Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism? Religious Buddhism? Why not both? Or neither?

Comments

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Not at all, it's about beliefs and meaning. If someone holds ANY Buddhists beliefs they are subscribing to that belief system. The Four Nobel Truths, for instance, are religious beliefs. A "secular" Buddists who believes the FNTs is fooling themselves, or they are merely abusing the term.

Secular holds a lot of things, including science, merely rational behavior outside of an prototypical religious institution and so on.

If secular means scientific and scientific means it has to have peer reviewed papers, conferences and so on, then you could draw a circle small enough to make all sorts of behavior outside of that into superstition/religion, etc.

Anyhow, words are as people use them, they are fuzzy categories. I'd say the way linguists think about semantics is very Buddhist, where as no word has an essential meaning and the boundaries between concepts and words are generally fuzzier than we hope or imagine.

And on the topic of belief, a secular belief is probably more falsifiable, but no one is going to go around say, "I hold the hypothesis, which has not yet been proven false, that water will boil at 100 degrees", we just say water boils at 100 degrees. Likewise a secular Buddhist thinks this system just might work. But if it doesn't work, there is no faith to fall back on. So it's 4 noble falsifiable propositions that have so far stood up to independent analysis and review. But no one wants me to talk like that.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

@Chaz said: " The male/female ratio was similar to what we see here. "

With none of us knowing the actual numbers for 'here', what would your guestimate be?
    I'm guessing it's about 80% male, 20% female. With actual participation being somewhere around 90% - 10%.

I don't know that I can give a %, but it seems to me that there's 6 women (maybe) active on this board. There may be more registered, but I don't know.

That's a bit more than Freesangha at it's height. There was a couple women moderating there, too. Almost nobody on Freesangha these days. I don't remember seeing too many women on the old eSangha, but there were a few.

Women seem to come and go on Buddhist forums. That might be because men seem to be more aggressive, and that, as I'm sure you'll agree, can be a little off-putting.

One thing I have noticed out in the Real World is that in the sanghas I'm in contact with, women can be more numerous than men and have an equal footing in administration of their sanghas. I find this quite a bit different from Virtual Buddhism.

riverflow
    MaryAnne said:

I was just about to say the same thing (as @vinlyn) .... there is nothing overtly 'religious' about the 4 noble truths nor the 8 fold path. They are more or less "observations" (about suffering) and the "instructions" to reduce and/or eliminate one's suffering....

No mention of 'god', heaven, hell, ghosts, demons, or any "otherworldly" spiritual stuff.

Quite right.

That stuff comes later. Much later in some cases.
  • How do we know how many females are here? Aren't many who come here not reporting their sex?
    Those that I've read that make some reference to their gender and those whose handle suggests it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

Not at all, it's about beliefs and meaning. If someone holds ANY Buddhists beliefs they are subscribing to that belief system. The Four Nobel Truths, for instance, are religious beliefs. A "secular" Buddists who believes the FNTs is fooling themselves, or they are merely abusing the term.

Why do you say they're religious beliefs? The 4NT and the 8fold Path, mindfulness, non-attachment, and other Buddhist principles are precisely what lead a lot of people to conclude that Buddhism isn't a religion. The inherent logic of it and the lack of faith-based elements and religiosity in the basics is what attracts a lot of Westerners to Buddhism.

matthewmartin
  • It depends what you think (noble) right view is. Some views include bodhicitta and so forth and those might be considered more religious.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

I wonder how many of you noticed that every Buddhist online forum, whether secular, non-secular, or mixed, no matter where it originates, or which 'tradition' of Buddhism is its main focus - is unquestionably dominated by males.
    Just a curious point, no?

I noticed the male to female ratio right off the bat @MaryAnne.

I've been participating in a domestic violence support board for almost seven years, almost 100% female. Approaching Buddhist forums, at first, was a bit of a culture shock mainly because of the overwhelmingly male membership. It was more something to notice and then I never think about it, not until you mention it but yes, it is interesting.

As politically incorrect as it genuinely is, I find bantering and joking a helluva lot easier with the male versions of the species, something else to wonder about. This is true IRL as well . . . hmmm. Also, there seems to be less defensiveness or 'offense taken' be it direct criticism or imagined criticism. THAT is refreshing. This stands out in particular after experiences on the DV board, we're dealing with females coming from modern experiences of extreme male dominance, a very prickly bunch but sheesh, it's no wonder.

