Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Buddhism deny the vernacular common idea of Soul?

So my soul might have to do with my conscience? People in the west must be pointing to something in reality? Otherwise why wouldn't they have realized there is no soul after all of these years? Could Sila (morality) be an emmanation of the soul?
I haven't fleshed this out much. Couldn't Soul have to do with sharing?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

The Zen Buddhist answer is
    Anatta!
  • That strangely clears that one up!
    riverflow
  • robotrobot Veteran
    How can I have a soul? If I am a temporary arrangement thoughts and feelings and matter, how can I possess something that is more permanent or real than that?
  • robot I translated soul as desire and the after effects of desire.
    S - same
    O - it
    U - mine
    L - deal wid it
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

robot I translated soul as desire and the after effects of desire.
    S - same
    O - it
    U - mine
    L - deal wid it

Wha?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I think I am high on mysupply. Can u understand? nevermind, I'm nuts. Seriously.
    personTosh
  • anatta, get it before it's gone. trademark.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

So my soul might have to do with my conscience? People in the west must be pointing to something in reality? Otherwise why wouldn't they have realized there is no soul after all of these years? Could Sila (morality) be an emmanation of the soul?

Tragically, yeah.

Coincidentally, I just finished reading a book about sociopaths. It is estimated that about 4% of the population are sociopaths. A sociopath is essentially someone that does not possess a conscience. They have no real sense of responsibility for others, which is what morality and love is all about. People are just things to be used.

Now there's the apparent fact that there are sociopathic Buddhist teachers ( http://www.shimanoarchive.com/index.html ), people who have proved realization of annata. So where does that leave us but with the tragic conclusion that you are right?
  • Jeffrey said:

This is highly debatable. Mahayana Buddhism posits the existence of the True Self, or Buddhanature, that is realized after all the defilements and illusions are shed, and that continues to exist after corporal death. That definitely would relate to morality. Whether or not it could be called a "soul" is a hot-potato topic. ;)
    Jeffrey
  • I didn't understand @nevermind. What I understood is that some people don't care about others, right? So some Buddhist teachers don't care about others? How did they rise through the ranks? Don't higher yogis correct lower ones? My teachers teachers name means scholar ocean ethics/duty teacher. I can see how it would happen though, but not why they would be approved by their teacher. And I know all the cases like Shunryu Suzukis heir and Trungpas heir. I don't understand how they could get approved.
    Sociopaths are virtually undetectable. They can be very charismatic.

To put it bluntly, they fit right in to a religion of that doesn't believe in a soul.
  • I'll have to think that one over. Would you say that they don't fit in a religion with a soul? Is it because of group think?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Dakini

Perhaps this is up with how many angles can dance on the head of a pin
    or the reason I'm not a Tibetan Buddhist but...

where do you get that the true self or Buddha nature is in anyway more particular to an individual than to everything else?

&

I don't also get how this has anything to do with empathy or morality?
  • :bawl: The problem of evil as in philosophy
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, no holy and no evil. Just a metaphorical is even.
    Jeffrey said:

Would you say that they don't fit in a religion with a soul?

No doubt some can and have, maybe just not as easily.
    Is it because of groupthink?
    A sociopath will use all sorts of methods to manipulate people, without conscience.
  • For me the soul isn't an entity,

but rather a stream of experiencing.

I relate to back to art and the process of making art as it imitates and reflects what reality is to us.

When we make art without self-conscious it is totally done without remainder. There is no time, there is no artist, there is no art, its the universe doing the art as the art.

So life or the soul is like that. An action that we try to capture but we only find shadows, glances, scents, and we gather those scents and create gestalts that don't really exist.

So when we find that lack or what anatta points to we only find flux and a flux so fluxing that there isn't anything to be fluxing, but it just like a fractal. Total movement, total absence.

So that is what the soul is, it is a stream, an action. This is what karma is. Karma is action. Action that is never segregated from all time and space, all things interpenetrating, total absence of identity, yet maintained through the dynamic interweaving of apparent causes and conditions.

