Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism? Religious Buddhism? Why not both? Or neither?

Comments

• But, as I've said many times, religion doesn't need to be true, it only needs to be meaningful.
    It is also good form to have heretics. I would like to apply this to the 4 Ignoble Truths

1. Existence is about as good as it gets - without existing.
    2. Stuff happens.
    3. Better Stuff is available.
    4. Do good *Stuff.

. . . Maybe it needs some work . . . anyway I'm off for a spot of persecuting . . .

*Stuff: see 8 fold commandments
    Dakini
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

What exactly is wrong with the FNTs being religious truths?

Personally I have no problem with it. But as a non-religious type I prefer to think of them simply as truths.
    Despite the fact that there is satisfaction in life, and that there are apparently no living examples of a cessation of suffering. Do you know what the word secular means?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Personally I have no problem with it. But as a non-religious type I prefer to think of them simply as truths.
    Despite the fact that there is satisfaction in life
    hey now... speak for yourself ;)
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Nevermind said:

...and that there are apparently no living examples of a cessation of suffering. Do you know what the word secular means?

re: Enlightenment without religion
    Secular Buddhism is defining enlightenment either as a direction you move in or some achievable goal, your choice, there isn't a well developed orthodoxy (and can't be!). Secularizing a religion entails dropping the impossible. It's like absolute zero degrees, you can get close to it, but those molecules are always bouncing around. If enlightenment means infinitely good, well, we can only move in that direction and the end of suffering is a linguistic flourish, like someone making their room completely clean (is that religion or just an expression of intent to clean a lot?)

In the Zen tradition, people meditate until they experience satori & that counts as enlightenment. It's self reported, so this is scientifically true in the same way that a survey of people with depression self report that they feel better after a treatment. Mathematicians and physics majors like to call psychology and sociology junk science because the objectives are less measurable, less provable, but mostly that is just posturing. Science works, even when you have to take into account models with self reported data, fuzzy numbers, probabilities and other complications.

I haven't seen much about quantification in Buddhism outside of ancient Chinese Buddhism that attempted to quantify merit. Maybe someone should do a quantified-self experiment for Buddhism, I should check the buddhist geeks community and see if it's already been done.

As for me, my reading implies that enlightenment is that "ah ha!" moment when you get the gist of how no-self works and some basic implications of it. So by that criteria, most people on the board are enlightened. The magic comes back only when we expect there to be magic after a metaphysical insight-- like immortality, the ability to adhere perfectly and effortlessly to an ethical system, and jump tall buildings in a single bound. Or at least fly and walk on water (both attributed in various stories to enlightened beings).

Secular Buddhism would not entail "hard" enlightenment, the one that takes kalpas of years, and where towards the end you become a superhuman being (Bodhisattva) with superpowers and maybe a whole land.

re: the word secular
    You are free to use words any way you want to. If you use a word in a way enough, you might sway a community and they will invent new words to replace the word you dislodged. The fact that there are two (radically?) different approaches to Buddhism won't change, and they both deserve a name. And the name doesn't even have to be a good name. Many technical jargon words in science are made of root words that were based on earlier misunderstandings. Sort of the the Holy Roman Empire, which wasn't holy, roman, nor an empire. But historians and geographers can still talk about the Holy Roman Empire and not be confused about the topic.
    edited December 2013
    You see, a non-secular will deny their own experience, believing that what they feel is not actually what they feel, merely because they were told that's the truth.
    vinlynChaz
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

You see, a non-secular will deny their own experience, believing that what they feel is not actually what they feel, merely because they were told that's the truth.

how do you know?

that pretty much goes against what I know of as the Buddha's teachings in the pali cannon, so I would not say that only seculars accept their experience. Also.. are you saying secular people don't question their experiences ?:P
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

how do you know?
    Because someone told her that it's the truth? ;-)
    BhikkhuJayasara
    Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

how do you know?
    Lol, okay, so tell us. Have you ever experienced satisfaction?
    Chaz said:

Jayantha said:

Nevermind said:

how do you know?
    Because someone told her that it's the truth? ;-)
    He hasn't answered yet. I do hope he tells the truth however.
  • The existence of satisfaction and happiness in life (Buddhism is about getting to happiness, btw) doesn't negate the existence of stress/frustration/"suffering". Why would it? :confused:
    Dakini said:

The existence of satisfaction and happiness in life (Buddhism is about getting to happiness, btw) doesn't negate the existence of stress/frustration/"suffering". Why would it? :confused:

It doesn't.

With satiusfaction comes our clinging to it. We cling out of fear that our satisfaction will turn to dissatisfaction. Our Happiness will turn to sadness and so on.

• What is a moment? This can be mundane or it can sharpen up our awareness and really make one think.
  • Chaz said:

It doesn't.

With satiusfaction comes our clinging to it. We cling out of fear that our satisfaction will turn to dissatisfaction. Our Happiness will turn to sadness and so on.

