Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did Buddhism miss the mark?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited July 2013 in Philosophy
In advaita, they often give the following example: an object exists, then it is destroyed. But existence always is - and therefore this existence is the truth. Note it is not the existence of this or that object, BUT THE FACT OF EXISTENCE itself.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    I regret to inform you, that such questions will not be solvable . . . have dharma fun instead . . .
    KundoInvincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've never completely understood that part of Buddhism. Existence is supposed to be a mental construct, or something? :scratch: I've just resigned myself to the fact that I may never get it.
    Kundo
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Dakini said:

I've never completely understood that part of Buddhism. Existence is supposed to be a mental construct, or something? :scratch: I've just resigned myself to the fact that I may never get it.

That's because Buddhists don't usually explain this part clearly. Existence is not a mental construct because the person who has such constructs must exist in the first place. Put simply, existence is the very ground, the foundation, according to advaita. everything else- ideas, concepts etc. - is built upon it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Buddhism is not making general statements about the universe because they don't really help individuals. The statements the Buddha made were always from a practical/personal point of view. So existence and non-existence are to be reflected upon mainly internally instead of externally.

From a scientific point of view you also can't say existence always was or will be. Was there something before the big bang? Since there was no time, can we speak of existence like this? It is the chance of things that creates this metaphysical existence, which again is not really that important from a Buddhist point of view.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Both formerly and now, monks, I declare only stress and the cessation of stress."
    No, it doesn't miss the mark. :)
    Invincible_summer
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    It seems to me, and I'm guessing, that existence is a property that depends on intentional consciousness, time and space etc., and that Buddhists are asked to see beyond existence to the unmanifest, to transcend the distinction between existence and non-existence.. So existence would be a mental construct and it would not be correct to say that there is any true existence. If Nagarjuna can say that nothing really exists then this would suggest that existence does not really exist. Or not the way we usually think it does. Just thinking out loud...

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I like @Bodhivakas' explanation as it reflects my own. Things change but are never truly destroyed as they still exist within whatever form we take next.

If we can see the tree in the sheet of paper, we can see the seed as well.

It seems to be saying the same thing as I think Buddha was saying.
    ShigoKundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I think the four constructs are useful:

It exists.
    It does not exist.
    It both exists and does not exist.
    It neither exists nor does not exist.

These guideposts are useless as tits on a bull when approached intellectually. Picking philosophical boogers never assured a peaceful and happy life. The guiding nature of these assertions lies in the degree to which individuals are willing to realize or actualize ... as in learning the taste of tea by tasting the tea. No one has to drink tea, but anyone who wants to know the taste will have to pick up the cup and sip.... meaning....

Practice.
    riverflowShigoKundoInvincible_summer
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    @genkaku - I would agree (of course) with the ultimate uselessness of an intellectual understanding. Still, I believe that these four constructs can be usefully analysed with the intellect, and that it is possible to overstate the uselessness of the intellect, tits on a bull etc.. We might as well use it to the extent that we can, and these constructs, or aspects of truth, are not actually impervious to analysis.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think its something like calling something the foundation of existence requires the existing things. Like it doesn't make any sense for an event to be a cause until an effect arises or to call a man a father until there is a son, these things arise simultaneously.

I don't know, there could be some kind of ultimate ground of existence but to hold it as independent of the things that exist would act as a subtle block to realizing true suchness.
    Shigo
  • Bodhivaka said:

As I understand it, all "objects" are empty of self. Take a cake for example -- it seems like a single, static object, but in reality it true existence can be reduced to something much different.

Cakes are a combinations of eggs, milk, batter, frosting, etc. Do these components comprise the cake's true existence? No, we can reduce it further.

Eggs, milk, batter, and frosting are all comprised of molecules. Let's reduce it further. Molecules are composed of atoms. Atoms are composed of sub-atomic particles. Continue to reduce the objects and eventually you will arrive at the true nature of reality -- the true essense of existence that gives rise to all objects.