Gassho :)

• MaryAnne said:

I wonder how many of you noticed that every Buddhist online forum, whether secular, non-secular, or mixed, no matter where it originates, or which 'tradition' of Buddhism is its main focus - is unquestionably dominated by males.
    Just a curious point, no?

This is interesting, because all the Buddhist sanghas and special classes I've attended have been about 80% female, or more.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    The Buddhist People's Front.... no.. the People's front of Buddhism!
    Chazpoptartriverflow
  • Jayantha said:

The Buddhist People's Front.... no.. the People's front of Buddhism!

As long as it is not Buddhist people's back, it should be fine.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited December 2013
    So... everyone pretty much believes that life is suffering, or is that a Buddhist belief.

And about the cessation of suffering, do you know anyone who has ceased suffering? I'm thinking you haven't, so... that's a belief. What kind of belief? Oh, I don't know... a RELIGIOUS belief. :p
    Jeffrey
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nevermind said:

So... everyone pretty much believes that life is suffering, or is that a Buddhist belief.

And about the cessation of suffering, do you know anyone who has ceased suffering? I'm thinking you haven't, so... that's a belief. What kind of belief? Oh, I don't know... a RELIGIOUS belief. :p

I believe there is a great deal of suffering in life, but not that life is suffering.

I know people who have greatly reduced suffering, but they were not of any one particular religion. Some were Buddhist, others were Christian.

Jeffreyriverflow
    vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

I believe there is a great deal of suffering in life, but not that life is suffering.

I know people who have greatly reduced suffering, but they were not of any one particular religion. Some were Buddhist, others were Christian.

You are apparently illustrating my point, unless I'm missing something.
    Chaz said:

MaryAnne said:

I was just about to say the same thing (as @vinlyn) .... there is nothing overtly 'religious' about the 4 noble truths nor the 8 fold path. They are more or less "observations" (about suffering) and the "instructions" to reduce and/or eliminate one's suffering....

No mention of 'god', heaven, hell, ghosts, demons, or any "otherworldly" spiritual stuff.

Quite right.
    Perhaps there's a problem in that, apparently, not everyone understands that there's no "and/or" in the 4NTs. :p
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

Why do you say they're religious beliefs? The 4NT and the 8fold Path, mindfulness, non-attachment, and other Buddhist principles are precisely what lead a lot of people to conclude that Buddhism isn't a religion. The inherent logic of it and the lack of faith-based elements and religiosity in the basics is what attracts a lot of Westerners to Buddhism.

A lot of people, and I mean a lot of people, don't put much thought into what religion is.

And I made no mention of religiosity.

Nevermind said:

Secular holds a lot of things, including science, merely rational behavior outside of an prototypical religious institution and so on.
    This sentence is nonsensical. Could you rephrase?
    If secular means scientific...
    Secular does not mean scientific.
    ... you could draw a circle small enough to make all sorts of behavior outside of that into superstition/religion, etc.
    Indeed.
    Anyhow, words are as people use them, they are fuzzy categories. I'd say the way linguists think about semantics is very Buddhist, where as no word has an essential meaning and the boundaries between concepts and words are generally fuzzier than we hope or imagine.
    Peoples understanding of religion is generally far fuzzier than I would hope or imagine.
    And on the topic of belief, a secular belief is probably more falsifiable, but no one is going to go around say, "I hold the hypothesis, which has not yet been proven false, that water will boil at 100 degrees", we just say water boils at 100 degrees. Likewise a secular Buddhist thinks this system just might work.
    And they can believe despite evidence to the contrary, cuz that's how secular Buddhists roll.
    But if it doesn't work, there is no faith to fall back on.
    It never has to work, it only needs to be meaningful. If it ceases to be meaningful then, if meaning is still desperately needed, the universe may provide.
    So it's 4 noble falsifiable propositions that have so far stood up to independent analysis and review. But no one wants me to talk like that.
    The 4NTs have never stood up to independent analysis and review, just as the existence of God has never stood up to independent analysis and review.
    But no one wants me to talk like that.
    People generally want to know the truth.
    lobster
    Nevermind said:

You are apparently illustrating my point, unless I'm missing something.

