Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone want to admit to being influenced by a Buddhist celebrity?

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
Particularly celebrities who are famous non-monks, non-meditation teachers. Obviously TNH and Levine and HHDL and Surya Das etc are famous among Buddhists, but they aren't rocks stars, movie stars, etc.

Didn't influence me much, I have to really google to find out which Celebrities are Buddhist or Buddhist leaning.

Comments

• I was influenced by my great grandmother. I don't even know of any Buddhist celebrities.
    matthewmartin
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I find it interesting (e.g., Richard Gere), but no, not influenced in the least.
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    I initially became interested in Buddhism because I watched the show "Life" starring Damian Lewis. I thought he was so cool and I decided to find out what, exactly, Zen is. Then I found out about Alan Watts. After that, I discovered Gil Fronsdal. And here I am.
    matthewmartin
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    There are no Hollywood celebrities who practice Theravada that I know of, so no all my celebrities have been monks lol, even if there were, I still have much more respect for monks then any famous person.

although I DO have to admit, I kind of liked Keanu Reeves as Siddhartha in "little Buddha".. I'm not sure he is a buddhist or not.
    matthewmartinMaryAnne
    I agree, I liked him in that film. He says he's non-religious, but has an "intense interest" in it.
  • Steve Jobs to some extent.
    Phil Jackson (coach of the chicago bulls and LA lakers)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Not really but I enjoyed finding out George Lucas is Buddhist.
    anataman
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "A-list" Buddhists
    A definite influence: I don't want to join that list.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    ourself said:

So all those people who put their religion down on census forms as Jedi's are really celebrity influenced buddhists.
    matthewmartin
    MaryAnne said:

Keanu Reeves as Siddhartha .... Little Buddha ... I loved that film. Keanu says (recently) that he's a Buddhist. But I have a feeling he might be one of those 'dreaded' Secular Buddhist types. ;)

"A-list" Buddhists:

Steve Jobs
    Philip Glass (composer)
    Herbie Hancock
    Steven Seagal
    Tiger Woods
    K.D. Lang
    Richard Gere
    Uma Thurman
    Orlando Bloom
    Kate Hudson
    Oliver Stone
    Leonard Cohen
    Russel Simmons
    Tina Turner

and most likely more....

Those secular buddhists must be routed out and burnt at the stake for their heresy!
    vinlyn
  • Not exactly "Buddhist" but perhaps "Buddhist-y" celebrity figures who certainly nudged me in the general direction of Asian thought:

The Beatles (and John Lennon and George Harrison in particular)

Cat Stevens (yeah, I know, he's Muslim LOL)

The Moody Blues

I suppose I could toss Alan Watts in there too.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    anataman said:

ourself said:

So all those people who put their religion down on census forms as Jedi's are really celebrity influenced buddhists.
    I wouldn't go that far but I'd guess Jedi should be considered an off shoot if folks are really taking it as their religion.

I never heard Yoda talking about the 4NTs though.

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    riverflow said:

Not exactly "Buddhist" but perhaps "Buddhist-y" celebrity figures who certainly nudged me in the general direction of Asian thought:

The Moody Blues

According to his biography and the documentary that included a whole lot of retrospection from his wife... George Harrison was definitely Buddhist; for many many years. His wife said his Buddhist beliefs helped him deal with his cancer and preparing for his own passing...

Dandelionanataman
    Cool.
    MaryAnne said:

riverflow said:

Not exactly "Buddhist" but perhaps "Buddhist-y" celebrity figures who certainly nudged me in the general direction of Asian thought:

The Moody Blues

According to his biography and the documentary that included a whole lot of retrospection from his wife... George Harrison was definitely Buddhist; for many many years. His wife said his Buddhist beliefs helped him deal with his cancer and preparing for his own passing...

I hate to be nit-picky but Harrison was a Hindu. He respected Buddha and Christ but put his faith in Krishna.

Yoda and Mr. Miagi were two teachers of mine growing up.. their wisdom was unlike anything this young child of the 80s had ever heard and it resonated with me greatly.

one of the many reasons I feel I've always been a buddhist, and probably was in a former life.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    You may be right, @ourself, I could be remembering wrong- it's been a while since I saw the documentary (about 7-8 months ago?) but I could swear his wife said Buddhism. ?? But now that I think about it... maybe I am wrong.

Edited to add: I AM wrong.
    "Harrison had a great affinity towards India. In 1966, he traveled to India to study the sitar with Pandit Ravi Shankar. In search of social and personal liberation, he met Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, which prompted him to give up LSD and take up meditation. ........
    Soon after, Harrison embraced the Hare Krishna tradition and remained a plainclothes devotee or 'closet Krishna', as he called himself, till his last day of earthy existence. The Hare Krishna mantra, which according to him is nothing but "mystical energy encased in a sound structure," became an integral part of his life. "

Thanks for the correction, Ourself!
    Hmmm, MaryAnne. First I thought he was a Hindon't, but now I guess he's a Hindu. You're just trying to confuse me! :D
    BhikkhuJayasaraMaryAnneanataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Oh hell yes, Leonard Cohen, of course he shows up on that list!
  • Is the Buddha a celebrity? The Dalai Lama? Is Dath Vader a Zen Buddhist or Secular Buddhist?

The Force is this and more. It cannot be fully described with words. You must feel the Force to understand it. To feel the force is what you will learn.
    http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/approaching_buddhism/teachers/tsenzhab_serkong_rinpoche/a_portrait_of_tsenzhab_serkong_rinpoche/part_1.html

• Allan Watts
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited December 2013
    No, I don't think I'm influenced by any Buddhist celebrities.

I'm not saying I'm "above" it, as celebrities could influence me in some ways (fashion perhaps, or books to read). But I come to Buddhism from a frame of mind in which celebrities are irrelevant. I find MaryAnne's list perhaps affirming, in an odd way, but the affirmation is retrospective. It is certainly not the path that got me here. Nor could any anti-Buddhist celebrity, if any should exist, lead me away.

For me, this is a self-powered journey.
    Jeffrey
  • seansean Explorer
    i love Uma Thurman's DAD.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    lobster said:

Is the Buddha a celebrity? The Dalai Lama? Is Darth Vader a Zen Buddhist or Secular Buddhist?

Buddha: yes. Everyone knows him. Dalai Lama. Yes, everyone knows him and he constantly in the media, including along side media celebrities. Darth Vader is in a galaxy where magic (or magic-is-science) is real. The force is described as being very similar to Buddhist and Hindu monism (a universal spirit that animates everyone/everything) Darth meditates, but all forms of Buddhism involve meditation. Darth has a guru and uses his anger and hate to fuel his sith magic, which is very Tantra-like (using the power of taboo things to achieve goals, although in Darth Vader, he's not interested in using taboo to achieve good things, he uses taboo to achieve bad things).

Darth would only be secular if magic-is-science, a trope that Marvel Comic's Thor uses, where Thor does fantastic things based on technology we don't understand (but could) as opposed to magic-magic, which is irreducibly inexplicable.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013

Particularly celebrities who are famous non-monks, non-meditation teachers.

Aren't they all Scientologists? :p
    Reborn
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran

Particularly celebrities who are famous non-monks, non-meditation teachers.

Aren't they all Scientologists? :p
    Ha, thankfully not. But the celebrity-new-convert connection in Scientology in part prompted my question. Celebrity advocacy is very much a two edged sword.
  • Gautama Siddartha Shakyamuni