Once you realize this existence, you can realize that the cake is only one form true existence can adopt. Destroy the cake by eating it, smashing it, burning it or what have you, and all you have done is destroyed a manifestation of true existence, but true existence itself remains.

In short, objects exist as a manifestation of the true nature of reality and existence, you can destroy and alter those manifestations, but the true nature of reality and existence will always remain.

That's how I interpret it, anyways.

This!!

• Shingo very interesting. You have a very succinct, understandable way of explaining things, and that's a subject that can get you shaking your head like an etch-a-sketch!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Bodhivaka said:

As I understand it, all "objects" are empty of self. Take a cake for example -- it seems like a single, static object, but in reality it true existence can be reduced to something much different.

Cakes are a combinations of eggs, milk, batter, frosting, etc. Do these components comprise the cake's true existence? No, we can reduce it further.

Is it ever a cake from its side? Perhaps experiencing the truth of the shapes and colors we distinguish as a cake has nothing to do with dicing it up, rather recognizing the cake is in our mind and was only ever in our mind. When we give up trying to make it a cake or a bundle of atoms or an expression of truth...
    Shigo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, I'm glad you all settled that!
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • BodhivakaBodhivaka Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Is it ever a cake from its side? Perhaps experiencing the truth of the shapes and colors we distinguish as a cake has nothing to do with dicing it up, rather recognizing the cake is in our mind and was only ever in our mind. When we give up trying to make it a cake or a bundle of atoms or an expression of truth...
    So it's true what they say. The cake is a lie :p

In all seriousness though, it doesn't matter what we call an object, which side we lay it on, or how we perceive it in general. The fact of the matter is that the object must be one of the following:

A) The true, irreducible nature of existence,
    B) A manifestation of the true, irreducible nature of existence,
    C) An illusion produced and perceived by the subjective perception of an entity which is itself either the true, irreducible nature of existence or a manifestation of it.

An example of A might be an elementary sub-atomic particle, which according to current scientific understanding is irreducible; however, it was once thought that atoms were irreducible. In fact, the word "atom" actually derives from the Greek word "atomos," meaning "uncuttable."

An example of B would be something that's existence could be reduced until the true, irreducible nature of existence is realized, such as a brick.

An example of C would be a mirage, which is ontologically subjective, and therefore doesn't exist in reality apart from the subjective perception of that which perceives it.

To say that a cake is "in our mind and was only ever in our mind" seems to suggest that a cake could be categorized as the C type; however, I would assert that cakes fall into the B category. The difference is that cakes can actually be reduced to the true, irreducible nature of existence (and are therefore ultimately grounded in reality), while mirages (in and of themselves) cannot be reduced, as they never actually existed in reality to begin with -- they truly are "only in our minds."

However, if you simply mean to say that the cake is empty of self -- that there is no true essense of "cake-ness," then I agree. Cake does not exist as a single, static, or ultimate object; rather, cake is a combination of several distinct objects, which themselves can be further reduced to other distinct objects, and this process can continue until you reach the true, irreducible nature of existence -- the very foundation upon which "reality" is built.
    ShigoKundo
  • from a scientific point of view, it can be argued
    that nothing exist except vibrations.

also, what exists before the big bang?
    nothing?
    betaboy said:

In advaita, they often give the following example: an object exists, then it is destroyed. But existence always is - and therefore this existence is the truth. Note it is not the existence of this or that object, BUT THE FACT OF EXISTENCE itself.

Shigo
    edited July 2013
    nothing?
    To my knowledge, a common misconception surrounding the big bang theory is that it attempts to explain the origin of the universe -- it doesn't. The big bang theory, without getting too detailed, simply states that our universe once existed in an extremely hot, dense state known as a singularity, and from that point began to expand. It's perfectly possible that the universe is eternal.

Personally I don't take a stance on whether or not the universe is eternal, but it is a possibility as far as I understand.
    Shigo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    hermitwin said:

nothing?

What's your point here?