I was just a tad confused by your post, but if I aided it...glad to have been of help!
    :o
    Nevermind said:

A lot of people, and I mean a lot of people, don't put much thought into what religion is.

And I made no mention of religiosity.

Two weeks ago I went to a Catholic Mass in a church I had never been to before. In fact, it's the first time I went to a Catholic service in over 2 years. Boring priest, too much singing, but a mostly beautiful building and a congregation that seemed into it. But it was interesting to observe the religiosity of the ceremony. Of course, I have seen just as much -- and sometimes more -- religiosity in Thai Buddhist temples, but it was still interesting to watch and compare religiosity to secularism.

edited December 2013
    Religiosity conveys affected or excessive devotion to religion, which is distinct from the root term religion.
    "Religiosity, in its broadest sense, is a comprehensive sociological term used to refer to the numerous aspects of religious activity, dedication, and belief (religious doctrine)."

Wikipedia
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Dakini said:

This is interesting, because all the Buddhist sanghas and special classes I've attended have been about 80% female, or more.

I'd guestimate 60% female, 40% male in the "real world". That's based on experience of a wide range of different sanghas over a long period of time.
    Nevermind said:

I think Buddhism does involve some assumptions, a particular view of the world.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Shall we build a secular world or a religious world or are they ultimately unnecessary and we should give them both up: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/samsara.html

edited December 2013

the "life is suffering" translation never made sense to me.. unless you add a second sentence " only because we make it that way".

two different traditions, but standing on fairly common ground.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/lifeisnt.html

"You've probably heard the rumor that "Life is suffering" is Buddhism's first principle, the Buddha's first noble truth. It's a rumor with good credentials, spread by well-respected academics and Dharma teachers alike, but a rumor nonetheless. The truth about the noble truths is far more interesting. The Buddha taught four truths — not one — about life: There is suffering, there is a cause for suffering, there is an end of suffering, and there is a path of practice that puts an end to suffering. These truths, taken as a whole, are far from pessimistic. They're a practical, problem-solving approach — the way a doctor approaches an illness, or a mechanic a faulty engine. You identify a problem and look for its cause. You then put an end to the problem by eliminating the cause.

What's special about the Buddha's approach is that the problem he attacks is the whole of human suffering, and the solution he offers is something human beings can do for themselves. Just as a doctor with a surefire cure for measles isn't afraid of measles, the Buddha isn't afraid of any aspect of human suffering. And, having experienced a happiness totally unconditional, he's not afraid to point out the suffering and stress inherent in places where most of us would rather not see it — in the conditioned pleasures we cling to. He teaches us not to deny that suffering and stress or to run away from it, but to stand still and face up to it, to examine it carefully. That way — by understanding it — we can ferret out its cause and put an end to it. Totally. How confident can you get?"

http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp1_f6.htm

a) Life is suffering

The Buddha told us that "Life is Suffering". One who does not understand the Truth of this may think that life is meaningless and become negative and pessimistic. Actually, this theory is commonly misunderstood. People in society and even some Buddhists are trapped in this wrong and gloomy view.

When we encounter phenomena, and have a feeling of dislike, worry or pain, we say that there is "suffering". This should not be generalised to "all life is suffering", because there is also a lot of happiness in life! Noises are disturbing but nice melodies bring happiness. When one is sick, poor, separated from loved ones, one has suffering. But when one is healthy, wealthy, together with one’s family, one is very happy. Suffering and happiness exist in all phenomena. Actually where there is happiness, there will be suffering. They are in contrast with each other. If’ we only say that life is suffering when things do not go according to our wish we are rather foolish.

The Buddha says, "Life is suffering". What does "suffering" mean? The sutras say: "Impermanence therefore suffering". Everything is impermanent and changeable. The Buddha says that life is suffering because it is impermanent and ever-changing. For example, a healthy body cannot last forever. It will gradually become weak, old. sick and die. One who is wealthy cannot maintain one’s wealth forever. Sometimes one may become poor. Power and status do not last as well, one will lose them finally. From this condition of changing and instability, although there is happiness and joy, they are not ever lasting and ultimate. When changes come, suffering arises.