Right. The point being that the fact that we have happy or contented moments doesn't refute the notion that the 4NT's aren't religious beliefs.
    Chaz said:

Dakini said:

The existence of satisfaction and happiness in life (Buddhism is about getting to happiness, btw) doesn't negate the existence of stress/frustration/"suffering". Why would it? :confused:

It doesn't.

Imagine the sadness caused by clinging to religious beliefs. :o
    lobster
    Nevermind said:

Chaz said:

Dakini said:

It doesn't.

Imagine the sadness of not having any to cling to.

You deny your own humanity ;-)
    Chaz said:

Nevermind said:

Chaz said:

Dakini said:

It doesn't.

So let me get this straight, Chaz, it's inhuman to not cling? :p
    Nevermind said:

Chaz said:

Nevermind said:

Chaz said:

Dakini said:

It doesn't.

So let me get this straight, Chaz, it's inhuman to not cling? :p
    Not at all.

Religious thought has been a part of the human psyche for hundreds of thousands of years. Maybe longer.

To eschew religious thinking simply because it's religious is to deny something that actually helps to make you human and that's sad.

And to a certain extent to no cling, something humans do, is equally inhuman, but in that case it can harm us karmically.

However, to deny ourselves something because it's we think it's clinging, is merely clinging to something else.

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    So... What does it mean if we are satisfied with knowing no thing lasts?

Because of emptiness, things are so much more meaningful.

I don't know where being secular begins and being religious ends...

The mundane is absolutely divine and the divine is so mundane.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Chaz said:

Religious thought has been a part of the human psyche for hundreds of thousands of years. ...

And I always hope that some individuals will evolve in their religious thought beyond that point.

:lol:
    Nevermindlobsterzenff
  • Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Despite the fact that there is satisfaction in life, and that there are apparently no living examples of a cessation of suffering. Do you know what the word secular means?
    Where does satisfaction come into it?

Here is a link to a definition of secular for you.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/secular
  • ourself said:

It's easy to think about dependent origination. But in your daily life we day dream and have worries and doubts. It's easy to doubt that the self is not the body. How can it not be if I feel it? Emptiness is more understood in our emotions of clinging than in a rational idea. Both are good of course, but nothing substitutes for meditation practice.

You will NEVER understand dependent origination without meditating.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

ourself said:

It's easy to think about dependent origination. But in your daily life we day dream and have worries and doubts. It's easy to doubt that the self is not the body. How can it not be if I feel it? Emptiness is more understood in our emotions of clinging than in a rational idea. Both are good of course, but nothing substitutes for meditation practice.
    We'd almost have to give up caring for others if we didn't have any worries at all but these worries are just temporary and will pass eventually. We can doubt the self is the body, isn't the body, both and/or neither but we don't have to worry about it. What difference will it make either way?
    I can neither deny nor confirm that stance.

edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

Nevermind said:

Chaz said:

Dakini said:

It doesn't.

not having ANY views and beliefs sounds like bliss to me :)

mark this as one of the few times I will post TNH

last 1/4 of this little talk on Nirvana.

"when you get in touch with reality, you no longer have views, you have wisdom"

Just seeing things as they really are, whether that matches up with our beliefs and perspectives.. again sounds like bliss to me.

edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

Religious thought has been a part of the human psyche for hundreds of thousands of years. Maybe longer.

So has greed, anger, and hate... what is the relevance here?
    To eschew religious thinking simply because it's religious is to deny something that actually helps to make you human and that's sad.
    So you think secular Buddhists are sad. Well, normally people like you are preprogramed to declare that those who eschew religious thinking are nihilists, so you're something of an oddity. Perhaps you have more religious thinking to learn.
    And to a certain extent to no cling, something humans do, is equally inhuman, but in that case it can harm us karmically.
    Maybe you should think this through more. Your thoughts don't seem fully formed.
    However, to deny ourselves something because it's we think it's clinging, is merely clinging to something else.
    So for example, if one were to deny themselves an act of greed, that would still be greedy??? LAUGH OUT LOUD. :p
    vinlynlobster
  • However, to deny ourselves something because it's we think it's clinging, is merely clinging to something else.
    So for example, if one were to deny themselves an act of greed, that would still be greedy??? LAUGH OUT LOUD.
    I think chaz is saying that you can make demons out of gods if you have the wrong view that denying all things will provide happiness. In reality we don't have to give up the pleasure, we just have to deal with craving and all the rest.
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Where does satisfaction come into it?
    According to some religious AND secular Buddhists, it doesn't. :-/
  • ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

ourself said:

We'd almost have to give up caring for others if we didn't have any worries at all but these worries are just temporary and will pass eventually. We can doubt the self is the body, isn't the body, both and/or neither but we don't have to worry about it. What difference will it make either way?
    I can neither deny nor confirm that stance.

Are you sure that worries are needed to love someone? I don't think that is true. If you are overly worried about a loved one Mudita can help you see the beauty of life and death.
    Jeffrey said:

So for example, if one were to deny themselves an act of greed, that would still be greedy??? LAUGH OUT LOUD.