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    Bodhivaka said:

However, if you simply mean to say that the cake is empty of self -- that there is no true essense of "cake-ness," then I agree. Cake does not exist as a single, static, or ultimate object; rather, cake is a combination of several distinct objects, which themselves can be further reduced to other distinct objects, and this process can continue until you reach the true, irreducible nature of existence -- the very foundation upon which "reality" is built.

This reminds me of someone looking for a flashlight in a lit room with their eyes closed because it seems dark. Each "distinct object" that the cake is reduced to is just another mental formation. Said differently, we can accept that lack of cake-ness, but not the lack of -ness. So we keep trying to pull apart the emptiness until we find something to stick that -ness on. Conceptual spinning. When we stop doing that, we realize it was always as close to being cake as it ever was to being not cake.
    Shigopersonrobot
  • Awesome stuff here guys. Im really enjoying reading everyones comments.
    edited July 2013
    aMatt said:

This reminds me of someone looking for a flashlight in a lit room with their eyes closed because it seems dark. Each "distinct object" that the cake is reduced to is just another mental formation. Said differently, we can accept that lack of cake-ness, but not the lack of -ness. So we keep trying to pull apart the emptiness until we find some to stick that -ness on.

In my opinion, you need some kind of irreducible entity or entities possessive of "-ness" upon which all perceived and non-perceived reality is both built and exists, otherwise you run into the problem of infinite regression.

Now it could be argued that "reality" as we perceive it is nothing but an illusion, but from that it could only logically follow that there would be some kind of "true reality" that caused the illusion (for illusions cannot exist on their own without something to create and/or perceive them); this concept can be found in Plato's "Allegory of the Cave."

My logic here can be expressed thusly:

1. Objects can be perceived,
    2. That which we perceive can be reduced,
    3. That which can be reduced must be built upon something irreducible, else you run into the problem of infinite regression,
    4. That which cannot be reduced is possesive of "-ness," as it exists independently in and of itself,
    5. Therefore, some form of reality exists, whether we perceive its true nature or not.

That's my view of reality, anway.
    Shigo
  • @Bodhivaka
    out of curiosity are you of the theravada tradition? (I Was curious based off your user name, sounds like the pali language?)
  • Shigo said:

@Bodhivaka
    out of curiosity are you of the theravada tradition? (I Was curious based off your user name, sounds like the pali language?)

I tend to identify myself as a Theravadin, yes, but the truth of the matter is that my views actually fall somewhere in between Theravada and Secular Buddhism.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The cake is form skhanda and it is not ourself. Nothing outside is the self. Perhaps inside the outside forms etc is a self, but you need a teacher to give pointing out instructions to find.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Bodhivaka said:

aMatt said:

This reminds me of someone looking for a flashlight in a lit room with their eyes closed because it seems dark. Each "distinct object" that the cake is reduced to is just another mental formation. Said differently, we can accept that lack of cake-ness, but not the lack of -ness. So we keep trying to pull apart the emptiness until we find some to stick that -ness on.

In my opinion, you need some kind of irreducible entity or entities possessive of "-ness" upon which all perceived and non-perceived reality is both built and exists, otherwise you run into the problem of infinite regression.

Now it could be argued that "reality" as we perceive it is nothing but an illusion, but from that it could only logically follow that there would be some kind of "true reality" that caused the illusion (for illusions cannot exist on their own without something to create and/or perceive them); this concept can be found in Plato's "Allegory of the Cave."

3. That which can be reduced must be built upon something irreducible, else you run into the problem of infinite regression,
    4. That which cannot be reduced is possesive of "-ness," as it exists independently in and of itself,
    5. Therefore, some form of reality exists, whether we perceive its true nature or not.

