Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism? Religious Buddhism? Why not both? Or neither?

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

But no make-believe in Buddhism? :lol:

Not in my Buddhism. It depends on which school of Buddhism, or if you're 'homeschooled', so to speak (studying on one's own). The only thing close to make-believe I've come across in the sutras (and I only learned about it here) is the part about the 32 realms of existence the Buddha discussed.

Tibetan Buddhism aside, what do you see as make-believe? You mean myths about the Buddha's virgin birth, and that sort of thing? I'd never heard of that until I came here.

I think if you stick to the Buddha's teachings (as best we can determine them), there's no make-believe (other than the 32 realms, AFAIK). It was after the Buddha's death, when a thing called "Buddhism" evolved, that various peoples around Asia added make-believe to it. As I understand it, the Buddha made a concerted efforts to teach reality, and how to come to an understanding of reality. It was after his teachings were turned into an "-ism" that make-believe filtered in.

Jeffreylobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Yes, when you spend a significant amount of time in SE Asia, you find layers and layers and layers of make-believe.

But the one school of Buddhism I dislike is the...well, it doesn't have a one-word name...so I'll just call it the we Western Buddhists know so much more about real Buddhism than those hicks over in Southeast Asia school of Buddhism

We Americans are a young arrogant lot of whipper snappers who know how countries with 2000 years of history should act!
    vinlynInvincible_summer
  • I think you stated it very well. In a single word comment, I said devotion. But I could also have said commitment. Muslims say Buddhists are atheists. And it is true that the Buddha (supposedly said), "When a person was looked for, none was found. So I suppose that would include a person as a deity. However, I have for a long time supposed that awareness is a unity and eternal and that would be a good definition of divine. So, if there is divinity isn't that religion? And, if there is not A GOD is that not secular. I suppose it depends on how you define things. I figure that's pretty much what you said too. Nice post
  • Jayantha said
    Ive heard statistics that more females are buddhists in the west then males(I've also seen more females then males in most places I've been to), maybe they are all too busy actually practicing dhamma to come on here and debate ?:P

I suspect your observations are correct. Maybe from genetic propensities. I suspect war has something to do with that also. Of course historically, Arabia only allowed one girl child-others were buried, by law-until Mohamet. That was a response to incessant local wars over scarce resources. Men were useful for fighting and women were a handicap that needed protecting-until Mohamet. He envisioned uniting the tribes and taking the fight to outsiders so he needed the population and promoted girls by changing the law.

Strangely, China may have a similar modern history. Right now China law litigates against girl children. Just recently they changed the law so that families could have more children. The boys were needed for potential-envisioned-wars and now girls will be needed to rebuild the population after a couple of wars reduce the population.

A hundred years from now historians may look back on China as we now look back on Arabia. Interesting to be an ant on the classroom wall then. Population studies are fascinating. Fernand Braudle has a lot to say in his book "Structures of Everyday Life."
    The spread of Sanscrit was a product of population wanderings from north to India and China. Namaste
  • I wasn't going to get into the weeds but: Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com

dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

religion (rɪˈlɪdʒən) —n: 1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny.

Now from a definite secularist Buddhist view. Emptiness means lack of inherent existence. That encompasses: beings, gods, cars, and breakfast. That means nothing in there from the beginning-that is what that means. So if there is nothing in there and then that nothing reincarnates you still have nothing in there. No being. That would include Gods and any other divine characters. That is what emptiness means. Now we have the four noble truths. Some say the cause of suffering is desire. I think that is an incomplete understanding. If I desire that you suffer less how is that causing suffering. So, suffering is caused by desire, motivated by self cherishing. Why? Because grasping after the self is delusional. So self is empty. So if a God were a person he-they-would also be delusional. Empty of inherent being. This is the perfection of wisdom. Really.

Now there is a lot of tendency in Christians and Muslims and Hindoos and... to grasp after the self and want a continuation for the self. Priests go along with this and it fits in real well with doing good works, creating good karma and etc. for the benefit of a better life. But this is just more grasping after self. More self now and more self later and that is the cause of suffering. And that suffering is not going to end until we quit it.

