Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited December 2014

I love cutting to the chase @SpinyNorman‌ but should it be regarded as intelligent falling, or just fooling up and down, or for the dyslexic community Just fowling about everywhere!

Just for those of you who decide to attack my coomoments and flag my inapppropriate comment re dislexiconography; its all because there's a zip in the front of my genes that i mite bee being regarded as over the top re: disability learning - I have too dyslexic kids and aparently its awl my own flute!

Sorry those red lines on the speel checker - desided to let them remain as an example of myself... that allowed those little genies to propogate!

...\lol/...

silver
  • My cat is sick. Just last month she was begging for ice cream. I think she is going to die because she lost half her body weight. I don't think the vets know what's going on at least I have had several animals where the vets diagnosis was wrong and then died. :'(

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Jeffrey -- It's been said the smaller the creature, the shorter their life spans are.
    I used to own cats - usually one at a time, and then had 2 (1 bro. and 1 sis) - one ran away and the other one died of natural causes when he was 14.

It sounds a bit icky, but owning pets and having to cope with their illnesses and death is in a sense, good 'practice' (the dharma?) I'm such a beginner, I don't know a dharma from a karma sometimes, but I think you'll know what I mean.

How old is your cat?

Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2014

Could be a thyroid problem. Our neighbour's cat (13 years old) was looking thin and elderly.... not eating well, lethargic... the vet carried out tests and diagnosed a thyroid condition. The cat has now re-gained weight and is more sprightly and energetic.

Consider it, at least.
    I'm sorry though, that it causes you grief. It's not a nice thing to have to go through....

Jeffrey
  • Thanks federica maybe it's a thyroid. silver we found the cat outdoors with a head injury while we were looking for a different lost cat about 8 years ago. She is probably 10 years old about. The vets think that something or other with an infection and a problem with proteins in the kidney.

• my mom said the vet checked the thyroid. i think the blood labs indicated an infection. she had one last year that gave her nystagmus (eye twitching) and got better from that.. maybe she will get better? thanks Rowan1980.

Rowan1980
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Well, possible your cat will recover, humans and animals DO recover from some infections.

Rowan1980Jeffrey
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited December 2014
    I'm having one of those moments on social media where I'm not sure if someone who follows/comments on my stuff is trying to goad me into a fight or not. Textual conversations make it super hard for me to pick up on stuff like that. If I post anything positive-and not in a Pollyanna way-it's met with snark or he vents about his own stuff on my timeline. Awwwwwwkwaaaaard! He's not a bad guy, but he's clearly got a lot on his plate and lacks the resources to channel his "stuff" appropriately.
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

So sorry about your cat, @Jeffrey :(
    My Siamese cat Coco passed away at age 15 two years ago and we're still mourning her.
    My two tortoises, instead, are blooming at 37 years, and promise to live well into their hundreds.
    My father gave them to me when I was seven, so we grew up together.
    I always recommend tortoises to people who want to be spared mourning their pets.

Rowan1980Jeffreyanataman
    I believe some birds have a pretty long lifespan as well, if I'm not mistaken.

We're mourning the loss of my little old man rat, Neil deRat Tyson. We had to put him down a little while ago because he wasn't responding to treatments and had stopped eating. We buried him in his Star Trek hammock with some treats near his late brother. They pack a TON of love and personality into a teeny lifespan.
    BuddhadragonsilverJeffreyanataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Rowan1980 said:
    I'm having one of those moments on social media where I'm not sure if someone who follows/comments on my stuff is trying to goad me into a fight or not. Textual conversations make it super hard for me to pick up on stuff like that. If I post anything positive-and not in a Pollyanna way-it's met with snark or he vents about his own stuff on my timeline. Awwwwwwkwaaaaard! He's not a bad guy, but he's clearly got a lot on his plate and lacks the resources to channel his "stuff" appropriately.

>

There's nothing written anywhere that stipulates you are supposed to tolerate stuff like this....
    If it's FaceBook, block him. I had absolutely no qualms whatsoever blocking a close relative because they really were ripping me a new one, and frankly, at the time, not only was it unjustified, it was also totally unprovoked, unnecessary and unwarranted.

After a while we met at a family function, and they apologised for their frankly shocking behaviour. Another family member had apparently wiped the carpet with said offending relative, and after a while, I unblocked them.
    They didn't even know I'd done it/undone it....