There is perception but it is dependently originated with the objects. And based on the heart sutra objects (eye ear nose) etc are empty and from the perspective of seeking them as objects they are not there.
    edited July 2013
    Jeffrey said:

Bodhivaka said:

aMatt said:

There is perception but it is dependently originated with the objects. And based on the heart sutra objects (eye ear nose) etc are empty and from the perspective of seeking them as objects they are not there.
    We are in agreement on that matter.
    @Bodhivaka You've thought out your arguments well and my understanding of the matter isn't sufficient to debate them point by point. I will simply point out that in the philosophy of emptiness Nagarjuna has rejected all 4 possible modes of existence, that things exist, that things don't exist, that things both exist and don't exist and that things neither exist nor don't exist.

My limited understanding says your position may be what was held by an early Buddhist school known as Sarvastivada.
    Early Buddhist philosophers and exegetes of the Sarvāstivādins created a pluralist metaphysical and phenomenological system, in which all experiences of people, things and events can be broken down into smaller and smaller perceptual or perceptual-ontological units called "dharmas".
    I'd say you give some good thought to the topic, but there have been others who have done likewise and have come to a different conclusion.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Bodhivaka said:

Eggs, milk, batter, and frosting are all comprised of molecules. Let's reduce it further. Molecules are composed of atoms. Atoms are composed of sub-atomic particles. Continue to reduce the objects and eventually you will arrive at the true nature of reality -- the true essense of existence that gives rise to all objects.

Once you realize this existence, you can realize that the cake is only one form true existence can adopt. Destroy the cake by eating it, smashing it, burning it or what have you, and all you have done is destroyed a manifestation of true existence, but true existence itself remains.

In short, objects exist as a manifestation of the true nature of reality and existence, you can destroy and alter those manifestations, but the true nature of reality and existence will always remain.

But what does that mean? What do those words mean? What is "true existence", then? The cake does exist. What it's made of is irrelevant. There's a cake there, we can touch it, it's not just in our minds. And it gets sliced and eaten. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts--it's no longer eggs, milk/butter, sugar and flour. It undergoes a transformation and becomes a cake. How does it help us understand anything by breaking it down, and labeling it with words--"true existence", if those words have no meaning to us? What is "true existence"?

If the speeding car is heading right for us, why would be bother to get out of the way if it doesn't really exist, and exists only in our minds? Clearly it exists, we exist, and the hospital we'd be taken to an an ambulance if we didn't get out of the way also exists.

:confused:

JeffreypersonMaryAnne
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dakini, excellent post. I think one way to look at it is to say that cake is an experience of our senses and our mind. It is impermanent (duh), suffering a bit (hello bathroom scale,, hello you have gained 5 pounds :eek: ), and non-self.

The last bit is like you say, the sum is greater than the whole of the parts. Cake is a compound existence.... dump some vinegar on it and it's gone.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I'm sorry, you guys, but sometimes I think that the Buddhists (is this mainly a Mahayana thing?) spent too much time in their heads, and not enough time in the real world, helping real people. Teaching people that a cake is nothing more than its components isn't going to help alleviate suffering. Teaching people not to get attached to their identities (or their cakes ;) ), and that their identity ("self") is in their minds, and that they're free to be anything they want to be, and can evolve and be happy, is more useful. imho
    MaryAnne
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Again, people have missed the mark. I am not talkign about the existence of objects at all, so the question "what existed before big bang" is irrelevant. Objects may or may not exist - existence per se is what I am talking about.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    betaboy said:

Again, people have missed the mark. I am not talkign about the existence of objects at all, so the question "what existed before big bang" is irrelevant. Objects may or may not exist - existence per se is what I am talking about.

Well, you mentioned how Buddhism views existence, and that's what got this tangent started. It opened a Pandora's Box, haha, but this is an important component of Buddhism.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Dakini, the problem arises when attached or averse to a cake. If something such as a cake causes stress. There are four mindfulnesses that help us to attain peace: observation of forms, observation of feelings, observation of cittas (moods?), and observation of dharmas (things such as a cake). We see that these are arising and disappearing. Doesn't that sound like meditation?

The trick isn't to figure out if a cake exists. The trick is to let go of assumptions such as time and observer/observed that do NOT exist.