Thus, the Buddha says life is suffering. Suffering means dissatisfaction, impermanence and imperfection. If a practising Buddhist does not understand the real meaning of "suffering" and think that life is not perfect and ultimate, they become negative and pessimistic in their view of life. Those who really understand the teaching of the Buddha will have a totally different view. We should know that the theory of "Life is suffering" taught by the Buddha is to remind us that life is not ultimate and lasting, and hence we should strive towards Buddhahood — a permanent and perfect life.
    anataman
    anataman said:

Shall we build a secular world or a religious world or are they ultimately unnecessary and we should give them both up:

As I see it secular Buddhism is as much a product of time and place as previous cultural expressions of the Dharma.
    MaryAnneanatamanvinlynriverflow
    edited December 2013

anataman said:

Shall we build a secular world or a religious world or are they ultimately unnecessary and we should give them both up:

As I see it secular Buddhism is as much a product of time and place as previous cultural expressions of the Dharma.
    And it won't be the last.

The lasting effect of this secular "movement" is yet to be seen. It may, and probably will end up being nothing more than fad and end up as a cultural footnote. Cultural evolution rejects far more than it keeps.

But @SpinyNorman is right. The secular move, and we can see this in many spiritual pursuit, is a product of time and place.

Both will change.

riverflow
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I think secular Buddhism has been around since Buddhas time even if it had no name. When rational thought and questions arise in conjunction with the dharma, there is secular Buddhism.

An agnostic Buddhist is a secular Buddhist as far as I can tell.
    ourself said:

I think secular Buddhism has been around since Buddhas time even if it had no name. When rational thought and questions arise in conjunction with the dharma, there is secular Buddhism.

Depends on the label the individual wants to use.. I consider myself a theravadan, yet i am agnostic on stuff like rebirth. I see more stuff as valid in theravada then i do secular because i feel secular takes away the full practice in many ways. So i dont throw the baby away with the bath water because of a few things when 95% of the rest is beneficial.
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

And on the topic of belief, a secular belief is probably more falsifiable, but no one is going to go around say, "I hold the hypothesis, which has not yet been proven false, that water will boil at 100 degrees", we just say water boils at 100 degrees. Likewise a secular Buddhist thinks this system just might work.
    And they can believe despite evidence to the contrary, cuz that's how secular Buddhists roll.

What is the evidence to the contrary? I'm losing track of which side you are defending. Are you implying that secular buddhist are actually shallow hypocrites whose philosophy is actually faith based, dogmatic and unmovable by reason? Or are you defending faith? (i.e. believing something because you want it to be true, essentially independent from the presence or absence of evidence?) Or are you defending the impossibility of knowing anything, which seems to be a big theme of new-agism in general? Or a general hostility to modernism?

If you can provide some evidence to the contrary, on the secular project, those hypothesis, conjectures, ideas and think we as secular practitioners think are true must be discarded.

1st noble true, life is misery. You can just ask people if they are happy or at peace (since peace seems to be what the Buddhist goal is, no so much about being giddy with joy)
    2nd - misery is caused by desire. This is testable. Operationalize desire & observe if people are happier/more at peace if they score lower for grasping.
    3rd - misery can be ended. Sure, why not? There aren't a lot of results in science that say something is impossible. What is impossible is discussions about post mortem experience. Actually, in the secular worldview, this is easier to demonstrate than in the faith based one, a secular person need only demonstrate that misery ceased in this life, where as in a faith base world, one must demonstrate the impossible-- that misery ended in the after life.
    4th - The 8 fold path is efficacious. This is testable.