I think chaz is saying that you can make demons out of gods if you have the wrong view that denying all things will provide happiness. In reality we don't have to give up the pleasure, we just have to deal with craving and all the rest.

If you give up craving you'll just be craving something else? :dunce:
    vinlyn
  • Nevermind said:

If you give up craving you'll just be craving something else? :dunce:

How does that work? It seems like you are saying if you take off your backpack you are just putting on another. It sounds like non-sense in the sense of faulty reasoning.

It is kind of true. Anger is a one headed dragon. You see your anger and then just cut it with the part of you that is at peace and observing the anger. Craving is like a multi-headed hydra. You cut off drinking, then it is eating. You give up eating, and then you want to funk out your neighbors. The trick to dealing with craving is to be mindful of the craving and just let it be. Sit with it's negative state and just keep sitting with the lack of the pleasure. But don't knock yourself for indulging just keep sitting with and having compassion.

That's how to deal with craving. So you will be craving all manner of things. But you just meet your experience of the craving with your heart of hearts. The heart (citta) is indestructible and craving cannot harm it it just confuses you.

edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
    So you also don't think the 4NTs are true? (Chaz "nonsense" being kind of true) That there can be a cessation of suffering?

• Nevermind said:

So you also don't think the 4NTs are true? (Chaz "nonsense" being kind of true) That there can be a cessation of suffering?

Nevermind said:

You are really struggling here. The 4nt are the Buddha's first teaching. You have 83,999 left to go.
    You are stuck in first gear.
    Here is a pretty good book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wheel-Truth-Commentary-Teaching/dp/159030764X
  • Nevermind said:

It's like psychotherapy; do you believe it can provide a cessation of suffering, a healing from one's neuroses? Or is that a religious belief?

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

You are really struggling here. The 4nt are the Buddha's first teaching. You have 83,999 left to go.

We've been most discussing Chaz and your "religious thinking" about the FNTs.
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

It's like psychotherapy; do you believe it can provide a cessation of suffering, a healing from one's neuroses? Or is that a religious belief?

Religious practice is not as transformative as people tend to think, I believe.
  • Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

Are you getting anywhere?
  • Nevermind said:

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

If you had some experience, you might not have to have faith that you are right.
    Chaz
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Nevermind said:

Could you give some examples of what you mean by "religious practice"?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Dakini said:

I suspect there is a faith element to psychotherapy, or perhaps a placebo effect.
    I was doing my basics of Buddhism class yesterday and we were on the section on the growth of buddhism and sects. When I talk about the Theravada and Mahayana I also always mention pragmatic and secular buddhism in the class as well. A Few of these statements may be pertinent to the discussion.

http://secularbuddhistassociation.com/about/guiding-principles/

Understanding

Secular Buddhism understands Siddhattha Gotama as a human being, having lived within the cultural context of his time.

Secular Buddhism understands the four noble truths as an accurate, empirical description of the experience of living, and as a methodology of understanding, social behavior, and mental development.

Secular Buddhism understands the community of practitioners as integral to the positive development of society.

MaryAnne
    Nevermind said:

So for example, if one were to deny themselves an act of greed, that would still be greedy??? LAUGH OUT LOUD. :p

That, I think, would depend on circumstance.

One thing we can be sure of, denying an act of greed does not make you not greedy.

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

If you had some experience, you might not have to have faith that you are right.
    Your wrong, again. :p

Nevermind said:

Could you give some examples of what you mean by "religious practice"?
    I thought the subject was Buddhism
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

Yes, I'm getting to know you and your religious thinking.
    vinlynChaz
    Chaz said:

Nevermind said:

That, I think, would depend on circumstance.

One thing we can be sure of, denying an act of greed does not make you not greedy.

Because you're still greedy for something else? Is that what your religious thinking tells you?
    Chaz
    No because you're still greedy.

What, do you think that simply denying an act of greed somehow makes you not greedy?

Even liars can tell the truth. Does one act of truthfulness make a liar something else?
    Chaz said:

No because you're still greedy.

What, do you think that simply denying an act of greed somehow makes you not greedy?

Even liars can tell the truth. Does one act of truthfulness make a liar something else?

You wrote, and I quote:
    Why don't you just tell us what that means to you.
  • Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

Your wrong, again. :p
    Prove it. :rolleyes:
  • Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

Yes, I'm getting to know you and your religious thinking.

You need to get out more. :lol:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    OK enough is enough of this secular or non-secular nonsense…

secular buddhism means the same as agnostic buddhism: what does that mean? there is no god in buddhism? - guess what, buddhists don't worship a god duuuhhhhh; they deal with the human condition - when did god enter the discussion

Smite me - go on.

Oh you can't because you are too busy arguing about your religious beliefs?

Where did that boil on my nose come from?
    Chaz
This discussion has been closed.