-self and just arisings and impermanent.

The true flower only dies in the sense of changing. Whereas the unreal flower is now gone.
    ChelobsterkashiStraight_Man
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Without a beginning, there is nothing to worry about the end
    http://www.nomadicnotes.com/travel-blog/52-inspiring-buddhist-quotes-and-sayings-on-life/
    Chemisecmisc1
  • CheChe Veteran
    What a beautiful setting to contemplate such inspirational sayings, under a tree where a certain being became enlightened :om:
    kashi
  • kashi said:

kashi said:

"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.
    -Buddha"

Something about that quote just "felt"strange. Still a good quote.

I maintain that even if the Buddha didn't say that - he would have. It's a good quote.
    Chelobster
  • Now that reading more into it, it really doesn't matter if The Buddha said it or not. @Jeffrey thats extremely insightful
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." - "It is best to endure what you cannot change."
    Seneca
    kashiInvincible_summer
  • “Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.”
    -Sun Tzu
    Che
  • “Even the finest sword plunged into salt water will eventually rust.”
    -Sun Tzu
    person
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    "The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be." -- Marcel Pagnol
    mmo
  • Celebrity is a mask that eats into the face. As soon as one is aware of being somebody, to be watched and listened to with extra interest, input ceases, and the performer goes blind and deaf in his over animation. One can either see or be seen.
    -John Updike
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    "Today, love wins."
    MN State Senator Tony Lourey, during the debate to legalize gay marriage (which tomorrow will become law, yay!!!)
    Invincible_summerVastmindlobsterEvenThird
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited May 2013
    " I believe in nothing..... everything is sacred to me.
    I believe in everything..... nothing is sacred to me."

-Author, Tom Robbins (from 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues')
    Invincible_summerChekashiVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    "I looked at all friends, and did not find a better friend than safeguarding the tongue.
    I thought about all dresses, but did not find a better dress than piety.
    I thought about all types of wealth, but did not find a better wealth than contentment in little.
    I thought of all types of good deeds, but did not find a better deed than offering good advice.
    I looked at all types of sustenance, but did not find a better sustenance than patience."
    Hadrat Umar
    Chekashipersonpegembara
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom"
    Aristotle
    kashilobstermmo
  • God is dead.
    - Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
    - God.
    lobsterJohn_Spencerbanned_crab
  • CheChe Veteran
    Used to be Foo :)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    “It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk
    lobstermmo
  • “It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk

Nice quote.

Interested to read that recent research suggests that looking at Facebook photos can help us to remember sweetness:

‘Yet this research shows we are more likely to use it to connect with our past selves, perhaps when our present selves need reassuring. The pictures we often post are reminders of a positive past event. When in the grip of a negative mood, it is too easy to forget how good we often feel. Our positive posts can remind us of this.’
  • CheChe Veteran
    “Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.”
    Michael Levine
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Life is like a piano, the white keys are happy moments, the black keys are sad moments but both keys are played together to make beautiful music".
    Unknown

mmo
  • CheChe Veteran
    "All seasons are beautiful for the person who carries happiness within".
    Tibetan saying
    lobstermisecmisc1mmo
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Che said:

"All seasons are beautiful for the person who carries happiness within".
    Tibetan saying

"Yet, only there in depth of winter, did I find within me a summer, invincible."
    (Albert Camus)

(with thanks to @invincible_summer)

Invincible_summermisecmisc1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    The Four Reliances
    First, rely on the spirit and meaning of the teachings, not on the words;
    Second, rely on the teachings, not on the personality of the teacher;
    Third, rely on real wisdom, not superficial interpretation;
    And fourth, rely on the essence of your pure Wisdom Mind, not on judgmental perceptions.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/becomingabuddhist/a/The-Four-Reliances.htm
    CheVastmindJeffrey
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    I just saw a picture in a shop which said 'Happiness is an inside job'. It made me smile.
    lobsterCheJohn_SpencerEvenThird
  • CheChe Veteran

“Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts.”
    Thich Nhat Hanh
    riverflow
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    "There is no secret ingredient. It's just you." Panda
  • CheChe Veteran
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion"
    The Dalai Lama
    lobsterEvenThird
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Don’t seek reality, just put an end to opinions"
    Sheng-ts' an
    lobsterEvenThirdmmo
  • CheChe Veteran
    "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"
    Confucius
    John_Spencerlobstermmo
  • "The eye with which I see God is the same with which God sees me. My eye and God's eye is one eye, and one sight, and one knowledge, and one love." ~ Meister Eckhart

"I laugh when I hear that the fish in the water is thirsty." ~ Kabir
    CheJohn_Spencerlobstermisecmisc1
This discussion has been closed.