The whole thing fits with the modernist program. If you don't like the modernist program, you don't have to participate in it. You don't even have to call it Buddhism, nor need you call me a Buddhist, I don't mind. There are 84,000 gate to the dharma, use what works for you. I have a severe impairment in the ability to believe. The challenges of misery are more compelling that the inability to believe two impossible things before breakfast, and at the moment, it appears that the solution to misery doesn't call for it. But who knows, I could be wrong. Maybe the only path out of misery is delusion and believing things that I have no evidence for or that I have evidence that doesn't support it. It's a testable proposition.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

ourself said:

Depends on the label the individual wants to use.. I consider myself a theravadan, yet i am agnostic on stuff like rebirth. I see more stuff as valid in theravada then i do secular because i feel secular takes away the full practice in many ways. So i dont throw the baby away with the bath water because of a few things when 95% of the rest is beneficial.
    In my defense I was only going by the word secular and had no idea there was actually a form of Buddhism with that label. After looking into it, I can see it isn't my cup of tea either. In my eyes there seems to be a lacking of something I can't put my finger on. It doesn't feel "right" somehow. But that is just my own opinion. If it helps people then far be it from me to say it doesn't.

I go mostly by the Theravadan texts myself but see a lot of merit in other teachings that seem to expound on the teachings within the Tipitaka.

From what I get out of swearing to take refuge in the sangha, I remain non-sectarian as far as labels are concerned.

For the so called 'secular Buddhist', the path doesn't need to actually end suffering or be true in other respects. It only needs to be meaningful, because that's what religion offers.
    vinlyn
    Chaz said:

The lasting effect of this secular "movement" is yet to be seen. It may, and probably will end up being nothing more than fad and end up as a cultural footnote. Cultural evolution rejects far more than it keeps.

But @SpinyNorman is right. The secular move, and we can see this in many spiritual pursuit, is a product of time and place.

Both will change.

Yes, both will change, but rarely does religion go backwards to where it was in the past. So the idea that cultural Buddhism will disappear and we will go back to Buddhism as taught in the "old world" through the ages...well, not gonna happen. Furthermore, forget about just Buddhism and look at what is happening at religion, in general:

1. Rapidly declining attendance at religious services.
    2. More and more small churches springing up, some thriving for a while, then falling along the wayside.
    3. More and more people saying they are doing their religion "their way".

riverflow
    vinlyn said:

Chaz said:

Both will change.

Yes, both will change, but rarely does religion go backwards to where it was in the past. So the idea that cultural Buddhism will disappear and we will go back to Buddhism as taught in the "old world" through the ages...well, not gonna happen. Furthermore, forget about just Buddhism and look at what is happening at religion, in general:

1. Rapidly declining attendance at religious services.
    2. More and more small churches springing up, some thriving for a while, then falling along the wayside.

I agree, but these can't be considered more than trends.

Cultures change over centuries, not years. They take what works best for the culture/society and the rest is discarded. We can't force the process to our liking and it will take whatever form, needs to be taken to support the parent culture.

Simple as that.

Church attendence always fluctuates.

Peoples opinion of religion is the same.

People will try to do it their way until it becomes clear that it won't work. Religion serves the society and not the individual.

The reason things are going the way you observe is because western society is collapsing right now.

edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

It only needs to be meaningful, because that's what religion offers.

It's easier to hold the notion that life has no particular purpose, no meaning, no reason, no goals established by outside forces -- who was there to set up the world to have any meaning? Life (i.e. being conscious) is a hammer in want of a nail. We are born with a hammer and spend time looking for a nail. There is no meaning to life, no nails-- we're the by product of geology, evolution and chance. Consciousness is the incredibly surprising circumstance we find ourselves in, and it is an uncomfortable, stressful, situation we find ourselves in-- what is the meaning of this pain & anguish? Don't know, don't need to know, don't need to care even. It just is. The only project is a project we make up ourselves, or we might borrow one off the shelf from religion or in the secular realm at walmart. The project of doing something about the misery is useful and finding something potentially useful or potentially effective calls for very little faith.

Chaz said:

People will try to do it their way until it becomes clear that it won't work.

What, exactly, isn't working?

edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

This is an important trend. Just yesterday bouncing around the internet I read about a Nichiren follower than has set up an elaborate independent Nichiren practice specifically to independent of organized religion.

And I even found on an ex-Scientologist forum people who are trying to secularize Scientology. The mind boggles at what a difficult task that is, but it does demonstrate that this is a cross-sectarian and cross-religious movement, not a brief fad.
    vinlyn said:

Chaz said:

Only time will tell.

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

Chaz said:

Only time will tell.

My, what a convenient answer.