For anyone wanting to follow up on this there is a very authentic short and concise book at an entry level to emptiness. It is so authentic that the pages start from the right and go back to the left! It is called Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness, by Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoche. Don't knock prajna paramita until you try it.
    Dakini
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    betaboy said:

I find SN 12.15 to be rather profound and quite on the mark myself.
    Jeffrey
    betaboy said:

Are you kind of asking why is there something instead of nothing?

I remember HHDL answering this once or twice and he simply said that all we can say is that is the way it is. I guess he means something like why are things impermanent, well that's just the nature of reality.

I don't know if that's what you're asking and I'm sure that answer isn't very satisfying but that's all I got as far as a Buddhist answer.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Bodhivaka said:

Yes, your argument displays your view well! Your mind seems philosophically attuned, and examines the bricks of the road succinctly. I accept the rationale of your conclusions, and accept that they are justly built upon the law of excluded middle, which is such a classic law of thought. A thing either is or is not. There is no middle... the mind doesn't like it when there is a groundless middle, where it neither "is" nor "is not" because thoughts have nowhere to stick.

If I were of your view, I would take #3 in your list into insight meditation and see what happens.

With warmth,
    Matt
    riverflowperson
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dakini said:

I'm sorry, you guys, but sometimes I think that the Buddhists (is this mainly a Mahayana thing?) spent too much time in their heads, and not enough time in the real world, helping real people. Teaching people that a cake is nothing more than its components isn't going to help alleviate suffering. Teaching people not to get attached to their identities (or their cakes ;) ), and that their identity ("self") is in their minds, and that they're free to be anything they want to be, and can evolve and be happy, is more useful. imho

Theravadans also spend a lot of time understanding the 12 links such as craving, birth, and death. The Mahayanist, Nagarjuna, took that philosophy further and now there is subsequently developed philosophy in the Tibetan schools today.

The reason sanghas don't invest more energy in social activism is that they say people can do that on their own separate from the sangha's dharma teachings. Some also say "you can't fix samsara" which means escaping samsara is where the effort goes rather than trying to fix samsara. It's like being worried about making a good dinner while your house is burning down.
    personSile
    edited July 2013
    Dakini said:

Bodhivaka said:

But what does that mean? What do those words mean? What is "true existence", then? The cake does exist. What it's made of is irrelevant. There's a cake there, we can touch it, it's not just in our minds. And it gets sliced and eaten. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts--it's no longer eggs, milk/butter, sugar and flour. It undergoes a transformation and becomes a cake. How does it help us understand anything by breaking it down, and labeling it with words--"true existence", if those words have no meaning to us? What is "true existence"?
    @Dakini, perhaps you've misunderstood me. I'm not denying that a cake actually exists, I'm just saying that the cake is empty of "self," there is no independent, irreducible entity or substance which exists as the essense of "cake-ness;" rather, cake is simply a form that true, irreducible reality can create.

By "true" existence, I simply mean reality as it really is. Human perception interprets reality into things it isn't. Take colors for example. Colors don't actually exist in objective reality, they are simply the brain's subjective interpretation of wavelengths of light. You can't realize color for what it really is until you reduce it to its most fundamental and irreducible part or parts and examine it for what it is in entirety. The same is true of cake and everything else.
    Dakini said:

Bodhivaka said:

If the speeding car is heading right for us, why would be bother to get out of the way if it doesn't really exist, and exists only in our minds? Clearly it exists, we exist, and the hospital we'd be taken to an an ambulance if we didn't get out of the way also exists.
    So again, I'm not saying cars or human bodies don't exist as a particular combination of atoms, molocules, cells (etc) manipulated in such a way as to produce what we call a human or a car, I'm simply saying that such things lack a "self" because they are both reducible and dependent on other distinct entities, thus lacking any independent, irreducible entity which can truly be called "me" or "I." Once you reduce any object you can realize it's emptiness of self and see it for what it really is.

