Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secular Buddhism? Religious Buddhism? Why not both? Or neither?

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

A lot of people, and I mean a lot of people, don't put much thought into what religion is.

And I made no mention of religiosity.

This is what you said:
    Nevermind said:

The Four Nobel Truths, for instance, are religious beliefs

That was the comment I was responding to. The 4NT are not religious beliefs.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    For some people they are religious. The reason is that right view is transcendental. (probably not an english word perhaps liberating?)
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

A lot of people, and I mean a lot of people, don't put much thought into what religion is.

And I made no mention of religiosity.

This is what you said:
    Nevermind said:

That was the comment I was responding to. The 4NT are not religious beliefs.
    I suppose that in a topic like this we shouldn't expect much sensitivity for the senses of words. :p

So if they are not beliefs that must mean you have ceased to suffer?

• Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.
    It's all just talk, until you take some action. Then it's something else.
    Call it whatever you want.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

I suppose that in a topic like this we shouldn't expect much sensitivity for the senses of words. :p

We are all works in progress. ;)

Jeffrey
  • What is the point I'm trying to make with this? Well, despite the fact that we humans like to create a black and white duality with virtuality everything, there is no need for internet bickering over labels such as "secular" or "religious". Don't get me wrong, while I love a good discussion, and while they certainly have their place in vocabulary, it eventually gets to the point where the words are so overused, they they almost become meaningless.
    Meaningless perhaps in terms of precision, not in terms of effect. The same words at different times, by different people, in different contexts can be heard in many ways. Do we want everyone to understand exactly what we do in the way we do? Sounds like a recipe for futile dukkha . . .

If we combine the experience of samsara and nirvana or transcend notions of secular and religious we perhaps have no static posturing . . .

Is there a need for bickering? Clearly, most demonstrably and meaninglessly there is . . .

. . . and now back to the mean, which I believe is sometimes a middle way . . .

The mean is the arithmetic average of a set of values
    Wikipedia
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

We are all works in progress. ;)

robot said:

Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.

That's just it, robot, no ones actions are such that they demonstrate a cessation of suffering. What to call that? Oh, I don't know, why don't we just simply call it suffering. That's not so bad, is it? or does that in itself cause suffering... hmmm.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

Why do you say that? Do you really understand the 4 NT? You haven't explained yet why you think they are religious beliefs.

• different people mean different things from the word 'religion'. I know there is a dictionary but the point is that we all have our own sense of words. So you could say we all have an internal dictionary,

I think the four noble truths are religious because right view is transcendental.
  • Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.

That's just it, robot, no ones actions are such that they demonstrate a cessation of suffering.

This is your belief.
    As you have said you also don't believe that an awakened human is possible.
    Others believe what they will. Pretty simple isn't it?
    What is the point of arguing whether a belief is religious or not?
    Then, you did say that your hobby is correcting people on the Internet.
    edited December 2013
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.

That's just it, robot, no ones actions are such that they demonstrate a cessation of suffering.

This is your belief.
    "As you have said you also don't believe that an awakened human is possible"

Where have I said that?

"This is your belief."

The difference is that it's a belief which doesn't contradict observable evidence.
    vinlyn
    edited December 2013
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

Why do you say that? Do you really understand the 4 NT? You haven't explained yet why you think they are religious beliefs.

How could you know there was a God in Heaven, for example, without ever knowing one. Otherwise you would only have belief in what others had told you.

So I ask you a third time, have you ceased to suffer?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nevermind said:

<
    How could you know there was a God in Heaven, for example, without ever knowing one. Otherwise you would only have belief in what others had told you.

Well, there is knowing, or believing, or disbelieving.

• Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.

This is your belief.

Where have I said that?
    Let me refresh your memory.

"Let me help you think this trough, Robot.
    Do you know any "enlightened" human beings? Of course you don't, no one does. There are legends of enlightened human beings, but no living ones. So it could be that in fact humans cannot practice the Dharma. Indeed, having no living examples indicates that a wiser and more compassionate species is required to practice the Dharma."

From "Avoid all sexual abuse"
    robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.

This is your belief.

Where have I said that?