But in both cases the soul as an entity or the soul as an action are merely symbolic metaphors, conventions. We don't deny conventions because to do so would be to err in side with Nihilism. And we don't say that there is actually something real or unreal there because then that would be to err on the side of Eternalism.

The middle way, which isn't really a middle way because its not like one can land anywhere other than what we want, what we conceive of. To conceive is directly linked to the perception.

TLDR:

Buddhism denies the inherent self,

Buddhism denies the lack of inherent self as well.

The Middle Way is the dependent self, as a flux, a dynamic wave of change, that has no landing whatsoever.
    riverflowDaivaJeffreyStraight_Man
    I hate double negatives.
  • Jeffrey said:

Otherwise why wouldn't they have realized there is no soul after all of these years?

I can only answer that question. It's because people can't imagine not existing, it's literally impossible, you can contemplate non-existence but you can't experience it. In life we see things come from somewhere and go somewhere else, babies come into the world so they must have come from somewhere, and following it through to the logical conclusion when that person dies they must go somewhere else. The concept that a human is a process, a complex biochemical reaction that had a beginning and will have an end is difficult to grasp, people see themselves as a single, whole, complete entity.

riverflowzenffJeffrey
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Nevermind said:

I hate double negatives.

Try to abandon your hate of double negatives.
    Try to abandon your non-hate of double negatives as well.
    :rolleyes:
    misterCope
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The common idea of a soul?
    I think a number of (vague) ideas are covered by the word “soul”.
    Buddhist denial of “soul” must be understood as a reaction to the Hindu notion of atman (a divine true self which is identical to the Self or the Absolute).
    And then parts of Buddhist doctrine appear to take the denial back when they teach “the identity of relative and absolute” or “Buddha-nature”; whatever those teachings mean.

I can still use the word soul and refer to my deepest emotions. Or it may just refer to the ungraspable level of what I really am; what life rally is. We can say there is no soul or we can say there is nothing else than soul. We could be pointing at the same truth and use contradicting words for it.
    Jeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The only idea of soul that makes sense to me would be one we all share.

Dandelion
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ourself said:

It might appeal to you but it is not a concept found in Buddhism.

• Dakini said:

This is highly debatable. Mahayana Buddhism posits the existence of the True Self, or Buddhanature, that is realized after all the defilements and illusions are shed, and that continues to exist after corporal death. That definitely would relate to morality. Whether or not it could be called a "soul" is a hot-potato topic. ;)

^ This. Soul seems to be a convenient catch-all term co-opted for everyday use from ancient Egyptian, Abrahamic, Greek and Roman theology. It seems somewhat more complicated in eastern thought.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

Its an absolutely cold potato topic.
    ' The idea of Tathagata - Gharba ' ( Badly translated as Buddha Nature ) must be seperated from western ideas of ' soul'. It is actually the union of Emptiness and Wisdom. '

Thrangu Rinpoche.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Citta said:

ourself said:

It might appeal to you but it is not a concept found in Buddhism.

It was the Buddhist process that led me to the idea. Separation is the illusion so what is it that is not separate?

Citta said:

Dakini said:

Jeffrey said:

Its an absolutely cold potato topic.
    ' The idea of Tathagata - Gharba ' ( Badly translated as Buddha Nature ) must be seperated from western ideas of ' soul'. It is actually the union of Emptiness and Wisdom. '

Thrangu Rinpoche.
    It is quite the generalization, this "western" idea of a soul. Please enlighten me as to what it is the western person thinks a soul is?

What is it that the far superior "eastern" believes is empty and wise?