That or I've just spent too much time in my own head and gone crazy.

edited July 2013
    person said:

@Bodhivaka You've thought out your arguments well and my understanding of the matter isn't sufficient to debate them point by point. I will simply point out that in the philosophy of emptiness Nagarjuna has rejected all 4 possible modes of existence, that things exist, that things don't exist, that things both exist and don't exist and that things neither exist nor don't exist.

My limited understanding says your position may be what was held by an early Buddhist school known as Sarvastivada.

Early Buddhist philosophers and exegetes of the Sarvāstivādins created a pluralist metaphysical and phenomenological system, in which all experiences of people, things and events can be broken down into smaller and smaller perceptual or perceptual-ontological units called "dharmas".
    I'd say you give some good thought to the topic, but there have been others who have done likewise and have come to a different conclusion.

No, I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I shall not suffer my infallibility to be the questioned.

Haha, just kidding of course. I realize there are other views that have been reached by people much more qualified, well-read, and intelligent than myself, and I respect their opinions. I always try to keep an open mind.
    personKundo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @Bodhivaka It doesn't make sense to me to say an object lacks a "self". Of course it lacks a self, it's just an inanimate thing. And what do you mean by: "the cake is simply a form that true, irreducible reality can create"? What is that thing you're calling "irreducible reality" that goes around creating cakes and cars, and everything else? :scratch:

I asked Stephen Batchelor about the deconstruction of "self" with regard to humans. And he said that's an incorrect teaching. It's about non-attachment to self, and realizing that "self" is always evolving, always changing. Maybe that's just a different way of saying more or less the same thing, but it makes more sense to me that way. I don't see the point in deconstructing anything and everything into minute constituent parts. I don't understand what that's supposed to do for us.
  • Dakini said:

@Bodhivaka It doesn't make sense to me to say an object lacks a "self". Of course it lacks a self, it's just an inanimate thing. And what do you mean by: "the cake is simply a form that true, irreducible reality can create"? What is that thing you're calling "irreducible reality" that goes around creating cakes and cars, and everything else? :scratch:

I asked Stephen Batchelor about the deconstruction of "self" with regard to humans. And he said that's an incorrect teaching. It's about non-attachment to self, and realizing that "self" is always evolving, always changing. Maybe that's just a different way of saying more or less the same thing, but it makes more sense to me that way. I don't see the point in deconstructing anything and everything into minute constituent parts. I don't understand what that's supposed to do for us.

I recommend researching mereological nihilism, as that's essentially the view I'm advocating. The simplest way I can convey what I'm attempting to communicate is "there exists no fundamental entity that is a 'cake,' but merely atoms arranged cake-wise." Therefore, a cake is simply a manifestation of true reality. If you could see reality as it really was you would not see a cake, you'd simply see the most fundamental particles of existence arranged in particular manner -- true, irreducible reality.

Although I respect Stephen Bachelors views, I disagree with them. Whereas Bachelor asserts that the self is a continually changing and evolving entity, I assert that there was never a self to change and evolve in the first place (which I have attempted to explain here: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/19167/have-i-realized-anatta#latest).

If you look up mereological nihilism you'll probably be able to find someone who can explain it much more eloquently and succinctly than I.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Thanks, I appreciate your patience, @Bodhivaka. Your explanation was definitely sounding like quantum physics, and I asked a lama about that once. I asked, do you mean, how the object we see as a table is really just a collection of atoms and energy? And he said, no, that's wrong, that's not what it's about.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look tomorrow. It's late now. ZZZzzzz G'night.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Just some observations, some of which have already been noted.

Nagarjuna is clear - nothing really exists.

Yet Nibbana is a phenomenon according to the Abhidharma. It can only be given a negative classification (neti, neti, etc). But, crucially for this discussion, it would be a phenomenon. It is just that it cannot be correctly said to exist or not-exist. These would be partial views thus incorrect.

This does not cause a problem for Aristotle's tertium non datur rule, as has been suggested earlier, because in this case 'exist' and 'not-exist' would not be a true contradiction. For a true contradiction one side of the contradiction must be true and the other false. So when, say, Heraclitus states that we both exist and do not exist, this is not a breach of Aristotles's laws of thought, since he is not suggesting that one of these views is true and the other false, but that the truth is not captured by either view.