Do you know any "enlightened" human beings? Of course you don't, no one does. There are legends of enlightened human beings, but no living ones. So it could be that in fact humans cannot practice the Dharma. Indeed, having no living examples indicates that a wiser and more compassionate species is required to practice the Dharma."

Are you trying to say that you lied before and you actually do know enlightened beings?
  • Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

robot said:

Nevermind said:

^^this is a belief.

This is your belief.

Where have I said that?

Are you trying to say that you lied before and you actually do know enlightened beings?

And now, it's time for a reading from the Lankavatara Sutra.
    Open your books to Chapter XIII, Verse 1
    Let's begin:

1." There is no form inside the mind / form is nourished by the mind /
    body, possessions, the world, and beings / from repository consciousness all appear

2. The mind, will, and consciousness / the five dharmas and modes of reality /
    The purifications of two kinds of no-self / these are taught by those who teach

3. Long and short, is and isn't / from each in turn the other arises /
    because one isn't the other is / because one is the other isn't

4. Analyzing something into dust / doesn't yield the idea of its form /
    but saying it is nothing but mind / doesn't please deluded people

5. This isn't a realm for philosophers / nor is it for shravakas / the teaching of those who would save the world / is the realm of self realization"
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    ourself said:

I think secular Buddhism has been around since Buddhas time even if it had no name. When rational thought and questions arise in conjunction with the dharma, there is secular Buddhism.
    An agnostic Buddhist is a secular Buddhist as far as I can tell.

It depends what you mean by "secular Buddhism", but in my understanding it involves a rejection of the religious aspects of Buddhism ( secular meaning "non-religious" ). So I wouldn't equate secularism and agnosticism.
    As for secular Buddhism being around since the Buddha's time, it's an interesting idea - but where's the evidence? An in depth study of the suttas might be a way to examine this theory, but then secular types don't regard the sutta's as authoritative, so...?
    :p
    Jayantha said:

So i don't throw the baby away with the bath water because of a few things when 95% of the rest is beneficial.

Yes, and assuming we even know what the baby looks like.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    This whole concept of the 4nt being a religious belief kind of blew my mind.. it's very interesting and it forced me to analyze the 4nt.

1. there is dukkha...well thats kind of evident no? at least on the more gross scale of basic human suffering, you'd have to practice to see the more fine elements.

2. The cause of dukkha is craving.. again I think this is something that can be seen with observation of our mind, I'm not seeing anything too metaphysical or needing belief, although I suppose it could be argued.

3. There is a way out of Dukkha, and samsara, that being Nibbana(Nirvana)... Ok now depending on how you view Nibbana, this can enter into the "religious" realms for sure. I like the Buddha's definition of nibbana simply being the cessation of attachment, aversion, and ignorance.. and I do think (I guess believe, since I don't know myself yet) that it is possible for a human being to get there.

4. there is a method to get the hell out of samara and dukkha, that being the noble 8 fold path.... Now this one , the noble 8 fold path itself, I think is fairly common sense and understandable, not metaphysical, for the major part of it. The only "belief" part I guess I could see is that in some places in the pali suttas when speaking of "right view" this does involve knowing and understanding rebirth and kamma, so at least that small part of it could be considered belief. The general concept of right view however is understanding and seeing the 4 noble truths themselves with your own experiential knowledge.. that is also the destruction of ignorance, and therefore the main part of right view.

Jayantha said:

So i don't throw the baby away with the bath water because of a few things when 95% of the rest is beneficial.

I don't give a Flying Fig what the baby looks like, so long as the baby's teachings are beneficial to my life and others.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

ourself said:

I think secular Buddhism has been around since Buddhas time even if it had no name. When rational thought and questions arise in conjunction with the dharma, there is secular Buddhism.
    An agnostic Buddhist is a secular Buddhist as far as I can tell.