The Buddha taught human kindness. Not for the sake of a better life when you reincarnate but for the sake of the person you are kind to. Now that person is also empty so why bother? Well the answer is: The suffering is real suffering. The compassion is real compassion and why is this so? Because awareness is not empty.
    Awareness is eternal. Now there may not be a person/god thing but there is awareness.
    And if Awareness is eternal then that is pretty divine. If you say well yes and it is that awareness that will reincarnate. Well, OK. But that awareness won't be you and won't have your mental constructs and thinking otherwise, is just more grasping after self and is the cause of suffering-yours. And it makes human kindness harder to come by because we are all balled up with a butter matted bag of self interest and it's hard to look out at the other guy.

I don't want to get into the teachings on karma and hell realms and etc.-not now.
    But let me say, it is just fine with me if you don't agree. It's OK for you to feel free to say-you are wrong. I get that. The Prajnaparamita is not read or followed by some Buddhists and that, is also one of the paths the Buddha precipitated. But it's harder to get to the truth-through the delusion-when you are practicing human kindness for the sake of the small self-which is empty.

How can a person experience awareness without an object if they are balled up in wisdom for self. That is not the perfection of wisdom. The self is an object which must be transcended in order to be greatly enlightened.

So. Because awareness is eternal and pervasive, it is divine and that is religion according to the dictionary definition above. But because the person is empty of inherent existence there can be no God which is a person. But, there are those who are Buddhists who don't agree. And that is also a religion.

So the question isn't secular or religion-what is Buddhism. The question is do you understand emptiness and awareness or do you see a divine presence in the form of a person. Either way Buddhism is a religion. Either way Buddhism is also secular wisdom and teachings. May the good be yours, Dennis

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Dennis1 said:

Now there is a lot of tendency in Christians and Muslims and Hindoos and... to grasp after the self and want a continuation for the self. Priests go along with this and it fits in real well with doing good works, creating good karma and etc. for the benefit of a better life. But this is just more grasping after self. More self now and more self later and that is the cause of suffering. And that suffering is not going to end until we quit it.

I don't want to get into the teachings on karma and hell realms and etc.-not now.
    But let me say, it is just fine with me if you don't agree. It's OK for you to feel free to say-you are wrong. I get that. The Prajnaparamita is not read or followed by some Buddhists and that, is also one of the paths the Buddha precipitated. But it's harder to get to the truth-through the delusion-when you are practicing human kindness for the sake of the small self-which is empty.

So the question isn't secular or religion-what is Buddhism. The question is do you understand emptiness and awareness or do you see a divine presence in the form of a person. Either way Buddhism is a religion. Either way Buddhism is also secular wisdom and teachings. May the good be yours, Dennis

Here's my view: "Pure"/perfect Buddhists (whatever that means) may be right. Pure/perfect Christians may be right. Pure/perfect Muslims may be right. Pure/perfect _________ may be right.

No one knows.

Period.

That's not one iota of proof of even one comma of any religious text.

But in all major religions, there is wisdom. How much one accepts from this or that religion varies.

I have my view. If you don't like my view, fine. I don't give a holy shit. If I don't like your view, fine. You shouldn't give a holy shit.

It's up to each individual.

And who knows, maybe each religion has a part of the truth. Or none.

DaftChrisriverflowMaryAnneDennis1
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Chaz said:

If you fancy yourself a secular Buddhist, are you also a secular theist?

That's what I was wondering. ;)
    vinlyn said:

Yes, I am still religious, but in a different way than most. I feel comfortable walking into any Buddhist temple, any Protestant church, any Catholic church, any Unitarian church. I'm interested to go into Islamic mosques, although there are barriers to that, of course. Have been in Jewish mosques, and felt comfortable there. In all of those places I find a place I can focus. I accept what I can, and out the rest to the side.

Fair enough, and I'm much the same. But previously you have identified as a secular Buddhist and you seem to reject the religious aspects of Buddhism - it seems a bit incongruous when combined with a belief in God?

• I think I can see how it can work (for @vinlyn and others).
    If I'm understanding him right, one can have a belief in "God" of no special religious connection... just as a creator God; and that same someone can follow the basics of Buddhism (precepts, 4NT, 8FP) to the best of their abilities, without any (or very limited amount) of the (Buddhist) religious aspects. So it's possible to be a 'secular Buddhist' and still believe in "god"...