• Jeffrey said:

You can't hold soul, can you? You can't see it too, can you? Soul, probably is just an idea. You can either believe in it or not. Does it matter?
    Jeffrey
  • DaivaDaiva Veteran
    There is more than just the Eastern and Western perspective of soul, in fact one that predates these represented by native americans. Just for the sake of a different perspective, for example, the Sioux, believe humans are comprised of fours souls: niya (or woniya), nagi, nagila, and the sicun. The niya, or “life breath” is what ties us to this life—it is our very breath. The nagi, is what one stereotypically defines as “ghost,” representing the personality of the individual, and when separated from its body, it could become malevolent. The nagila is referred to as the “little ghost.” From a quantum physics level, everything is in constant motion, in a state of flux. The nagila is that energy force common to all - or for Buddhists the "energy" of impermanence. The sicun is the sacred power one receives through interaction with the supernatural.
    For the Sioux, one’s personal spiritual goal is to achieve the awareness of the unity of the four souls. One must transcend the notion of the separation of the souls to discover the wholeness of all things. Morality is based on the acceptance, and actions in accordance of this notion.
    There seems to be some similarities to both Eastern and Westen thought, even if it is a little metaphoric. According to the Sioux, there is a soul, but it is everything, encompasses everything - so in a double negative way (I think), anatta is feasible (which I think, as @Dakini mentioned - relates to the hot potato issue in Buddhism).
    Jeffrey
  • Buddhism discourages the practitioner to conceptualize soul; discourages the conceptual structures that form as a result of holding an idea of what 'it' is. I think the best way to to look at this is: lay it all flat, elevate everything and anything, concepts included, as being inherently without characteristics (ie empty)...including existence or non existence of soul. It makes no sense for us as buddhists to try to sit there and say, 'there is or isn't a soul', as this is picking and choosing which objects get labels.
    riverflow
  • how said:

@Dakini

where do you get that the true self or Buddha nature is in anyway more particular to an individual than to everything else?

&

Not clear on what you mean by "more particular to an individual than to everything else". But according to various Mahayana sutras (not TB-specific), we all have Buddhanature, which is the potential to become a Buddha. If we reach that potential, then insofar as a Buddha or bodhisattva practices virtue and isn't governed by attachments in his behavior, morality naturally follows, as does empathy/compassion.

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited August 2013
    At the time of the Buddha some philosophers and meditators posited a "root": an abstract principle out of which all things emanated and which was immanent in all things. When asked about this, instead of following this pattern of thinking, the Buddha attacks it at its very root: the notion of a principle in the abstract, superimposed on experience. In contrast, a person in training should look for a different kind of "root" — the root of dukkha experienced in the present.
    riverflowJeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Dakini said:

how said:

@Dakini

&

Not clear on what you mean by "more particular to an individual than to everything else". But according to various Mahayana sutras (not TB-specific), we all have Buddhanature, which is the potential to become a Buddha. If we reach that potential, then insofar as a Buddha or bodhisattva practices virtue and isn't governed by attachments in his behavior, morality naturally follows, as does empathy/compassion.

@Dakini
    The worldly wish to believe that our identity continues beyond death has meant that some Buddhists co opt the concept of Buddhanature as evidence of that possibility.
    The expression of true self, as buddhanature, that continues unaffected by death, is mistakenly interpreted as that which is unique to our particular Skandha collection, or in other words a soul representative of this present unique identity.

I find that identifying buddhanature as our potential Buddhahood which universaly manifests free of our temporarily obscuring identities, as a clearer representation of anatta and gives less wiggle room for the delusive hope of ego everlasting..
    This is where I give Theravadins credit for simplistic clearity.

As a student of Zen, I am not even sure where the Mahayana teachings of buddhanature truely balance on the scale of what is helpful and what is a hindrance on the path towards the cessation of suffering.

My other question about "what has this to do with empathy or morality" was just about why a belief in a soul or not, in itself, would have any affect of one's empathy or morality.
    Whereas...
    (IMO) You were saying that the transcendence of self is the manifestation of morality/ empathy / compassion, which is true, but has little to do with the belief or disbelief in a soul.

Perhaps the problem of trying to guess how many angles can dance on the head of a pin is trying to determine the difference between a legitimate dance and it's lesser toe mash.
    riverflowCittakarmablues
  • Buddha nature helps see that the mistakes of self and other are not intrinsic to them. And confidence that underneath the 3 poisons are the 3 virtues and so forth.
  • how said:

@Dakini
    The worldly wish to believe that our identity continues beyond death has meant that some Buddhists co opt the concept of Buddhanature as evidence of that possibility.
    The expression of true self, as buddhanature, that continues unaffected by death, is mistakenly interpreted as that which is unique to our particular Skandha collection, or in other words a soul representative of this present unique identity.