This is why the Middle Way doctrine, Lao Tsu's doctrine and nondualism more generally does not require a modification to Aristotles' logic. It took me years to figure this out, and it required checking back with Aristotle's provisos to his rules. It is the failure to check these provisos that led Heisenberg to say that QM required a modification to A's rules. But Aristotle covered all the bases. QM requires no modifications to his logic, and nor does Middle Way Buddhism. It is not a coincidence, I believe, that both QM and nondualism require a logic of contradictory complementary. It is just the nature of Nature and the way we have to describe it. Aristotle's rules allow for such a logic without modification.

This is a hobby-horse for me, since it took me a lot of work to reconcile Buddhist doctrine with classical logic. For years I assumed it could not be done. Then I stumbled on Aristotle's De Interpretatione, where he discusses the implementation of his laws of thought.

So existence and non-existence must be treated as an emergent distinction. There would be an ultimate phenomenon that grounds existence, preventing an infinite regress, but it could not be said to exist or not-exist. It would be unmanifest. Being would emerge from non-being. This is explained by George Spencer Brown in his book Laws of Form, where he presents a mathematical model of Taoist cosmogenesis. It may be an interesting read for any mathematically-minded Buddhists. Brown also suggests that Aristotle's laws must be modified for the doctrine of dependent origination. He is wrong, but it is a very common mistake.

I spoke to Brown once and he told me that he is a buddha. He was a colleague of Bertrand Russell and a friend of Wei Wu Wei. A fascinating person. Worth a google.

So, going back to the OP, it is not clear to me that existence is a fact apart from the apparent existence of particular existents. Take them away and no existence is left over.

In western philosophy this is the 'problem of attributes'. Take way all the contingent attributes of an object and what is left over? It is an unsolved paradox. This is because western academic philosophy refuses to accept the Buddha's solution. After all, Buddhist doctrine is obviously irrational nonsense. Almost everybody in this tradition knows this.

Sile
  • BlondelBlondel Veteran
    Florian said:

In western philosophy this is the 'problem of attributes'. Take way all the contingent attributes of an object and what is left over? It is an unsolved paradox. This is because western academic philosophy refuses to accept the Buddha's solution. After all, Buddhist doctrine is obviously irrational nonsense. Almost everybody in this tradition knows this.

Well, what is left is absolute substance or essence which is not an attribute. The Buddhist solution is not far from Spinoza's. Spinoza demonstrates the necessary existence of a substance which has an infinity of attributes. Siddhartha awakened to this substance which is pure mind. Other than this absolute mind or the one-mind there is no other substance. Sweet!

riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Part of a dharma talk I transcribed:
    Using conceptual to make a point.. quite often in the text I noticed trying to prevent people going down the route thinking ‘oh yeah it’s beyond concepts...therefore concepts are bad and
    the more I blank my mind out the better, the more Buddhist I am as it were.’

The word concept in English has different levels of meaning. If you were to say.. In order to speak at all really to communicate at all you have to be able to recognize who you are talking to and you have to recognize the five certainties the time and place and the taught and the teacher. So there has to be in itself that kind of being able to recognize the structure of the mandala. You might say, well that involves concepts in which case you’d have to say concepts of that kind are not a problem. Even being able to recognize anything at all is not a problem is it? It’s really curious if you look at something say your hand and you have a concept of hand and you have an experience of your hand. And then you think yes that is a hand because it fits my concept of a hand so that is a very solid idea of the hand and then you can make the logical arguments about which bit of it is the hand and how big or small is it and what are the parts and you can analyze it all the way. So that’s a very clever type of using concepts. Which is using them to good effect so there is no problem with concepts in that sense.
    CHECKED
    36:45