I'm pretty much on the same page as @vinlyn, except I'm not all that into a 'creator' God, really. The Buddhism I practice is pretty much secular. So I call myself a secular Buddhist as well. :D
  • My teacher once joked about us, he said:

What can we do? if we explain to a lay person who goes to the pagoda and asks: "What is my reward for years of devotion? What is Nirvana?". And we tell him or her that attain Nirvana means a true experience of complete emptiness. That person will get into his car and turns right to the corner where the Catholic church is. LOL.

My point is... What is my point? I am lost in this sea of debates. :)

Chaz said:

If you fancy yourself a secular Buddhist, are you also a secular theist?

That's what I was wondering. ;)
    Already answered: "To some extent".

For example, if I go into a Christian church, do I believe the wine changes to blood and the wafer or bread into flesh? No.

But do I look at the Sermon On The Mount, just as I look at many Suttas from Buddha and say, "Ah, yes, there's wisdom." Yes.

Do I believe that Jesus was the Son of God? No.

Do I believe Jesus and Buddha were both wise teachers? Yes.

lobsterriverflow
    edited December 2013

vinlyn said:

Yes, I am still religious, but in a different way than most. I feel comfortable walking into any Buddhist temple, any Protestant church, any Catholic church, any Unitarian church. I'm interested to go into Islamic mosques, although there are barriers to that, of course. Have been in Jewish mosques, and felt comfortable there. In all of those places I find a place I can focus. I accept what I can, and out the rest to the side.

Fair enough, and I'm much the same. But previously you have identified as a secular Buddhist and you seem to reject the religious aspects of Buddhism - it seems a bit incongruous when combined with a belief in God?

Okay, I get it. That's your judgement.

Look, in another thread they're talking about prayer wheels. The concept makes me laugh. Although, I think from a cultural standpoint, it's cool. I feel the same way about rosary beads.

Christian heaven and hell. I don't know. Maybe.

Buddhist heaven and hell. I don't know. Maybe.

Christian angels. I don't know. Maybe.

Various Buddhist creatures that are not human. I don't know. Maybe.

riverflowChaz
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2013
    First of all, oh dear God, what have I started? :hair:

Secondly, I've been busy with school and work, so I have not really been able to respond in kind to this crazy labyrinth of a thread. However, since this semester is over, I will respond to a few posts which catch my eye.
    Dakini said:

vinlyn said:

Personally, I believe in a creator-God, but not a micromanager God.

Definitely a religious belief, and not a Buddhist one.

Believing in a God always seemed like adult belief in Santa Claus, when I was a kid. He knows when you've been naughty or nice, and metes out punishment accordingly (Heaven or Hell). I never could understand why adults would believe in a Santa Claus in the sky. Who, rumor had it, had a son named Jesus. That's exactly why Buddhism appealed to me at that age; no make-believe. Just logic.
    The idea of God which watches you and judges everything you do is A.) a very westernized concept found in the "Abrahamic" religions (and even then, not all believe in this concept) and B.) is not the only belief in God found in the world. Go up to a Hindu or a Sikh and tell them about that particular view of God and many will look at you as if you're crazy.

I myself believe in God, but it is most certainly not the western concept of monotheism which is prevalent in American culture. I'm a Panentheist, who believe that this greater reality and force we call "God" is both within and beyond our understanding. That it is the ground of being of reality from which the laws of the universe originate. It is impersonal, enternal and unchanging.

Most certainly not the "adult belief in Santa Claus".

Dakini said:

Tibetan Buddhism aside, what do you see as make-believe? You mean myths about the Buddha's virgin birth, and that sort of thing? I'd never heard of that until I came here.

I wouldn't call it "make-believe", but there are certainly more Buddhist schools other than Tibetan which have their own fantastical beliefs and stories which might be jarring to westerners.

1.) Amitabha and Pure Land.

2.) The idea of literal karma being the causes of lower rebirths and being a form of punishment as such.

3.) Generally Speaking, Nichirin Buddhists often claiming that their school is the only "true path". And that the Lotus Sutra is the only uncorrupt one in the entire Buddhist canon.

4.) The myths of Buddhas birth, death and everything in between. Which, by the way, were taught in both my High school history classes as well as college humanities classes. I didn't first hear of them by joining this site.

5.) The Bodhisattvas and other otherworldly beings. Including hungry ghosts and devas.
    DaftChris said:

First of all, oh dear God, what have I started? :hair:

The idea of God which watches you and judges everything you do is A.) a very westernized concept found in the "Abrahamic" religions (and even then, not all believe in this concept) and B.) is not the only belief in God found in the world. ...