It depends what you mean by "secular Buddhism", but in my understanding it involves a rejection of the religious aspects of Buddhism ( secular meaning "non-religious" ). So I wouldn't equate secularism and agnosticism.
    As for secular Buddhism being around since the Buddha's time, it's an interesting idea - but where's the evidence? An in depth study of the suttas might be a way to examine this theory, but then secular types don't regard the sutta's as authoritative, so...?
    :p
    Quite right... Somehow I got my terms mixed up there, sorry about that. A skeptical Buddhist isn't exactly the same as a secular Buddhist.
  • "Quite right... Somehow I got my terms mixed up there, sorry about that. A skeptical Buddhist isn't exactly the same as a secular Buddhist. "

Ahhh, but they very well can be. :)
    Skepticism is the reason I AM a secular Buddhist.

Let the word games begin! :coffee:
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

"Quite right... Somehow I got my terms mixed up there, sorry about that. A skeptical Buddhist isn't exactly the same as a secular Buddhist. "

Ahhh, but they very well can be. :)
    Skepticism is the reason I AM a secular Buddhist.

Let the word games begin! :coffee:

They can be but not necessarily. I am skeptical about some things and outright dismiss others but I am not secular as I see it.

Dakini said:

Do you really understand the 4 NT? You haven't explained yet why you think they are religious beliefs.

I wouldn't say they're religious beliefs exactly, but they do refer to rebirth.
    Have a look at this passage from SN56.11, which describes the second Noble Truth:

"The origin of suffering, as a noble truth, is this: It is the craving that produces renewal of being accompanied by enjoyment and lust, and enjoying this and that; in other words, craving for sensual desires, craving for being, craving for non-being."

Being ( bhava ) is one of the nidanas in dependent origination, in dependence on which arise birth, then ageing and death ( and note that birth, ageing and death are clearly described as physical events ).
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

I wouldn't say they're religious beliefs exactly, but they do refer to rebirth.

Quite right. Rebirth is a tenant of at least couple religions, so it follows for the 4NT as presented.

Also, the 4NT are the basis for a religion, so it can be viewed as "religious".

And, the actuall realization of the 4NT (not intellectual acceptance) could most likely be a religious experience, as in Saul of Tarsus' so-called "Road To Damascus Experience".

You can make religion out of anything, even something "secular". If you fight dragons long enough.....

Jeffrey
    You can make religion out of anything, even something "secular". If you fight dragons long enough.....
    Exact-a-mundo. :thumbsup:
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    So science is religion? Because scientists believe things? Why does no one behave as if these words are synonyms?

Words need to work along the lines of colloquial usage or one just isn't being a cooperative collocutor, like the Humpty Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland where words mean what ever you want them to mean.

Religious is a fuzzy set, like all words used colloquially, that sort of includes, things that entail unfalsifiable claims, truth statements that appeal to authority for evidence, involves an institution, strong opinions about superhuman entities, consciousness after death etc. But it's a fuzzy definition, like every word in every language. Some religious don't have an institution, some religions don't have superhuman entities.

If we focus on if someone holds a belief (to believe that puppies exist, that water boils at 100 degrees, that I exist, and so on) to say these are religious, is to move outside of it's colloquial usage. Great fun for a dada-ist joke, but not especially helpful.

Buddhism can be stripped of the elements that a colloquial speaker calls religion. And there will be something left. What is left is colloquially called secular Buddhism. This trick can't be done with Abrahamic religions, although people try (in my opinion, secular Christianity is... nothing left of interest, like praying to an Aristotelian un-moved mover, who isn't necessarily conscious to care about what you pray).
    MaryAnnecvaluezenff

• Yes, @Matthewmartin , the intentional Alice in Wonderland word games and feigned perplexities about common words often turns threads/OPs that start off fairly straightforward and precise into a long, loooong tedious hike up bullshit mountain....

I prefer to stay at base camp... where the food is hot, the tent is warm and the outhouse is only 10 yards away. :D

So science is religion? Because scientists believe things? Why does no one behave as if these words are synonyms?

Some do.

Does a scientist's "belief" constitute religion? No. It can't. Belief alone can't constitute a religion.

If someone holds something as sacred, such as holding science to be the final arbiter of Truth, and there are those that do, then science approaches religion.

If science is allowed to supplant the cultural role of religion, then it essentially becomes religion, because to replace part of the structure of a culture, the replacement must satisfy the same need.