And then you realize there is something about the way I am grasping at that hand as real that isn’t how it really is but that doesn’t stop my knowing that that’s the hand I am talking about.
    I still have a referant(spelling??). I still know what I am talking about. I’m talking about this very hand and that it can’t be grasped. So the problem is when I grasp that as ‘hand’ and me as me and it’s my hand and, you know, if that gets cut off that’s like really really bad and the source of all suffering. That’s kind of like where the concepts are starting to become problematic.
    CHECKED
    37:37

But until that point then there’s no problem in being able to recognize ‘that’s my hand’ and it didn’t just appear out of space over there. That it actually fits together with the rest of my body and I could use it to practice generosity or to show people the way or whatever. What’s interesting is how far you can go with dropping the prapancha and still be able to operate. And I noticed in the text at one point I (it?) was saying something that I am not sure is quite true actually.

Yeah on page fifty two or near there. That perception of thought can work without prapancha. I remembered Rigdzin Shikpo said to me that Trungpa Rinpoche would say even perception was prapancha... was what he called unnecessary complication. Which, then your mind boggles and you think to yourself ‘so what the hell is the Buddha doing then?’ Because the Buddha is appearing to be able to function and recognize things and talk and make distinctions. But if he is without any prapancha then presumably the way that he is experiencing that is totally different from the way we would experience it in our prapancha mode which then comes back to what we are talking about here, the structured nature of that living truth.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Florian said:

Yet Nibbana is a phenomenon according to the Abhidharma. It can only be given a negative classification (neti, neti, etc). But, crucially for this discussion, it would be a phenomenon. It is just that it cannot be correctly said to exist or not-exist. These would be partial views thus incorrect.

This does not cause a problem for Aristotle's tertium non datur rule, as has been suggested earlier, because in this case 'exist' and 'not-exist' would not be a true contradiction. For a true contradiction one side of the contradiction must be true and the other false. So when, say, Heraclitus states that we both exist and do not exist, this is not a breach of Aristotles's laws of thought, since he is not suggesting that one of these views is true and the other false, but that the truth is not captured by either view.

This is why the Middle Way doctrine, Lao Tsu's doctrine and nondualism more generally does not require a modification to Aristotles' logic. It took me years to figure this out, and it required checking back with Aristotle's provisos to his rules. It is the failure to check these provisos that led Heisenberg to say that QM required a modification to A's rules. But Aristotle covered all the bases. QM requires no modifications to his logic, and nor does Middle Way Buddhism. It is not a coincidence, I believe, that both QM and nondualism require a logic of contradictory complementary. It is just the nature of Nature and the way we have to describe it. Aristotle's rules allow for such a logic without modification.

This is a hobby-horse for me, since it took me a lot of work to reconcile Buddhist doctrine with classical logic. For years I assumed it could not be done. Then I stumbled on Aristotle's De Interpretatione, where he discusses the implementation of his laws of thought.

So existence and non-existence must be treated as an emergent distinction. There would be an ultimate phenomenon that grounds existence, preventing an infinite regress, but it could not be said to exist or not-exist. It would be unmanifest. Being would emerge from non-being. This is explained by George Spencer Brown in his book Laws of Form, where he presents a mathematical model of Taoist cosmogenesis. It may be an interesting read for any mathematically-minded Buddhists. Brown also suggests that Aristotle's laws must be modified for the doctrine of dependent origination. He is wrong, but it is a very common mistake.

I spoke to Brown once and he told me that he is a buddha. He was a colleague of Bertrand Russell and a friend of Wei Wu Wei. A fascinating person. Worth a google.

So, going back to the OP, it is not clear to me that existence is a fact apart from the apparent existence of particular existents. Take them away and no existence is left over.

:wow:
  • SileSile Veteran
    Florian said:

Is this equivalent to "he has stopped eating jello/he hasn't stopped eating jello," i.e. the truth is not captured by either view (for someone who's never eaten jello)? It's not true contradiction?

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2013
    What is a bell? Does a bell exist in the "real" world? Can an ultimate reality be known?

""'The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. 'The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the third sextet.

"'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. 'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the fourth sextet.

Chachakka Sutta
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html
    riverflow