I myself believe in God, but it is most certainly not the western concept of monotheism which is prevalent in American culture. I'm a Panentheist, who believe that this greater reality and force we call "God" is both within and beyond our understanding. That it is the ground of being of reality from which the laws of the universe originate. It is impersonal, enternal and unchanging.

Most certainly not the "adult belief in Santa Claus".

I wouldn't call it "make-believe", but there are certainly more Buddhist schools other than Tibetan which have their own fantastical beliefs and stories which might be jarring to westerners.

2.) The idea of literal karma being the causes of lower rebirths and being a form of punishment as such.

3.) Generally Speaking, Nichirin Buddhists often claiming that their school is the only "true path". And that the Lotus Sutra is the only uncorrupt one in the entire Buddhist canon.

4.) The myths of Buddhas birth, death and everything in between. Which, by the way, were taught in both my High school history classes as well as college humanities classes. I didn't first hear of them by joining this site.

5.) The Bodhisattvas and other otherworldly beings. Including hungry ghosts and devas.

I'm not sure why you say Abrahamic religions are Western in nature since they began in the Middle East.

I like how you delineated some of the make-believe aspects of Buddhism. Thank you.

And by the way, what you started was a rather good discussion.

Jeffrey
  • ^^ Very interesting post, @Hamsaka. Very interesting.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    And in this current period of time - we are not mindful of what we are supposed to be doing. Sure discuss demons, hells, ghosts, physics, metaphysics quantum physics or even your sunday roast - but It's like this friends. The human world is drunk on the gluttony of its own self- depiction, personification, gratification, celebration, education, inanation such that we are all missing the simple point of aiming to exist in our natural state.

When the buddha said after he became enlightened 'this dharma is so subtle I don't think people will get it (my translation) so maybe shouldn't even attempt to go there - he was deadly serious. to the extent that we are so deluded that a simple presentation of the truth is regarded as contemptible, because it is so simple - 'our selves are not simple to understand! oh No!). When you read about buddhas students becoming enlightened with a single word or practice - it is because someone who understood the dharma said it with conviction to someone with an open heart and mind.
    lobsterVastmind
  • DaftChris said:

Thanks, Chris, I'm glad someone finally answered my question.

Hungry ghosts, AFAIK, are exclusive to TB, which I set aside. And there are no Bodhisattvas in Theravada. But even in the Mahayana, I guess I'd always thought of Bodhisattvahood as a goal all of us could strive for, not as a group of supernatural beings. Maybe that was my mistake. And does Buddhism have devas? Aren't those Hindu?

Wow, what college humanities courses did you take? None in my university taught Buddhist mythology, unless there was a comparative religions class. Not even the Tibetan Buddhism course I took taught that! No HS classes dealt with religion, or the history of religion, either. I kind of like the bare-bones Buddhism I learned from my own reading. It works. :)

Dakini said:

Hungry ghosts, AFAIK, are exclusive to TB, which I set aside. And there are no Bodhisattvas in Theravada. But even in the Mahayana, I guess I'd always thought of Bodhisattvahood as a goal all of us could strive for, not as a group of supernatural beings. Maybe that was my mistake. And does Buddhism have devas? Aren't those Hindu?

No, hungry ghosts are found in Theravada Buddhism. See, for example, http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh462.pdf

Devas are depicted in Theravada imagery in Thailand a lot.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Dakini said:

No, hungry ghosts are found in Theravada Buddhism. See, for example, http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh462.pdf

But are the really Buddhist? I'm not so sure. There's a good chance beings like Nagas, Devas, Dakinis and such were adopted by Buddhism in much the same way traditions like the so-called Christmas Tree was adopted by Christians from a pagan Solstice observance. Beings like Devas were probably brought into Buddhism because the basic idea of a Deva was a good way to illustrate certain principals common to Buddhism and other religions contemporary with it.

The same applies to Tibetan Buddhism where the native Bon religions was fused with early propogations of the Dharma, infused with Tantra brought by Padmasambhava, Mahamudra brought by Marpa, Chod brought by Machik Labdron, and even stylistic influence from Nestorian Christians (supposedly). Not all of this was strictly Buddhist. All these things were adopted and give TB it's unique cultural flavor.

