Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any last minute advice?

misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
I've mentioned this here before, but people come and go and opinions change, so I thought I'd ask again since the time is fast approaching...

This coming Tuesday, I will be assembling a meditation group on my university campus. This is turning out to be quite a successful endeavor; the university has provided us with a room to use, which we are sharing with the Muslim community (who had nowhere to pray on campus before), and anyone else who'd like to use it.

So, my question is simply: any suggestions or advice? Especially for a first meeting?
VastmindEvenThird

Comments

• misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    That's really good advice about troublesome members. There are two people that will probably show up who are argumentative, especially with each other. I was previously the president of the Art Association on campus (which they were involved with) and I was never sure if I should give them separate tasks or make them work together.

As for the rest, I'm not interested in taking any real leadership role or anything like that. Ideally, we will be a group of equals who sit together, that is all.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Remember there are those who are well motivated...but whose minds will come up with any reason to postpone or shorten the actual meditation...
    People are often lonely or needy or restless. But their lonliness and need should be met as a side issue, and their restlessness should be pushed past firmly but gently.
    misterCopeWonderingSeeker
  • Invite the Muslim group to say a prayer to your success.
    Tell a story, one of my favourite:
    http://sillysutras.com/kalu-rinpoche-the-zen-master-and-the-orange/
    Start with walking meditation, most people find walking easier than sitting . . . strange but true . . .
    Might be of interest to hear what meditation others have done . . .
    Maybe play a youtube clip from a meditation master you admire . . .

Have fun.

misterCopemithrilBunks
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

Give the most troublesome member a role fairly early on.

No self respecting troublemaker would accept any responsibility, especially early. Give them room to make big mistake, then offer them redemption in the form of a responsible role.
  • No self respecting troublemaker would accept any responsibility, especially early
    and there was me thinking they were taking the class . . .
    :o

ah well, good luck to the responsible @misterCope :wave:
    Bunks
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Make sure someone know how to give a good instruction on the basics. :)
    Vastmindkarmablues
  • Be yourself.

Oh, and wear loose clothing.

Oh, and don't forget to breathe. Breathing is important.

VastmindmisterCope
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Good to hear!! It sounds like it's going to be nice!

Stay with it.....you'll be glad you did!
    Let us know, please! :)
    misterCopelobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

As for the rest, I'm not interested in taking any real leadership role or anything like that. Ideally, we will be a group of equals who sit together, that is all.

A leader will probably emerge - it's just a question of whether that person is right for the group.
    I'd suggest some early discussion to get clear about the purpose(s) of the group and what people want and expect. "Meditation" can mean all sorts of different things to different people.
    VastmindmisterCopeDandelion
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If it's a meditation group, how about meditating?
    Invincible_summermisterCopelobsterYishai

• ::: Throws herself at @MisterCope's feet, wrapping her arms around his ankles ::::

DON'T DO IT!!! NO!! DON'T!

Just kidding. (sort of) ;)
    misterCopehowWonderingSeekerYishai
    Yeah, I'll keep you all updated. I'm hopeful that @MaryAnne's fears will be assuaged. One thing she mentioned before, and @SpinyNorman just brought up, is which meditation we'll be doing. I'm thinking that initially (at least for the first few meetings) I'll stick with Vipassana. It seems like it would be the easiest for people to wrap their heads around, especially those who've never sat before. It also seems like the most laid back, so people might not get scared away.

As for leadership/instruction, I'm kicking around the idea of bringing a radio and playing meditation instruction on it...I don't know about that, though -- anybody have any thoughts on that?
  • I might start simple like counting on the inbreath 1 outbreath 2... all the way to 10 and start over if missing a beat. If more confident you could do a different method with more technique. I think counting can make the time go faster. You could also give a guided meditation by perhaps searching online for one.
  • I second being clear about what is important. That can be the center of the mandala of the group. The center could be 'equal sharing' though it will be hard to do that as a group or mandala usually has a person at the center. The periphery helps keep too much stress off of the center people or person.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    If this group needs someone to be the leader/ focal point/ organizer then the best person to do that will almost always be the one most consistently willing to let go of their ego/identity in that position.