Rowan1980SarahTsilverHamsaka
    edited December 2014
    @federica‌ -I ended up doing so. While I get what he tries to say, I feel like the frequent traipsing into my own space to tear down what I write or share in a manner akin to "I don't like what you convey, so I'm going to criticize it" is getting old. Constructive criticism and dialogue is one thing. This almost feels like "I'm not happy, and I don't want to see happy things on YOUR timeline." I hope he gets help. I'm not mad at him, but, well, yeah.
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

While none of us know your whole experiences with this fellow, @Rowan1980, it sure sounds like he's a bit of a bully. Did that notion ever cross your mind? Sometimes, we girls fall for the tough guys and bullies -- even on-line ones. If anyone ever gets the chance to watch the Simpsons episode where Lisa falls for Nelson, it's a really good one. Just my 2 cents.

Rowan1980
    edited December 2014
    @silver‌ -Anything is possible. It has crossed my mind, but, as mentioned previously, I often have difficulty sussing out tone, intention, and such in online spaces. He didn't always engage in these behaviors with me, so I suspect some major upheavals that I am aware of might have triggered them. That doesn't at all excuse bad behavior, mind you, but I was taking a wait-and-see approach for a while.

I can't say I "fell for him" romantically, though. I'm happily married to a good woman, and he honestly wasn't my type. On a few levels. :) He's not into women, anyway, so that stuff was never a problem.

Oh! I have a real time of it since this forum doesn't indicate M or F like many do....not that it matters as much these days, @Rowan1980.
    :smirk:

Rowan1980
    @silver -Nah, no worries. I'm a chick married to another chick. I don't think we're terribly common in many Buddhist circles. :)
    lobsteranataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Rowan1980: I feel like I can suss out 'intent' and stuff like that in mere text. My first reaction to knowing that is that I must be doing a lot of projection, because there really IS a dearth of 'information' to give context when it comes to written communication.

But think about it. The use of context, timing and repetition naturally 'become' our 'nonverbal' contributions.

Our language oriented brains fill in, co-opt what's already there and begins to use it to make up for the apparent gaps. Our visual cortex 'fills stuff in' that is actually missing so what we THINK we see is complete. Of course this happens in the verbal brain.

I give myself permission to at least pay attention when I sense aggression of some sort. I think people don't give themselves permission as often as they NEED to, to acknowledge aggression is happening. It hearkens back to the topic of bullying, where people are good at recognizing physical aggression but terrible at recognizing mental and emotional aggression. We call it everything BUT aggression, seem reluctant to admit what it is. This only serves the bully.

Rowan1980lobstersilver
  • @silver said:
    If anyone ever gets the chance to watch the Simpsons episode where Lisa falls for Nelson, it's a really good one.

Glad I am not the only one who gets their life coaching tips from the Simpsons ;)

silverRowan1980Vastmindanataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@lobster said:
    Glad I am not the only one who gets their life coaching tips from the Simpsons ;)

You thought you were alone there? Sad! "Family Guy" has some seriously good tips, too.

lobster

OMG!! I have just finished making the most delicious, authentic Indian recipe for lime pickle, and in spite of bottling it today, I am so tempted to start eating it right now!! Who's for the recipe...?! I'll PM you with it, if you want it!! It's utterly delicio-scrumptious!

Rowan1980Vastmindsilveranataman
  • I wants lime pickle! Oops :o

. . . just an arising . . .

My kind sister brought me dharma goodies from Thailand . . .

I am gonna be so 'ultra spiritual in my new T shirt, straw sandals and prayer beads and mala. o:)

The T shirt is of a previous incarnation of the Buddha when he was half bird and half woman - Yep you heard it here first. The Buddha was a woman.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinnara

VastmindRowan1980BuddhadragonSarahT
    edited December 2014

@federica said:
    OMG!! I have just finished making the most delicious, authentic Indian recipe for lime pickle, and in spite of bottling it today, I am so tempted to start eating it right now!! Who's for the recipe...?! I'll PM you with it, if you want it!! It's utterly delicio-scrumptious!

>

That sounds just so exotic.

I love pickles and I love lime, count me in.

@Rowan1980 said:
    I'm a chick married to another chick. I don't think we're terribly common in many Buddhist circles. :)

Yes and no... <3
    http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/lesbian-couple-first-buddhist-wedding110812

Rowan1980Vastmindlobsterrobot
    A lovely couple indeed! Props to them! **applauds** :smiley:
    Buddhadragon
  • @silver said:
    I love pickles and I love lime, count me in.

Tee hee. In American I believe 'pickle' means pickled gherkins? In Indian English it means flavour. Lime pickle burger . . . now that is real food across the food traditions . . .

@lobster said:Tee hee. In American I believe 'pickle' means pickled gherkins? In Indian English it means flavour. Lime pickle burger . . . now that is real food across the food traditions . . .

Yeah! I would've got the picture, if it was called pickled limes or something like that.