I think the same thing will happen to Buddhism in the west where the same evolutionary strategy will take place. I think Buddhism will be fused with Christianity, seeing as it's the most common religion in the west, but not before a serious social and cultural collapse. Something will be needed to break up the current social order and allow for some isolation that will allow a social structure to be rebuilt.

THAT will be something to see.
    lobsterVastmind
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    anataman said:

And in this current period of time - we are not mindful of what we are supposed to be doing. Sure discuss demons, hells, ghosts, physics, metaphysics quantum physics or even your sunday roast - but It's like this friends. The human world is drunk on the gluttony of its own self- depiction, personification, gratification, celebration, education, inanation such that we are all missing the simple point of aiming to exist in our natural state.

When the buddha said after he became enlightened 'this dharma is so subtle I don't think people will get it (my translation) so maybe shouldn't even attempt to go there - he was deadly serious. to the extent that we are so deluded that a simple presentation of the truth is regarded as contemptible, because it is so simple - 'our selves are not simple to understand! oh No!). When you read about buddhas students becoming enlightened with a single word or practice - it is because someone who understood the dharma said it with conviction to someone with an open heart and mind.

Errr, someone with an open heart and mind doesn't need a word of dharma. :p
    lobsteranataman
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

Dakini said:

The Zen temple I joined was called the hungry ghost temple, in Japanese of course. :-/
    Chaz said:

But are the really Buddhist? I'm not so sure. There's a good chance beings like Nagas, Devas, Dakinis and such were adopted by Buddhism in much the same way traditions like the so-called Christmas Tree was adopted by Christians from a pagan Solstice observance. Beings like Devas were probably brought into Buddhism because the basic idea of a Deva was a good way to illustrate certain principals common to Buddhism and other religions contemporary with it.

The same applies to Tibetan Buddhism where the native Bon religions was fused with early propogations of the Dharma, infused with Tantra brought by Padmasambhava, Mahamudra brought by Marpa, Chod brought by Machik Labdron, and even stylistic influence from Nestorian Christians (supposedly). Not all of this was strictly Buddhist. All these things were adopted and give TB it's unique cultural flavor.

Here we go again with we Western Buddhists know more than those Buddhist hicks in the old world attitude.

But even aside from that, temples are highly regulated in Thailand by the Supreme Sangha. If they didn't deem all the art in these temples as conforming to Theravada Buddhism, trust me, things would change.

I think Buddhism will be fused with Christianity, seeing as it's the most common religion in the west
    Hmm, I'm failing to see your thinking here. Can you possibly explain it? :p
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Chaz said:

Here we go again with we Western Buddhists know more than those Buddhist hicks in the old world attitude.

But even aside from that, temples are highly regulated in Thailand by the Supreme Sangha. If they didn't deem all the art in these temples as conforming to Theravada Buddhism, trust me, things would change.

As Vinlyn says the hungry ghosts are in the Theravadan Pali suttas, part of the 33 realms of existence, or is it 31, I dunno lol.

I do see where Chaz is coming from, questioning if the concept of a hungry ghost was not already something that existed in the Brahmin culture at the time and not something brand new introduced by the Buddha, but even so he mentions them and they are part of buddhist cosmology.
  • Here we go again with we Western Buddhists know more than those Buddhist hicks in the old world attitude.
    We often know more of different things. We can be more independent of the indoctrination and dogma. In a similar way, some people converting to Christianity away from its 'fluency have more faith and deeper requirements than the superficial 'clap hands here comes Jesus' type of emotionalists.

Some born in the dharma are extremely arrogant in their certainty, yet they only know they are not enlightened and are just polishing ignorance and some not even that . . .
    Some are like gold. Thus have I not herd . . .

. . . and now back to the cycling . . .

robotVastmind
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I like the idea, this is the truth..... for me. Another's truth may vary and I wish them wondrous blessing on their path.
    lobster
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

Various Buddhist creatures that are not human.

OK, so you're basically agnostic on all these things?
    Yet you believe in some kind of God and say you're a secular Buddhist?
    It still sounds incongruous - as if your skepticism is quite selective.
    Chaz
    Hamsaka said:

So, "secular Buddhism" also means "modern Buddhism of this particular time".