I'm afraid that you're not taking into account the cat out of the bag concept, but are taking into the account the my version of Buddhism is the only right version of Buddhism concept.

vinlyn said:

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

Chaz said:

Only time will tell.

My, what a convenient answer.

But it's true!

The process of cultural evolution takes it's own sweet time and adapts as circustances warrant.

Of course, a secular movement towards, is out there and trending, but how successful this trend will be has yet to be established.

There are studies that show that Buddhism is growing in the US at an exponentialy greater rate than even Chritianity. Does that mean that Buddhism will become the dominant religion? No. All that means is that it's growing at this time
    I'm afraid that you're not taking into account the cat out of the bag concept, but are taking into the account the my version of Buddhism is the only right version of Buddhism concept.
    No. I don't really care what form it takes, because I won't live long enough to see these things happen. yes, tha cat's out of the bag. Sooner or later another cat will get out.

When Frank Herbert wrote Dune, one of the religious movements in his version of human space was what he called Zensunni. This was a Zen Buddhism / Sunni Islam hybrid. An unlikely hybrid to be sure, but it could happen (given 10,000 years).

Nevermind said:

It only needs to be meaningful, because that's what religion offers.

It's easier to hold the notion that life has no particular purpose, no meaning, no reason, no goals established by outside forces -- who was there to set up the world to have any meaning? Life (i.e. being conscious) is a hammer in want of a nail. We are born with a hammer and spend time looking for a nail. There is no meaning to life, no nails-- we're the by product of geology, evolution and chance. Consciousness is the incredibly surprising circumstance we find ourselves in, and it is an uncomfortable, stressful, situation we find ourselves in-- what is the meaning of this pain & anguish? Don't know, don't need to know, don't need to care even. It just is. The only project is a project we make up ourselves, or we might borrow one off the shelf from religion or in the secular realm at walmart. The project of doing something about the misery is useful and finding something potentially useful or potentially effective calls for very little faith.

The project of doing something about the misery is... meaningful. It only needs to be meaningful. It doesn't need to be true.
    Cultural evolution does take its own sweet time, though perhaps not as long as you think -- and I say that looking back at the changes in this country and the world just in my life time.

But cultural evolution rarely goes backwards. So a return to an old world version of Buddhism is pretty unlikely. That's the cat out of the bag concept. Personal freedom -- freedom of personal though -- steadily progresses. Yes, there are occasional steps backward, but far more steps forward...and that's the way human history has pretty much evolved.
    MaryAnneriverflow
    edited December 2013
    Cultures change over centuries, not years. They take what works best for the culture/society and the rest is discarded.
    That must explain why my culture/society is so awesome and works so goodly. :p
  • @vinlyn, but there is see-sawing sometimes. Like liberal was a bad word 10 to 20 years ago and now there are proud liberals. In history 'fire and brimstone' and evangelism were once very strong, like when the shakers were recruiting members. That might swing back once again.
    Chaz
    vinlyn said:

Personal freedom -- freedom of personal though -- steadily progresses.

It's that trend towards the individual trumping the collective is what's tearing society apart and won't last.

Progress is a tricky term.

Jeffrey said:

@vinlyn, but there is see-sawing sometimes. Like liberal was a bad word 10 to 20 years ago and now there are proud liberals. In history 'fire and brimstone' and evangelism were once very strong, like when the shakers were recruiting members. That might swing back once again.

I said as much, it's often 2 steps forward and 1 step back, but I doubt you can cite many widespread and long-term reversals of a steady march forward in human thinking and behavior.

riverflow
    Chaz said:

It's that trend towards the individual trumping the collective is what's tearing society apart and won't last.

Chaz, you can't have it both ways. Either "western society is collapsing", as you posted a few minutes ago, or it "won't last".

You may continue this back-and-forth if you wish. I'm bored with it.

Chaz said:

vinlyn said:

Personal freedom -- freedom of personal though -- steadily progresses.

And the option would be to follow our leaders like ignorant sheep?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that's probably not a good idea.
    vinlynlobster
    I just ran across this phrase, in a very odd location and not at all associated with Buddhism, but perhaps -- to some extent -- it is apt:

"one romance is replaced by another"
    anataman
This discussion has been closed.