We Amuricans have sweet pickles, dill pickles, deli dill pickles, bread n butter pickles, etc.

Rowan1980
    @federica‌ -I'd be interested. I've never made pickles, but I'm willing to give it a whirl. :smile:

OK, @Rowan1980‌, PM on its way!

Rowan1980
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

Have just been told the Today programme (radio each morning in the UK interviewing politicians etc) wants to interview me tomorrow morning!!!!! Apparently they will send a car so I will actually get to go to the London studio, together with the Chief Exec of a mental health charity called Mind.

Waiting for the Beeb's researcher to call me. Golly ... :wtf:

Rowan1980HamsakaBunks

Well, I won't be home but I will be sure to listen to it on the podcast!!

All confirmed - due to go on after the 8.30 news slot. Thank goodness for Buddhist chant music :)

lobster

Oh wonderful! I shall be home then! I will listen!

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

@silver said:
    Oh! I have a real time of it since this forum doesn't indicate M or F like many do....not that it matters as much these days, Rowan1980.

As a matter of fact, if people choose to put in their gender, and if they ever change their profile picture, all you have to do is click on their username and scroll down their page to find out —X changed his or her profile picture. (That assuming that they are telling the truth!!!) Useless information or not, whether you asked for it or not.

Happy Lime Pickle Season to All and to All a Good Night!

2am - just got message that Today have cancelled. Grateful to know all things are transient! Instead will be on 5 Live. Not sure when. Om .....

Hamsaka

Excuse me, @SarahT, what would the interview be about?
    I don't know if I missed some post...
    Hope it happens eventually :)

@SarahT said:
    2am - just got message that Today have cancelled. Grateful to know all things are transient! Instead will be on 5 Live. Not sure when. Om .....

>

Bummer. I listened, too! Keep us posted on the 5 Live deal...!

Interview was about getting people with mental health problems back to work. MIND has just started a campaign about how inappropriate the govt's current so called "support" is. Their report can be seen at http://www.mind.org.uk/media/1690126/weve_got_work_to_do.pdf

Did get interviewed by 5 Live. They ordered the cab for the wrong day so ended up doing it over the phone! Not sure it can be got on podcast but those who heard it said I did good :)

So sorry @federica :( Hope listening didn't wreck your am too much!

Rowan1980

Not at all! I heard all about how some folk believe climate change is all a figment of scientists' imaginations, in spite of extensive research and evidence! Some real dumbnutz out there! :s:D

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

I just found out you can order custom decks of playing cards online, manufactured to your specifications using the images you provide... so naturally I made a Pazaak side deck! :mrgreen: This makes me very happy because the game is so addictive in Star Wars: KOTOR, and you can use a normal poker deck as the Pazaak main deck by just removing all the Js/Qs/Ks. If anyone wants the relevant info and images (including for a main deck), hit me up with a PM. My deck only set me back $7.38 and that's including shipping!

Rowan1980
  • @federica said:
    Not at all! I heard all about how some folk believe climate change is all a figment of scientists' imaginations, in spite of extensive research and evidence! Some real dumbnutz out there! :s:D

Not just scientists, but historians... the climate has always changed

Rowan1980
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

I just read a couple articles talking about how only about half of the medical advice given by Dr. Oz is substantiated by science, and about 15% of what he says is flatly contradicted by science. SMH and going to bed! Good night deluded, gullible world!

edited December 2014
    My wife and I are spending the holidays with my family. We're currently dog sitting this sleepy lovebug while my brother and my sister-in-law are at a holiday shindig at their friend's house.

http://newbuddhist.com/uploads/editor/v2/we554q4douj7.jpg
    silvermmo

As happens every year, result of the Xmas diet, after two weeks of eating indecently, I can't zip up my jeans.
    Can't wait for January to begin! :s

how

@DhammaDragon said:
    As happens every year, result of the Xmas diet, after two weeks of eating indecently, I can't zip up my jeans.
    Can't wait for January to begin! :s

>

Oh dear! I'm glad I'm a closet eater.

There are zillions of tricks to try and lose weight, but one of my favorites is looking at pictures of ladies that I 'know' I'll look like when I get some of the weight off.

Nirvana

Mine is actually quite simple: lots of yoga and back to healthy eating.
    Usually that should put me back on track in two weeks tops.

silverRowan1980

100% polyester pajama bottoms ("sleep pants") have to be the softest, most comfy thing ever. I do love Christmas. :)

No, @Toraldris: 100 % silk IS paradise...
    edited December 2014

@DhammaDragon‌ I'll have to try sometime, I just know that these are so soft I want to be wrapped up in them. I want to be enfolded in a mountain of polyester. =P Drowned in a sea of satin will be next year!