But "modern Buddhism" is a meaningless term. Buddhism of this time is all modern.
    ChazInvincible_summer
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

I think Buddhism will be fused with Christianity, seeing as it's the most common religion in the west

Sure, it's straight-up 1st year cultural anthropology. The status quo (Christianity) meets a new cultural influence(Buddhism). Conflict arises. The result of the conflict is a new status quo that contains elements of both the old and the new.

Some people call it purposive evolution.

Hamsaka said:

So, "secular Buddhism" also means "modern Buddhism of this particular time".

But "modern Buddhism" is a meaningless term. Buddhism of this time is all modern.
    Right!

Modern Buddhism is today's Buddhism, in whatever form it takes.

Sometimes, it seems, modern Buddism is used in a way that makes it synonymous with more areligious forms. This follows along the lines that modern/areligious Buddhism is dynamic, vital and changing while religous Buddhism is static, entrenched and unyielding.

I don't thinks that's true.

One area of significant change, in progress, surrounds the ordaining of women into the monastic sangha of Theravedin traditions. Quite a bit of controversy surround this, but the move is on, and won't be reversed.

The role of women in western Buddhist organization has progressed rapidly in the west.

Another area of change can be seen in Tibetan Buddhism. The practice of Ngondro was once reserved for monastics, but in the last 50 years has been offered to lay Buddhists. The liturgy I use for this practice was written by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and so is relatively new. Also in some groups, the course of Ngondro has been relaxed for lay Buddhists. Traditionally, Ngondro is a 4-stage practice with 111,111 repetitions of the stage's practice. At least two lineage holders - the Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche and the Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche now instruct their students to do 11,000 repetions of each stage practice. At least once Dzogchen school forgoes Ngondro altogether as a traditional preliminary practice for Dzogchen practice.

These are all modern ideas and changes because they are happening now.

Chaz said:

Sometimes, it seems, modern Buddism is used in a way that makes it synonymous with more areligious forms. This follows along the lines that modern/areligious Buddhism is dynamic, vital and changing while religous Buddhism is static, entrenched and unyielding.

I also wonder if it's a strategy used by secular Buddhists to try and claim the centre ground of contemporary Buddhism?
    Chazlobster
    MaryAnne said:

So it's possible to be a 'secular Buddhist' and still believe in "god"...

....but not to believe in rebirth. That's what I find incongruous, given that both rebirth and God are non-secular beliefs which cannot be proved.

Chaz

Chaz said:

I also wonder if it's a strategy used by secular Buddhists to try and claim the centre ground of contemporary Buddhism?
    Yes.

That, or to garner validity of their "version".

MaryAnne said:

....but not to believe in rebirth. That's what I find incongruous, given that both rebirth and God are non-secular beliefs which cannot be proved.

So are we actually dealing with simple cherry-picking of tenants of multiple religious systems to create some sort of completely personal belief system?
    edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

MaryAnne said:

So are we actually dealing with simple cherry-picking of tenants of multiple religious systems to create some sort of completely personal belief system?
    Yes, though I think most of us do that to some extent. Belief and disbelief aren't always rational responses, even for secular Buddhists. ;)
    edited December 2013
    Dakini said:

I think if you stick to the Buddha's teachings (as best we can determine them), there's no make-believe (other than the 32 realms, AFAIK). It was after the Buddha's death, when a thing called "Buddhism" evolved, that various peoples around Asia added make-believe to it.

Yes, the suttas describe beings reborn into various realms according to their actions, ie kamma and rebirth. But don't secular Buddhists reject that stuff?
    And what do you think was added later, and where is the evidence? Have you studied the suttas in enough detail to make an informed opinion?

Chaz said:

MaryAnne said:

Yes, though I think most of us do that to some extent. Belief and disbelief aren't always rational responses, even for secular Buddhists. ;)
    Tru dat!

We go with what works.
  • you know.... we're IN the room.....we can HEAR you.... :)
    Chaz
    MaryAnne said:

you know.... we're IN the room.....we can HEAR you.... :)

That's nice! ;-)

Chaz said:

Nevermind said:

Sure, it's straight-up 1st year cultural anthropology. The status quo (Christianity) meets a new cultural influence(Buddhism). Conflict arises. The result of the conflict is a new status quo that contains elements of both the old and the new.

Some people call it purposive evolution.