Good organizational skills/ communication skills/ enthusiasm/ /charisma and Dharmic knowledge, pales compared to the example of how that person actually attends to the pressures of their own ego.

misterCopeVastmindInvincible_summer
  • Yes there are ego mandalas of each participant and the whole sangha needs to recognize when the ego mandala is taking over the values of the organization. The dharma could be a center also which would give tools for dealing with the ego mandala.

Ego is dynamic rather than a noun you have in your bucket. So right action/speech.
    Are you having snacks? :mullet:
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    :om: as a form of propulsion, yes
    Kundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @misterCope
    Is this a room where people will just come to meditate?
    Is it going to be the practicing of a specific form of meditation.
    Is it going to be affiliated with a Buddhist school or linage?

• As for leadership/instruction, I'm kicking around the idea of bringing a radio and playing meditation instruction on it...I don't know about that, though -- anybody have any thoughts on that?
    Where do I get one of those radios?
    http://sujato.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/running-a-meditation-group/
    misterCope
  • If you plan to use recordings, I suggest that you use a video recording rather than an audio recording because the former usually grabs people's attention more. Sometimes it's just easier for people to pay attention over longer periods of time when there's something to look at. Usually universities have equipment you can borrow such as projectors that you can hook up to your laptop.

Rather than focusing the first session on technique, I would suggest you focus on what are the practical benefits of meditation. This should give your group a sense of purpose and a motivation.

I think a good video that you could play is the one that @Jeffrey posted not long ago. It's the commencement speech by David Foster Wallace available at:
    http://www.upworthy.com/the-earth-shatteringly-amazing-speech-that-ll-change-the-way-you-think-about-adulthood-4

Then you can explain that meditation will give one the ability to have that awareness which David Wallace refers to.

Since you said you wanted to use the vipassana method for the group, I would suggest you go to youtube and enter the search words "Vipassana testimonials". This will bring up tons of videos where ordinary folk give brief testimonials about their experience with vipassana meditation. You could listen to some of them and bookmark the ones which you think will be beneficial for your group's first session and play them there.

You could also share your own experiences on the benefits of meditation and ask other people in the group who have practiced meditation to share theirs too.

Good luck and anumodana Sadhu! (rejoicing in your act of compassion)
    JeffreymisterCopelobster
  • I've mentioned this here before, but people come and go and opinions change, so I thought I'd ask again since the time is fast approaching...

This coming Tuesday, I will be assembling a meditation group on my university campus. This is turning out to be quite a successful endeavor; the university has provided us with a room to use, which we are sharing with the Muslim community (who had nowhere to pray on campus before), and anyone else who'd like to use it.

So, my question is simply: any suggestions or advice? Especially for a first meeting?

Be sensitive to the needs of your room mates.http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/johor-resort-ordered-to-demolish-surau
    @footiam, yikes! The Muslim community on campus is rather forward-thinking. Previously, they were praying in a teacher's eating area (which led to some awkward moments). The university decided to provide them with a small, quiet room to use for prayer. It was actually the Muslim students who came to me because they knew I wanted to start a meditation group. They offered to use the room jointly (not just letting me use it, but asking me for input on its' design). So, I don't foresee any objections like what's mentioned in that article.

@how, the room is always open and available for anybody to use it. Muslims pray at certain times, five time a day, so they will have it then. But anyone else can come and go as they please. The group I'm starting will meet at a certain time, but I'm hoping some of them decide to meditate on their own as well. It won't be affiliated with any school or lineage. The University stipulated that no religious paraphernalia be hung on the walls/displayed. (For instance, Muslims can't pray in a room with a Ganesha idol set up). It's basically just a quiet little room. Aside from starting of with Vipassana meditation, I don't have any specific types set in stone. A lot of the people involved seem interested in exploring different types.