I find that identifying buddhanature as our potential Buddhahood which universaly manifests free of our temporarily obscuring identities, as a clearer representation of anatta and gives less wiggle room for the delusive hope of ego everlasting..
    This is where I give Theravadins credit for simplistic clearity.

As a student of Zen, I am not even sure where the Mahayana teachings of buddhanature truely balance on the scale of what is helpful and what is a hindrance on the path towards the cessation of suffering.

My other question about "what has this to do with empathy or morality" was just about why a belief in a soul or not, in itself, would have any affect of one's empathy or morality.
    Whereas...
    (IMO) You were saying that the transcendence of self is the manifestation of morality/ empathy / compassion, which is true, but has little to do with the belief or disbelief in a soul.

Perhaps the problem of trying to guess how many angles can dance on the head of a pin is trying to determine the difference between a legitimate dance and it's lesser toe mash.

Great points. I did post earlier, that whether or not Buddhanature/True Self can be interpreted as a soul is a hot-potato topic. I think it's up for grabs. I'm sure experts could cite material to support both sides.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    No sorry, 'experts 'can't and don't..
    The idea that an individual possesses a ' portion ' of Buddhanature is Eternalism.
    And as such was identified by the Buddha as one of the two major blocks to understanding his Dharma The other being Annihilationism.
    An understanding of the concept of Buddha Nature requires a far more subtle approach.
    As Thrangu Rinpoch says it is the union of prajna..arising wisdom, and shunyata...voidness.
    This happens by transcending the idea of an individual attaining something.
    Sila 'morality ' is not a cause per se. It is an outcome of psychological integration.
    To really understand all of this needs states of absorption. It cannot be understood by comparing in to any pre-existing model we carry.
    riverflowtaiyaki
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

The idea that an individual possesses a ' portion ' of Buddhanature is Eternalism.
    And as such was identified by the Buddha as one of the two major blocks to understanding his Dharma The other being Annihilationism.
    An understanding of the concept of Buddha Nature requires a far more subtle approach.
    As Thrangu Rinpoch says it is the union of prajna..arising wisdom, and shunyata...voidness.
    Sila 'morality ' is not a cause per se. It is an outcome of psychological integration.
    To really understand all of this needs states of absorption. It cannot be understood by comparing in to any pre-existing model we carry.

It really depends on what one considers a soul to be.

As you rightly pointed out, eternalism (a permanent individual) is wrong view but so is annihilism (absolute destruction of the individual). The truth is somewhere in the middle and negates neither one or the other.

I've seen you talk of Thrangu Rinpoche saying Buddhanature is the union of arising wisdom and emptiness before but these are mere qualities. So what is it that is empty and wise?

Buddha nature is just what it sounds like... The potential for waking up.

No, I am not saying Buddha nature can be considered the soul because it is only a quality.

However, a soul could be considered (for some) to be that which is empty and wise.

• Buddha nature is awakened heart or citta. So when we are awake we are awake. And when we aren't we aren't. Subject to opinion? I guess so.
    @Jeffrey;

Wouldn't Buddha Nature simply be the potential for waking up?

• Ah yes. That's right. I was thinking of bodhicitta, sorry. That's the thing with just having mental rubrix explaining things. I was totally off. :o
  • Citta said:

This is what's so fascinating about the True Self/Buddhanature sutras! Supposedly the Buddha didn't teach eternalism, and yet, there are texts that discuss not only the True Self, but also that Buddhas reside forever after death in some kind of heaven or Pure Land, or whatever.

This is why some scholars dismiss the last teachings of the Buddha as later additions, and influences from Hinduism. I think it's for every Buddhist to decide for themselves whether they want to take those teachings at face value, or not.