Religions have been coexisting for centuries, sometimes with violent conflicts. So why haven't they fuuuu-uuusssseeeedd???? :dunce:
    Nevermind said:

Religions have been coexisting for centuries, sometimes with violent conflicts. So why haven't they fuuuu-uuusssseeeedd???? :dunce:

They have and there are plenty of examples.

Christianty and Buddhism (Tibetan) are both excellent examples.

vinlyn said:

Various Buddhist creatures that are not human.

OK, so you're basically agnostic on all these things?
    Yet you believe in some kind of God and say you're a secular Buddhist?
    It still sounds incongruous - as if your skepticism is quite selective.
    By Jove, I think he's got it. Sort of.

I take wisdom where I find it. If Buddha says something wise, I'm into it. If Jesus says something wise, I'm into it. If Mick Jagger says something wise, I'm into it. If Harold (my barber) says something wise, I'm into. It's just that humans like Buddha and Jesus and a few other people have an overwhelming track record of being wise. So, as I've often said, I'm a Buddhist-Christian (or a Christian Buddhist). The secular part comes in because I'm not going to believe something simply because it's what the majority of people who believe in Buddha or Jesus say so. Rebirth? Open-minded, but I've seen no evidence, yet. Jesus arose...? Open-minded, but I've seen no evidence yet. Etc.

Now, the God-thing. There's a convenience store next to my townhome community. It didn't just spontaneously pop up. It was planned, it was built. My grandfather's cancer didn't just pop up spontaneously. He worked in a factory where there was a lot of particulate matter in the air, including graphite and asbestos...and he smoked heavily. My heart condition wasn't spontaneous. It's genetic. I could go on and on, but spontaneous generation is a long discarded unscientific principle. Therefore, I don't suddenly adopt spontaneous generation as the cause of the universe and life. And remember, 2 of my degrees are in science.

Then we come to you. You're like the child who is given a wooden board with 10 various shapes cut into it -- a star, a circle, a square, a rectangle, etc. Then you're given 10 pieces of wood to put into those shapes. You place the star in the star space. The circle in the circle space. Etc. 9 for 9. But the 10th piece doesn't fit the tenth place (it might be too big or small or not the right shape). The child takes everything back out and starts all over again, because his first thought is, I must have made a mistake. To you, I'm that tenth piece that doesn't fit. And it frustrates you. Even though you want the freedom to be a pure Buddhist and have no one question your right to be that, you don't want me or any other non-aligned person to be what they see as the way of things. It frustrates you.

You say my skepticism is selective. In choosing your religion, weren't you "quite selective"?

MaryAnneJeffrey

Chaz said:

Why do you think we have to have a strategy? Do you think we're all part of a plot? Why can't we just believe what we believe?

MaryAnne
    vinlyn said:

Why do you think we have to have a strategy? Do you think we're all part of a plot? Why can't we just believe what we believe?

You can! Believe whatever you want.

You can call yourself whatever you want, too, but that won't mean a whole lot.

MaryAnne said:

Turn it around. You believe in rebirth (I guess), but not God, yet you have no actual evidence for either. You must be cherry picking. :p
    edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

MaryAnne said:

I take it you've never picked cherries.

When I was a kid, our neighbor had a few cherry trees. Like most crops, all the cherries would become ripe at around the same time. So he and his family would pick all they wanted, and then they'd invited my family to come over and pick. But guess what. When you pick cherries, you don't pick the rotten ones. You only pick the good ones.

And there was a fellow once who walked around the countryside and studied under various teachers, but decided none of them had a cohesive philosophy of life...although I'm sure many of those teachers had some wisdom...that he cherry picked. Let's see. Who was that?

Yes, the suttas describe beings reborn into various realms according to their actions, ie kamma and rebirth. But don't secular Buddhists reject that stuff?...

Why do you make us so black and white?

We may accept it, with evidence.
    We may reject it, without evidence.
    We may hold it in reserve as we await evidence.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Not wishing to get too involved here - reincarnation is a fact: If you haven't got the self-evident fact that from moment to moment we are born, live in a moment and die to be reborn live and die in the very next moment, moment after moment then you haven't got reincarnation at the most basic level.

Forget past and future 'self reincarnations' what's happening now!!!!!

Ooops I died again! No wait I've been reborn! Damn died in that moment, reborn, died , reborn ….

Rise and shine! Where's your smily face? Come on - let's see a brighter side to living and dying, it what we do, and we all do it really well.
This discussion has been closed.