@lobster, thank you for the link!

@karasti, I'm tagging you because I feel like you give really thoughtful advice and I'd love to know if you have any suggestions! :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2013
    It could be helpful to remember that it’s not very likely that everyone will get out of this what he expects and some will be disappointed or frustrated about that.
    That’s okay. You can’t please everyone.

We tried to have a very democratic and equal group one time. It was terrible. We had all sorts of disagreement. Do we sit in a circle or in a straight line? Is walking meditation done slowly or is it almost standing still? Does someone come up with a text or is it just sitting and shutting up? Will there be tea? When? How long? What tea? When you think about it there are hundreds of variables within the concept of a “meditation-group”.

My suggestion is; don’t fall into the trap of keeping all those variables open for discussion.
    Take the responsibility to make the most important decisions.

The best beginners-meditation (imho) is counting the breath. It is not too complicated to explain. Vipassana is okay too, but it stays -in the head – the way I see it. It could turn into something too intellectual.
    JeffreymisterCopeInvincible_summer
  • But anyone else can come and go as they please.
    Ah.
    You are starting a practice group.
    What about a handout e.g.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/meditation-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html
    Sounds like you have very little to do . . . if you manage to cut that down further but get regulars . . . should all work out nicely . . .
    misterCopeInvincible_summer
    @zenff, I know what you mean. There have already been a number of, let's call them outlandish, suggestions. One person is insistent on astral projection. I've decided that, while I don't want to be teacher at all, maybe I can be a subtle, gently guiding hand. Just to prevent the kind of situation you are talking about.

Thanks again, @lobster, I'm definitely going to use that!
    Are you going to screw the pooch?
    Of course you are.
    It's called practice.
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.
    Invincible_summerKundo
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, @genkaku. :orange: Just kidding, just kidding! I know I'll make mistakes!

My biggest worry is that I'll control the group too much. I'm often thrust into positions of authority as a student teacher, tutor, and president of a club on campus, so I'm used to taking up the reigns. I'd like very much to let go of my ego and have the group grow as a cohesive, organic unit. I don't mind being the cohesive, I'm just not looking to be the "leader," especially since I'm no expert on meditation!

@karmablues, thanks for the suggestions! I actually reposted that video on my Facebook. That's a good idea about discussing the benefits. I'll probably use most of the time the first day to do that and let everyone get to know each other a little bit.
    In writing -- an area that interests me -- there is an old saying: "Don't get it right, get it written."

The same is probably true for meditation, a pastime that bears more fruit in action than it does in the praise or criticism or explanation of it.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Side note: one of the people who turned up was a young lady from Japan. She identified herself as Buddhist and when I asked what kind, she shrugged and said, "just Buddhist." She also said that she had never tried to meditate before. Go figure!

Many Buddhists in East Asia are Pure Land Buddhists, a tradition that doesn't really emphasize seated meditation.
  • pretend to be interested in the muslims religion. Muslims have a maniacal obsession with converting people. Just pretend to be very open to converting, they will want your attention all the time.
    @heyimacrab, that's quite a serious and rather awful generalization.

One of my very best friends is Muslim. I've known her for years and she has not, even once, ever tried to convert me. The room that I used for meditation was, in fact, provided to the Muslim community by the University for prayers. My friend invited me to use the room, vouched for me, and was one of the people that sat in meditation with us today. In actuality, a third of the people that showed up to meditate were Muslim and showed no evidence of a "maniacal obsession with converting people."

In point of fact, I am interested in Islam, no need to pretend. It, like most religions, is interesting. Every discussion that I've had with a Muslim about religion has been open, honest, and quite the opposite of pushy.

Stereotypes are nothing but ridiculous.
    Invincible_summerKundolobsterNele
    edited September 2013
    @Invincible_summer, I did think of that.