If you want to remove certain "undesireable" elements from a religion, such as Buddhism, and carry on with the rest, you still have a religion. Kind of like the Lutheran Church dismissing transubstantiation doctrines of Roman Catholicism.

• Jayantha said:

This whole concept of the 4nt being a religious belief kind of blew my mind.. it's very interesting and it forced me to analyze the 4nt.

1. there is dukkha...well thats kind of evident no? at least on the more gross scale of basic human suffering, you'd have to practice to see the more fine elements.

2. The cause of dukkha is craving.. again I think this is something that can be seen with observation of our mind, I'm not seeing anything too metaphysical or needing belief, although I suppose it could be argued.

3. There is a way out of Dukkha, and samsara, that being Nibbana(Nirvana)... Ok now depending on how you view Nibbana, this can enter into the "religious" realms for sure. I like the Buddha's definition of nibbana simply being the cessation of attachment, aversion, and ignorance.. and I do think (I guess believe, since I don't know myself yet) that it is possible for a human being to get there.

4. there is a method to get the hell out of samara and dukkha, that being the noble 8 fold path.... Now this one , the noble 8 fold path itself, I think is fairly common sense and understandable, not metaphysical, for the major part of it. The only "belief" part I guess I could see is that in some places in the pali suttas when speaking of "right view" this does involve knowing and understanding rebirth and kamma, so at least that small part of it could be considered belief. The general concept of right view however is understanding and seeing the 4 noble truths themselves with your own experiential knowledge.. that is also the destruction of ignorance, and therefore the main part of right view.

Jayantha said:

I don't give a Flying Fig what the baby looks like, so long as the baby's teachings are beneficial to my life and others.
    It's circular reasoning to say the 4th NT refers to the 8FP and also say that right view refers to the 4NT. The buck has to stop somewhere.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I believe communication is the important thing. Dictionaries be damned, what is important is that two (or more) understand what each other is saying. You have to listen carefully and hear the other before making your own point.
    “The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?” ~Chuang Tzu
    zenfflobster
    Jeffrey said:

Jayantha said:

Jayantha said:

It's circular reasoning to say the 4th NT refers to the 8FP and also say that right view refers to the 4NT. The buck has to stop somewhere.
    the buck for what? I'm not sure of the point of your statement.

and all of the core teachings of the buddha DO intertwine with the 4NT...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.028.than.html

Ven. Sariputta said: "Friends, just as the footprints of all legged animals are encompassed by the footprint of the elephant, and the elephant's footprint is reckoned the foremost among them in terms of size; in the same way, all skillful qualities are gathered under the four noble truths. Under which four? Under the noble truth of stress, under the noble truth of the origination of stress, under the noble truth of the cessation of stress, and under the noble truth of the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.
  • I am saying you can't say the fourth noble truth includes right view and also right view is defined by the 4NT.

Can you see how it is circular reasoning?
    Jeffrey said:

I am saying you can't say the fourth noble truth includes right view and also right view is defined by the 4NT.

I don't understand... Isn't part of the fourth the defining of right view?

ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

I am saying you can't say the fourth noble truth includes right view and also right view is defined by the 4NT.

right view is part off the N8FP, so technically, yeah. I'm a bit confused myself to be honest.
  • Jayantha said:

ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

right view is part off the N8FP, so technically, yeah. I'm a bit confused myself to be honest.
    I have viewed the fourth truth as the truth of the path leading to the end of suffering.
    The 8fp is the answer to the question, what is the path?
    Then the question, what is right view, intent, and so on.
    You don't need right view to realize the 4nt. Each one is a response to the previous one.
    And so on through the teachings
  • ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

exactly. the 8 fold path has right view. if 8 of the path is the 4NT then how can 8 refer to the 4NT?
    For whats it's worth ....
    "And what is right view? Knowledge with regard to stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the cessation of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress: This is called right view." - DN22
  • Nevermind said:

I told you we're all works in progress, and that would include me.