• ourself said:

@Jeffrey;

Buddhanature is the potential for waking up (in Chinese, it's Buddha-womb, and also is translated as Buddha-seeds). When clarity is achieved and defilements fall away, the True Self is realized, which is a permanent state. (So, an apparent contradiction of the Buddha's teachings of impermanence). It's said that these teachings, which the Buddha gave before his death, represent the most advanced (i.e. supramundane) teachings, and therefore are not intended for novices, who are still working on assimilating the basics of the Dharma.

edited August 2013
    Dakini said:

ourself said:

@Jeffrey;

Buddhanature is the potential for waking up (in Chinese, it's Buddha-womb, and also is translated as Buddha-seeds). When clarity is achieved and defilements fall away, the True Self is realized, which is a permanent state. (So, an apparent contradiction of the Buddha's teachings of impermanence). It's said that these teachings, which the Buddha gave before his death, represent the most advanced (i.e. supramundane) teachings, and therefore are not intended for novices, who are still working on assimilating the basics of the Dharma.

I think this is why Nagarjuna spent so much time expounding on the teachings of the middle way between the two truths. Subjective truth being the nature of individuality and absolute truth being the nature of non-separation. We have to take care of the individual or it is no good to the whole.

Compassion arises from within so I ask again, if we cannot call it a soul, what is it that awakens?

taiyaki
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    ourself said:

Citta said:

It really depends on what one considers a soul to be.

As you rightly pointed out, eternalism (a permanent individual) is wrong view but so is annihilism (absolute destruction of the individual). The truth is somewhere in the middle and negates neither one or the other.

I've seen you talk of Thrangu Rinpoche saying Buddhanature is the union of arising wisdom and emptiness before but these are mere qualities. So what is it that is empty and wise?

Buddha nature is just what it sounds like... The potential for waking up.

No, I am not saying Buddha nature can be considered the soul because it is only a quality.

However, a soul could be considered (for some) to be that which is empty and wise.

Emptiness is not a quality.
    The reason that Prajna and Shunyata are always taught in tandem is to obviate the natural tendency that we have to see that which arises as having an owner.
    Prajna arises. Or more accurately Prajna is already the case.
    But Prajna has no home..a realised person has no more Prajna than anyone else.
    Prajna arises with, or within, Shunyata.

Form is Emptiness
    Emptiness is Form.

Therefore there is no subject/object.
    'Nothing to attain and no one to attain it.'
    riverflowJeffrey
    edited August 2013
    There is nothing to attain because it's all right here.

Emptiness does not mean nothingness and if emptiness was not a quality than nothing is empty.

However, "nothing" is just another illusion.
    edited August 2013
    @Citta, I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk that just wants to argue and challenge the more experienced (I'm only 22 years into my study/practice at 40)... I very much appreciate your input and time.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I did not see you as a jerk at all @ourself. I am still finding my stumbling way...these matters are tricky and subtle. In legend of course even the Buddha wondered if he could ever get them across to others. And we never take our 'L' plates off...

( Do American learner drivers have 'L' plates ? )
    Straight_Man
    edited August 2013
    Beats me, I'm Canadian... Plus I won't drive until I can afford an environment friendly ride.
  • Does Buddhism deny the vernacular common idea of Soul?
    I think it does, because most people in the west, particularly among many western Christians, tend to understand the soul as something immortal that they identify as being their true person despite the whole person comprising a body, soul, and spirit. There are many who also think that when referring to the person it is the transitory self-centered individual that is grounded in egoism.

Traditionally, the soul is considered the principle of life and a living intellectual essence which has a beginning, and because it has an origin it is not eternal or immortal. It arises simultaneously with the forming of the organic and sensory body which it gives to it the power of life and reception of sense-perceptions as long as the nature of which can receive these maintains its existence. All living things are referred to as a soul.

Having no color, shape, texture, weight, size, dimension, and spatial limitations it is not anything that can be comprehended by sense perception, and this leads some to conclude that it is nothing at all despite its immaterially. However, it can only be known through the higher faculty of the soul called the intellect or nous, and not by sight for instance.