I'd imagine that some people in Japan are Buddhists in a similar way that some Americans are Christians: "Oh yeah, I'm Christian. Jesus all the way! What? No, no, I've never been to church. Read the Bible? I don't know...it's just so long. Check out my WWJD shirt, though!"
    VastmindInvincible_summerMaryAnneKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    @misterCope - that's great news. So glad it's going well :)

In metta,
    Raven
    misterCope
  • Some Q&A (most often, my answer is "I don't know")
    You can assure them it is a good question and maybe the answer is available on the interweb, googleNet . . . what is that thing . . .
    If they find an answer maybe they would share it next time . . . :wave:
    misterCope
    So, I have another couple of questions for you all, if you'd be so kind :)

The meditation group I started at my university has grown at an alarming rate. I'm now doing it twice a week in a packed room with numerous requests for more sessions on more days. Here are my questions:

I've been invited by the school to make the group "official." Which essentially means it would be recognized by the University, I could advertise for the group, and some other political junk. But the opportunity for networking with other clubs and accomplishing positive changes in the community would be greater. In order to become official, I'd have to raise $300 and appoint people as President, VP, Secretary, and treasurer.

Do you think I should do it?

Also, with the demand for more meetings, should I consider asking another person to lead the group on a day (or days) that I'm not available? I've tried really hard to keep the whole thing very simple, and I think that if someone is dedicated and willing, he or she could lead some days.

Do you think I should do it?

As always, thank you so much for your kind words, solid advice, and good wishes!

• Do you think I should do it?

I think here, there is no answer but your answer.
    Trust yourself and do what you need to do.
    VastmindmisterCope
    edited September 2013
    you said...."has grown at an alarming rate"

What's the alarms going off about?

Sure, someone else can run the sit.
    Do you have someone in mind already?

BTW....positive changes can already be made in the
    community....just takes planning and being serious
    about doing it. What's the networking for?
    What's your main intention with the
    group? How is your feel for how it's rolling and going...???
    :)
    misterCopeJeffrey
    @how, @Zero, and @lobster, thank you so much for the advice...that's definitely the direction I'm leaning in.

I think that my worry is that the university might start interfering somehow. They have already been taking down posters because it's not an officially sanctioned group. They also shot down a request for improvements to the room for the same reason. My hangup on this is that I don't want this group to turn into some kind of rebellious thing; definitely not my intention.

@Vastmind, by "alarming" I guess I meant I was expecting sort of a small group of maybe under ten. However, There are something like 35 people showing up. So many that I had to split them between two days because we couldn't all fit into the room (and to fit easier into some of their schedules). I find myself startled every time I arrive at the room and find huge piles of shoes and backpacks in the hallway. So, not bad alarms!

I have a couple of people in mind. Not sure if they would be interested or not.

The networking...I'm technically not allowed to work with on-campus groups to do anything at. No posters, no "soliciting," etc. If the group were official, its existence would also be made known to all of the other groups on campus. My main intention is to help people. If more people know about it, I can help more people. Furthermore, once I graduate and am gone, the group would still exist to help people if it's been made official.

I think it's going really well. I guess what it really boils down to is: how large does it get before I need help?

Thank you all again, so much.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The way of the world does not tend to support the values of meditation. If you bed officialdom, expect some limitation to those values to be part of the cost.
    Dogen advised those wishing to set up places of training to stay as far away from kings and positions of power as was possible. The longer I practice, the wiser those words become.
    &

If your practice was Zen meditation then I'd encourage having a different capable group member to officiate with every gathering but as my experience with guided meditation is nill..I'll pass.
    lobstermisterCope
    @misterCope OK -- be careful what you pray for ... not because you may get it but because you will.

Try to keep in mind that all the to-ing and fro-ing is YOUR practice. Someone always gets stuck with the slimy end of the stick, but sometimes the slimy end of the stick is a good way to bring the bright and beautiful end of the stick into a more realistic focus.

If the university is being a pain in the tush, how about going off-campus ... maybe a church that would rent you a room once a week or something like that. It's a question you might put to the group along with your reasons for suggesting it.
    howStraight_ManmisterCopeVastmind