You still haven't defended your position that the 4NT are articles of faith, not fact.
    edited December 2013
    robot said:

Jayantha said:

ourself said:

Jeffrey said:

I have viewed the fourth truth as the truth of the path leading to the end of suffering.
    The 8fp is the answer to the question, what is the path?
    Then the question, what is right view, intent, and so on.
    You don't need right view to realize the 4nt. Each one is a response to the previous one.
    And so on through the teachings
    its right in the definition...at least for the Pali, I dunno if its different for mahayana.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-ditthi/

The definition

"And what is right view? Knowledge with regard to stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the cessation of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress: This is called right view."

— DN 22

and further regarding right view ...

A thicket of wrong views

"There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person... does not discern what ideas are fit for attention, or what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas fit for attention, and attends instead to ideas unfit for attention... This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: The view I have a self arises in him as true & established, or the view I have no self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive not-self... or the view It is precisely by means of not-self that I perceive self arises in him as true & established, or else he has a view like this: This very self of mine — the knower that is sensitive here & there to the ripening of good & bad actions — is the self of mine that is constant, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and will endure as long as eternity. This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress.

"The well-instructed disciple of the noble ones... discerns what ideas are fit for attention, and what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas unfit for attention, and attends [instead] to ideas fit for attention... He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress. As he attends appropriately in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: identity-view, doubt, and grasping at precepts & practices."

— MN 2

I love how the buddha is basically saying, yeah don't waste your time with all of these views that get you nowhere.. just these 4NT
    Jeffrey
    Dakini said:

Nevermind said:

I told you we're all works in progress, and that would include me.
    You might ask yourself why it's so hard to admit the truth.
    You still haven't defended your position that the 4NT are articles of faith, not fact.
    It's not a fact for you, so why would I need to try convincing you that it's not a fact?
    Funny that in this topic the ones who seem to demonstrate that "secular Buddhism" is an oxymoron are those that can't admit the 4NTs are religious truths.
  • Nevermind said:

Funny that in this topic the ones who seem to demonstrate that "secular Buddhism" is an oxymoron are those that can't admit the 4NTs are religious truths.

So, in your view the 4nt are religious truths.
    How, if something is true, can it be true only in a religious sense?
    If it is a religious truth, it must also be true to the non-religious, or it would not be true.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    To me, for the most part, the 4NT are simple, yet sophisticated examples of common sense. I don't really think that Buddha is the only person to think of them, but he was the first to develop a coherent overarching view of them. Therefore, to me they are not inherently religious. Of course, one can make them a focus of worship, in which case they are religious.
  • The 4NT shift total reliance on your own mind. You don't have a saviour. It's all in your mind. Everything that is hard to deal with is transformed by the 4NT. I would call self-reliance spirituality if not religious. Because all poisons are transformed I would call it religious because of the magnitude of the power of the teachings to UNLOCK the power of the mind. Serva mangalam (may all be accomplished).
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Nevermind said:

It's not a fact for you, so why would I need to try convincing you that it's not a fact?

This is a cop-out. What's your reasoning in believing the 4NT are religious beliefs? What's your definition of "religious belief"?

edited December 2013
    What exactly is wrong with the FNTs being religious truths?

If a "secular" Buddhist were actually non-religious it should be no problem for them to accept Buddhist beliefs like the FNTs as religious truths, right?

Is there suffering in life? Sure, but there's also a lot of satisfaction. Does Buddhist practice result in the cessation of suffering? Apparently not for anyone currently alive. That's not so hot a track record for something that's practiced by millions. But, as I've said many times, religion doesn't need to be true, it only needs to be meaningful. It fulfills a desire for meaning, essentially. That's all that is required of it, and that's the most it offers.
    lobster
  • Nevermind said:

What exactly is wrong with the FNTs being religious truths?

Personally I have no problem with it. But as a non-religious type I prefer to think of them simply as truths.
    edited December 2013
    Jayantha said:

The definition

"And what is right view? Knowledge with regard to stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the cessation of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress: This is called right view."

— DN 22

The main treatment of Right View in the suttas is MN9, the Sutta on Right View: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.009.ntbb.html

Interestingly this sutta includes detailed descriptions of the nidanas of dependent origination, which seem to support literal rebirth. So again, it's not that easy to get away from "religious" content.
    David
This discussion has been closed.